Fantasy
1859th
12/8/2017 7:46am
Man, that is awesome!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/8/2017 8:02am
I saw that a couple years ago. It's pretty amazing considering the spinal cord was completely severed. It gives hope to a lot of people including me.
Phantom 661
12/8/2017 8:23am
Good news. I wonder how long my rehab would take after 28 years of muscle atrophy and Bone weakening after a successful surgery?
12/8/2017 9:01am
Paralyzed guys on here (I know there's a few), what are your hopes for our future? Would any of you guys do the e-stim route, or wait for an "actual" cure? I know a lot of studies are working on things like exoskeletons and stuff like that, but I'm personally not interested in that. I'd rather be able to engage my muscles fully by myself, and not be dependent on a machine. I'm only 3 years out but I still hope every day that a breakthrough is near.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/8/2017 1:46pm
HandicapMX wrote:
Paralyzed guys on here (I know there's a few), what are your hopes for our future? Would any of you guys do the e-stim route, or...
Paralyzed guys on here (I know there's a few), what are your hopes for our future? Would any of you guys do the e-stim route, or wait for an "actual" cure? I know a lot of studies are working on things like exoskeletons and stuff like that, but I'm personally not interested in that. I'd rather be able to engage my muscles fully by myself, and not be dependent on a machine. I'm only 3 years out but I still hope every day that a breakthrough is near.
Although the exoskeletons are cool and all, I'm also not interested in them. I can see how they can help someone around the house and stuff like that but they aren't really practical in the form of normal daily living. They're too slow, bulky and expensive.

I think stem cells are the most promising and the way to go but I'm not sure when it'll become a standard thing. I'd be open to do some clinical trials if they had something close to me. Paying for that I'm sure won't be cheap once it finally hits the market. I'm in Canada so hopefully it will be covered or at least a good portion of it.

I'll share a little something about my injury. When I got hurt it was determined that I was a complete injury which you know means no function or sensation below the injury level. Everyday I try and move legs and even though nothing moves when I try I can feel some type of current/sensation moving through my legs but it just seems like the signal is not strong enough to actually make them move. After I try to move them for a while it seems like the signals going down my legs get tired and go dead like it was too exhausting. It's a weird feeling. I do believe that if I'd go for treatments of some kind that I'd get some results out of it based on that experience alone.
144rider
12/8/2017 2:05pm
Good news. I wonder how long my rehab would take after 28 years of muscle atrophy and Bone weakening after a successful surgery?
That's what I wonder about.
Phantom 661
12/9/2017 12:39pm
144rider wrote:
That's what I wonder about.
Well, I'm 56 years old so I don't get too exited about a cure but when there is a cure.... and I believe there will be... those with spinal injurys that are fresh would have a better chance than those who have had a sedentary life for many years or decades. That's just strictly my opinion though and I'm no authority on the matter whatsoever.
There is always hope!
12/9/2017 2:36pm
Mav, that's the exact same feeling I get. I try to move them and I can almost feel like I can feel my muscles, but after awhile it goes away. Yeah I'm with you, stem cells are gonna be the way. They're close, but it's still a lot of time away.
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
12/9/2017 3:29pm
Mav and Handicap-Do you guys use or have access to a FES (electric stim) bike?
I see a couple of SCI for home therapy and I will set them up on the bikes for the therapy treatment. Good cardio and keeps the lower extremity muscles healthy.
144rider
12/9/2017 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 3:46pm
My mate (RIP), still holds the Paraplegic world record for a bench press, he actually broke his own world record about 3 times. But his legs and feet looked like they were dead. I can't imagine how they ever would've returned to fully functional again.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/9/2017 3:51pm
jmc2 wrote:
Mav and Handicap-Do you guys use or have access to a FES (electric stim) bike? I see a couple of SCI for home therapy and I...
I see a couple of SCI for home therapy and I will set them up on the bikes for the therapy treatment. Good cardio and keeps the lower extremity muscles healthy.
I know the type of bike you're talking about and unfortunately I don't have access to one and I don't even think there's anyone or a place in the area that has one. I wouldn't mind giving those a try but they're really expensive just like anything else in the medical field. It's bullshit. I feel like they take advantage of the situation since most of the stuff is stuff we need.

