Troy Lee SE4 Helmet Fitment Issues

KGAspeed
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2021 5:39am
I've worn a Medium helmet in nearly every brand since I was 18. Arai, Shoei, Previous Troy Lee AIR, etc.

I just ordered a new SE4 Factory Polyacrylite helmet in a Medium without thinking and its really tight at the forehead and just doesn't fit. Obviously I'll try a large.

Anyone else? I feel like I have a "normal" shaped head, but its just not right and found it odd that they changed their sizing structure. I currently have their AIR helmet in a Medium and love the way it fits...just as good as any high-end I've had in the past. Perfect fit which is why without-hesitation I went with a Medium in this new SE4.

A buddy is bringing his Large over this week for me to try - maybe I'll have to go that route with thicker cheek pads to get the fit I want. Or a different brand I suppose, but love Troy Lee products - this helmet especially is a great value in a MIPS product.

Just an FYI and curious if anyone else found odd fitment issues with this new SE4.

|
mirramaxx
11/19/2017 4:57pm
I love mine, I wear an XL in tld and have two air helmets an se3 and now an se4. All fit great, I think the mips system makes it fit different.
Steadman
11/19/2017 5:01pm
Ha! Was just checking out your helmet on Ebay.
KGAspeed
11/19/2017 5:39pm
Steadman wrote:
That’s funny. A kid that used to work for me now works at a big online retailer, so he hooked me up on this. Just don’t want to potentially get him in any heat asking him to return it.
Steadman
11/19/2017 5:47pm
Steadman wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
That’s funny. A kid that used to work for me now works at a big online retailer, so he hooked me up on this. Just don’t...
That’s funny. A kid that used to work for me now works at a big online retailer, so he hooked me up on this. Just don’t want to potentially get him in any heat asking him to return it.
It's a small world really Laughing

I'll be following this post closely for feedback. I'm like you, medium since I was 16 and have worn so many helmet brands over the years. My last 4 helmets have been Troy Lee Designs but yet to try an SE4.

The Shop

Moto520
11/19/2017 6:16pm
I think it fits pretty spot on.
tk2stroke
11/19/2017 6:21pm
I normally wear a medium, but with the SE4 I wear a large. I would say the SE4's run a half size smaller than most. Otherwise this fit is excellent.
Zaugg
11/19/2017 6:23pm
What exactly is a "normal shaped head"? haha

I used to have an old TLD helmet and it fits nothing...not even close...like the new SE4.

Not sure the large is going to be the fix. Hope if works out for you.

Cygrace74
11/19/2017 6:44pm
All brands fit differently, even between models, in a Bell moto 9 I'm an XL but in the Flex which I own I'm a 2x. In TLD I was a 2x, and in Shoei and Arai I'm a XL. Why to never buy a helmet online.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
11/19/2017 6:48pm
The medium & large se4 share the same shell but differ in headliner and cheek pad size.

I have new, never used large cheek pads and headliner from a large se4. I could use another medium set if you want to trade.
tempura
11/19/2017 6:55pm
I haven't tried the se4, but the older Troy lee's didn't fit me well at all.
Felt like they were short and half my face was protruding from the bottom, yet felt loose everywhere else.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/19/2017 7:07pm
Make sure you don't have it on backwards
Mr. Info
11/19/2017 7:20pm
Mine gave me a headache and it was because of pressure on the base of my skull which lead to my neck hurting first then the headache. I bought a medium as well. It’s a shame. It’s a great looking helmet and it accents their great gear. Had to switch back to my old brand.
slipdog
11/19/2017 7:46pm
disbanded wrote:
Make sure you don't have it on backwards
On point as always!
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
11/19/2017 7:52pm
You can buy Large cheek and headliner pads from TLD to change the size of your medium. I got a killer deal on a M SE4 (the only size in stock) and did this. TLD will even exchange the pads for free if you never rode in it.
KGAspeed
11/19/2017 8:07pm
pCp 252 wrote:
The medium & large se4 share the same shell but differ in headliner and cheek pad size. I have new, never used large cheek pads and...
The medium & large se4 share the same shell but differ in headliner and cheek pad size.

I have new, never used large cheek pads and headliner from a large se4. I could use another medium set if you want to trade.
Good to know - I knew they did this but wasn't sure which sizes matched up.

But I have another issue with this one - I'm going to custom-paint it and I expected the rubber outer trim to be gray; its more of a greenish-gray, so I'd like to get the solid-color matte black one now instead, as well.

But if I decide to keep it - if my buddies Large does actually fit better, I'll keep this in mind. I'm not really confident that will fix it - the helmet just fits really weird on me.

With my current AIR, I went with a Medium, but got Small cheek pads for it so it fit more snug; if the large works, I'm expecting to have to run thicker cheek pads to get the fit I want. Thanks for the input and offer.

I'll update this after I try on the Large either tomorrow or Tuesday morning.
KGAspeed
11/19/2017 8:10pm
Zaugg wrote:
What exactly is a "normal shaped head"? haha I used to have an old TLD helmet and it fits nothing...not even close...like the new SE4. Not...
What exactly is a "normal shaped head"? haha

I used to have an old TLD helmet and it fits nothing...not even close...like the new SE4.

Not sure the large is going to be the fix. Hope if works out for you.

I'm just saying that I've never had fitment issues with any other helmet.

And yeah I could immediately tell its a unique fit, for me. I was thinking about getting another AIR since it fits so good (and they're dirt-cheap right now), but I don't want to make a lateral move with a new helmet and really want MIPS. Believe in it or not, whatever, I'd just like to have it.
Zaugg
11/19/2017 9:04pm
KGAspeed wrote:
I'm just saying that I've never had fitment issues with any other helmet. And yeah I could immediately tell its a unique fit, for me. I...
I'm just saying that I've never had fitment issues with any other helmet.

