Troy Lee Designs Question

jemcee
9/4/2014 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2014 10:00am
(I realise the Q didn't need to be capitalized but it just seem to look better)

For a dude that has been on the forefront of design in the motocross industry for the last, what? 20 years! how come he never really changes the graphics for his race team? They've been the same for the last 4 years and by the looks even now he's changed manufacturers..
Is it a marketing trick? so you always know they are a TLD bike? Is it so you you notice the gear more?
I still think they are among the best looking in the pits, just seems weird to me

2015? can't really tell obviously but it looks pretty bloody similar
|
Cashmore
9/4/2014 10:20pm
I'm sure sponsors have a say where or how big the logo is $$$$ I'm sure thats why the logos never move
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
9/4/2014 10:46pm
Brand recognition maybe? In my opinion, I think SX is more popular with the people who don't ride, but recognize and can use products made by the biggest logos you see Addidas and Lucas Oil. Changing graphics all the time would make it look like a different team to the less informed. They do the plastic color changes for the one off races like breast cancer awareness or military appreciation. I would stick with the same team graphics if it was my team. Similar to a company logo in my opinion.
FWYT
9/4/2014 10:49pm
Yeah, I was going to say brand recognition as well. Gotta sear it into
the mind of the audience.
jemcee
9/4/2014 10:55pm
true.. plus there's not a whole lot you can do to change it up.. I just keep expecting to see something different from him every year something cool, something new, edgy, sexy... something I don't even know about

what? I thought we were in the trust tree.. are we not?

The Shop

dboivin
9/4/2014 11:00pm
every large company has rules on how you handle their logo...specially when they are a title sponsor. TLD doesn't have a ton of choice in a matter like this...he has to make it the best he can with what hes got to work with.

I think its smart to leave it unchanged for the brand recognition....but i'm a logo artist by trade...i wish i coulda created that lucas oil logo that is plastered just about everywhere. It may not be the strongest logo but when you see it, theres no doubt who/what it is.
Crush
9/4/2014 11:01pm
Yep... Recognition and also as Cashmore says the sponsor deals.

As far as I've read in any motorsports signage is usually sold as a set dollar for a set area of space. ie the shroud is the $x, the fender $y etc etc.

Long terms deals and they may not change... throw in Honda wanting the bike Red, Adidas wanting a blue seat, Lucas Oil being Red white and blue and the primary and your left with less and less flexibility...

In their case tho, at least they look good!
9/5/2014 1:34am
Troy is the best pencil in the market.
I think he has an open mind and he is trying something new.
And the new thing is that he created a graphic format everybody will always look at it and say:"Oh yeah, of course that is a TLD team bike".
Btw Coke or Pepsi never changed logos or colors and that worked,is it?
dboivin
9/5/2014 5:22am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/05/64373/s1200_21964206_origpic_db4339.jpg[/img]

i think these bikes were probably one of the best, most attractive looking bikes ever done....so far. the marketing, look and whole feeling you get when you look at that bike is spot on. well done by tld.
IWreckALot
9/5/2014 5:28am
They've got a really clean nice looking design. I never realized they were THAT identical from year to year. And his riders' gear always compliment the bike very nicely.

I really dig those neon yellow bikes. What race was that for?
jemcee
9/5/2014 5:40am
IWreckALot wrote:
They've got a really clean nice looking design. I never realized they were THAT identical from year to year. And his riders' gear always compliment the...
They've got a really clean nice looking design. I never realized they were THAT identical from year to year. And his riders' gear always compliment the bike very nicely.

I really dig those neon yellow bikes. What race was that for?
that was for Washougal one year and yeah they looked sick apparently they were green but looked yellow in pictures
it'd definitely be one of the cooler teams to be on
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
9/5/2014 6:49am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/09/05/64373/s1200_21964206_origpic_db4339.jpg[/img]

dboivin wrote:
i think these bikes were probably one of the best, most attractive looking bikes ever done....so far. the marketing, look and whole feeling you get when...
i think these bikes were probably one of the best, most attractive looking bikes ever done....so far. the marketing, look and whole feeling you get when you look at that bike is spot on. well done by tld.
This bikes look amazing and grab your attention for sure.

I didn't notice the TLD bikes haven't changed much from year to year but they look fantastic and TLD got it right with the look the first time and stuck with it.

9/5/2014 7:26am
Gotta think the KTM-TLD bikes for Monster Cup are gunna look righteous..
Wandell
9/5/2014 8:05am
Yep, brand recognition is an obvious answer. Plus they freaking knocked it outta the park to begin with.
Same thing with the Monster Pro Circuit Kawasaki's. They havn't changed a whole lot either.
davistld01
9/5/2014 9:44am

dboivin wrote:
i think these bikes were probably one of the best, most attractive looking bikes ever done....so far. the marketing, look and whole feeling you get when...
Ramrod wrote:
This bikes look amazing and grab your attention for sure. I didn't notice the TLD bikes haven't changed much from year to year but they look...
This bikes look amazing and grab your attention for sure.

I didn't notice the TLD bikes haven't changed much from year to year but they look fantastic and TLD got it right with the look the first time and stuck with it.

Whoever Troy has in the marketing end of his business, and whoever is responsible for sponsor logo placement is as sharp as a tack. I agree that the flo-yellow plastic popped better than any other, and every sponsors logo was well placed and easily seen. That's probably some of the reasons TLD gets people like Adidas to sign on.
motosmith
9/5/2014 10:00am
I think the Q has to be capitalized. I could be wrong but I think every word in a title is Capitalized.

Post a reply to: Troy Lee Designs Question

The Latest