Tuff Tri-Block

aeffertz
Edited Date/Time 3/24/2020 5:53pm
Was bored and decided to whip up a visual of Steve’s idea of a new tuff block. I dunno about the tray but the triangle shape seems like a no brainer!

|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
3/21/2020 6:10pm
Very cool, nice work.

I agree with you on the triangle. The tray part sounds like a lot of work to do in real.
newmann
3/21/2020 7:11pm
Vital told me that was a stupid idea. True story. At least he was paying attention.
Kidd
3/21/2020 7:59pm
aeffertz wrote:
Was bored and decided to whip up a visual of Steve’s idea of a new tuff block. I dunno about the tray but the triangle shape...
Was bored and decided to whip up a visual of Steve’s idea of a new tuff block. I dunno about the tray but the triangle shape seems like a no brainer!

We used the Triangle tuff blocks during the BooKoo AX Series. The theory was to help eliminate foot pegs grabbing the tuff blocks. This was a concept Shane Schaefer and I worked on. The riders liked them much more than the square edge.

The Shop

devotid
Fantasy
315th
3/21/2020 8:33pm
What about hay bales? Those are soft, cheap and square. Maybe even a thin plastic bag around them with sponsors on them?

Come to think of it those might end some championships...

Goulding
3/21/2020 8:40pm
The idea to me is great. Less snagged foot pegs but my main concern is that the top would Caus a lot more injuries then the flat top on the square blocks used now. Maybe a rounded top instead of a sharp peak would prevent more injuries.
newmann
3/23/2020 5:54am
Goulding wrote:
The idea to me is great. Less snagged foot pegs but my main concern is that the top would Caus a lot more injuries then the...
The idea to me is great. Less snagged foot pegs but my main concern is that the top would Caus a lot more injuries then the flat top on the square blocks used now. Maybe a rounded top instead of a sharp peak would prevent more injuries.
It's a piece of foam, how would it being pointed at the top cause more injuries? It's softer at the top due to less foam. It will get progressively firmer the further into it you compress.
newmann
3/23/2020 7:42am
aeffertz wrote:
Was bored and decided to whip up a visual of Steve’s idea of a new tuff block. I dunno about the tray but the triangle shape...

Kidd wrote:
We used the Triangle tuff blocks during the BooKoo AX Series. The theory was to help eliminate foot pegs grabbing the tuff blocks. This was a...
We used the Triangle tuff blocks during the BooKoo AX Series. The theory was to help eliminate foot pegs grabbing the tuff blocks. This was a concept Shane Schaefer and I worked on. The riders liked them much more than the square edge.
Already been proven to be a viable option right here, years ago, yet some still want to argue that it will never work. Could probably eliminate at least half the space required in an 18 wheeler to haul them around the country as well. Better view of the advertising from the stands too. Advertisers should demand these...
Crush
3/23/2020 7:47am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 7:50am
Only thing with a triangle is there is less surface area for the riders to land on. In fact they'd probably just slide down it as the block would likely deflect given the steep angle.

I can think of a few big crashes that totally saved riders going to the hospital by tuff-blocks... Martin, Davalos, Reed, LaRocco...

Maybe a prism so it's still got a top flat are, and still the chamferedsides to stop the pegs catching so much...

I also don't think they need a tray... Just a big connecting velcro flap that goes from one to the other underneath... in fact, you could probably build in space so the riders can get back on track too.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
3/23/2020 8:17am
Goulding wrote:
The idea to me is great. Less snagged foot pegs but my main concern is that the top would Caus a lot more injuries then the...
newmann wrote:
It's a piece of foam, how would it being pointed at the top cause more injuries? It's softer at the top due to less foam. It...
It's a piece of foam, how would it being pointed at the top cause more injuries? It's softer at the top due to less foam. It will get progressively firmer the further into it you compress.
rider falls perpendicular onto a square tough block, more of their body surface is on the tough block. rider falls perpendicular on triangle block and there body taco's > head gets whiplashed into ground.
Kenny Lingus
3/23/2020 10:03am
If they are safety device we'd remember when they don't work not when they do.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
3/23/2020 10:49am
Crush wrote:
Only thing with a triangle is there is less surface area for the riders to land on. In fact they'd probably just slide down it as...
Only thing with a triangle is there is less surface area for the riders to land on. In fact they'd probably just slide down it as the block would likely deflect given the steep angle.

I can think of a few big crashes that totally saved riders going to the hospital by tuff-blocks... Martin, Davalos, Reed, LaRocco...

Maybe a prism so it's still got a top flat are, and still the chamferedsides to stop the pegs catching so much...

I also don't think they need a tray... Just a big connecting velcro flap that goes from one to the other underneath... in fact, you could probably build in space so the riders can get back on track too.
You beat me to it lol landing on top of a triangle just doesn’t seem super beneficial. But a rectangular block with a beveled edge on the track side seems like a good idea
Jeff alessi
3/23/2020 10:59am
You should give the leading edge a chamfer as well. This seems like a solution that should have already been put to use, the regular tuff blocks have been using are major foot peg catchers
aeffertz
3/23/2020 11:12am
KBOLTZ wrote:
Made this a while back when this topic was brought up. via GIPHY
Made this a while back when this topic was brought up.

via GIPHY

That’s badass! What program do you use?
3/23/2020 11:13am

Where'd my Cooper Webb post go? There was nothing offensive about it... ????

