Tristan Charboneau in the EMX250

Kid crushed it in Portugal last weekend and went 1-1. Guess they finally got the bike dialed in and he decided to wear gloves this time...haha. I heard he signed a 2 year deal, or maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have info on all this? He should be up in MX2 IMO.

Also good rides from Weltin with a 3rd in EMX250 and A-Rod with an 8th in MX2.
|
Yep
7/3/2017 9:36pm
Good to have some AMA riders attempting the GPs. A-Rod was enjoying it and his attitude will help him if he gets a ride.
philG
7/4/2017 12:37am
The guy needs to work on 1 lap speed so he can get out of qualifying , too many LCQ visits and shit gate picks make the job hard work.

I would be surprised if he signed again, the bikes have been super flaky.. seen them break in the holding area.
7/4/2017 1:32am
It's all about getting used to things and getting your confidence up, just like Sanayei at the end of last year. Not surprised they are hetting going at this point of the season and on that track. I would guess that atleast Charboneau would step up to MX2 for next year.
philG
7/4/2017 6:38am
It's all about getting used to things and getting your confidence up, just like Sanayei at the end of last year. Not surprised they are hetting...
It's all about getting used to things and getting your confidence up, just like Sanayei at the end of last year. Not surprised they are hetting going at this point of the season and on that track. I would guess that atleast Charboneau would step up to MX2 for next year.
I don't understand why they didn't stick him in MX2 straight away , takes away the pressure of being in the show, and gives you bike time to sort setup and stuff which they are desperate for.

They could have still just done the Euro rounds.. maybe Youthstream said no.

EMX is insanely tight,which shows that guys can go top 5 in the races, after having to do the LCQ .

The Shop

roninho
7/4/2017 8:19am
philG wrote:
I don't understand why they didn't stick him in MX2 straight away , takes away the pressure of being in the show, and gives you bike...
I don't understand why they didn't stick him in MX2 straight away , takes away the pressure of being in the show, and gives you bike time to sort setup and stuff which they are desperate for.

They could have still just done the Euro rounds.. maybe Youthstream said no.

EMX is insanely tight,which shows that guys can go top 5 in the races, after having to do the LCQ .
Looking at his first 8 motos in EMX were he finished 9th-36th-19th-17th-21st-33rd-27th-15th it seems to me they made the right call. And not even including that doing the euro GP's is another 10k to the budget.
philG
7/4/2017 10:11am
roninho wrote:
Looking at his first 8 motos in EMX were he finished 9th-36th-19th-17th-21st-33rd-27th-15th it seems to me they made the right call. And not even including that...
Looking at his first 8 motos in EMX were he finished 9th-36th-19th-17th-21st-33rd-27th-15th it seems to me they made the right call. And not even including that doing the euro GP's is another 10k to the budget.
Maybe, i think they underestimated the class, lots of guys in there that could (and maybe should ) be in MX2 already, TKO has gone from front of one to the front of the other.
7/5/2017 12:22am
roninho wrote:
Looking at his first 8 motos in EMX were he finished 9th-36th-19th-17th-21st-33rd-27th-15th it seems to me they made the right call. And not even including that...
philG wrote:
Maybe, i think they underestimated the class, lots of guys in there that could (and maybe should ) be in MX2 already, TKO has gone from...
Maybe, i think they underestimated the class, lots of guys in there that could (and maybe should ) be in MX2 already, TKO has gone from front of one to the front of the other.
TKO, Prado, Lawrence, Vaessen, Sanayei. Last years EMX250 class was pretty fast. Furlotti had an 11th place in Germany this year when he rode MX2 there in the absense of the EMX class, and Lesiardo scored points also so this years class isn't much worse. The way Sihvonen rode before his injury I think he could have scored top 10 results in MX2.
philG
7/5/2017 12:55am
In the old days all of those guys would have been trying to make the 40 rider gate for the GP, but now its split, its hard to tell who is where, speedwise.

EMX250 is great for kids stepping straight off a 125, there are guys who could and should be in MX2 on speed, there are plenty of riders to back fill those that move up.. that said EMX is great racing and its not easy to win,
Robgvx
7/5/2017 5:12am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 5:13am
That's what I don't like about EMX. There are tons of fast riders. Put them all through qualifying and put the fastest 40 in the GP class and the non-qualifiers ride the support class.

Isn't that what GPs are supposed to be? The fastest riders?

If some pay-to-play GP guy doesn't qualify, tough. Be faster.
philG
7/5/2017 5:18am
Robgvx wrote:
That's what I don't like about EMX. There are tons of fast riders. Put them all through qualifying and put the fastest 40 in the GP...
That's what I don't like about EMX. There are tons of fast riders. Put them all through qualifying and put the fastest 40 in the GP class and the non-qualifiers ride the support class.

