Two-stroke pipes for 2004 RM250

NorCal 50+
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2018 8:16am
I am trying to decide on a good pipe/silencer combo to ride trails and some Vet class moto/hare scramble.
Is an FMF pipe better for low end compared to PC?
OOPs- this is what I meant to post

FMF Fatty Pipe & Turbinecore 2 Spark Arrestor Silencer Combo

|
jeffro503
1/7/2018 11:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 11:21pm
Norcal....I can't speak on the top end pipes , but I can on the mid to low pipes. I used the FMF knarly and Fatty pipe , and then tried the Scalvini pipe. I liked the low end power on the Scalvini more than i did on both the FMF pipes. The over rev was about the same as the fatty , but it felt stronger on the bottom and mid. I may try a top end type pipe this summer though , as I just had my motor balanced , ported and the cases matched. Actually it was matched from the intake boot all the way to the exhaust.
NorCal 50+
1/7/2018 11:57pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Norcal....I can't speak on the top end pipes , but I can on the mid to low pipes. I used the FMF knarly and Fatty pipe...
Norcal....I can't speak on the top end pipes , but I can on the mid to low pipes. I used the FMF knarly and Fatty pipe , and then tried the Scalvini pipe. I liked the low end power on the Scalvini more than i did on both the FMF pipes. The over rev was about the same as the fatty , but it felt stronger on the bottom and mid. I may try a top end type pipe this summer though , as I just had my motor balanced , ported and the cases matched. Actually it was matched from the intake boot all the way to the exhaust.
Thanks. I have run PC pipes but I am thinking they are more peaky. I will check out Scalvini. I am not very familiar.

The Shop

H4L
1/8/2018 7:00am
I ran a PC pipe on an 06 RM250, but felt it moved the powerband up & took a little off the bottom. The mid-top was improved at the sacrifice of some lowend. This has been the case with RM, CR, KX & YZ's owned with PC pipes installed. The YZ is the only bike that didn't loose much down low & gained some needed top in comparison.
The Fatty pipe has been the pipe that has added slight gains across the board with the exception of the 3rd gen CR's.

Below is a Dirt Rider article on 03 RM250 aftermarket pipe tests. From what I recall the 03-04 RM250 engines didn't change much so it gives you an idea of how each performs.

****Suzuki RM250Baseline: The RM250 is another bike that kicked it up a notch in 2003. The power release isn't really lacking in one particular area; it offers a crisp throttle and an overall ridable power curve. We were basically seeking an exhaust setup that would amplify the stock delivery.Bill's exhaust and silencer Fit: A- / Overall Rating: B Comments: Since Bill's only runs one mount on its silencer, we would have liked the company to have provided a shorter bolt for the second mount/fender bracket. The power delivery of this pipe is quite robust in the mid but tends to fall off up top and lack a usable overrev. This is a system that works best for supercross-style or very tight courses. If you're a short-shift-style rider, the Bill's may work, but if you like to twist it to the moon, look elsewhere.DEP pipe and silencer Fit: B / Overall Rating: B+ Comments: The silencer mounts were a little off but they didn't pose any huge problems. The DEP robs Peter to pay Paul slightly by snatching some bottom and moving the entire power curve to the right of the scale. After taking some bottom, the mid hits with some power and just wants to keep going and going. The delivery is smooth and very easy to ride as it revs out. This is a great all-around exhaust that is well suited for fast GP-style tracks or even desert riding.FMF Factory Fatty with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: The Factory didn't prove to offer any measurable gains compared to the FMF standard Fatty. If anything, throttle response was slightly improved at best over the Fatty.FMF Fatty with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B Comments: The Fatty dispenses gains over stock but not as meaningfully when lined up against the PC or SST. It's a well-rounded system but doesn't stand out in any single area.FMF Gnarly with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B- Comments: As a whole, the Gnarly is a little off-center. The output is somewhat flat and smooth for motocross and tends to fall off on top. This is a system that will shine off-road, however. The power feed should billy goat the bike around on the nastiest trails.FMF SST with Shorty silencer Fit: A / Overall Rating: B+ Comments: The SST hit pay dirt with the RM250. This system enhances the bottom-end while building horsepower through a very usable and snappy mid. Up top the gains fall slightly but are still stronger than stock. The SST is a great moto exhaust and made the podium as one of the top three picks.Pro Circuit Works with Factory Sound silencer Fit: A /Overall Rating: A Comments: The PC is a full-on moto setup that likes to be ridden hard and revved. The hit down low is better than stock but only slightly. After that point it builds its ponies rapidly and wants to rev. The hit is very punchy but rider-friendly at the same time. The PC combo turned out to be the number one choice.
adamdf
1/8/2018 7:23am
Hey there.

For what it's worth, I had a 2004 RM250 and installed the PC works pipe with R304 silencer on it. The review from Dirt Rider above is spot on, t added a bit of bottom and more pulling power through to the top.

I'm not sure if you require a spark arrester or not? But i'm assuming those silencers will be fine as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
1/8/2018 8:16am
I had a PC pipe and silencer on my 06 RM. Ended up playing around with different combos and actually ended up really liking the OEM pipe with a FMF Powercore 2 (long). The PC pipe combo sounded awesome, but on hardpack tracks I kept lighting up the rear coming out of corners.

Post a reply to: Two-stroke pipes for 2004 RM250

The Latest