Raffling off a rare piece of moto memorabilia to help raise money for James Marshall

Edited Date/Time 4/22/2016 1:45am
So I know most of you guys are middle aged or quarter aged like me and love old moto stuff. I came up with this idea when I found my childhood Mcgrath replica helmet in my parent's attic and saw that James Marshall was trying to raise money for equipment that he needs now that he is paralyzed. His story hits close to home because I broke my back when I was younger and almost ended up paralyzed. I also work in healthcare too and see how much of a struggle it is

I contacted Caleb Mireau of CM designs https://www.instagram.com/_cmdesigns_/ because I knew he was a 90's moto fan boy like me. He painted a stabilizer and moto ace visor to match and made the helmet look glorious. I was going to simply do an auction at first but then realized it isn't really fair to just let it go to the person that is willing to spend the most money. (And I think I can raise more money this way)...So now I decided we are doing a raffle, and the money will go directly to James because it will be based on donations to his gofundme page.

For each $20 donation to his page you can have your name placed in the raffle, I will stop taking entries on April 1st. Put your name and screen name and vital mx in the message when you donate so I can keep track of everyone that donates. If this ends up going beyond vitalmx I might have to come up with a different way to keep track of everyone, but we can start with this for now. Here's the helmet and a link to his gofundme page. I will take more pictures when the helmet gets back to me, but for now it is getting shipped back tomorrow. Good luck! I hope it goes viral in someway throughout the moto community. (Paging DC)

James Marshall GoFundMe page
|
1/31/2016 7:29pm
James is a stand up guy! Caleb killed it as always glad to see this all come together for a great cause!
2/1/2016 12:15am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 12:17am
I also figured I would mention that all the padding is removed from the helmet. It had decomposed while it was in my attic. It also has all new clear coat. If you want to get ahold of Chris who painted the helmet his number is 810 397 5147. Don't make me donate $20 to get my own helmet back!
Holigan
2/1/2016 3:43am
"I will draw a name on February 31st."

You might want to have the drawing on a different day.
Mike.
2/1/2016 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 8:40am
This is a really cool idea!

I'll get the raffle donations started - $22 - Mike. S

The Shop

MX Culture
2/1/2016 10:25am
Holigan wrote:

free beer tomorrow
2/1/2016 10:33am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2016 10:34am
Holigan wrote:

Haha, oops! I changed it. I have night shift brain. Here are more pictures.

ocscottie
2/1/2016 11:38am
Just wanted to give ya a big shout out and say thanks for doing this, James is a stud! and us gimpers live a tough life that not many can relate to. The day to day struggle is real and anything that can ease it is awesome.

People please help James!!
PressPassP
2/1/2016 3:28pm
Bump for an awesome cause...help James get what he needs Cool
Zoom
2/1/2016 7:26pm
You guys have no idea how hard life is for James everyday. He is a fighter and inspiration to us all!!!

I have been close to James before and after his accident. Helped get him the Moose deal right before he got hurt. Been a board member for the James Marshall Project. For the last 6 years I have had James on as a sponsor of the Main Event Series. The largest night series in Texas. We give James the proceeds from every event shirt that we sell at each round.

James loves motocross and comes out to as many local races that he can.

Thank you for setting this raffle to help James, he needs the help and gains strength every time the MX community reaches out to him.
2/1/2016 8:29pm
I thought it would be really cool to try to get Mcgrath to mention it on instagram, but I'm not sure if it will let me tag him in it.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
2/2/2016 12:25am
I've been following James on Facebook since his accident, and pray for him from time to time. I've never met him, but I can see that he's a good guy with a great attitude.

I just made a donation.
Let's do this!

2/3/2016 10:06am
Bump, I messaged James through Facebook so I will see if he can get the word out better between his facebook and gofundme page. I would share it on my instagram or facebook but I have probably only 2 people on each who know who James or Mcgrath even are.
Mike.
2/8/2016 2:53pm
Bump, I messaged James through Facebook so I will see if he can get the word out better between his facebook and gofundme page. I would...
Bump, I messaged James through Facebook so I will see if he can get the word out better between his facebook and gofundme page. I would share it on my instagram or facebook but I have probably only 2 people on each who know who James or Mcgrath even are.
Bump..

I was hoping to check the Gofundme and see a ton of new donations for the raffle.
2/8/2016 5:07pm
Mike. wrote:
Bump..

I was hoping to check the Gofundme and see a ton of new donations for the raffle.
Me too, I'm pretty surprised, I figured all these vital guys would be all over a vintage helmet. I guess I should have done an older one (just kidding). I tried to get some people to share it on facebook and instagram but barely got any response. I'm going to try a couple other avenues too. I would hate to have more money invested in the thing than I am even able to raise for him.
Mike.
2/29/2016 11:29am
How many entries did this end up with? I figured it would stay at on the first page.
3/1/2016 1:49am
Mike. wrote:
How many entries did this end up with? I figured it would stay at on the first page.
Gosh, like 4. I had been talking with James about potentially extending the dead line and branching out to other websites but haven't heard from him lately, and it's been a month after the paint was done and the helmet hasn't actually came back to me yet. I was hoping to at least get to look at the thing for a second before shipping it off. I'm not sure. I'll try to contact James again tomorrow to come up with a plan. I was hoping he would mention it on his instagram or the gofundme page because so many people follow him.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
3/7/2016 5:55pm
Just donated 60 bucks... that makes 5 dudes in the raffle. Think of the odds BRO's......
kennyc
3/7/2016 7:04pm
I'm not interested in the helmet, but I donated.
3/10/2016 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2016 8:44pm
Well it showed up. Get your entries in by March 31st! I'll keep looking on ebay for cheek pads in case someone would want to actually wear it to ride in.

KB221
3/10/2016 9:04pm
that picture on your wall...
Madc32
3/10/2016 9:57pm
KB221 wrote:
that picture on your wall...
Bears!
3/15/2016 2:46am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2016 3:24am
Just a couple supercross champions hanging out at the breakfast bar enjoying the breakfast of champions.

3/16/2016 9:10pm
We got a lot of people to share it on instagram. Trey Canard even did it! We got a lot of likes and shares. Some more entries are starting to trickle in.

I bet you all have never seen a two headed chicken wearing a mcgrath helmet.

outlaw452
3/17/2016 5:39am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/10/127392/s1200_1457671516590_908872266.jpg[/img]

I had the opportunity to speak w @vanillaice782 later yesterday afternoon about extending the release date & what could be done to get more bites on this, to me, amazing helmet. If you would leave your suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. Andrew & I have worked very, very hard on this project & the cause is only a positive. Lucky, this time I'm not begging but providing a rare piece of memorabilia.

Andrew & I greatly appreciate everyones support because without YOU, we would not be this far. However, if you can find it in your heart to donate, please do so. I will also be putting an Outlaw Clo care package for our winner! Again, Thank you All
-James Marshall

Post a reply to: Raffling off a rare piece of moto memorabilia to help raise money for James Marshall

The Latest