Tusk Wheels - Issues?

12/30/2015 8:24am
Canadad wrote:
While I have learned that sprocket bolts coming loose is likely the result of "walking" caused by poor quality bolts or incompatible bolt/sprocket taper, this poster...
While I have learned that sprocket bolts coming loose is likely the result of "walking" caused by poor quality bolts or incompatible bolt/sprocket taper, this poster has been accused of the following:

1) Holes in his story...some sort of 250/450 conspiracy theory
2) No idea how to maintain a motorcycle - apparently due to wear on a front sprocket that has just had catastrophic failure no less
3) No idea how to use a torque wrench - even though his mechanic has confirmed his story
4) The fact that he used a torque wrench - guessing would be a better option
5) No idea how to use Loctite
6) Saving money on a cheaper option that has been shown by others testing to not be sub standard
7) No idea how to spend his OWN money - Using Tusk Wheels with A kit suspension
8) Repeatedly accused of lying about the whole story or at least the inference of such

Have I missed anything?

Anyone else with a legitimate concern we could all learn from.....step right up!
Don't forget the one about not even supposed to use a torque wrench, you gotta smoke the shit out of it!!!
Jake_Pischke
Fantasy
4130th
12/30/2015 8:26am
Canadad wrote:
While I have learned that sprocket bolts coming loose is likely the result of "walking" caused by poor quality bolts or incompatible bolt/sprocket taper, this poster...
While I have learned that sprocket bolts coming loose is likely the result of "walking" caused by poor quality bolts or incompatible bolt/sprocket taper, this poster has been accused of the following:

2) No idea how to maintain a motorcycle - apparently due to wear on a front sprocket that has just had catastrophic failure no less
3) No idea how to use a torque wrench - even though his mechanic has confirmed his story
6) Saving money on a cheaper option that has been shown by others testing to not be sub standard
8) Repeatedly accused of lying about the whole story or at least the inference of such

Have I missed anything?

Anyone else with a legitimate concern we could all learn from.....step right up!
Every person is accusing him of having a beat bike, poor maintenance, not knowing what he's doing, accusing him of lieing of weather it's a 250 or 450 or both.
1st of all it's a 450 plain and simple. He has one bike and bought it brand new, hour meter installed when he got the bike. He has the maintenance done hourly, I was at the track both days while it came apart. 1st time may have been loose bolts and he got a decent amount of ride time out of it and checked up with the bolts, they did have loctite and torqued down. It was either a bolt or sprocket problem. 2nd time was all new boots suggested by RMATVMC, along with the sprocket and everything else. Bike only had been ridden 5 times or so with all the new stuff and it came apart again. Bike has about 70 hours if I remember right. Call it what you want, when you see the bike in person it is far from beat. Everyone on here thinks they are a master mechanics and everyone else is idiots. He has no reason to lie about anything.
scagle3
12/30/2015 8:29am
So I will definitely try some of the lapping ideas and use a sprocket that's "stronger" or doesn't have the holes in it. I'll also use the stock bolts of possible.

I will say though, the first time it happened it could have definitely been because the bolts walked or loosened. The second time absolutely not because of the bolts being loose. They were checked before the ride it happened on. Much appreciative to those who gave ideas or thoughts.

I sure wish I did have a 250 still to go with my 450.
MR. X
12/30/2015 8:31am
Every person is accusing him of having a beat bike, poor maintenance, not knowing what he's doing, accusing him of lieing of weather it's a 250...
Every person is accusing him of having a beat bike, poor maintenance, not knowing what he's doing, accusing him of lieing of weather it's a 250 or 450 or both.
1st of all it's a 450 plain and simple. He has one bike and bought it brand new, hour meter installed when he got the bike. He has the maintenance done hourly, I was at the track both days while it came apart. 1st time may have been loose bolts and he got a decent amount of ride time out of it and checked up with the bolts, they did have loctite and torqued down. It was either a bolt or sprocket problem. 2nd time was all new boots suggested by RMATVMC, along with the sprocket and everything else. Bike only had been ridden 5 times or so with all the new stuff and it came apart again. Bike has about 70 hours if I remember right. Call it what you want, when you see the bike in person it is far from beat. Everyone on here thinks they are a master mechanics and everyone else is idiots. He has no reason to lie about anything.
And where were you before his last ride before the explosion? Perhaps tinkering with his sprocket bolts ? I'm not serious ,I just figured #9 on the list could be sabotage. Laughing

The Shop

JM485
12/30/2015 8:31am
Canadad wrote:

Have I missed anything?