Isn't that what GPs are supposed to be? The fastest riders?

If some pay-to-play GP guy doesn't qualify, tough. Be faster.
It is but I think it allows guys to step in gradually , team's and riders alike. Easier to raise a budget to say you won EMX that run in GP's in 25th . Personally I would love it to be full of aged out MX2 guys ( Clarke , Pocock etc ) so the kids couldn't win it unless they had proven speed.

It is still a screwed up system, but things aren't as simple as they used to be. Talking to a guy who knows, the budget to run a top line 250F is staggering , just in parts , let along associated costs .. the days of having 6 bikes a year , running them for 3 GP's and moving them on are long gone.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
7/5/2017 6:10am
By the way does anybody know that deal about Anthony Rodriguez?

I know he's done for now and heading back to the states, but I heard that there might be a chance for him to sign with HRC Honda for next year?!

I don't know but if that happens it's one more very weird choice for HRC. If they are thinking about it NOW to possibly sign him next year, why send him home now after two GPs and not let him get more experience this year...
Bearuno
7/5/2017 6:45am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 7:08am
I wish it were clear and in the open as to what are the requirements for being in the MX2 class (and the MXGP class).

Is it that it's mainly contracted Teams that are 'in', with a few 'wildcard entries?

Are there also quite heavy requirements with regard to team presentation, over and above the very high entry fees, and overseas travel expenses?

And on, and on, and on.

I never have been able to find the whole list of requirements and charges the times I've gone searching.

You see EMX2 riders doing select GPs at times. They've met riding standards, or is it just (well, of course including) they / their team have stumped up the money to race?

I quite like the EMX classes - it seems to be a cheaper way for a rider / team to get into things, yet show themselves off to bigger teams and crowds when the classes are held at a GP. It also shows the troglodytes that always want to denigrate Euro MX, that there are a hell of a lot more fast riders and teams than just what is seen in the heavily controlled MX2 and MXGP classes. As ever, I say again, I'd like to see an EMX450 class, as well.

That you see so many 'aged out' riders in EMX2 is not a good thing, to me - it just shows how it fucks up the careers of so many riders.

MX2 is a World Championships - it should have No age limits to it. Hell, Rahier didn't get his first World 125 Championships ( yes - I know 1975 was the first year of a 125 MX World Championships) until he was something like 28, I think. Though, aging out certainly brought Zach Osborne back to the US - he said he wasn't ready for MX1 / MXGP at the time that he was going to be forced up to it. He had no option, other than going back to the US (or other National series) , or entering MX1 / MXGP. The aging out rules certainly help the flow of riders to the US series / or the depletion of riders from the GPs - take your pick with those points of view. You'd think Luongo might just give thought to that...... Whistling
Bearuno
7/5/2017 6:53am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 6:55am
crusty_xx wrote:
By the way does anybody know that deal about Anthony Rodriguez? I know he's done for now and heading back to the states, but I heard...
By the way does anybody know that deal about Anthony Rodriguez?

I know he's done for now and heading back to the states, but I heard that there might be a chance for him to sign with HRC Honda for next year?!

I don't know but if that happens it's one more very weird choice for HRC. If they are thinking about it NOW to possibly sign him next year, why send him home now after two GPs and not let him get more experience this year...
He knew the deal before he went, one would think.

To have got more than the 2 races that the deal entailed, he would have had to done better than he did - though he did pretty bloody well in Portugal. It will be the same for the other riders coming in for these 'try outs'.

It's a hard thing, is racing, And, the mob in charge of Honda's MX2 set up, down from being the MX1 / MXGP team, have been known for their 'way' about doing things, for many years. I think Honda would do well to set up a very much 'different' team, with their efforts for next year in MX2

philG
7/5/2017 7:21am
A_Rod knew it was a 2 race deal, as some else had dibs on the next GP's and as far as I am aware, Honda are honouring that. The fact that he came and put himself in the shop window , will stand him in good stead, there are some well funded teams needing riders , and he showed he has the pace. He may have done enough for next year, who knows, Cervellin is doing OK, but he isn't setting the world on fire and South America is a huge market, which is why MXGP goes there.

