Two stroke come back? :D

6/5/2015 10:55am
Does Canada import the same two-strokes as the US? What countries can you still buy something other than a KTM or Yammie?
gt80rider
6/5/2015 11:17am
neverstop wrote:
I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The...
I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The gas oil mix adds up in cost fast, constant top end changes, carb bullshit, Reed bullshit , when I raced my 125 I'd burn a clutch plate every race day or two also. Since I've been on 250 four strokes my cost has gone down, I think the guys blowing up bikes don't change oil or use cheap oil etc. I understand parts are more but still.
When i was "fast", meaning mid pack b rider, i did a ring job half way through a season and did the piston and ring at the end of the year. I had to buy perhaps 3 rear tires a year and new sprockets and chain. In fact thats still what i do on a 125, on my 250 i do a new ring/piston once a year. And i basically ride both like the throttle is duct taped wfo. Having done that for 3 decades now, i have rarely had to replace anything different. If you are buying reeds and clutchs all the time you are doing it wrong.
bvm111
6/5/2015 11:30am
When I got back into riding last year and bought my KX250 I was one of the few 2 strokes at the track except for the minis. 2 weeks ago I would venture to say that HALF the bikes were 2 strokes.

as far as costs go, I have never owned a 4 stroke so I can compare, I ride at least every other week on a sand track with hard base and in 18 months I have done:

1 full top end - Second purchased and will install when im bored enough
1 Spark Plug
1 set brake pads
1 set of tires (Bridgestone 203/404 last forever)
1 chain and sprocket

I ride at a good intermediate Vet pace
I change my transmission oil every ride with Honda Gear oil
run Motul 800 at 40:1 with straight C12
ss415
6/5/2015 11:33am

Love my 2006 yz250 . call it a comeback

The Shop

bvm111
6/5/2015 11:47am
ss415 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/06/05/93692/s1200_10399137_1202180889722_2636553_n.jpg[/img] Love my 2006 yz250 . call it a comeback

Love my 2006 yz250 . call it a comeback
ss, what track are you riding at, I am moving back to Vegas from Reno in 3 weeks and trying to figure where is best to go.

Mesquite?
Sandy Valley?
down to Comp Edge?
6/5/2015 1:07pm
neverstop wrote:
I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The...
I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The gas oil mix adds up in cost fast, constant top end changes, carb bullshit, Reed bullshit , when I raced my 125 I'd burn a clutch plate every race day or two also. Since I've been on 250 four strokes my cost has gone down, I think the guys blowing up bikes don't change oil or use cheap oil etc. I understand parts are more but still.
gt80rider wrote:
When i was "fast", meaning mid pack b rider, i did a ring job half way through a season and did the piston and ring at...
When i was "fast", meaning mid pack b rider, i did a ring job half way through a season and did the piston and ring at the end of the year. I had to buy perhaps 3 rear tires a year and new sprockets and chain. In fact thats still what i do on a 125, on my 250 i do a new ring/piston once a year. And i basically ride both like the throttle is duct taped wfo. Having done that for 3 decades now, i have rarely had to replace anything different. If you are buying reeds and clutchs all the time you are doing it wrong.
Yea I went thru a ton of clutches but that was with the older 125s early 2000s. I rode the clutch like crazy because the bitch bogged all the time. The new ones seem to not have to clutch nearly as much, I was cornering third gear into fourth tapped without slightest bog which surprised me to say the least, maybe it's because the newer ones rev higher? I'm not sure.
6/5/2015 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2015 1:12pm
Does Canada import the same two-strokes as the US? What countries can you still buy something other than a KTM or Yammie?
Yes we get same as USA but we pay more for it because of our stupid taxes, I assume it goes to USA first then through our borders = tax rape. Right now the price is nice because our dollar is down but the ktm 450sxfs still cost 11-12gs without taxes so roughly 12-14gs even if our dollar is the same or close to americans. And the ktm 250sx roughly 10gs with tax.
Bulldog
6/5/2015 2:57pm
I have posted this several times but this is updated through the first 5 rounds of our series: VCHSS. So far through five events we are averaging 416 riders per event (no quads). The interesting thing in offroad, classes are "cc" based, age based and skill based. We do not give advantage to the 4-Stroke or 2-Stroke in the "cc" category. About 5 years ago we dropped the 4-Stroke A, 4-Stroke B class and left it in the C class only. You can see which manufacturers are dominating - those with 2-Strokes...even the playing field and provide rides the choice. Remember when Honda and Yamaha offered in their showroom: mx bikes, trials bikes, enduro bikes and street bikes. Riders had choices...