Haha, I was just about to post something similar, some of these guys are out of their fricken minds!Laughing
Canadad
12/30/2015 8:49am
Canadad wrote:

Have I missed anything?

Justin345 wrote:
Spot on, sir! :laugh: :laugh: Just like every other thread, you have to weed through some junk replies but there are also some real quality ideas...
Spot on, sir! LaughingLaughing

Just like every other thread, you have to weed through some junk replies but there are also some real quality ideas that people have put up. Hats off to those people!
I came across this yesterday on Twitter that likely applies here...

Steadman
12/30/2015 9:20am
Canadad wrote:

Have I missed anything?

x2 You nailed it.
moto455va
12/30/2015 9:32am
I just want to step in and say it might have something to do with the Vortex rear sprocket. A friend of mine had a failure that was identical to this one (snapped rear hub, a few missing bolts, etc) and was using a Vortex rear on a RMZ450, but with stock wheels. I dont know if its anecdotal but just throwing it out there.
mxb2
12/30/2015 9:34am
Didnt factory suzuki use vortex sprockets one year?
moto455va
12/30/2015 9:37am
mxb2 wrote:
I think Yosh Suzuki uses them, but they arent putting any serious time on them before they get swapped.
Beast666
12/30/2015 10:02am
mxb2 wrote:
Still using them... More than likely tossed into the recycle bin after a moto.

mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
12/30/2015 10:45am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 10:46am
I'm going to blame the rear sprocket design on this one.
A couple of years ago, I owned a YZ450 with STOCK hubs. I ran a sprocket similar in design to that where it only made contact with the hub at the bolt points. NOT ALL THE WAY AROUND the circumference of the hub. I constantly had sprocket bolts coming loose no matter how tight I tightened them. It finally took out my rear hub one day in a long moto just like yours did. I bought a new hub, and switched to a normal design rear sprocket and have never had a problem since. Just thought i'd share that.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
12/30/2015 11:09am
One thing this thread did was help GuyB with members, see a lot of low post count people commenting because of this!
Brent
12/30/2015 11:21am
Loose sprocket nuts.
4 pages.
Awesome!!
12/30/2015 11:30am
"Making a hub destroyer" new Netflix original series. Lots of conspiracies in this one. Was the rider at fault or wasn't he ?
peelout
12/30/2015 11:44am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 11:44am
i counted 7 people in this thread that need to switch from 5 days per week to 3 days per week of CrossFit.

dude getting all bent out of shape because he doesn't know how to bolt a sprocket to a hub should lay off kettle-balls for at least a couple weeks
b8res
12/30/2015 11:47am

Just thought I'd point his out.......Fully aware this is NOT a TUSK hub, but interesting concept design with regards to hub and sprocket contact area.

This photo is from the CR 250 Full Tilt Build, Interesting that this sprocket is designed much like the sprocket in question on the RMZ. Fully aware that were talking about completely different bikes with regards to weight, torque and horsepower.

It also appears that the hub is also machined so that there is no contact area between the sprocket bolts, or very limited contact in a full circumference on the sprocket.

40Plus_922mx
12/30/2015 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 1:53pm
That mess on the hub in the 2nd pic was created by loose sprocket bolts/nuts. Not hub failure. I always use Loctite on my sprocket bolts. And then check spokes and sprocket bolts before and after every ride until I feel they are good to go. Never had an issue.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/30/2015 2:01pm
Hey, has anyone considered that the failure could have been caused by loose sprocket bolts?
12/30/2015 2:14pm
b8res wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/30/117398/s1200_s1200_20151225_222022.jpg[/img] Just thought I'd point his out.......Fully aware this is NOT a TUSK hub, but interesting concept design with regards to hub and sprocket contact area...

