Troy Lee SE4 or Bell Moto-9 MIPS For Round Head

Edited Date/Time 3/26/2022 10:04pm
I know the best option would be to try both of these helmets on, but that is virtually impossible right now as local dealerships don't really stock TLD. Bell supply is also very limited locally.

I have a rounder head than the typical intermediate oval. I have narrowed my selection down to these two helmets based on my research. The Moto-9 MIPS fit my head well, but a store test fit doesn't tell you much other than immediate and glaring hotspots.

Please no fanboy stuff. If you own one you I definitely want to hear your input, but that doesn't mean it's automatically "better" than the other. Just the facts, please!

1. Which of these helmets would be a better fit for a rounder head?
2. Which helmet model would you prefer and why?

Thank you.
|
clarkgray432
Fantasy
4009th
3/15/2022 11:57am
I’ve owned the bell moto 9. Was good for about 2 months then I hit my head in an odd little high side and i went to sleep and broke the helmet haha I have a pretty round head too but it’s small. Can’t speak on the TLD but there D3 back in my mountain bike days was super comfy and the new moto helmet is loosely based on it. If I were you I’d shoot for a fly formula. I have the carbon and absolutely love it. The cheaper versions are just a different shell I believe. But the bell is comfy! I just thought it would last longer.
ratonmacias
3/15/2022 12:18pm
i know the bell and the fly helmets fit me well both size m.

the tld has a hotspot right in the middle of my forehead when i try on the size medium and the large is too loose
3/15/2022 5:34pm
I’ve owned the bell moto 9. Was good for about 2 months then I hit my head in an odd little high side and i went...
I’ve owned the bell moto 9. Was good for about 2 months then I hit my head in an odd little high side and i went to sleep and broke the helmet haha I have a pretty round head too but it’s small. Can’t speak on the TLD but there D3 back in my mountain bike days was super comfy and the new moto helmet is loosely based on it. If I were you I’d shoot for a fly formula. I have the carbon and absolutely love it. The cheaper versions are just a different shell I believe. But the bell is comfy! I just thought it would last longer.
Thank you for the input. That sucks about the Bell! Which part of the helmet took the initial hit?

I can't myself ever see wearing anything Fly. I'm an old dude that was around when that brand first came out and it was generic garbage. And in my mind it'll always be just that. I know that's some ignorance on my part as the Formula gets great reviews, but for the price I can get an arguably better helmet from a brand that has proven itself for much longer.
3/15/2022 5:35pm
i know the bell and the fly helmets fit me well both size m. the tld has a hotspot right in the middle of my forehead...

the tld has a hotspot right in the middle of my forehead when i try on the size medium and the large is too loose
That's interesting. And you have a round head shape?

The Shop

owens623
3/15/2022 5:58pm
I’ve owned the bell moto 9. Was good for about 2 months then I hit my head in an odd little high side and i went...
5050 wrote:
Thank you for the input. That sucks about the Bell! Which part of the helmet took the initial hit? I can't myself ever see wearing anything...
Thank you for the input. That sucks about the Bell! Which part of the helmet took the initial hit?

I can't myself ever see wearing anything Fly. I'm an old dude that was around when that brand first came out and it was generic garbage. And in my mind it'll always be just that. I know that's some ignorance on my part as the Formula gets great reviews, but for the price I can get an arguably better helmet from a brand that has proven itself for much longer.
Wouldn’t get the formula, she’ll is to soft in it and it grabs the ground. Not sure about the composite version thow
ratonmacias
3/15/2022 6:18pm
i know the bell and the fly helmets fit me well both size m. the tld has a hotspot right in the middle of my forehead...

5050 wrote:
That's interesting. And you have a round head shape?
i think so, my brother has a more oval head shape and he prefers the tld fit
mirramaxx
3/15/2022 7:56pm
Hey OP (5050), I have both the SE4 and the Moto 9 really like them both. The TLD fits really good, I have switched to the EKS brand lucid goggle and I can run the nose guard with that helmet.

When running the Bell it fits really close in the chin vent area but really like its overall fit.