The comeback of 2-Strokes can happen in motocross if the promoters would even the playing field at the gate. It works in offroad. To see how the Coombs do it in the GNCC take a look at their classes. Every class in the Main is oof equal displacement except for the special 4-Strokes a & B classes. Why not in motocross?

ledger
6/5/2015 3:03pm
11TH COMMANDMENT---YE SHALL RIDETH A II STROKE 125 TO GAIN GREAT WISDOM AND HAPPINESS BEFORE THOU SHALL PARTAKE IN ANY IIII STROKE 250F.
mx836
6/5/2015 3:08pm
None! Unless you are talking about GasGas, Beta, etc.
6/5/2015 5:56pm
Atleast I sound fast riding the 144. That bitch will scream and a 450 will blow by me like a quiet kitty Kat.
6/5/2015 9:20pm
Bulldog wrote:
I have posted this several times but this is updated through the first 5 rounds of our series: VCHSS. So far through five events we are...
I have posted this several times but this is updated through the first 5 rounds of our series: VCHSS. So far through five events we are averaging 416 riders per event (no quads). The interesting thing in offroad, classes are "cc" based, age based and skill based. We do not give advantage to the 4-Stroke or 2-Stroke in the "cc" category. About 5 years ago we dropped the 4-Stroke A, 4-Stroke B class and left it in the C class only. You can see which manufacturers are dominating - those with 2-Strokes...even the playing field and provide rides the choice. Remember when Honda and Yamaha offered in their showroom: mx bikes, trials bikes, enduro bikes and street bikes. Riders had choices...

The comeback of 2-Strokes can happen in motocross if the promoters would even the playing field at the gate. It works in offroad. To see how the Coombs do it in the GNCC take a look at their classes. Every class in the Main is oof equal displacement except for the special 4-Strokes a & B classes. Why not in motocross?

In Canada 250 2t are allowed to race against 4t even in the "pro" levels. This is imo why they are coming back here. It's a little different to even playing field I think with motocross, as it stands it seems unfair for 250 4t owners and totally killed 125s since no use for them now since they are up against 250 2t in same class, but it's still 95% Rider.
Dissident
6/5/2015 9:23pm
more like people are financially tapped out and can still manage to scrape up enough pennies to keep a used 2-stroke runnin
dirtnapper
6/6/2015 12:12am
ledger wrote:
11TH COMMANDMENT---YE SHALL RIDETH A II STROKE 125 TO GAIN GREAT WISDOM AND HAPPINESS BEFORE THOU SHALL PARTAKE IN ANY IIII STROKE 250F.
Thus sayth ye Vital ll stroke faithful Tongue
mxb2
6/6/2015 12:27am
neverstop wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:
I spend $130-ish on a Wiseco piston, OEM base gasket, oem wrist pin bearing and a #9 NGK plug about every 14 hours of ride time...
I spend $130-ish on a Wiseco piston, OEM base gasket, oem wrist pin bearing and a #9 NGK plug about every 14 hours of ride time. Add that up to the cost of refreshing a 250F often enough to keep a B class rider happy and it's about equal.

Where the 250F gets expensive is when you pop an engine. Everyone has done it to a bike in their life.
Worst case scenario a YZ125 is less than $900 to rebuild top to bottom with good quality OEM parts. A YZ250F can be around $2200 - $2500 to rebuild.

If you do preventative maintenance, that isn't likely to happen to either bike. I wonder what kind of piston & valve service intervals I'd get out of a modern YZ250F...

250 two strokes are the real big lie... Pipe money gets expensive. Every time you lay the bike over the 250 two stroke pipes get wrapped around the ignition cover or smashed into the frame. That's $300 for a new pipe! Of course I have the tools to pop out the dents, but it's a hassle to deal with big 250cc two stroke pipes.