Just thought I'd point his out.......Fully aware this is NOT a TUSK hub, but interesting concept design with regards to hub and sprocket contact area.

This photo is from the CR 250 Full Tilt Build, Interesting that this sprocket is designed much like the sprocket in question on the RMZ. Fully aware that were talking about completely different bikes with regards to weight, torque and horsepower.

It also appears that the hub is also machined so that there is no contact area between the sprocket bolts, or very limited contact in a full circumference on the sprocket.

Your sprocket still has a lot more contact surface with the hub then the vortex sprocket does. So the stress will be divided better. I think it will be fine.
mxb2
12/30/2015 2:18pm
mxb2 wrote:
Beast666 wrote:
Still using them... More than likely tossed into the recycle bin after a moto. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/30/117384/s1200_s1600_101115pb029.jpg[/img]
Still using them... More than likely tossed into the recycle bin after a moto.

Thanks.
40Plus_922mx
12/30/2015 2:23pm
GrapeApe wrote:
Hey, has anyone considered that the failure could have been caused by loose sprocket bolts?
That's nuts.
b8res
12/30/2015 4:13pm
b8res wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/30/117398/s1200_s1200_20151225_222022.jpg[/img] Just thought I'd point his out.......Fully aware this is NOT a TUSK hub, but interesting concept design with regards to hub and sprocket contact area...

Your sprocket still has a lot more contact surface with the hub then the vortex sprocket does. So the stress will be divided better. I think...
Your sprocket still has a lot more contact surface with the hub then the vortex sprocket does. So the stress will be divided better. I think it will be fine.
Not mine....can't take credit for this...poached from a different thread.......
Olson
12/30/2015 4:27pm
Bunch of Sherlock Holmes in here.
Steadman
12/30/2015 4:32pm
Ok boys. Let's put this one to bed.

Blown hub due to loose bolts caused by a horrible sprocket design from Vortex.

Lessons learned? Don't buy sprockets with this design failure (and check your bolts regularly)

The end Wink
jeffro503
12/30/2015 6:26pm
To the owner of the bike: There are some great sprockets out there , and for me personally over the past 3yrs , I've used nothing but the Renthal twin ring. Match that up with the best HD chain you can get ( even o-ring if you like ). I've used both Renthal , and as of late had really good luck with the pro-taper HD chains. On my 450 , in about 4 months of riding every weekend , I think I tightened the chain twice. Really good quality stuff!
mx836
12/30/2015 6:51pm
Mx286 wrote:
What type of rider is your buddy? Those are cheap wheels. Yea your gonna have people say their the best for the money, I've had no...
What type of rider is your buddy? Those are cheap wheels. Yea your gonna have people say their the best for the money, I've had no problems, etc. but you get what you pay for with wheel sets. Anyone that's an advanced rider should steer clear of wheels like these.
Exactly! Maybe not the case in this instance, but guys on here love to say how so and so product was great and lasted 4 years when somebody else says it lasted 20 hours. Well, not everybody has the same skill level or rides the bike the same. Some are 20 years old, and some are 50. Some guys are just harder on stuff. Like some others have said in this thread, the bike does look a little roached, but I'm digging the faulty sprocket design theory.
VRR7
12/30/2015 9:52pm
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Keeping-sprocket-bolts-tight…

newmann wrote:

Careful with the choice of loctite. They do have one that handles vibration but removes with little heat. I think the red releases at around 360 degrees, might want to google it. I always put some red loctite around the tapered head of the bolt where it seats into the sprocket instead of the threads. Torque them properly and never had one come loose.
VRR7
12/30/2015 10:05pm

Same Sprocket design

Post a reply to: Tusk Wheels - Issues?

The Latest