For cardio I use a SciFit Total Body bike. When you turn the upper part with your arms the lower pedals turn as well so I can strap my legs in and get the blood flowing that way but that's about it as far as stimulation or movement.
144rider
12/9/2017 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 3:55pm
jmc2 wrote:
Mav and Handicap-Do you guys use or have access to a FES (electric stim) bike? I see a couple of SCI for home therapy and I...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I know the type of bike you're talking about and unfortunately I don't have access to one and I don't even think there's anyone or a...
I know the type of bike you're talking about and unfortunately I don't have access to one and I don't even think there's anyone or a place in the area that has one. I wouldn't mind giving those a try but they're really expensive just like anything else in the medical field. It's bullshit. I feel like they take advantage of the situation since most of the stuff is stuff we need.

For cardio I use a SciFit Total Body bike. When you turn the upper part with your arms the lower pedals turn as well so I can strap my legs in and get the blood flowing that way but that's about it as far as stimulation or movement.
Are you on Valium Maverick?

My mate told me the valium would kill him eventually, which it did. I have another mate who is on a new trial drug witch contains THC, instead of the valium.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/9/2017 4:04pm
HandicapMX wrote:
Mav, that's the exact same feeling I get. I try to move them and I can almost feel like I can feel my muscles, but after...
Mav, that's the exact same feeling I get. I try to move them and I can almost feel like I can feel my muscles, but after awhile it goes away. Yeah I'm with you, stem cells are gonna be the way. They're close, but it's still a lot of time away.
Just keep trying to move your legs everyday and never lose hope. The feeling is very weird. I feel the signal going all the way down to my toes. It sometimes feels like my thigh muscles are trying to contract but they're not or at least not to the point that I can visually see them contract. If I do nothing well nothing happens but when I try to move I get a tingling feeling and when I try harder the tingling I feel gets stronger.

My injury level is at the T5-T6 level. No core muscles whatsoever but was assessed once and the doctor said he could feel contraction down to T-12. I can't do a sit up since everything is practically dead from chest/pec down. With the promising future of stem cells and the symptoms I experience I do think I'll get some function back. To what extent, who really knows but some is better than none. Some people say I'm in denial but whatever I know what I feel.

Red tape on stem cells is slowing things down but I understand the need for it. Don't want to start growing cancer cells or other type stuff that once it starts they can no longer control.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/9/2017 4:09pm
Maverick I think I've told you this, but for what it's worth, my arm was briefly paralyzed and I had the same sensations. I remember trying to hold a pencil and not having the muscle to do it, nor could I really feel what I was touching. But holy fuck was it a workout trying. Honest to god exhausting just trying to keep a pencil in my hand.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/9/2017 4:18pm
jmc2 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I know the type of bike you're talking about and unfortunately I don't have access to one and I don't even think there's anyone or a...

144rider wrote:
Are you on Valium Maverick? My mate told me the valium would kill him eventually, which it did. I have another mate who is on a...

My mate told me the valium would kill him eventually, which it did. I have another mate who is on a new trial drug witch contains THC, instead of the valium.
I am on some medications but not on Valium. Some I take to control the spasms in my legs, some to ease the pain I get from time to time but on a very low dose like the minimum which frankly I could more than likely stop taking. Have to talk to the doctor about that because honestly I think over the counter stuff like Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, etc. would take care of it. I take other medication for other things as well. I take more vitamins than medication.

You mentioned atrophy in your friends legs/feet and was wondering did it take long for that to set in after his injury or did it take a tremendous amount of years before it started? I'm asking because I'm 8 years post accident and both my thighs and calves are still around the same size they were before my accident. Dir the record I didn't have chicken legs either. Just wondering if I'm lucky because it certainly doesn't appear to be the norm for people that suffer a SCI. I don't think it's a bad sign just wondering why? It's not like I've been working out my legs, I can't stand up.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/9/2017 4:26pm
colintrax wrote:
Maverick I think I've told you this, but for what it's worth, my arm was briefly paralyzed and I had the same sensations. I remember trying...
Maverick I think I've told you this, but for what it's worth, my arm was briefly paralyzed and I had the same sensations. I remember trying to hold a pencil and not having the muscle to do it, nor could I really feel what I was touching. But holy fuck was it a workout trying. Honest to god exhausting just trying to keep a pencil in my hand.
I didn't know that. Is your arm back to 100%? What happened, was it moto related, car accident, other?

That's the sort feeling I get when I try to move my legs. I can't do it for a long time because it's like the leg muscles, sensation/current, whatever you want to call it get too tired to continue. It's like busting a massive workout until you can't go no more. I still try after that but don't receive the same feeling.

