Two stroke come back? :D

Related:
Create New Tag

6/4/2015 6:33 PM

I noticed this year in the true north races that there are more two strokes than fours in most classes. First time I have seen this since what like 2004. Is the same thing happening in murica races? Do you guys allow 250 2 v 4 in non pro classes yet?

|

6/4/2015 6:43 PM

At some races they do........there are still a lot of four strokes (mostly) but there are more two strokes now than ever, well at least since 04 or 05?

|

Did i do that?

6/4/2015 6:58 PM

Two strokes never left in my opinion!! wink

|

6/4/2015 8:00 PM

The only bikes moto needs now....Photo

|

when in doubt, pin it out

6/4/2015 8:01 PM

Photo

|

when in doubt, pin it out

6/4/2015 8:04 PM

I think 8000 is even pretty reasonable and would sell. I'd buy one. As it is, soon as my 450 is paid I'll probably get a yzx. Looks like a pretty good bike

|

when in doubt, pin it out

6/4/2015 8:16 PM

I noticed last weekend there seemed to be a pretty even amount of 2 and 4-strokes at my local track.

the weekend before the 2stroke class had the 2nd most entries, the only one bigger was +30.

|

6/4/2015 9:32 PM

nytsmaC wrote:

I noticed last weekend there seemed to be a pretty even amount of 2 and 4-strokes at my local track.

the weekend before the 2stroke class had the 2nd most entries, the only one bigger was +30.

Thats very telling.
One says affordable racing, the other other class says affordable, and older guys with money spending it wisely.

Around here 2 stroke Betas, KTMs and now Huskys are pretty much taking over the off road segment. Those new Yz 250 offroad bikes might make a dent, but its hard to find someone say a bad thing about the 3 I posted.

|

6/4/2015 9:39 PM

Yes, I ride a CR250R.

|

6/4/2015 10:41 PM

I was the ONLY guy riding a two stroke on any given day at the tracks I rode in WA & CA in 2007.
Tons of guys are getting back on them these days and taking them racing. 2-smokes are running strong in the Northwest.

Every single moto is a two stroke comeback for me...
I start dead last in the 30+ class on a stock YZ125 and pick my way back through the field.

I still want a thumper though, perhaps this is the year.

|

6/4/2015 10:53 PM

cwtoyota wrote:

I was the ONLY guy riding a two stroke on any given day at the tracks I rode in WA & CA in 2007.
Tons of guys are getting back on them these days and taking them racing. 2-smokes are running strong in the Northwest.

Every single moto is a two stroke comeback for me...
I start dead last in the 30+ class on a stock YZ125 and pick my way back through the field.

I still want a thumper though, perhaps this is the year.

I have the opposite strategy, I grab a massive holy on my 250 in +30 and proceed to ride way over my head while the pissed off A-riders pick me off one at a time. It works good for me, I went 4-3 a couple weeks ago, Top finishing 2stroke!

Everyone I talk to seem to agree that they can go faster on the thumpers but have more fun on the smokers.

|

6/4/2015 11:03 PM

cwtoyota wrote:

I was the ONLY guy riding a two stroke on any given day at the tracks I rode in WA & CA in 2007.
Tons of guys are getting back on them these days and taking them racing. 2-smokes are running strong in the Northwest.

Every single moto is a two stroke comeback for me...
I start dead last in the 30+ class on a stock YZ125 and pick my way back through the field.

I still want a thumper though, perhaps this is the year.

nytsmaC wrote:

I have the opposite strategy, I grab a massive holy on my 250 in +30 and proceed to ride way over my head while the pissed off A-riders pick me off one at a time. It works good for me, I went 4-3 a couple weeks ago, Top finishing 2stroke!

Everyone I talk to seem to agree that they can go faster on the thumpers but have more fun on the smokers.

Haha! Good shit!

A buddy of mine says if you want to ride a 250 smoker the right way, go into the garage and grab a hammer. Smash a couple of your fingers with it and then put your helmet on. Now you're pissed off, ready to ride a two stroke 250.

I've never owned a 4 stroke of any kind. I got into 125s about 3 years ago at age 32. I've kind of turned into a 125 specialist... They are so much fun! Sometimes I break out the big-bore YZ300, but the 125 is my lady.

|

6/4/2015 11:45 PM

Ha, same here. Bought my first 125 at age 29 and realized what I'd been missing all those years. I like riding and racing my 144 more than the 250. It's in for some double top secret engine mods at the moment so I've been forced to race my 250 lately. I'm enjoying it too but looking forward to getting back on the 144 again, it's just too much fun and I ride better on it.

|

6/4/2015 11:54 PM

nytsmaC wrote:

I have the opposite strategy, I grab a massive holy on my 250 in +30 and proceed to ride way over my head while the pissed off A-riders pick me off one at a time. It works good for me, I went 4-3 a couple weeks ago, Top finishing 2stroke!

