UFC vs SX promotion

burnside
This isn't intended to start some kind of pissing match, but seems UFC and SX are competing for the same demographic and seems UFC is growing a damn lot faster than SX, I think we could look to the UFC for some inspiration for promoting moto. They promote a single event with more excitement than I've seen for the whole SX season this year.

I appreciate we're talking different sports here and its much easier to sell the rivalry of a 1 on 1 fight than a 20 man race. But I think theres some lessons to learn. The UFC are so good at selling narratives that hook in the viewer and make you care who win, make you pick a side, get you invested...

For starters, the Embedded series - would love to see a non bias, independent behind the scenes series visiting different teams as they prepare for the season, or for an important race. Imagine how good it would be to see behind the scenes, real time footage of Roczen, Dungey and Tomac if it goes down to the wire....

I also find it kind of ironic, with the same demographic the UFC shares a couple of major sponsers as SX and there is much more money at stake, but you don't see the PC robot culture in UFC or the dull interviews. Quite the opposite.

Its apples to oranges, but I still think we could take ques from the explosive growth of UFC and the gripping media they produce before events. I haven't seen the actual fight yet, but the UFC 207 hype alone blows the 2017 Supercross hype out of the water.
|
burnside
12/31/2016 3:58am
Heck, as fans we don't even know if one of the biggest stars is even racing and apparently there are no journalists that will ask him or get to the bottom of it...
mx836
12/31/2016 6:09am
How can you compare the two at all? Why are so many people worried about growing the sport that it has absolutely no effect on? UFC fans aren't fighters. They are regular people with nothing better to do, like football fans only slightly different. People act like increasing viewership is going to grow the sport. It takes a special kind to race dirt bikes and I don't think a better TV package or advertising is going to change that.
MR. X
12/31/2016 6:21am
All ufc fighters are "racing" for the same team. It's real easy to manipulate someone's career and income when that happens . These mx guys should be free to shop around and get as many paying sponsors as they want to.
Motofinne
12/31/2016 6:27am
You can't compare UFC with MX or SX. Literally next to nothing in common.

And i have no idea why there is such a urgency for some to "grow" the sport. I'm going to be 100% honest here and say i don't give a shit about the professional side of the MX/SX as long as me and my friends can buy good bikes for reasonable prices and still ride on local tracks and race. That is the real part of the sport for me. The professional racing on a computer stream is a nice plus on the side of actually going to the track on the weekends with your friends.

The professional side of out sport is what it is. And considering how small MX is we should be relatively happy with it. Yes there is always room for improvement but it's not like we have 10 guys getting paid and 10 guys that pays for their rides.

The Shop

STLSharky
12/31/2016 7:54am
burnside wrote:
Heck, as fans we don't even know if one of the biggest stars is even racing and apparently there are no journalists that will ask him...
Heck, as fans we don't even know if one of the biggest stars is even racing and apparently there are no journalists that will ask him or get to the bottom of it...
Exactly this Motocross/Supercross journalism is lacking and always has been

KBOLTZ
12/31/2016 8:54am
UFC is pretty simple really... one dude ko's other dude. The end. MX is complicated and a viewer has to be trained on what's happening.

Not to mention the bloodline of "gladiator" entertainment that we are predispositioned to enjoy since the beginning of human history. "Two man enter, one man leave"

Also I agree with others in this thread that people are too worried about "growing" the sport. Let it be and have a good time. Money hungry people are no fun to be around and typically have an angenda in their heirarchy of friendship... people that love what they do no matter how much they make on the other hand are inspiring and attractive to outsiders imo.
snackfedbear
12/31/2016 10:39am
inside the outdoors made me want to watch the outdoors.... but the season was already over
12/31/2016 10:47am
I agree with the main point: it's what drag racing is dealing with right now too. The NHRA pros have the "real" cars but they can only dream of the ratings (2.5 million in finale) that Street Outlaws guys get in their "street" cars.