The worse is when I wake up in the middle of the night with nerve pain. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it and it drives you crazy.
144rider
12/9/2017 4:28pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

144rider wrote:
Are you on Valium Maverick? My mate told me the valium would kill him eventually, which it did. I have another mate who is on a...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I am on some medications but not on Valium. Some I take to control the spasms in my legs, some to ease the pain I get...
I am on some medications but not on Valium. Some I take to control the spasms in my legs, some to ease the pain I get from time to time but on a very low dose like the minimum which frankly I could more than likely stop taking. Have to talk to the doctor about that because honestly I think over the counter stuff like Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, etc. would take care of it. I take other medication for other things as well. I take more vitamins than medication.

You mentioned atrophy in your friends legs/feet and was wondering did it take long for that to set in after his injury or did it take a tremendous amount of years before it started? I'm asking because I'm 8 years post accident and both my thighs and calves are still around the same size they were before my accident. Dir the record I didn't have chicken legs either. Just wondering if I'm lucky because it certainly doesn't appear to be the norm for people that suffer a SCI. I don't think it's a bad sign just wondering why? It's not like I've been working out my legs, I can't stand up.
He was my best freinds dad, The accident happened when I was still a kid so I'm not sure how long that took. He was a 6/8 giant when he was on his legs.

Right up until he died, he always believed he'd walk again.

colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
12/9/2017 4:45pm
colintrax wrote:
Maverick I think I've told you this, but for what it's worth, my arm was briefly paralyzed and I had the same sensations. I remember trying...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I didn't know that. Is your arm back to 100%? What happened, was it moto related, car accident, other? That's the sort feeling I get when...
I didn't know that. Is your arm back to 100%? What happened, was it moto related, car accident, other?

That's the sort feeling I get when I try to move my legs. I can't do it for a long time because it's like the leg muscles, sensation/current, whatever you want to call it get too tired to continue. It's like busting a massive workout until you can't go no more. I still try after that but don't receive the same feeling.

The worse is when I wake up in the middle of the night with nerve pain. There's absolutely nothing you can do about it and it drives you crazy.
Nerves are back to 100%, the arm will probably never be. All in all I'm doing pretty damn good though. Something like 6 months of physical therapy going 2 times a week better make it better lol and yeah moto. Got sideways over a jump.

It's really an unsettling feeling. Pens, pencils, tennis balls, and so forth felt like I was lifting 500lbs. And you really do get exhausted even though you accomplished basically nothing.
Anyways I hope that gives you some hope, even if it is a little different. For what it's worth I know you ain't crazy. Both my physical therapist and personal trainer seemed to understand as well.
planter
12/9/2017 5:14pm
I really hope this fast tracks for those in need and for those that will be in the future. I was excited to see this the other day and hope that it opens new doors.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
12/9/2017 5:57pm
Stem cells are good for all sorts of different things. Just the other day I saw something about a heart pump made of stem cells.

Story
ledger
12/9/2017 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 7:37pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I saw that a couple years ago. It's pretty amazing considering the spinal cord was completely severed. It gives hope to a lot of people including...
I saw that a couple years ago. It's pretty amazing considering the spinal cord was completely severed. It gives hope to a lot of people including me.
Dang Mav, I didn't know that.... that sux and I'm sincerely sorry. I do believe that you WILL walk to your motorcycle and ride again. Wink Edit. This goes out to anyone dealing with paralysis.
144rider
12/9/2017 6:36pm

It's just a matter of time.
jemcee
12/9/2017 7:17pm
HandicapMX wrote:
Paralyzed guys on here (I know there's a few), what are your hopes for our future? Would any of you guys do the e-stim route, or...
I don't hold onto much hope for stem cells for my situation, as someone else said they seem to only mention 'fresh' injuries (I'll be 15 years next April) There's a University over here working with EES (Epidural Electrical Stimulation) that seems to be promising and they don't seem to focus on freshies or be promising miracle cures but more just getting functions back which I'll be absolutely stoked with!
I'm C7 so I'm a Quadriplegic but thankfully it's mainly just really limited hand control that's frustrating but I'm very aware could be worse

Oh and yeah exoskeleton shit is not at all practical haha

Post a reply to: USA Today: Paralyzed rats walk again after spinal cord surgery

The Latest