Trying something different? (NASCAR Roval)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2018 5:47 AM

I don’t follow nascar but this change seems to be interesting. It’s somewhat comical but I think it’s probably needed. What’s impressive to me is how accepting so many people are to it. Doesn’t seem that the “integrity” of the sport is being sacrificed in their eyes...more so they are trying to keep the sport alive.

I’m one who is always interested in change. Supercross/Motocross, afterall, is an entertainment sport. A good chunk of races in the past few years were a snooze fest.

https://www.facebook.com/NASCARonNBC/videos/296969047699227/

|

9/28/2018 6:02 AM

Taking some customers to the race.... looking forward to being there in person as history is made at this first time race. .......but nowhere nearly as excited as I am for going to the MXdN race next weekend where history will be made!!!

Photo

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

9/28/2018 6:11 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Taking some customers to the race.... looking forward to being there in person as history is made at this first time race. .......but nowhere nearly as excited as I am for going to the MXdN race next weekend where history will be made!!!

Photo

Dress code at Nascar?

|

9/28/2018 6:17 AM

motomike137 wrote:

Dress code at Nascar?

Yea,contrary to popular belief, not all NASCAR fans are of the "Lot B" demographic haha...

|

9/28/2018 6:37 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Yea,contrary to popular belief, not all NASCAR fans are of the "Lot B" demographic haha...

Photo

If ya ain't parked in Lot B, ya ain't no NASCAR fan.
|

9/28/2018 6:56 AM

motomike137 wrote:

Dress code at Nascar?

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Donovan759 wrote: Photo

wassat
|

9/28/2018 6:58 AM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Photo

motomike137 wrote:

Dress code at Nascar?

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Lol. That Roval race is going to be interesting for sure. It could be really cool or a wreckfest or both!

|

9/28/2018 7:09 AM

At one point on this board someone suggested building a dirt oval with a SX infield for a race. That could be pretty cool. Mixing it up so all the tracks aren't cut and paste could be good for the sport, the sand at Tampa last year was a pretty big buzz, along with the triple crowns, Daytona and the mud in Seattle.

Also, I wonder if SX will go to NBCSN next year. It seems like they are making a push into Motorsports whereas FOX is looking to be more of a player in stick and ball and MMA. Having dirt motorcycle racing under one network could be pretty significant. What if you could buy a "NBC motorcycle gold package" that included commercial free streams of SX, MX and Dirt track (which has seen significant growth recently) for a tick over $100. Wonder if NBC could get roadracing from BEIN tv which it seems like no one has access to.

|

9/28/2018 8:01 AM

I don't get what the fuss is about at Charlotte. With Sonoma and Watkins Glen having been on the tour for years it's not like the drivers have forgotten how to turn right.

What am I missing, or are they just hyping it up to increase interest?

|

9/28/2018 8:08 AM

motomike137 wrote:

Dress code at Nascar?

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Donovan759 wrote: Photo

My one and only nascar race was at Phoenix. I sat between two guys like this that were sweating like crazy. Good times!

|

9/28/2018 8:11 AM

A new road course and during the playoffs. Going to be exciting stuff undoubtedly

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

9/28/2018 8:16 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

I don't get what the fuss is about at Charlotte. With Sonoma and Watkins Glen having been on the tour for years it's not like the drivers have forgotten how to turn right.

It's not about whether they can turn right or not. This "Roval" is a completely different animal than the other road courses they run. In testing it was a crash fest.

|

9/28/2018 8:23 AM

The subtle but impactful elevation changes are throwing some of the drivers off IMO

|

9/28/2018 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 8:38 AM

Matt Fisher wrote:

First time a NASCAR race has ever been half oval track, half road course. Never before have drivers and teams had to prepare for such a hybrid race strategy, let alone a hybrid car setup. Setting up a car for an oval vs a road course is quite different.. Should be pretty interesting

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

9/28/2018 8:48 AM

Funny how similar the layout is to Daytona's road course

|

9/28/2018 9:19 AM

Watching practice now. About 10 minutes in and about 6 guys have thrown it away!! It’s nit a regular road course. Way more like a street course in IndyCar or F1. No runoffs. Walls!!!

|

9/28/2018 10:07 AM

Damn, I will watch this. Only Nascar i watch is the road course stuff. This should make for good racing,

|

"Hope is not a strategy"

9/28/2018 10:27 AM

It's going to be a survivor race.

|

9/28/2018 10:29 AM

piscokid wrote:

Damn, I will watch this. Only Nascar i watch is the road course stuff. This should make for good racing,

I will probably watch this one too. The mixture of road course and oval looks pretty cool!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

9/28/2018 10:42 AM

Layout is copied from the original course from 30 yrs ago.