Everyone I talk to seem to agree that they can go faster on the thumpers but have more fun on the smokers.

Mike Harnden said something to the effect of, "You're better off to holeshot, and work your way back to your rightful place, while being a massive pain in the ass to everyone behind you. At least you get noticed in the race for a while."

|

6/5/2015 12:03 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

Ha, same here. Bought my first 125 at age 29 and realized what I'd been missing all those years. I like riding and racing my 144 more than the 250. It's in for some double top secret engine mods at the moment so I've been forced to race my 250 lately. I'm enjoying it too but looking forward to getting back on the 144 again, it's just too much fun and I ride better on it.

'Better bring that tricked out 144 down to Washougal for the dream race in September.



|

6/5/2015 12:05 AM

Photo

|

6/5/2015 12:05 AM

scooter5002 wrote:

Mike Harnden said something to the effect of, "You're better off to holeshot, and work your way back to your rightful place, while being a massive pain in the ass to everyone behind you. At least you get noticed in the race for a while."

Haha!

Last to first on a 125 get's noticed too, but it's a whole hell of a lot of work!

|

6/5/2015 12:06 AM

Photo

|

6/5/2015 12:07 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

I noticed last weekend there seemed to be a pretty even amount of 2 and 4-strokes at my local track.

the weekend before the 2stroke class had the 2nd most entries, the only one bigger was +30.

Tony Grove wrote:

Thats very telling.
One says affordable racing, the other other class says affordable, and older guys with money spending it wisely.

Around here 2 stroke Betas, KTMs and now Huskys are pretty much taking over the off road segment. Those new Yz 250 offroad bikes might make a dent, but its hard to find someone say a bad thing about the 3 I posted.

I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The gas oil mix adds up in cost fast, constant top end changes, carb bullshit, Reed bullshit , when I raced my 125 I'd burn a clutch plate every race day or two also. Since I've been on 250 four strokes my cost has gone down, I think the guys blowing up bikes don't change oil or use cheap oil etc. I understand parts are more but still.

|

6/5/2015 12:08 AM

53 years old, 210 lbs. with fat included. The 125 is hands down, the most fun bike that I own. The smokers are gaining ground in some areas of the country, so, something good must be going on. 2 cents.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

6/5/2015 12:09 AM

Lefty Right wrote: Photo

Nice!

|

6/5/2015 12:14 AM

ledger wrote:

53 years old, 210 lbs. with fat included. The 125 is hands down, the most fun bike that I own. The smokers are gaining ground in some areas of the country, so, something good must be going on. 2 cents.

Have you noticed the newer 125s actually have tons of balls now? I rode a new yz125 few weeks ago and I'm 6"3 around 190 pounds and the damn bike didn't bog on me at all like the early 2000s did. I agree on it being the most fun bike without a doubt.

|

6/5/2015 12:22 AM

neverstop wrote:

I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The gas oil mix adds up in cost fast, constant top end changes, carb bullshit, Reed bullshit , when I raced my 125 I'd burn a clutch plate every race day or two also. Since I've been on 250 four strokes my cost has gone down, I think the guys blowing up bikes don't change oil or use cheap oil etc. I understand parts are more but still.

I spend $130-ish on a Wiseco piston, OEM base gasket, oem wrist pin bearing and a #9 NGK plug about every 14 hours of ride time. Add that up to the cost of refreshing a 250F often enough to keep a B class rider happy and it's about equal.

Where the 250F gets expensive is when you pop an engine. Everyone has done it to a bike in their life.
Worst case scenario a YZ125 is less than $900 to rebuild top to bottom with good quality OEM parts. A YZ250F can be around $2200 - $2500 to rebuild.

If you do preventative maintenance, that isn't likely to happen to either bike. I wonder what kind of piston & valve service intervals I'd get out of a modern YZ250F...

250 two strokes are the real big lie... Pipe money gets expensive. Every time you lay the bike over the 250 two stroke pipes get wrapped around the ignition cover or smashed into the frame. That's $300 for a new pipe! Of course I have the tools to pop out the dents, but it's a hassle to deal with big 250cc two stroke pipes.

At least they aren't $700 - $1200 for a complete system though.

|

6/5/2015 12:41 AM

Tony Grove wrote:

Thats very telling.
One says affordable racing, the other other class says affordable, and older guys with money spending it wisely.