Imagine if Mookie had rocked up with a set of forks and a shock (no ECU) and ponced a practice bike off of Stefan Everts, just to put himself out there.
loftyair
7/5/2017 9:14am
Does the emx series run a 20- minute qualifier, like worlds, or do they run a fast lap bullshit, like ama?
Motofinne
7/5/2017 9:16am
loftyair wrote:
Does the emx series run a 20- minute qualifier, like worlds, or do they run a fast lap bullshit, like ama?
They do qualifying sessions like in US.
loftyair
7/5/2017 9:28am
Yeah, that sucks. So a heavy-weight that can go fast for 2-minutes on a smooth track gets in. Puts around for 30 minutes. A guy who would smoke him after 15 minutes on a bumpy rutted track, and still goes pretty fast for 30 minutes, doesn't get to play.
philG
7/5/2017 11:56am
Its how it is... pony up your 1000eu and you can run MX2 and get the extra track time and not worry, for 400eu you have to make the cut... and there are a lot of fast riders , its easy to end up in the lqc , especially in the sand
7/5/2017 1:30pm
Some really good reading guys, a lot of good points on stuff that doesn't get talked about too much.

I like the EMX250 class. It's a natural way of stepping up from 125s on your way trying to make it to MX2, and the xompetition is hard. Yes, the top riders in the class would do well in MX2, but as mentioned it's easier to make a name for yourself as a top EMX guy than a top 20 MX2 rider, and for less money. What I don't like is that there isn't an age limit like in MX2. I think Malin mentioned that Furlotti, who rode MX2 last year, aged out of MX2 and that's why he dropped to the EMX class, which in my mind doesn't make sense.

The EMX450 class sounds like a good idea and could work as a platform for guys that age out of MX2. After all there is already a bunch of guys that ride some National series and some selected GP's that could find it a good option. But at the end, we already kind of had that class in the form of the MX3 class a couple of years back, and atleast I didn't think too much of that class. Yes, there were a couple of younger guys that were still trying to make something of their careers, but mainly older guys with the backing and/or extra cash around to be able to ride and race around before retiring.
7/5/2017 2:54pm
Some really good reading guys, a lot of good points on stuff that doesn't get talked about too much. I like the EMX250 class. It's a...
Some really good reading guys, a lot of good points on stuff that doesn't get talked about too much.

I like the EMX250 class. It's a natural way of stepping up from 125s on your way trying to make it to MX2, and the xompetition is hard. Yes, the top riders in the class would do well in MX2, but as mentioned it's easier to make a name for yourself as a top EMX guy than a top 20 MX2 rider, and for less money. What I don't like is that there isn't an age limit like in MX2. I think Malin mentioned that Furlotti, who rode MX2 last year, aged out of MX2 and that's why he dropped to the EMX class, which in my mind doesn't make sense.

The EMX450 class sounds like a good idea and could work as a platform for guys that age out of MX2. After all there is already a bunch of guys that ride some National series and some selected GP's that could find it a good option. But at the end, we already kind of had that class in the form of the MX3 class a couple of years back, and atleast I didn't think too much of that class. Yes, there were a couple of younger guys that were still trying to make something of their careers, but mainly older guys with the backing and/or extra cash around to be able to ride and race around before retiring.
Furlotti rode a round of MX2 this year so he can't of aged out. Germany maybe.
7/5/2017 3:31pm
Some really good reading guys, a lot of good points on stuff that doesn't get talked about too much. I like the EMX250 class. It's a...

Good stuff....and thanks to everyone for the info.
philG
7/5/2017 4:09pm
The EMX 250 class is 7 rounds i think, for a guy trying to make it, its a great shop window, better exposure than a national series IMO, older guys give it credibility , Steven Clarke beat Bogers to the title by a couple of points one year, Kouwenberg won it but never got better, Pocock won it, and Febrve won it (i think)and Gajser . Recent finds have been Patrurel and TKO, Jonass, Covington did a few too, so its a proven route, and the budget isnt stupid , assuming you already have the bikes.

EMX 450 is a bit pointless, that was kind of what MX3 was , and although it got riders, they didnt ride at GP weekend and went to random places as a try out for a proper GP.

Any of the top 10 or 15 could be in MX2, but the rides that do a full GP series are thin on the ground, with the amount of fly aways.

They are great races to watch, they are all hanging it out
Bearuno
7/5/2017 7:35pm
MX3 was for up to 500cc 2 strokes, and up to 650cc 4 strokes. It was, kind of, a hold on to an older era. Initially, with the 4t rules, I think it was something like a 470/480cc minimum, but I think rules got bent / adjusted for the 350s to be used as the class was 'dying' . I last 'noticed' Jussi Lansoo(sp?) racing a 350 in MX3.

An EMX 450 class would offer the same opportunities that EMX250 does, but for 450 class riders and teams. A chance to show their 'wares' to on a bigger stage. And You know, RG1, there are a Hell of a lot of very fast riders throughout Europe and Britain that do National series on 450s. As ever, it would be an eye opener for the Twats that have no idea about racing outside of the US, to see just how many riders and teams there are, that would love to do GPs.

