True Story

Regis
Fantasy
340th
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 5:37am
Dbarrett231 and another thread got me thinking about this memory. I am sure some of you will get a kick out of it.

I went 1-4-1 at Mammoth Mountain as a 80ccJR (novice or "c") for second overall in 1992 or 3 or somewhere right there. I was 13 or so.

Anyways, I convinced myself I was the next RJ.. I called Dave Arnold at least 15 times at Honda in Torrence for the next couple of months. I somehow got the corporate number out of a magazine and convinced the operator to transfer me to the race team manager... Anyways, on my way home from Ponca City that year my mom informed me that Dave Arnold finally called me back and left a message returning my call!!! I thought for sure I was getting the factory ride. I couldn't wait to get home to call my new manager back and pop the bubbly and by bubbly I meant orange soda, I was no J-law!

Unfortunetely, when we got to have our phone conversation when I got home, he wasn't too impressed with my 15th and 13th I got at Ponca. I tried telling him I almost won the race at Mammoth but he was more focused on other things and told me I wasn't quite ready for my ride. It was his loss though as the next year I rode Suzuki's and comletely DOMINATED 5-8th at allthe AM nationals the next year! I bet he is still regretting his decision not to hire me that year.
|
G-man
4/29/2010 12:19pm
.....yawn......zzzzzzzzzz Whistling
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 12:27pm
G-man wrote:
Hey, aren't you the drunk guy that gave that guy a pint beer at the USGP? Bengt Albert or something? Yeah Yeah I think your dad owned a Liquor store right?????? Man, i remember you brought like, what? 2 kegs of beer all the way up that hill.... Man, you are a true American MX hero!
G-man
4/29/2010 12:23pm
not me someone else.
Ask Bengt Woohoo

The Shop

G-man
4/29/2010 12:30pm
G-man wrote:
Regis wrote:
Hey, aren't you the drunk guy that gave that guy a pint beer at the USGP? Bengt Albert or something? Yeah Yeah I think your dad...
Hey, aren't you the drunk guy that gave that guy a pint beer at the USGP? Bengt Albert or something? Yeah Yeah I think your dad owned a Liquor store right?????? Man, i remember you brought like, what? 2 kegs of beer all the way up that hill.... Man, you are a true American MX hero!
How many more times you gonna edit that Regis?
Three isn't enough times? lol
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
4/29/2010 12:37pm
Tell us the story behind the $100 bill on the race fender.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/29/2010 12:40pm
while you are telling story's Regis, what about throwing your pants to the crowd in NZ to win the freestyle comp
Torco1
4/29/2010 12:43pm
scott_nz wrote:
while you are telling story's Regis, what about throwing your pants to the crowd in NZ to win the freestyle comp
Yeah.....come on, tell us some stories. Pleeeeeezzzzzee.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 12:45pm
scott_nz wrote:
hehe, the best two weeks of my life Scott. No doubt about it. (except of course, the birth of my son, the marriage yada yada yada) SmileSmileSmile
Torco1
4/29/2010 12:48pm
scott_nz wrote:
Regis wrote:
hehe, the best two weeks of my life Scott. No doubt about it. (except of course, the birth of my son, the marriage yada yada yada)...
hehe, the best two weeks of my life Scott. No doubt about it. (except of course, the birth of my son, the marriage yada yada yada) SmileSmileSmile
Wasn't it you that was getting the lap dance in one of the first MotoXXX videos?
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 12:50pm
Tiki wrote:
Tell us the story behind the $100 bill on the race fender.
That was for inspiration, a carrot I was chasing. A good friend of mine/mechanic/sponsor would put a $100 bill in clear vinyl on my front fender and I would chase it all race long.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 12:53pm
scott_nz wrote:
Regis wrote:
hehe, the best two weeks of my life Scott. No doubt about it. (except of course, the birth of my son, the marriage yada yada yada)...
Torco1 wrote:
Wasn't it you that was getting the lap dance in one of the first MotoXXX videos?
HA! that is even a better story! I rode for Team Green then and that movie premiered at Mammoth, we hid in the bar bathroom for a few hours to see it. My mom almost KILLED me for that one at the track the next day.

