Tusk Wheels - Issues?

11/23/2016 7:25am
Usually get what you pay for, that being said rear sprocket bolts can be an issue that need regular checks with even the best hubs. I've had certain bolt/sprocket combinations that just never seem to stay tight. Ended up cutting through a swing arm and a knackered output bearing once when the sprocket locked solid into the swing arm.
Always wondered why the hubs don't have some form of dowels or even spline set up to take the pressure off the bolts....
2/2/2018 1:26am
Recently rebuilt a bud's KTM450 rear as it killed the hub. Only a few months old. Sprocket bolts and elongated holes. I use Ironman sprockets and bolts which are the same as MSR I believe. Tried a few others which were ok but can't remember the brand now I just use the above. Running CRF's I never use the oem bolts, not even from new.Forever chasing them. Why anyone would reuse sprocket bolts when they are less than $10 I have no idea.
Skerby
2/2/2018 9:25am
BobPA wrote:
Bro you do not have to remind us that you launch 220 feet to square edge bumps and explode 400 wheels per year on Cali concrete...
Bro you do not have to remind us that you launch 220 feet to square edge bumps and explode 400 wheels per year on Cali concrete. We get it, you and your squad are absolute maniacs.
Thanks Bob, I got a serious chuckle out of that one. Laughing
Rockinar
2/2/2018 11:24am
Confucius say: "He who buy cheap, buy twice".

The Shop

Frank
2/2/2018 11:39am
1stSSPZ wrote:
Have had 4 different sets on 4 different bikes with no problems. Just wish they made a pair for my RM250 smoker!
This. Come on RMATV. There are thousands of RM's and YZ's being kept alive. Your missing the boat.
mxb2
2/2/2018 11:42am
Rockinar wrote:
Confucius say: "He who buy cheap, buy twice".
Boom, get what ya pay for.
ZXMustang
2/2/2018 11:46am
Chain too tight. Looks like when it compressed the rear suspension, the chain pulled the sprocket off the mounts. This has happened before and looks like you found the weak point of your chain being too tight.
peelout
2/2/2018 2:41pm
been warning people for years about the importance of checking your sprocket bolt torque regularly
2/2/2018 3:00pm
peelout wrote:
been warning people for years about the importance of checking your sprocket bolt torque regularly
It is no great accident that Prophet Peelout lives where he does. We are continually reminded of the importance of observing his Words of Wisdom.
Jmicmoto13
2/2/2018 3:06pm
It is no great accident that Prophet Peelout lives where he does. We are continually reminded of the importance of observing his Words of Wisdom.
Hear ye, hear ye!
rohleder644
2/2/2018 3:19pm
peelout wrote:
Holy fuck is this the origin of the famed sprocket bolt torque line?
YamahaJT1
2/2/2018 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2018 3:40pm
My Tusk wheels I put on last year, or as I like to refer to them, "Torsk" (has a Scandinavian implication of quality) were not easy to deal with initially. After much work, they are doing fine, but time is $. I do trust them.

You that found Tusk (Torsk) wheel sets perfect out of the box are so damned lucky. For the pending other bike rebuild, I went up another $500 or so to FasterUSA/Takasago/Bulldog set. Personal paranoid preference, my meat in the seat, my decision. I'll never fault another for their choices or reasons.

The taper/fit of yer bolts-to-sprocket bevels is of major importance, especially with aluminum sprockets, but critical in all applications. "Dry" fit to check the countersink match before you crank them down to see how they mate up. Maximum bevel contact between bolt and sprocket is key. Simple stuff.

Chain tension critical as well. A clean bike only means they were good at washing it in situations like this.

And yes, check your sprocket bolt torque regularly...

ra450
2/2/2018 4:17pm
I had a set of Tusk wheels on last KTM and never had issues. The spokes stayed tight compared to my DID wheels that I have on my bike now.

YamahaJT1
2/2/2018 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2018 5:39pm
ra450 wrote:
I had a set of Tusk wheels on last KTM and never had issues. The spokes stayed tight compared to my DID wheels that I have...
I had a set of Tusk wheels on last KTM and never had issues. The spokes stayed tight compared to my DID wheels that I have on my bike now.

Did you lace/true the D.I.D rims yourself or did you seek the services of a "professional" aftermarket outfit (Dubya/KSR, etc.)? What spokes/nipples, etc.? What hubs? What grade D.I.D rims? Did you/they use any lubrication/anti-seize? Helps with the conversation... Were they OG rims? What bike?

Help a Brother Out!