EMX450, would be nothing like the old MX3 class.
mxjon454
7/5/2017 8:38pm
loftyair wrote:
Yeah, that sucks. So a heavy-weight that can go fast for 2-minutes on a smooth track gets in. Puts around for 30 minutes. A guy who...
Yeah, that sucks. So a heavy-weight that can go fast for 2-minutes on a smooth track gets in. Puts around for 30 minutes. A guy who would smoke him after 15 minutes on a bumpy rutted track, and still goes pretty fast for 30 minutes, doesn't get to play.
I think having the fast lap qualifiers are a better way to go then a 20 minute moto just for gate pick. Why put that risk on the riders just for a gate pick? Also does anyone know why the gate pick from the 20 minute moto is for both motos? Why not have it for the first moto and whatever place you get in the first moto is your gate pick for the 2md moto? Also get that age rule out of MX2 already.
Cortami79
7/5/2017 11:19pm
I've heard that a full year of EMX250, with some proper preparations during winter time (training in Spain at hardpack tracks) & bike + travel costs are about 60-80k. For that amount of money you can buy yourself in a proper team too. Doing a full year of GP's in MX2 costs you about 3 to 4 times more, and you are not even on a factory supported team yet. That is the reason why so many riders are doing the EMX rounds. Obviously, the age rule is pathetic and another reason why many riders won't race. IMO the EMX250 needs to have an age limit of 23, not the MX2. Guys like Kras, Kouwenberg, Butron, Pocock and many more will ride the GP's. IMO those guys careers are ruined by this system. Same goes for Joel Roelants, who was an excellent 250 rider, but had some issues getting used to the 450.

An EMX450 class would not be the answer I think. The MXGP gate is barely filled. Maybe it would be a cool idea to give the country that hosts the GP the possibility to choose 5 riders for each class as wild card riders. No entry fees and a possibility to make a name for yourself. For example, France is able to choose from about 20 riders who are capable to score points in a motoGrinning

And how about adding the European qualifying rounds of 85cc to the GP circuit? This year is the third time I'm going to Loket, last year the EMX65 and 85 finals where hosted between the MXGP races, and those kids are on fire!

In a perfect world the setup would be for me:
- 6 rounds of EMX85 (5 qualifying races, 1 final)
- 9 rounds of EMX125 - age limit 16 years (?)
- 9 rounds of EMX250 - age limit 23 years
- 19 rounds of MX2 - no age limit
- 19 rounds of MXGP - no age limit obviously

7/5/2017 11:37pm

Furlotti rode a round of MX2 this year so he can't of aged out. Germany maybe.
Oh shit yeah I forgot that completely Laughing
agn5009
7/6/2017 12:25am
Yep wrote:
Good to have some AMA riders attempting the GPs. A-Rod was enjoying it and his attitude will help him if he gets a ride.
Hopefully more AMA guys get the opportunity to do it. It does nothing but attract fans from the USA. Luongo knows how many more people pay attention just because a guy who has raced in the state's goes over to race a GP. Remember the GP race threads when Villopoto was in It? They were usually around 20 pages if I remember correctly. Now the race thread shares the practice/qualifying thread and they usually comprise of about 5 guys and end up being 2 or 3 pages.

I know no one other than Dungey, Tomac, Roczen returning or Baggett competing in the GP's would generate nearly as much hype as Villopoto but having a 5th to 10th place 450 guy go over would generate more interest. I doubt anyone will do it, but I can dream.
7/6/2017 1:47am
agn5009 wrote:
Hopefully more AMA guys get the opportunity to do it. It does nothing but attract fans from the USA. Luongo knows how many more people pay...
Hopefully more AMA guys get the opportunity to do it. It does nothing but attract fans from the USA. Luongo knows how many more people pay attention just because a guy who has raced in the state's goes over to race a GP. Remember the GP race threads when Villopoto was in It? They were usually around 20 pages if I remember correctly. Now the race thread shares the practice/qualifying thread and they usually comprise of about 5 guys and end up being 2 or 3 pages.

I know no one other than Dungey, Tomac, Roczen returning or Baggett competing in the GP's would generate nearly as much hype as Villopoto but having a 5th to 10th place 450 guy go over would generate more interest. I doubt anyone will do it, but I can dream.
Covington is actually doing a really good job right now. He's a contender for wins at every race now, with just a tad more consistency he's a title contender next year.
As for the interest in the GPs in the US, I think fairly many watch and follow the series, they just don't show up in the race threads since many probably aren't able to watch the races live.

Post a reply to: Tristan Charboneau in the EMX250

The Latest