Triple jumps (safety discussion)

BobbyM
2/18/2018 7:54am
MXD wrote:
And can we add "why would you put a high speed straight right up against a bowl turn heading the opposite direction" to the discussion?
Without a net
BobbyM
2/18/2018 7:58am
Roll them with the flashing res lights the first lap.
Or at least the first half lap
BobbyM
2/18/2018 8:00am
yak651 wrote:
I thought on Pulp they said Trey was only at A1. What's the point of creating the position if not going to be at all the...
I thought on Pulp they said Trey was only at A1. What's the point of creating the position if not going to be at all the races? Just for show that they care? In fact, pretty similar to what happened to Trey a few years back...shame it has to keep happening
Trey was at Phoenix
Moto88
2/18/2018 8:03am
Step down triple. You can roll it, double it, or go big and triple it. Much safer for the riders and big air for the fans.

The Shop

Ron_Shuler
2/18/2018 8:13am
MXD wrote:
Maybe a first lap double only rule? At the very least they should be closer to the end of the lap.
This is exactly what I say, if a triple is with in the first half of the track on the start then double only or build the track so a triple is latter in the lap. Something needs to be done because if you look at the 450 class it's getting a little thin and it's not even half way threw the year.
Asimo
2/18/2018 8:22am
Sounds like everyone now wants to ban triples. Have you guys ever watched flat track or TT?

lucas51
2/18/2018 8:22am
I think we all saw during the 250 lcq I believe it was how slick the concrete to the left of the triple was. Maybe if they could roll out some type of artificial grass or something along the sides of the track riders would have a place to go that they aren't almost destined to crash because of how slick it is? It would be fairly cheap to do for the safety of the riders and photographers/cameramen that are on that path.
dkg
2/18/2018 8:39am
Motofinne wrote:
There was a thread about this earlier this week. Just remove 2 tuff blocks on the ground so a rider that can't make the triple has...
There was a thread about this earlier this week.

Just remove 2 tuff blocks on the ground so a rider that can't make the triple has a safe route out of the obstacle and isn't forced to do the single.
logan_140 wrote:
I️ agree with that, however there shouldn’t be a triple when riders are all bunched up. In barcias case he could have got off the track...
I️ agree with that, however there shouldn’t be a triple when riders are all bunched up. In barcias case he could have got off the track but didn’t.
I agree, something should be done. At first impression, this seems like a good solution, however, depending on where the exit is located it may bring about its own set of issues. For instance if the exit is onto an exterior lane onto plywood/concrete there’s been a lot of problems with the exit reentry because of the lack of traction. I’d favor eliminating triples right after the start. Actually I thought this became the standard after the Canard incident.
hamncheeze
2/18/2018 8:39am
In the pic we can see Barcia has an out to the left. But what about Seely on the inside? He has nowhere to go. I think having a mandatory double-single on lap 1 is the best compromise. Still leaves the racing open for remainder of the race with block pass and miss triple penalties.

However, we’ve seen bad accidents on lap 1 with whoops being too early, or with rhythm lanes being too technical in the 2nd straight. Where was the race in 2016 that had Short, Hahn and Nicoletti go down hard on lap 1? St Louis maybe. Or Detroit 2015 with Weimer and Canard. The reality is the first lap is dangerous in many places. But the triple could be eliminated as a risk on lap 1.
kkawboy14
2/18/2018 8:57am
He only had to move over 6 inches!
TD248
Fantasy
895th
2/18/2018 9:05am
Would it be such a bad idea to just fill in two and three with some dirt so riders don’t drop so far down that riders behind can’t see when a rider has to double in front of them? If built correctly you could even make the triples a little bigger that way too.
JJ4
2/18/2018 9:21am
It was an unfortunate night for sure.....this on/off at the end of the first whoops section caused some trouble in practice for some of the B and C guys. There were about 3-4 times guys clipped the small landing jump coming off and sent them over the berm into the oncoming left off of the straight. It was a miracle that every time it happened there was no one there or it could have been really bad.

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
2/18/2018 9:34am
MXD wrote:
And can we add "why would you put a high speed straight right up against a bowl turn heading the opposite direction" to the discussion?
logan_140 wrote:
That’s just plain stupid.. did they ever show that?
MXD wrote:
I haven't seen any footage of it.
They have footage. It showed up in the highlight package they were running on the monitors in the stadium after the race. Saw it when we were walking out. Just the moment of impact.
kb228
2/18/2018 9:39am
Triples arent that big of a safety issue. If we look at barcias situation, he made a mistake and missed the jump. Im no scientist but if you make a mistake on any obsticle when 20 guys are behind you, youre gonna have a bad time. Look at canard a few years ago when he got landed on. He made a mistake and missed the jumps. Its a rider problem not a jump problem. Accidents happen.
FalseNeutral
2/18/2018 9:49am
These guys would really be better off if they just twisted the throttle cable and sent it. Sure he might crash still, but it seems like the safer option in this case would have been to huck it. This is pro level so you have to hit a something this basic on the first lap.
Dirt222
2/18/2018 10:09am
To sell motorcycles or not to sell motorcycles. We have come a long way from You meet the nicest people on a Honda. It is a sad day when you go to the boards and all the talk is about who got hurt, who missed what jump. The question should not be how to make a triple safe. The question is, have we moved the line so far into crazy land that those few riders born with all that natural skill never get the chance to become the next RC.
MX558
2/18/2018 6:47pm
kb228 wrote:
Triples arent that big of a safety issue. If we look at barcias situation, he made a mistake and missed the jump. Im no scientist but...
Triples arent that big of a safety issue. If we look at barcias situation, he made a mistake and missed the jump. Im no scientist but if you make a mistake on any obsticle when 20 guys are behind you, youre gonna have a bad time. Look at canard a few years ago when he got landed on. He made a mistake and missed the jumps. Its a rider problem not a jump problem. Accidents happen.
Finally some common sense . Barcia made a mistake and shit happens . I know when I'm on the track the 1st lap of practice or a race if I'm not doing the big shit ,move the hell over
Mit12
2/18/2018 8:01pm
early wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/18/244613/s1200_Screenshot_20180218_095624.jpg[/img] Tuff blocks were removed from the outside of the third jump. Justin could have riddien off the track but chose not to.

Tuff blocks were removed from the outside of the third jump. Justin could have riddien off the track but chose not to.
It looked like Justin scrubs a little to the left which made it worse.
hamncheeze
2/18/2018 11:34pm
These guys would really be better off if they just twisted the throttle cable and sent it. Sure he might crash still, but it seems like...
These guys would really be better off if they just twisted the throttle cable and sent it. Sure he might crash still, but it seems like the safer option in this case would have been to huck it. This is pro level so you have to hit a something this basic on the first lap.
Yes except this is exactly how Roczen hurt his ankle in Oakland in 2015. He did a bump and run pass on Reed, but the bump cost him some drive and he just went for the triple anyway. And we all know he cased it and that was the beginning of the end of that title run.

Post a reply to: Triple jumps (safety discussion)

The Latest