It's the human story that hooks people. You have to have white and black hats to cheer and jeer. Otherwise, they're just vehicles racing around.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/31/2016 10:57am
burnside wrote:
Heck, as fans we don't even know if one of the biggest stars is even racing and apparently there are no journalists that will ask him...
STLSharky wrote:
Exactly this Motocross/Supercross journalism is lacking and always has been

It's not our fault said rider is on radio silence and won't get back to anyone... Along with no one in his camp talking.
12/31/2016 11:06am
I prefer MX to be a small sport... I like knowing that I can roll to the track and it be my escape from the complete tomfuckery that exists in the rest of the world...
jeffro503
12/31/2016 11:10am
Juice_Mann wrote:
Please don't ever compare human cock fighting to MX.
I don't watch much UFC any more , but it cracks me up when someone tries to identify MMA as " cock fighting ". Look up the actual definition of what MMA stands for , before calling it that. Lots of respect to those top UFC guys. Combat sports has been going on since human beings walked this earth. MMA is a combination of all those disciplines ( with some rules ). "Cock fighting "......usually comes from someone who is uneducated about the sport.

And I don't see any comparison between SX / MX and MMA. Doesn't make sense to promote them the same way.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
12/31/2016 11:14am
UFC has a wide audience because any mouthbreather can punch someone in the face
Motodave15
12/31/2016 11:34am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 11:36am
Burnside, i don't think anybody who has responded thus far understands what you're saying.

1. Sx need character, which it is lacking badly. i just watched the 1993 supercross season in review 1993 Supercross season review .....Supercross had character and i can see why it would grow back then.-----you had cocky bradshaw, guy cooper the wild card, and didnt like bradshaw, and a bunch of other interesting shit going on in the season

2. Their aren't really any story lines to grasp heading into a sx season besides the usual so and so had a rough year last year and is coming back...ala (AC) story

3. The hype is their its just on a way smaller scale

4. If you want to be huge you need to ruffle some feathers and show an edge, even if it professional racing...ala the highlight alot of people remember from last year is weston peick and vince friese..why because it showed emotion.

supercross has a lack of shown emotion in it......I'm not saying wwe type of emotion, im thinking more along the lines of like james from a1 pissed after the reed crash...reed staring james down on the podium back in 09... show that you dislike the competitor before the race, talk shit, show everyone you're their to win... and dont act happy about a 2nd or 3rd place, and let it be know.....for instance mc got 3rd place in a race in 93 he let it be known he wasn't happy about it and hes coming back hard and wont be intimidated.

simple shit like that would make make sx more interesting

instead of happy robots, saying im so thankful to be here in 3rd on the podium etc.....fuck that noise
Juice_Mann
12/31/2016 11:36am
Juice_Mann wrote:
Please don't ever compare human cock fighting to MX.
jeffro503 wrote:
I don't watch much UFC any more , but it cracks me up when someone tries to identify MMA as " cock fighting ". Look up...
I don't watch much UFC any more , but it cracks me up when someone tries to identify MMA as " cock fighting ". Look up the actual definition of what MMA stands for , before calling it that. Lots of respect to those top UFC guys. Combat sports has been going on since human beings walked this earth. MMA is a combination of all those disciplines ( with some rules ). "Cock fighting "......usually comes from someone who is uneducated about the sport.