Around here 2 stroke Betas, KTMs and now Huskys are pretty much taking over the off road segment. Those new Yz 250 offroad bikes might make a dent, but its hard to find someone say a bad thing about the 3 I posted.

neverstop wrote:

I really don't get how people think two strokes are cheaper especially 125s because of how much more you rev the piss out of them. The gas oil mix adds up in cost fast, constant top end changes, carb bullshit, Reed bullshit , when I raced my 125 I'd burn a clutch plate every race day or two also. Since I've been on 250 four strokes my cost has gone down, I think the guys blowing up bikes don't change oil or use cheap oil etc. I understand parts are more but still.

cwtoyota wrote:

I spend $130-ish on a Wiseco piston, OEM base gasket, oem wrist pin bearing and a #9 NGK plug about every 14 hours of ride time. Add that up to the cost of refreshing a 250F often enough to keep a B class rider happy and it's about equal.

Where the 250F gets expensive is when you pop an engine. Everyone has done it to a bike in their life.
Worst case scenario a YZ125 is less than $900 to rebuild top to bottom with good quality OEM parts. A YZ250F can be around $2200 - $2500 to rebuild.

If you do preventative maintenance, that isn't likely to happen to either bike. I wonder what kind of piston & valve service intervals I'd get out of a modern YZ250F...

250 two strokes are the real big lie... Pipe money gets expensive. Every time you lay the bike over the 250 two stroke pipes get wrapped around the ignition cover or smashed into the frame. That's $300 for a new pipe! Of course I have the tools to pop out the dents, but it's a hassle to deal with big 250cc two stroke pipes.

At least they aren't $700 - $1200 for a complete system though.

Yea plus I guess I haven't taken into account service costs for valve adjustments etc, that's one thing that's awesome with two stroke is everything can be done with a simple toolbox, beer and some parts. I'm lucky I haven't blown up a four stroke yet only a 125 a few times and 250 2t once smile all this talk of two strokes I think I shall install a slipper clutch soon to get back some of the two stroke engine brake feel.

|

6/5/2015 1:39 AM

cw, you must be one unlucky fella, because I've been back on 250's or 500's since 91, and I've never had any serious pipe issues. Took the Pro Circuit off my 500 Kwacker to get the rock dings out of it, once, and that's all.

|

6/5/2015 2:46 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

Ha, same here. Bought my first 125 at age 29 and realized what I'd been missing all those years. I like riding and racing my 144 more than the 250. It's in for some double top secret engine mods at the moment so I've been forced to race my 250 lately. I'm enjoying it too but looking forward to getting back on the 144 again, it's just too much fun and I ride better on it.

cwtoyota wrote:

'Better bring that tricked out 144 down to Washougal for the dream race in September.



I'll think about it. I love that place but hurt myself pretty bad there last year at the OTMX race, I tore my AC joint, rotator cuff and broke a toe so it ended up being the trip from hell. Made me think twice about going that far from home to race again, it was a long brutal drive home to go to a Canadian hospital.

But on a lighter note, Washougal is probably a lot nicer in September than it was in July. It was a real scorcher and it seems like the track surface really benefits from milder weather.

|

6/5/2015 4:40 AM

I wonder if at the local level you're seeing more and more guys get beat by a 2 stroke or just have a tough time fending off a two stroke, then wonder if the performance advantage is really worth the extra initial investment. irwould be like the guy in a Ferrari trying to fend off a lowly Mustang on a back road. Sure it's the faster car, but is it so much so that the extra expense is justified. Not to mention that the Mustang driver has a huge grin simply because he can keep the exotic in site. Who knows, just thinking outside the box here.

|

6/5/2015 5:49 AM

I first got into racing MX in '07, I'd say everyone had been hopping on the 4 stroke bandwagon in the few years leading up to then. I basically stopped riding racing from '10-'13 and go back into it last yr. It's awesome seeing all the 2 strokes now compared to what I was seeing 5-8 yrs ago. YZ125/250's and 125/250SX's are everywhere now!

|

6/5/2015 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/5/2015 7:48 AM

Lefty Right wrote: Photo

Lefty, sweet bike!! And that looks like a cool riding area. Can't believe you got picnic table, shade and everything. Sure your not poaching some kid's park? Either way looks fun.

|

6/5/2015 8:30 AM

neverstop wrote:

Have you noticed the newer 125s actually have tons of balls now? I rode a new yz125 few weeks ago and I'm 6"3 around 190 pounds and the damn bike didn't bog on me at all like the early 2000s did. I agree on it being the most fun bike without a doubt.

Yes Sir, 100% agree and its my all around GO TO BIKE for exercise and stress relief, it also has decent over-rev !!

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.