One thing to mention the SE4 fits pretty tight toward the top of my head. For me they both are great, slight edge to bell for the comfort around the cheek pad, its just a bit better. With the SE4 I get to run my noise guard on my goggles as 450 roost hurts ! The SE4 polyacrylite has a great price point too! Hope this helps you choose.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
3/15/2022 8:31pm
I just bought the TLD SE4, and it has a spot on the forehead that caused (for me) an instant headache from Hell. 30 seconds in that thing was all I could stand. It is a large, as I've worn a large since I was a late teen. It hurt so bad, 2 hours after removing it, my head still hurt. I hate that it's not going to work, because it weighs nothing, plus looks cool. So, it's on a truck back to returnland....Shitty thing is, I can't exchange for a larger size since it's a closeout and that color scheme isn't avail.... I've always worn Bell, but their new color schemes are less than impressive this year. So, the hunt begins. I can't try out these things local, so I cannot speak for the SE5 and it's fit, but I can say the SE4 to me is a torture chamber on my skull. Bright spot is I have a credit to put towards something else, or a full refund, thanks to Bobs cycle supply. Awesome folks to deal with! Prompt service, eager to make things right. Means a ton in this day and age!
dooher
3/15/2022 8:33pm
With my experience, the TLD helmets are definitely not for anyone with an oval shaped head. Lots of people complain about pressure on the forehead. Check...
With my experience, the TLD helmets are definitely not for anyone with an oval shaped head. Lots of people complain about pressure on the forehead. Check this thread:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Troy-Lee-SE4-Helmet-Fitm…
Agreed, i have both a Bell Moto-9 MIPS and a TLD SE4 (also MIPS), and the SE4 is definitely made for a more round head, i.e. that forehead pressure point folks are mentioning is noticeable to me because i have a more oval shaped head. The Bell is so damn comfortable though, I'd still go Bell for that reason alone.
Juck
Fantasy
330th
3/15/2022 9:14pm
The SE4 is the roundest fitting helmet you're gonna be able to get without importing one from Japan. I would assume that the Moto 9 MIPS fits more like the MX-9 MIPS than the Moto 9 Flex, and the MX-9 in my opinion is intermediate oval, maybe a little on the round side. I would label the SE4 as round. The SE4 is shaped kind of like a football in that it narrows up at the forehead like how most oval heads are shaped but it still fits round. I have a round head and if I were to wear one that was too small, I'd feel pressure points at my temples but also at the outer edges of my forehead just past my temple because of how it narrows up there, but it wouldn't be tight at the centre of my forehead. Anyway it's the roundest mx helmet sold outside of the Asian markets that I could find so if your head is round then the SE4 should be the best fit.
Zachintosh
3/15/2022 9:52pm
For what it’s worth, the Moto 9 Flex caused my round head some terrible pain. I’ve got a 6D now and it’s pretty well-suited for us bowling ball heads.
gt80rider
3/16/2022 8:31am
Me- large round type head... damn near flat back of my head... typically wear xl or xxl, depending on the brand...

With that said... I've never tried on a bell that fit my head very well...

Went riding yesterday with a tld se4.... had not used that helmet for a while... and I had forgotten just how perfectly it fits my head...
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/16/2022 8:44am
I had an SE4 Carbon that fit like a medieval torture device. I had to get rid of it. I had the pressure point on the forehead, but even worse, the rear of the helmet squeezed my skull right behind the ears. It gave me head, neck and back aches. Sad
3/16/2022 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 8:43pm
So much back and forth which I kind of expected. Our heads are similar, but yet so different!

The Alpinestars SM5 and M8 (to a much lesser extent because of the price) caught my eye too. Thoughts on those?
Moto Mofo
3/16/2022 9:12pm
Just went through this. The Moto 9 has been my favorite lid for several years now. However, you can get a Yellow/Black SE4 Carbon on Amazon for $400 right now (which is about $140-150 less than you’ll find it anywhere else). Most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever put on my head. Sent it back and tried the next size up, with thicker cheek pads… too big. Bums me out, really wanted to like it, especially at that great price.