How hard would it be to create some of these triangular tuff blocks and test them out on sections of the track before committing to a total change over. They can't cost that much to manufacture.
mj731
3/23/2020 4:21pm
Crush wrote:
Only thing with a triangle is there is less surface area for the riders to land on. In fact they'd probably just slide down it as...

I agree with the velcro idea. They could even put some small stakes on the bottom of a long strip to help hold it in place . I think the tray idea is over engineering it a little.
SEEMEFIRST
3/23/2020 5:28pm
While I like the ideas, I don't think it's the block that is the problem. It's the cover.

Make it out of paper. You could have a vinyl one with the track side paper.

A replacement with a little double sided tape, and viola!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/23/2020 5:30pm
KBOLTZ wrote:

via GIPHY

Whoa. First there was Green Arrow. Now there's Ghost Footpeg.
kkawboy14
3/23/2020 5:34pm
It just means they will push the edge of the track more than they do now and the triangle design will still get people
Crush
3/23/2020 5:53pm
So...

Industrial velcro on the black flaps.

Chamfer all sides slightly so they can accomodate jumps/angles and riders can fit through gaps when re-entering the track without snagging a peg.

Fucking Vital design team, way to go fellas! haha

Crush
3/23/2020 5:54pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
While I like the ideas, I don't think it's the block that is the problem. It's the cover. Make it out of paper. You could have...
While I like the ideas, I don't think it's the block that is the problem. It's the cover.

Make it out of paper. You could have a vinyl one with the track side paper.

A replacement with a little double sided tape, and viola!
Needs to be weather proof though...

The covers could be velcro'd underneath too... they're just a sheath right now as I understand it.
Crush
3/23/2020 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 6:35pm
Goulding wrote:
newmann wrote:
It's a piece of foam, how would it being pointed at the top cause more injuries? It's softer at the top due to less foam. It...
soggy wrote:
rider falls perpendicular onto a square tough block, more of their body surface is on the tough block. rider falls perpendicular on triangle block and there...
rider falls perpendicular onto a square tough block, more of their body surface is on the tough block. rider falls perpendicular on triangle block and there body taco's > head gets whiplashed into ground.
I really don't think that is an issue – it still happens now, you're introducing a fulcrum regardless because the length of the rider is wider than the width of the block. Unless they land long-ways along the block.

It might be marginally more so but the real problem is you'd be reducing the surface area and material volume to absorb the depth of the impact – and increasing the likelihood for the block to just deflect to the side/rider slide down it.

Prism would be best.
3/23/2020 6:18pm
Crush wrote:
So... Industrial velcro on the black flaps. Chamfer all sides slightly so they can accomodate jumps/angles and riders can fit through gaps when re-entering the track...
So...

Industrial velcro on the black flaps.

Chamfer all sides slightly so they can accomodate jumps/angles and riders can fit through gaps when re-entering the track without snagging a peg.

Fucking Vital design team, way to go fellas! haha

The "tri-block" only allows for 2 visible advertising sides per block, compared to 3 with the square. Crush's design allows for 3, provides the footpeg clearance (maybe not as much as the tri) and a more forgiving fulcrum (like the square) than a point.

I like it.
Crush
3/23/2020 6:41pm
Not my design – I just think the velcro could easily fix a lot of the issues.

...and hope that the slight chance someone that can help make a difference occasionally reads things like this. We're not all lunatics in here haha.

The nets to me made such a difference, bringing berms back. I wish they made more but change is slow for sure.

KBOLTZ
3/24/2020 12:09am
KBOLTZ wrote:

via GIPHY

aeffertz wrote:
That’s badass! What program do you use?
Cinema 4D and using a render engine called Octane. Endless possibilities.
KBOLTZ
3/24/2020 12:11am
KBOLTZ wrote:

via GIPHY

GuyB wrote:
Whoa. First there was Green Arrow. Now there's Ghost Footpeg.
Haha didn’t want to animate wheels and suspension on a bike Whistling
Motofinne
3/24/2020 12:31am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2020 12:46am
This is a great idea, and pretty much a no-brainer if you want to work towards a sport with less injuries. But...this will cost money so i would say there is almost no chance that Feld replaces the current blocks to these safer ones.
Crush
3/24/2020 1:57am
Motofinne wrote:
This is a great idea, and pretty much a no-brainer if you want to work towards a sport with less injuries. But...this will cost money so...
This is a great idea, and pretty much a no-brainer if you want to work towards a sport with less injuries. But...this will cost money so i would say there is almost no chance that Feld replaces the current blocks to these safer ones.
I can't believe every turn doesn't have a net yet...

Berms are good for racing!

Post a reply to: Tuff Tri-Block

The Latest