Triple Crowns should be Double Headers

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
After all of the talk about the triple crowns, reading what people like and don’t like about them, and listening to the Main Event Moto podcast this week, I think I’ve realized what needs to happen.

3 non point paying races combing to create an overall result that pays points takes a lot of the excitement out because there is no reward specific to the race on the track. This is the most obvious during the final race when you have somebody laying up because they’ve secured the overall with their current position. I believe the teams feel like paying triple the points as full points every race could impact things too drastically.

Also, the teams have been vocal about how little time there is to prepare for all 3 races. Some teams feel like they need to tech 2 bikes because of the lack of time which is only increasing costs.

I believe the happy medium and best option is doing what the sport figured out a long time ago, 2 motos both paying championship points and they could create a kicker as the person who wins the overall event gets an extra point or two.

During the day they run qualifying practice. Top 18 times seeded into the moto 1 gate with 19-40 racing an LCQ. Night show and TV broadcast opens up with the track fresh, 250 moto 1, 450 moto 1 and then an intermission where the track is fixed and the TV does their version of a half-time show. Then 250 moto 2, 450 moto 2, event recap and podium celebration. All races on TV pay championship points. There’s a break for track maintenance, refreshing the bikes, commercials, etc.

I hope FELD isn’t letting their ego stop them from running 2 motos because they want to be different.

What do y’all think? Feel free to thumbs down.
|
3/6/2019 11:27am
731chopper wrote:
After all of the talk about the triple crowns, reading what people like and don’t like about them, and listening to the Main Event Moto podcast...
After all of the talk about the triple crowns, reading what people like and don’t like about them, and listening to the Main Event Moto podcast this week, I think I’ve realized what needs to happen.

3 non point paying races combing to create an overall result that pays points takes a lot of the excitement out because there is no reward specific to the race on the track. This is the most obvious during the final race when you have somebody laying up because they’ve secured the overall with their current position. I believe the teams feel like paying triple the points as full points every race could impact things too drastically.

Also, the teams have been vocal about how little time there is to prepare for all 3 races. Some teams feel like they need to tech 2 bikes because of the lack of time which is only increasing costs.

I believe the happy medium and best option is doing what the sport figured out a long time ago, 2 motos both paying championship points and they could create a kicker as the person who wins the overall event gets an extra point or two.

During the day they run qualifying practice. Top 18 times seeded into the moto 1 gate with 19-40 racing an LCQ. Night show and TV broadcast opens up with the track fresh, 250 moto 1, 450 moto 1 and then an intermission where the track is fixed and the TV does their version of a half-time show. Then 250 moto 2, 450 moto 2, event recap and podium celebration. All races on TV pay championship points. There’s a break for track maintenance, refreshing the bikes, commercials, etc.

I hope FELD isn’t letting their ego stop them from running 2 motos because they want to be different.

What do y’all think? Feel free to thumbs down.
I said year that it should simply be two 20-minute motos per class. It's always been mini-motocross, so it's time to own it.

I disagree on the bonus points for the overall, though. Just let the races stand on their own, same as in real motocross.

Post a reply to: Triple Crowns should be Double Headers

The Latest