I’ve owned Moto 9s, Shoeis, Arais, an Airoh, and have tried on the Fly Formula. All feel great to me. Was surprised that the SE4 was such an awful, painful fit for my head… just never experienced such a thing.

I wish Bell (and all the other companies too, for that matter) would offer some better graphics options on their helmets.
Juck
Fantasy
330th
3/16/2022 10:18pm
5050 wrote:
So much back and forth which I kind of expected. Our heads are similar, but yet so different! The Alpinestars SM5 and M8 (to a much...
So much back and forth which I kind of expected. Our heads are similar, but yet so different!

The Alpinestars SM5 and M8 (to a much lesser extent because of the price) caught my eye too. Thoughts on those?
Alpinestars helmets are one of the most oval fitting helmets I've come across
nofearccracer
Fantasy
1241st
3/17/2022 7:34am
5050 wrote:
Thank you for the input. That sucks about the Bell! Which part of the helmet took the initial hit? I can't myself ever see wearing anything...

I understand you're not a Fly guy and that's totally cool, but I'm not sure how you can say you can get an arguably better helmet... Can you find one that is GOOD and maybe even fits you better that also isn't Fly which is a plus for you? Yes but to say a better helmet i think is pretty unfair with all the safety technology that's in the Formula helmet I find it hard to believe you can find a "better" helmet. Maybe my definition of better helmet is different tho.

Now onto others, Both helmets you mentioned have MIPS protection BUT the TLD SE4 also has a breakaway visor plus is a better fit for a round head. I'd run the SE4 and don't be afraid to order different sized liner/cheek pads if you need in order to get a better fit.
TeamGreen
3/17/2022 8:47am
5050 wrote:

I understand you're not a Fly guy and that's totally cool, but I'm not sure how you can say you can get an arguably better helmet...
I understand you're not a Fly guy and that's totally cool, but I'm not sure how you can say you can get an arguably better helmet... Can you find one that is GOOD and maybe even fits you better that also isn't Fly which is a plus for you? Yes but to say a better helmet i think is pretty unfair with all the safety technology that's in the Formula helmet I find it hard to believe you can find a "better" helmet. Maybe my definition of better helmet is different tho.

Now onto others, Both helmets you mentioned have MIPS protection BUT the TLD SE4 also has a breakaway visor plus is a better fit for a round head. I'd run the SE4 and don't be afraid to order different sized liner/cheek pads if you need in order to get a better fit.
I run the SE4. I've worn it for quite a few years and have taken some pretty big hits in it. The multi-layer EPS and MIPS have been tested by my head on a few occasions and I've even destroyed a coupl'a brand new ones in off-road & track crashes...using up that multi-layer EPS in both cases.

So, I'm in the TLD/SE4 camp. Period.

I've worn all of them from the Polyarcylite to Composite and the Carbon.

While typing this I looked up SE4s on the TLD site & found...

Poly's on sale for $208
Carbon's on sale for $540

Psssst...I've seen Troy wear a Poly! Keep that on the DL, ok? Grinning

Another-thing, as to Fly being "junk" at one time and now competing amongst the "better brands"...

I wore the Fly helmets when they 1st started getting serious...2012...? Coach Seiji recommended I try them out. He was impressed with their new stuff. So...I did. They came out swinging with the Formula and a few others as time went on. They have INVESTED in safety, product improvement & quality at a level that needs to be recognized and respected. They make some great products and they truly seem to care about the rider & our sport.
They INVEST in The Sport, too.
As a guy that wears a brand of gear due to those very same concerns...it's easy for me to see that Fly makes great stuff.

Personally and as a guy that's watched this industry evolve for 50 years...

I want to wear gear made by someone that's invovled in our sport & our lifestyle...and I sure as hell AM gonna wear gear from a company that's trying to make things better; so, I wear TLD. BUT! I can...you can...say the same things about FLY.

Our sport is better because of these companies and the competition between them that keeps them pushing the limit.

See you at the track!