But the stripper story is good, but I already told one story today.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 12:58pm
Camp332 wrote:
[img]https://rickischultz.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/good-story.jpg[/img]
Honestly,

I have thought of making a book a couple of times called "stories from the road" or something like that. Have a few short stories told by some of the privateers throughout time. I have about 10-15 that I know people would pay to hear. Stuff that came because of racing but neccesarily about racing.

The Montana "RAVE"
The PA golf course ride
The Milville rental car wreck

I know I have been directly linked to some good stories, but I know of some great ones I had nothing to do with to that can be verified by many that are still around today.
jimid553
4/29/2010 1:01pm
Regis, don't you miss riding at Palm Ave? I sometimes drive by and see all the trails and tracks and cliff jumps and start crying. Those cliff jumps you were hitting in Moto XXX were super fun once I got the nuts to try them....I really miss riding for free anytime i wanted to. Anybody else miss Palm Ave?
Torco1
4/29/2010 1:06pm
Regis wrote:
Torco1 wrote:
Regis wrote:
HA! that is even a better story! I rode for Team Green then and that movie premiered at Mammoth, we hid in the bar bathroom for...
HA! that is even a better story! I rode for Team Green then and that movie premiered at Mammoth, we hid in the bar bathroom for a few hours to see it. My mom almost KILLED me for that one at the track the next day.

I got to hear a lot of your guys' stories from back then. I used to hang out with Kurt and Jordan waaaaay back in the day when the jump videos were just starting out. This was back when Jay Schweitzer was just doing warehouse work for MotoXXX.
Camp332
4/29/2010 1:07pm
Camp332 wrote:
[img]https://rickischultz.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/good-story.jpg[/img]
Regis wrote:
Honestly, I have thought of making a book a couple of times called "stories from the road" or something like that. Have a few short stories...
Honestly,

I have thought of making a book a couple of times called "stories from the road" or something like that. Have a few short stories told by some of the privateers throughout time. I have about 10-15 that I know people would pay to hear. Stuff that came because of racing but neccesarily about racing.

The Montana "RAVE"
The PA golf course ride
The Milville rental car wreck

I know I have been directly linked to some good stories, but I know of some great ones I had nothing to do with to that can be verified by many that are still around today.
I'd read it, brah!
G-man
4/29/2010 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
That sounds cool Andy.

You guys would shit if I could ever figure out how to get my 50 hrs + of video interviews with World Famous racers out there.

When I worked for the Airlines I traveled to all the races, had some phony press credentials and would go up to racers and stick a mic in their face with my Cuz filming.

ex Went right up to DeCoster & Hannah and interrupted their conversation--it is freaken priceless!
txmxer
4/29/2010 1:10pm
What does any of this have to do with Steve Cox?
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
jimid553 wrote:
Regis, don't you miss riding at Palm Ave? I sometimes drive by and see all the trails and tracks and cliff jumps and start crying. Those...
Regis, don't you miss riding at Palm Ave? I sometimes drive by and see all the trails and tracks and cliff jumps and start crying. Those cliff jumps you were hitting in Moto XXX were super fun once I got the nuts to try them....I really miss riding for free anytime i wanted to. Anybody else miss Palm Ave?
you had to be a man to ride Palm ave. I do miss it, but most people hated it.

Jesus, I got Palm stories too!!!

Mike Craig, Bader Manneh, Larry Brooks, Lechein and RJ is who I remember as ruling Palm Ave. There was absolutely no other track like it, with it's blue groove and pebbeles. As a kid I would watch those guys do the absolute craziest cliff jumps and hill climbs ever.

One time Craig took me to Palm, told a group of pro's he was training me and they would be hearing about me one day. He then told me in front of them to do this crazy cliff jump on my 80. I was so scared I told everyone I couldn't because if I crashed and bent my bars my mom would kill me. LMAO!!! Craig told me he would buy me bars and to do it. I started to cry. He rode over to me and told me to suck it up and if I didn't do it I wouldn't have a ride home. I freaking hit that thing WFO about 2 gears too high and launched with a who's who of current pros watching me. ATE CRAP. Craig bought me bars on the way home.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:29pm
Torco1 wrote:
Regis wrote:
HA! that is even a better story! I rode for Team Green then and that movie premiered at Mammoth, we hid in the bar bathroom for...