And I don't see any comparison between SX / MX and MMA. Doesn't make sense to promote them the same way.
You're right. I do not know much about MMA, but I see what these people say and how they act on TV. Role models they certainly are not. Most of these "professionals" were probably bullies in school which is why they enjoy beating people up in the first place. I hope I'm wrong on this assumption but the way these guys promote themselves would back my argument. Back on topic, I love MX and I dislike the idea of comparing it to a sport I hate.
Fourth_Floor
12/31/2016 12:53pm
The UFC is just a bunch of scripted drama. It's like two kids talking smack to each other during school and then everyone gathers at the grassy knoll afterwards to see who gets shut up. I don't think MX could learn anything from it unless they started scripting pretend rivals, fights in the pits, drama etc. I love how in the weigh ins, two world class fighting machines are ready to throw down and little ole' Dana White is able to keep them separated, one hand each hahaha......come on. The UFC took professional wrestling drama and combined it with a combat sport and people eat that up. Maybe the powers to be should have Roczen and Dungey get into a wrestling match back in the pits after timed practice and have Tomac run in with a steel chair and smack them both and flip them the bird or do that "suck it" gesture all before Canard runs up from behind and RKO's him.
Motodave15
12/31/2016 1:28pm
The UFC is just a bunch of scripted drama. It's like two kids talking smack to each other during school and then everyone gathers at the...
The UFC is just a bunch of scripted drama. It's like two kids talking smack to each other during school and then everyone gathers at the grassy knoll afterwards to see who gets shut up. I don't think MX could learn anything from it unless they started scripting pretend rivals, fights in the pits, drama etc. I love how in the weigh ins, two world class fighting machines are ready to throw down and little ole' Dana White is able to keep them separated, one hand each hahaha......come on. The UFC took professional wrestling drama and combined it with a combat sport and people eat that up. Maybe the powers to be should have Roczen and Dungey get into a wrestling match back in the pits after timed practice and have Tomac run in with a steel chair and smack them both and flip them the bird or do that "suck it" gesture all before Canard runs up from behind and RKO's him.
Lmfao +1 id like to see that
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
12/31/2016 1:30pm
The UFC is just a bunch of scripted drama. It's like two kids talking smack to each other during school and then everyone gathers at the...
You mean the Alessis?
12/31/2016 1:57pm
UFC is too offensive for the "hardcore" MX fans still living in the RJ era. Blood, women with little clothing, flat brim hats and tattoos.
Levoe210
12/31/2016 2:28pm
UFC and moto is definitely apples to oranges, but for those who say its just cock fighting or one guy KO'ing another simply don't understand the nuances of the sport. Its like an MMA fan saying moto is just a bunch of guys sitting on the bike twisting the throttle and the bike does all the work.

I used to watch a lot of MMA before it got big, and there are a lot of things that could probably be learned about how they grew that sport. The Ultimate Fighter TV show, all of the behind the scenes shows with them training leading up to fights etc... Nobody wanted to air that stuff on TV at first. UFC paid money to air those shows on Spike before that sport and promotion took off.

How many wives, girlfriends, and casual fans of the sport do you know who became bigger fans of the sport and its riders after watching Inside the Outdoors or Behind the Dream?

Unfortunately, outside of the 'hardcore' mx fans who 'jus wanna hear bout the motocross stuff,' people are into the personalities and the life stories of the guys.
12/31/2016 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 4:29pm
The UFC is able to create stories the way they do because a single individual determines who will or will not "fight"/who will be a star and who won't be. For all the complaining about Feld that goes on here, I imagine that things would be much worse under an authoritarian dictatorship, which is what exists under that real life Goomba in the UFC. So if that means there is less growth, then so be it. Also, while my opinion does not matter (now or ever) , I am personally happy with the overall SX fan base in so far as it seems that the majority of them do not come from the lowest common denominators of our gene pool, which is something that I don't think can be said about the majority of those in the UFC crowd.
Levoe210
12/31/2016 5:19pm
You must not be going to the same SX races that I do... People who I see riding at the track I would mostly agree with you, solid people. But at any given SX race I am never super impressed with the 'gene pool,' only there to get hammered, see some sick crashes, and try to start their own UFC fight in the stands.

