Two two motorsports read

locky144
Probably already been a thread on this sorry if there has been but what an awesome insight into how Chad started two two motorsports. What everyone think of it? One part that stood out to me was the custom fork lugs that reed had PC build for him that was a $17,000!!! Project and he didn't even end up using them gives you a small idea of how much money goes into those bikes. If you haven't read it yet defiantly jump on Racer X and do
|
Cortami79
5/17/2018 3:32am
Good read, but how in the hell would you turn away from a good ride because you don't like TLD gear and want Fox instead?
kb228
5/17/2018 4:01am
Anyone have any idea on how fork lugs cost $17,000? We machine far more complex and larger parts on huge machines and not even those total $17,000
Jimfunn
5/17/2018 4:24am
kb228 wrote:
Anyone have any idea on how fork lugs cost $17,000? We machine far more complex and larger parts on huge machines and not even those total...
Anyone have any idea on how fork lugs cost $17,000? We machine far more complex and larger parts on huge machines and not even those total $17,000
That had me scratching my head. I've seen crazy numbers bounded around for machined Ti pegs as well. Don't get me wrong, they expensive to manufacture but if people are getting paid $15k+ a set then I'm in the wrong business...
billyp330
5/17/2018 4:50am
kb228 wrote:
Anyone have any idea on how fork lugs cost $17,000? We machine far more complex and larger parts on huge machines and not even those total...
No idea how they could come up with that number. Maybe Mitch doesn't like Reed? haha

The Shop

kb228
5/17/2018 5:04am
kb228 wrote:
Jimfunn wrote:
That had me scratching my head. I've seen crazy numbers bounded around for machined Ti pegs as well. Don't get me wrong, they expensive to manufacture...
That had me scratching my head. I've seen crazy numbers bounded around for machined Ti pegs as well. Don't get me wrong, they expensive to manufacture but if people are getting paid $15k+ a set then I'm in the wrong business...
My only thought is he ordered a batch of them for $17,000 instead of one set. Even if they were ti lugs, design, programming, and machine time cant be more than $5000.
bents
Fantasy
710th
5/17/2018 6:55am
It was a great read, and to think what might have been if not for the "Chadapault" crash. No question Reed would have won that outdoor title-he was a total badass that summer, just killing it. Maybe the team would have prospered and he might have turned into a team owner and retired sooner, or perhaps he would have just continue to kick ass for the next few years. Either way it sounded like to was quite a trip for the entire staff and something pretty cool to be a part of. If anyone was going to start a new team-your first call is to Dave O-that much is clear.
b_kowalsk
5/17/2018 7:18am
Cortami79 wrote:
Good read, but how in the hell would you turn away from a good ride because you don't like TLD gear and want Fox instead?
I agree, but I do have to say chad's Shift gear from that era is some of my favorite of all time. I like it better than the current Shift line-up and it did bring Shift back from the dead having him there. Idk definitely interesting to me.
5/17/2018 8:14pm
kb228 wrote:
Jimfunn wrote:
That had me scratching my head. I've seen crazy numbers bounded around for machined Ti pegs as well. Don't get me wrong, they expensive to manufacture...
kb228 wrote:
My only thought is he ordered a batch of them for $17,000 instead of one set. Even if they were ti lugs, design, programming, and machine...
My only thought is he ordered a batch of them for $17,000 instead of one set. Even if they were ti lugs, design, programming, and machine time cant be more than $5000.
They would have been magnesium and yeah he probably ordered a few sets for the rotation of suspension each race.
life_of_jaze
5/17/2018 8:27pm
Cortami79 wrote:
Because your name is Chad Reed and you do what you want
philG
5/18/2018 11:03am
kb228 wrote:
Designers time to model them up, FEA to see if they will work, programmers time, to write the program, if they are proper then they will be 5 axis machined , inspection and crack testing, Soon adds up. All of that , for 1 set of lugs.easily done. .. We 3D printed some and they were £30k.
MelonFan123
5/18/2018 11:20am
Cortami79 wrote:
Exactly. Been pretty well documented that CR is one of the most stubborn, hard headed MFers out there.
life_of_jaze
5/18/2018 12:06pm
Cortami79 wrote:
Exactly. Been pretty well documented that CR is one of the most stubborn, hard headed MFers out there.
More like he knows what he is capable of.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
5/18/2018 12:11pm
More like he knows what he is capable of.
i think this shows how smart he is about bike setup and knowing about what needs to be changed or how. many pros have trouble with just setting up clickers on suspension before getting to lug width.

Someone like suzuki would do well to hire him as a tester. their production bikes are so off coming from the factory, great potential but only after putting in time and money

Post a reply to: Two two motorsports read

The Latest