I kinda recall a IROC race being run on it.

IROC, that was a great series to watch.

Yeley just hit a ton, it's the non safer walls in heavy brake zones that are going to hand out neck stretchers ,these cars carry so much brake heat that it melts tire beads and loosing brakes gets you hurt.

|

9/28/2018 11:14 AM

SX needs to do a race at Bristol motor speedway. They can fit a football field in there so a track would work.. would draw a massive crowd

|

9/28/2018 11:27 AM

GuyB wrote:

It's going to be a survivor race.

Right, I don't see any but maybe one spot to pass unless you bump your way by,
This is a close to a figure eight race is it can be without a crossing in the middle

|

9/28/2018 11:32 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Layout is copied from the original course from 30 yrs ago.

I kinda recall a IROC race being run on it.

IROC, that was a great series to watch.

Yeley just hit a ton, it's the non safer walls in heavy brake zones that are going to hand out neck stretchers ,these cars carry so much brake heat that it melts tire beads and loosing brakes gets you hurt.

Yup, IROC was cool. Let drivers like Mark Martin, Davey Allison race against drivers in other series like Steve Kinser and king of short tracks Dick Trickle,

|

9/28/2018 11:58 AM

logan_140 wrote:

SX needs to do a race at Bristol motor speedway. They can fit a football field in there so a track would work.. would draw a massive crowd

I want to see a supercross/motocross race run through the roads of a town like they do with some F1 or Indy whoever does that.

|

9/28/2018 12:26 PM

tprice07 wrote:

I want to see a supercross/motocross race run through the roads of a town like they do with some F1 or Indy whoever does that.

That was what Supermoto should have done. The Long Beach Queen Mary race was the closest they got.

|

9/28/2018 12:57 PM

The Yellow Flag will see a lot of action, lol.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

9/28/2018 9:02 PM

Matt Fisher wrote:

F150Motocrosser wrote:

First time a NASCAR race has ever been half oval track, half road course. Never before have drivers and teams had to prepare for such a hybrid race strategy, let alone a hybrid car setup. Setting up a car for an oval vs a road course is quite different.. Should be pretty interesting

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Ah, car set up. Of course, can't believe I didn't think of that.
Sounds like it could end up being an interesting race. As for passing, Nascar is known for attempting to pass in areas that "normal" road race guys would rarely consider. Going three wide into Sonoma's Carousel, for instance.

|

9/29/2018 3:17 AM

Wish I had time to go it is going to be an exciting race.

|

9/29/2018 7:05 AM

I went to qualifying yesterday and caught a test session earlier this year.

That track is tight. With double file restarts, turns 1-3 are going to be fun to watch. Also, the stadium aspect allows for viewing of a lot of the action. It's cool to be able to see all of it where as the 2 other road courses are so big and spread out that you only see 1 turn.

They were carrying 172mph into the back straight kink and 160 into turn 17. That's a cool spot because every lap is like trying to get to pit road under green.

Lots of shifting. Not clicking paddles labeled up and down, but a real fucking lever where 3 can turn into 1 and end your day.

The best part. Most of the time at that track the outside wall catches the direct blast of the exhaust pipes, but now there are a lot of spots in the stands where those tail pipes point straight at your face. It was loud and I approved.

But yeah, it's going to be a crash fest.

|

9/29/2018 7:25 AM

I know it will be a damn hard weekend. Watchting NASCAR and then waking up to write the 125 EMX race report. Damn why is American sports like NFL, NCAAF, NCAAB, NBA, UFC, NASCAR, INDYCAR, so fun it wrecks mine biorhythm.

|