Manny
Big Lenny
3/17/2022 8:49am
Grandson's lids..Likes the Bell the most...Wink

TeamGreen
3/17/2022 8:58am
Big Lenny wrote:
Grandson's lids..Likes the Bell the most...;) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/03/17/538546/s1200_160648710_10208169506792661_3626152416551931465_o.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/03/17/538547/s1200_161283597_10208166572239299_8937081845580409280_o.jpg[/img]
Grandson's lids..Likes the Bell the most...Wink

People have no idea how Kenny Zahrt-Indian Dunes Old School you are.

btw, I'm gonna have to roll with the TLD lid! Grinning
Big Lenny
3/17/2022 9:10am
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm old as a MF'er...Laughing
TeamGreen
3/17/2022 9:36am
TeamGreen wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
I'm old as a MF'er...Laughing
And our old bones won't let us forget it!

Hope you-n-yours are living life like Sly Stone in The Day.

Manny
3/17/2022 11:50am
5050 wrote:

I understand you're not a Fly guy and that's totally cool, but I'm not sure how you can say you can get an arguably better helmet...

The Formula isn't even Snell rated. Would it pass Snell tests? Maybe. But why didn't Fly bother to get it certified for what is virtually a widely accepted standard in the US? I don't know about MX tracks, but I know there are on-road tracks that require Snell ratings, period. That alone makes other helmets better IMO.

The breakaway visor is great. I don't know why all MX helmet companies aren't doing this. Seems like a huge oversight.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
4009th
3/19/2022 4:21pm
5050 wrote:
The Formula isn't even Snell rated. Would it pass Snell tests? Maybe. But why didn't Fly bother to get it certified for what is virtually a...
The Formula isn't even Snell rated. Would it pass Snell tests? Maybe. But why didn't Fly bother to get it certified for what is virtually a widely accepted standard in the US? I don't know about MX tracks, but I know there are on-road tracks that require Snell ratings, period. That alone makes other helmets better IMO.

The breakaway visor is great. I don't know why all MX helmet companies aren't doing this. Seems like a huge oversight.
Paging JT
mirramaxx
3/19/2022 10:06pm
Motosport.com has SE4s at 188 !! That is what I paid for mine on Cyber Monday. Its a good lid !

I remember wearing knuckle bone helmets in my bmx racing days and some old head moto guys where the half helmet and mouth guard during vintage races. Thank goodness Helmets have gotten better !
nofearccracer
Fantasy
1241st
3/21/2022 12:57pm
5050 wrote:

5050 wrote:
The Formula isn't even Snell rated. Would it pass Snell tests? Maybe. But why didn't Fly bother to get it certified for what is virtually a...

I agree they should have gotten it snell approved just because that's been the standard for years, but the snell test is pretty irrelevant to moto. It was widely used for years because its all there was. We are now beyond that with safety tech much more specific to our sport and there isn't any official approval out there currently so they choose to save that money and invest it in the helmet itself and the advertising of the safety tech being used.
3/26/2022 9:48pm
I agree they should have gotten it snell approved just because that's been the standard for years, but the snell test is pretty irrelevant to moto...
I agree they should have gotten it snell approved just because that's been the standard for years, but the snell test is pretty irrelevant to moto. It was widely used for years because its all there was. We are now beyond that with safety tech much more specific to our sport and there isn't any official approval out there currently so they choose to save that money and invest it in the helmet itself and the advertising of the safety tech being used.
I disagree and I'll leave it at that.
3/26/2022 10:04pm
I made it to a dealership today that has Alpinestars, HJC and Troy Lee among others. The Troy Lee fit was absolutely terrible on my head. It squeezed it so tightly as some people in this thread described. Troy Lee is definitely out. AStars and HJC fit great. So I think I've narrowed it down to Alpinestars, Bell and HJC. I'm surprised the HJC fit my head as well as it did. The thing I don't like about HJC is that they only offer low-end helmets for dirt. So I guess that means my choice is narrowed down to Alpinestars or Bell.

Post a reply to: Troy Lee SE4 or Bell Moto-9 MIPS For Round Head

The Latest