I haven't been to a fight in years, but when it was more of a grass roots sport I would say most of the fans I saw were not as you described. Quite the opposite actually, but the crowd size was so much smaller, so again apples to oranges.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/31/2016 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2016 5:34pm
burnside wrote:
He's not...at least at A1. It's been mentioned before. Some people don't seem to want to believe it.
12/31/2016 5:53pm
Levoe210 wrote:
You must not be going to the same SX races that I do... People who I see riding at the track I would mostly agree with...
You must not be going to the same SX races that I do... People who I see riding at the track I would mostly agree with you, solid people. But at any given SX race I am never super impressed with the 'gene pool,' only there to get hammered, see some sick crashes, and try to start their own UFC fight in the stands.

I haven't been to a fight in years, but when it was more of a grass roots sport I would say most of the fans I saw were not as you described. Quite the opposite actually, but the crowd size was so much smaller, so again apples to oranges.
My statement was made towards the fan bases in general, not just those in attendance at the races. My apologies if I gave that impression.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
12/31/2016 6:35pm
Outside of 3 people, the top 5 mx/sx guys make much more than 99% of the UFC and the top 10 make more than the rest.

UFC is so huge because every meat head in the US thinks they can beat an average UFC guy so they like to watch because they can relate. They latch onto a fighter and root for him, then they root for the guys they train with.

I've been to plenty of MMA fights and plenty of motorcycle events, two distinctively different crowds. Honestly it would be cool to go to a BWW with a supercross race on the biggie and have the crowd revved up like they are in MMA, but they wont because its two different types of excitement. Face it, if you don't understand supercross, its boring. If you dont understand MMA, when they go to the ground its boring. I've done both and to me, both are exciting.

Money
12/31/2016 7:50pm
Motocross isn't close to UFC. UFC fighters are free to speak there minds compared to mx they get threaten to get fined or points taken away for speaking there mind. Just think about the outdoors this year..... mx has stars but there being restricted unlike UFC which creates excitement
montesagold
12/31/2016 8:25pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Burnside, i don't think anybody who has responded thus far understands what you're saying. 1. Sx need character, which it is lacking badly. i just watched...
Burnside, i don't think anybody who has responded thus far understands what you're saying.

1. Sx need character, which it is lacking badly. i just watched the 1993 supercross season in review 1993 Supercross season review .....Supercross had character and i can see why it would grow back then.-----you had cocky bradshaw, guy cooper the wild card, and didnt like bradshaw, and a bunch of other interesting shit going on in the season

2. Their aren't really any story lines to grasp heading into a sx season besides the usual so and so had a rough year last year and is coming back...ala (AC) story

3. The hype is their its just on a way smaller scale

4. If you want to be huge you need to ruffle some feathers and show an edge, even if it professional racing...ala the highlight alot of people remember from last year is weston peick and vince friese..why because it showed emotion.

supercross has a lack of shown emotion in it......I'm not saying wwe type of emotion, im thinking more along the lines of like james from a1 pissed after the reed crash...reed staring james down on the podium back in 09... show that you dislike the competitor before the race, talk shit, show everyone you're their to win... and dont act happy about a 2nd or 3rd place, and let it be know.....for instance mc got 3rd place in a race in 93 he let it be known he wasn't happy about it and hes coming back hard and wont be intimidated.

simple shit like that would make make sx more interesting

instead of happy robots, saying im so thankful to be here in 3rd on the podium etc.....fuck that noise
Well said, both of you guys. I'm not really thinking that deep the similarities with UFC but that fact that a little emotion displayed wouldn't hurt at all. They could still have strict rules about profanity and professionalism but focus on what motivates these guys instead of the generic bullshit. I grew up watching those battles in the 90's and if you combined that perspective with today's possibilities as far as coverage, it would be a hell of a show.
hillbilly
12/31/2016 8:33pm
Problem with growing our sport is moto's family tree doesn't have any branches.
Motodave15
12/31/2016 9:30pm
[img]http://www.christmas-clipart.com/free_christmas_clip_art_images/sad_little_charlie_brown_christmas_tree_with_a_single_ornament_0515-0812-0800-3048_SMU.jpg[/img]
lmfao

Post a reply to: UFC vs SX promotion

The Latest