And yeah I could immediately tell its a unique fit, for me. I was thinking about getting another AIR since it fits so good (and they're dirt-cheap right now), but I don't want to make a lateral move with a new helmet and really want MIPS. Believe in it or not, whatever, I'd just like to have it.
I think if you went with the cheek pad/ liner swap, that might be your best bet.

Right there with you on leveling up on your helmet game. Hopefully one of the solutions above work better than selling your existing lid and buying another.

Good luck...Let us know what worked for you.
jbrown15
11/19/2017 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 9:55pm
I've owned a SE3 in the past, I currently have a Bell Moto Flex. I'm pretty much a large in every helmet that I've owned. I was looking at getting a SE4 until I went and tried one on. So glad I didn't buy one online before trying one. The XL SE4 fit way tighter than my large Moto 9 Flex. Huge pressure point on my forehead too.

With my Bell I have the slightly thinner 30mm cheek pads but the helmet fits perfect. I was a little bummed out because I had found a wicked deal on a yellow carbon SE4 for $270 so I thought I'd give it a try. I guess I'll just stick to the Bell helmets.
Indy mxer
11/20/2017 3:51am
I'm the same as you. Always wear med. I wear 6D, which I love but I bought a SE4 for a second helmet.
It does run tight imo.
I'm going to order the bigger cheek pads. But it really is a nice helmet. Quality is top notch.
chrislauro134
11/20/2017 6:29am
I have both an SE4 composite, and a polyacrylite.

The cheaper helmet fits worse, go figure.

They aren't the same shell, the composite one fits like a glove. no forehead pressure.
KGAspeed
11/20/2017 7:25am
I have both an SE4 composite, and a polyacrylite. The cheaper helmet fits worse, go figure. They aren't the same shell, the composite one fits like...

They aren't the same shell, the composite one fits like a glove. no forehead pressure.
Good to know. The Large SE4 that a friend is bringing over to try on is the Composite, so maybe it won’t be an accurate fit.
11/20/2017 8:22am
TLD stuff usually runs a size small it seems. Even with their gear and clothing.
TeamGreen
11/20/2017 9:12am
I have both an SE4 composite, and a polyacrylite. The cheaper helmet fits worse, go figure. They aren't the same shell, the composite one fits like...

KGAspeed wrote:
Good to know. The Large SE4 that a friend is bringing over to try on is the Composite, so maybe it won’t be an accurate fit.
The fit between the composite and the carbon is EXACTLY THE SAME. The SE4 can be a little snug at 1st. I've been wearing it since it debuted. I ABSOLUTLEY love it and I've even tested it, the hard way, at Ft. Irwin. I know it works.
Brent
11/20/2017 10:03am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 10:06am
I bought 3 of the SE4 polyacrylite earlier this year when they came out, they are a little snug at first like Team Green says, but after a few uses mine are in the sweet spot.

Medium is snug and a good fit for me, but I have learned that some riders don't like how secure the TLD check pads are as compared to a Bell Moto 9.
Prntscrn
11/20/2017 10:07am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 10:08am
Some just doesn't fit specific head shapes. I for example can't wear Bell, they put to much pressure on my temples
Tonynz
11/20/2017 11:13am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 1:52pm
I have SE4 carbon helmet in Med, sizing is perfect for me. I also have a Bell moto 9 ( FastHouse) size med sizing is perfect.
Before SE4 had med 6D, was too big, had to get the thicker liner and thicker cheak pads.
Before 6D had earlier model TLD helmets, all med all fitted perfectly.
Have had Arai’s years ago could not get them to fit properly, old moto 4’s, 5’s and 6 all med.

I really wanted the Arai’s to fit med was way to large and small was tight.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/20/2017 1:35pm
jbrown15 wrote:
I've owned a SE3 in the past, I currently have a Bell Moto Flex. I'm pretty much a large in every helmet that I've owned. I...
I've owned a SE3 in the past, I currently have a Bell Moto Flex. I'm pretty much a large in every helmet that I've owned. I was looking at getting a SE4 until I went and tried one on. So glad I didn't buy one online before trying one. The XL SE4 fit way tighter than my large Moto 9 Flex. Huge pressure point on my forehead too.

With my Bell I have the slightly thinner 30mm cheek pads but the helmet fits perfect. I was a little bummed out because I had found a wicked deal on a yellow carbon SE4 for $270 so I thought I'd give it a try. I guess I'll just stick to the Bell helmets.
I had the exact experience really. Bell moto 9 carbon Large, SE3 large, FLY Carbon large, all fit great. Got a SE4 Large carbon, pinch point on my forehead. I actually went as far as taking the mips out. It fit better, but I wasn't going to run the helmet like that.

I bet I put the helmet on 50 different times to be sure. And yes, its to small. Guess I needed the next shell up, a XL, never have had a XL. I bought this helmet with one ride on it, guy needed a different size, that should have been my first sign to question the purchase.

Taylor415
11/20/2017 6:40pm
I guess I’m on the smaller side of large. I’ve had a large in pretty much everything else and the se4 carbon fits great. A buddy who’s also a large tried it on and said he’s glad he did, he ordered an XL.
RPM68
11/20/2017 7:05pm
MIPS, changed everything.

There’s a reason Helmets have MIPS, and Also why Bells highest end helmet, as well as Shoei and Arai don’t use it.

Post a reply to: Troy Lee SE4 Helmet Fitment Issues

The Latest