Torco1 wrote:
I got to hear a lot of your guys' stories from back then. I used to hang out with Kurt and Jordan waaaaay back in the...
I got to hear a lot of your guys' stories from back then. I used to hang out with Kurt and Jordan waaaaay back in the day when the jump videos were just starting out. This was back when Jay Schweitzer was just doing warehouse work for MotoXXX.
Whatever, I am bored work is slow so.......Kurt and Jordan arranged for the strippers, my 18th birthday was two days after we rode one day. We showed up to my buddies house and they said we were going for pizza for my birthday.

When I got there the chairs were in a circle and I asked why. Kurt said it was so when we talked we would be facing each other. I was 17 about 100lbs and so nieve (sp?). These chicks show up and knock at the door, I answer it and my jaw drops they were hot. Right when I start to stutter (speak) they interupt me and get me to do something else. By now about 10 of my friends are there. This whole time I think we are going to get Pizza. I ask about the chicks and my buddy says it is his cousins and they just stopped by to say hi.

About 10 minutes later the ghetto blaster is going and the chicks come from upstairs. I was still like "are these chicks going to get pizza with us?" I had no idea what was about to happen.
Torco1
4/29/2010 1:22pm
Regis wrote:
Whatever, I am bored work is slow so.......Kurt and Jordan arranged for the strippers, my 18th birthday was two days after we rode one day. We...
Whatever, I am bored work is slow so.......Kurt and Jordan arranged for the strippers, my 18th birthday was two days after we rode one day. We showed up to my buddies house and they said we were going for pizza for my birthday.

When I got there the chairs were in a circle and I asked why. Kurt said it was so when we talked we would be facing each other. I was 17 about 100lbs and so nieve (sp?). These chicks show up and knock at the door, I answer it and my jaw drops they were hot. Right when I start to stutter (speak) they interupt me and get me to do something else. By now about 10 of my friends are there. This whole time I think we are going to get Pizza. I ask about the chicks and my buddy says it is his cousins and they just stopped by to say hi.

About 10 minutes later the ghetto blaster is going and the chicks come from upstairs. I was still like "are these chicks going to get pizza with us?" I had no idea what was about to happen.
Haha.....you must really like pizza.
Camp332
4/29/2010 1:37pm
Regis wrote:
Whatever, I am bored work is slow so.......Kurt and Jordan arranged for the strippers, my 18th birthday was two days after we rode one day. We...

Did you tap dat ass?
Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 1:45pm
Regis wrote:

Camp332 wrote:
Did you tap dat ass?
no. I was scared shitless.
4/29/2010 2:04pm
Regis wrote:

Camp332 wrote:
Did you tap dat ass?
Regis wrote:
no. I was scared shitless.
They should have got you pizzas AND strippers. It was probably not as much fun on an empty stomach.
nytsmaC
4/29/2010 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:30pm
"...And When I Die, It Will Be With a Slice of Pizza in my Mouth & A Greasy Hooter in my Hand.."

-Al Bundy
hillbilly
4/29/2010 5:47pm
Gman has a tape he and a friend made with Gman interviewing riders like roger d and hurricane at the race hurrican tried to break roger's leg.

Gman asks roger what he thought,LMaO

we watched it a LL's the yeat gman drug his bike across the usofa and just missed the top 10 because of a pileup in the 3rd start.

That tape is so damn funny you just cant imagine,really
Blake
4/29/2010 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:30pm
Did you ever boink that Du pont chick like everyone else?

Got any stories from the Ha Penny Inn? Most "motos" were done there as practice. Highest class low class motel in El Cajon.

Palm was the bomb. I know stories, but the characters shall remain nameless.

Regis
Fantasy
340th
4/29/2010 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2010 6:50pm
Du pont chick? I don't know who that is maybe before my time......

I do know the Ha penny inn, and that is some funny stuff right there. I can't say I ever "experienced" that place. LOL.

My generation was the last of the "Cajon Zone". most were migrating to Murrieta and it was becoming the hot riding spot. Our tracks that Craig, Brooks, RJ, Lechein and Glover built were rapidly getting closed. I know the ones before me left a lasting legacy as far as chicks, hotels and partying but I was too young to hang with them! What is "boinking" is that like seat bouncing? Smile

Post a reply to: True Story

The Latest