^^^

EDIT:

Tantamount to declaring "I used to wear Wrangler jeans, but since I switched to Levi Strauss units, I am suffering "Pinch Flats" in my scrotum"

Unsubstantiated crap is just that.
2/2/2018 6:01pm
ra450 wrote:
I had a set of Tusk wheels on last KTM and never had issues. The spokes stayed tight compared to my DID wheels that I have...

YamahaJT1 wrote:
Did you lace/true the D.I.D rims yourself or did you seek the services of a "professional" aftermarket outfit (Dubya/KSR, etc.)? What spokes/nipples, etc.? What hubs? What...
Did you lace/true the D.I.D rims yourself or did you seek the services of a "professional" aftermarket outfit (Dubya/KSR, etc.)? What spokes/nipples, etc.? What hubs? What grade D.I.D rims? Did you/they use any lubrication/anti-seize? Helps with the conversation... Were they OG rims? What bike?

Help a Brother Out!

^^^

EDIT:

Tantamount to declaring "I used to wear Wrangler jeans, but since I switched to Levi Strauss units, I am suffering "Pinch Flats" in my scrotum"

Unsubstantiated crap is just that.
Perhaps it's the naivety that comes with my age, but I didn't realize Wrangler jeans were still around. Nevertheless, I believe I may be able to still offer you some helpful advice in the spirit of helping a brother out - I believe that you can eliminate your scrotum pinching issues by wearing a pair of more supportive under garments such those afforded via the compression-esque boxer briefs or compression shorts. Please give this a try and then provide us with a substantiated review of your experience. Much TY.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
2/2/2018 6:14pm
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Hear ye, hear ye!
Dilly, Dilly!
YamahaJT1
2/2/2018 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2018 7:50pm
Perhaps it's the naivety that comes with my age, but I didn't realize Wrangler jeans were still around. Nevertheless, I believe I may be able to...
Perhaps it's the naivety that comes with my age, but I didn't realize Wrangler jeans were still around. Nevertheless, I believe I may be able to still offer you some helpful advice in the spirit of helping a brother out - I believe that you can eliminate your scrotum pinching issues by wearing a pair of more supportive under garments such those afforded via the compression-esque boxer briefs or compression shorts. Please give this a try and then provide us with a substantiated review of your experience. Much TY.
Yep, Wrangler Jeans are widely available...

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Mens-Classic-Regular-Fit-Jean/dp/B078TY…

I could be a smarmy dolt and offer a retort involving your "significant other" that would make you blanch. Much TY.

Nonetheless, thank you for your interest in my junk. Smile

Just F'ing with ya! Upshot of the matter is the dude that thinks D.I.D wheel units are lesser than Tusk and hoping for an explanation and his justification.

We good? Damn, I gotta clean up before she gets here...Over and OUT.
2/3/2018 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2018 6:37pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Yep, Wrangler Jeans are widely available... https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Mens-Classic-Regular-Fit-Jean/dp/B078TYHZXT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_193_bs_t_1/143-2567578-2423240?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=W9487Y177AGYD63FRXF3 I could be a smarmy dolt and offer a retort involving your "significant other" that would make you blanch...
Yep, Wrangler Jeans are widely available...

https://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-Mens-Classic-Regular-Fit-Jean/dp/B078TY…

I could be a smarmy dolt and offer a retort involving your "significant other" that would make you blanch. Much TY.

Nonetheless, thank you for your interest in my junk. Smile

Just F'ing with ya! Upshot of the matter is the dude that thinks D.I.D wheel units are lesser than Tusk and hoping for an explanation and his justification.

We good? Damn, I gotta clean up before she gets here...Over and OUT.
I admire your unconventional language and you are indeed welcome for my interest in your junk! #nutsackLIVESmatter

Also, I have nothing to contribute regarding the quality of Tusk's wheel-sets, but I will say that I've noticed I'm seeing them on a increasing number of bikes in my area, so maybe their quality is good-enough. I'm with you on there being a huge number of variables that impact a person's experience with a given wheel and it would be interesting to hear him respond with more detail. I suppose that if the guy feels they are better, then good on him. Perhaps they are relatively equal to a set of standard D.I.D Dirt Star, but I just can't abide by the notion that they are anywhere near a the strength of a Dirt Star ST-X. I'm a firm believe that House brands don't always mean less quality, but at a certain point, compromises have to made to maintain a lower price point. Maybe this reality has escaped him.

Post a reply to: Tusk Wheels - Issues?

The Latest