At least they aren't $700 - $1200 for a complete system though.
neverstop wrote:
Yea plus I guess I haven't taken into account service costs for valve adjustments etc, that's one thing that's awesome with two stroke is everything can...
Yea plus I guess I haven't taken into account service costs for valve adjustments etc, that's one thing that's awesome with two stroke is everything can be done with a simple toolbox, beer and some parts. I'm lucky I haven't blown up a four stroke yet only a 125 a few times and 250 2t once Smile all this talk of two strokes I think I shall install a slipper clutch soon to get back some of the two stroke engine brake feel.
Does mentioning beer make you the cool guy? lol.
ledger
6/6/2015 11:03am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2015 11:04am
dirtnapper wrote:
Amen, and thumbs up !!
JW381
6/6/2015 11:18am
I can think of quite a few buds that ride 2 strokes. Most also have a thumper also, though. Either way, quite a bit more smoke in the air when I hit the tracks these days.
PEPE001
6/6/2015 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2015 2:51pm
mxb2 wrote:
No means you can rebuild an engine even drunk.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
6/6/2015 3:18pm
ledger wrote:
dirtnapper wrote:
Lo, and the angel did kicketh his bike over, and it brapped, and smelled of castor, and it was GOOD.
mxb2
6/6/2015 5:02pm
mxb2 wrote:
PEPE001 wrote:
No means you can rebuild an engine even drunk.
hahaa ok
6/6/2015 5:08pm
Although this blanket statement will not be well received, if you're a full grown man, under age 50 and ride a 250F, you need to buy a cat.
slipdog
6/6/2015 5:19pm
Although this blanket statement will not be well received, if you're a full grown man, under age 50 and ride a 250F, you need to buy...
Although this blanket statement will not be well received, if you're a full grown man, under age 50 and ride a 250F, you need to buy a cat.
Hahaha, well played Mr. Elliot, well played!
scooter5002
6/6/2015 6:58pm
Even better, if you read that, and "hear it", like a Dodge commercial.
6/6/2015 9:34pm
You wasn't the only 2 stroke guy in the pac nw been riding 125 and now my 250 all along. Best bike purchase I made was when I bought my 06 yz125 and yz250. The 2010 crf250r I rode a few times sucked compared to my now yz144. Crf chassis has a 06 cr250 motor in it now lots more two strokes lately at the track. 4 strokes and their overall higher running costs have chased many out of the sport.

Case in point the last big race at Washougal over memorial day weekend this year. 250 c class what used to be 125 c class only had 22 riders! When it was 125 c it was always like two qualifiers of full 125 classes just to get to a 40 rider main. Haven't seen that turn out in a long time cept for the 125 dream race now.
ss415
6/6/2015 9:52pm
bvm111 wrote:
ss, what track are you riding at, I am moving back to Vegas from Reno in 3 weeks and trying to figure where is best to...
ss, what track are you riding at, I am moving back to Vegas from Reno in 3 weeks and trying to figure where is best to go.

Mesquite?
Sandy Valley?
down to Comp Edge?
that was at motoland in Casa grande AZ. Im actually going to be bringing my bike out from Az in the next couple weeks. I have not rode at any of the tracks out here but id be more then happy to check them out. Send me over a PM
bvm111
6/6/2015 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2015 11:42pm
bvm111 wrote:
ss, what track are you riding at, I am moving back to Vegas from Reno in 3 weeks and trying to figure where is best to...

Mesquite?
Sandy Valley?
down to Comp Edge?
ss415 wrote:
that was at motoland in Casa grande AZ. Im actually going to be bringing my bike out from Az in the next couple weeks. I have...
that was at motoland in Casa grande AZ. Im actually going to be bringing my bike out from Az in the next couple weeks. I have not rode at any of the tracks out here but id be more then happy to check them out. Send me over a PM
I grew up riding in AZ, canyon, Thrasher, speedworld, Motoland (is the SX track still there?) , ET!!!

I will be moving in to my place in LV on the 26th of this month off of Russell and 215. I have heard that there is not much riding around Vegas so I am a little bummed about that, but, what the hell Comp Edge is not too far down the 15 and Glen Helen isn't too much further so I want to head that way!

I will PM you when I get down there and moved in!
ledger
6/7/2015 12:21am
Falcon wrote:
Lo, and the angel did kicketh his bike over, and it brapped, and smelled of castor, and it was GOOD.
That's sum funny shiot right thar. Laughing and smelled of castor, and it was GOOD. Ahhhhmennn..........

Post a reply to: Two stroke come back? :D

The Latest