Trying to start a track

mwssquad827
Edited Date/Time 7/8/2020 4:02am
I know this has been talked about a ton but the damn search on this site sucks..
So we are trying to do it as a local club track..
We aren’t trying to get rich or famous or hold national.. just a fun practice track maybe a local series race.. all help or ideas will be helpful
Main question
who for insurance? Is a million policy enough??

|
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
7/7/2020 11:16am
I would think you would want higher limits on insurance. Not sure how you would get a policy, you might need to be sanctioned? Wish I could offer more, good luck, need people willing to do this!
MotofactioN
7/7/2020 11:26am
Strange, I was just thinking the same way. More in the “buy some land, some equipment, build a track for fun; and maybe it turns into a cool local track one day” kind of thing.

I run heavy equipment as a job so building the track wouldn’t be the problem.
stone881
7/7/2020 11:39am
I know this has been talked about a ton but the damn search on this site sucks.. So we are trying to do it as a...
I know this has been talked about a ton but the damn search on this site sucks..
We aren’t trying to get rich or famous or hold national.. just a fun practice track maybe a local series race.. all help or ideas will be helpful
Main question

Who owns the land?

Form a non-profit and lease the land to that non-profit to mitigate liability.

That imo is the most important step you can take. It also won't hurt to elect a beneficiary of the non-profit that will be politically favorable. Meaning, make it someone/thing that your local community wouldn't want to lose the benefit for, in case someone wants to shut you down.

The Shop

mister2dt
7/7/2020 11:40am
I know this has been talked about a ton but the damn search on this site sucks.. So we are trying to do it as a...
Main question

Lloyds of London event day coverage. $10mil liability, $5mil medical. Property is covered on scheduled event days only. Normal property insurance covers trespassing on non event days. Depends on where you have the property for what the cost is. Mine, 8 years ago averaged about $5300 a year.
7/7/2020 11:43am
Main question

Are you associated with MVMX at all?

I rode out at that Hollister track a while ago and thought it had a lot of potential of being a very good thing.

I don’t have much sound advice, but best of luck!
7/7/2020 12:10pm
OPMC is another PNW track that operates this way. Maybe get in contact with them and see how they do it. I would think that it would be a lot easier if you could follow someone's playbook. Probably much cheaper as well
mwssquad827
7/7/2020 12:10pm
Main question

Are you associated with MVMX at all? I rode out at that Hollister track a while ago and thought it had a lot of potential of...
Are you associated with MVMX at all?

I rode out at that Hollister track a while ago and thought it had a lot of potential of being a very good thing.

I don’t have much sound advice, but best of luck!
Yes I’m doing this for MVMX... and we are trying to get the city to lease is some land.. it’s common with the surrounding cities to do this... also I’m trying to get everything in a row to bring to the City... a track in idaho falls is ran by the city like a city park.. so that’s what I’m going to push hard for.. dunno if it will pan out but????
plowboy
7/7/2020 1:20pm
I certainly don't know the ins and outs of this but I do know one thing because I've seen it. If it's ran as a club or if it's leased from the city...you WILL have to let 4 wheelers run on the track (unless you build a separate track for them). This increases the cost/time of track repair/prep by a big factor. Just a thought.
zippytech
7/7/2020 8:47pm
mister2dt wrote:
Lloyds of London event day coverage. $10mil liability, $5mil medical. Property is covered on scheduled event days only. Normal property insurance covers trespassing on non event...
Lloyds of London event day coverage. $10mil liability, $5mil medical. Property is covered on scheduled event days only. Normal property insurance covers trespassing on non event days. Depends on where you have the property for what the cost is. Mine, 8 years ago averaged about $5300 a year.
Wow really ? , did they cover you on a US track?
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
7/7/2020 10:47pm
K&K Insurance is the main insurer for motocross, but they are picky with who they insure, or K2 Insurance brokers in California, it really depends on where you are located for what and who will insure you.

We had $1 million per occurrence, $2 million aggregate running one of the most attended venues in the US, any more than that is an attractive lure for ambulance chasers to go for the big pay day. We also had flagers, medics, waivers, and safety protocols in place at all times bikes were in motion.

As morbid as it is, each injury/death will have a price point for settling and the insurance company takes that into account when they write a policy. As long as it’s not negligence on the track operator it is a difficult case to make, dirt bikes are a known dangerous activity for 50 + years, riders can’t claim ignorance of the safety risks. Although they try.
Spudnut
7/7/2020 11:36pm
A solution to vitals crappy search function

Go to google and type your search then enter “ site:m.vitalmx.com” at the end

Example:
mister2dt
7/8/2020 4:02am
mister2dt wrote:
Lloyds of London event day coverage. $10mil liability, $5mil medical. Property is covered on scheduled event days only. Normal property insurance covers trespassing on non event...
zippytech wrote:
Wow really ? , did they cover you on a US track?
Yes, they are world wide. Ive used them for both mx and bmx tracks. It helps when approaching any form of govt to try and secure any type of land use agreement. City, county, state, whatever, they will want to make sure they are not liable and you have plenty of coverage to sheild them.

Post a reply to: Trying to start a track

The Latest