Triple Crowns Deliver

Johnny Depp
The short history shows that it turns the apple cart upside down, which is exactly what this sport needs.

I wasn't too sure about the new format with 3 equal length "Mains" rather than the previous 3 different lengths. After seeing it in action, I like what we got. If the mains were longer we might have seen the usual suspects up front? Not to say the 1st 2 races didn't deliver unexpected results either, but the Triple Play increases the odds for chaos in the results which IMO is good.

I'd propose taking it a step further next year and letting each "Main" in a triple count as an individual series points round. Otherwise why are they called "Mains" and not Moto's?

The Olympic scoring is also a good thing, you don't need a calculator, just a few fingers. They should do the same with series points.
|
drt410
1/20/2019 6:04am
You get a thread, and you get a thread..
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
1/20/2019 6:11am
The short history shows that it turns the apple cart upside down, which is exactly what this sport needs. I wasn't too sure about the new...
The short history shows that it turns the apple cart upside down, which is exactly what this sport needs.

I wasn't too sure about the new format with 3 equal length "Mains" rather than the previous 3 different lengths. After seeing it in action, I like what we got. If the mains were longer we might have seen the usual suspects up front? Not to say the 1st 2 races didn't deliver unexpected results either, but the Triple Play increases the odds for chaos in the results which IMO is good.

I'd propose taking it a step further next year and letting each "Main" in a triple count as an individual series points round. Otherwise why are they called "Mains" and not Moto's?

The Olympic scoring is also a good thing, you don't need a calculator, just a few fingers. They should do the same with series points.
I enjoy it. Hard to be consistent three times in one night. Fun as a viewer and it’s essentially 3 hours straight of races that all count toward the championship.
KDXGarage
1/20/2019 9:09am
Absolutely no way" doing Olympic scoring for points for the night. WINNING MEANS SOMETHING!! I am all for Formula One scoring. Cruising to third a la Dungey, Reed, Stewart after someone has a DNF race has always sucked to me. There is no incentive to push forward.

I did like the three races being equal in length.

No TV time for those who did not qualify sucks.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/20/2019 9:13am
If they could add in the LCQ's it would be damn near perfect

The Shop

Johnny Depp
1/20/2019 9:41am
Winning matters, but the current points system creates riders with a fat points lead cruising around protecting it.

I don't miss the 3 digit guys, that's what the 250 class is for.
TDeath21
1/20/2019 9:43am
I just hate that the final race is a 50/50 shot of being meaningless for each rider.
kaptkaos
1/20/2019 9:47am
Winning matters, but the current points system creates riders with a fat points lead cruising around protecting it. I don't miss the 3 digit guys, that's...
Winning matters, but the current points system creates riders with a fat points lead cruising around protecting it.

I don't miss the 3 digit guys, that's what the 250 class is for.
I couldnt agree with you more!

kaptkaos
1/20/2019 9:49am
TDeath21 wrote:
I just hate that the final race is a 50/50 shot of being meaningless for each rider.
Even if this was true, which it isnt, you still got 24 +4 of good racing which is more than you get with regular format.
TDeath21
1/20/2019 9:54am
TDeath21 wrote:
kaptkaos wrote:
Even if this was true, which it isnt, you still got 24 +4 of good racing which is more than you get with regular format.
It’s 100% true
Johnny Depp
1/20/2019 9:58am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 10:00am
That last race was pretty meaningful for Anderson, and cost him dearly. You can't say it's meaningless, it's just that it's possible to "manage" it. I think we'd all rather see a different points solution to resolve that. If each main was a main in points, there would 12 regular winners, and 5x3=15 triple crown winners for 27 total wins available in a season. Chaos should ensue, perfect. Webb would have the red plate.
FlaNard
1/20/2019 10:52am
Some passing early on as with every race and then just a rider checking out most of the time (yeah Webb and Ken happened but there's a photo of the same thing at A2 with RC and Reed so it had nothing to do with the format). So just like a normal main event but without the time for fast guys with bad starts to contend and a good start means literally everything. Startercross three times a series is more than enough.
Johnny Depp
1/20/2019 11:03am
FlaNard wrote:
Some passing early on as with every race and then just a rider checking out most of the time (yeah Webb and Ken happened but there's...
Some passing early on as with every race and then just a rider checking out most of the time (yeah Webb and Ken happened but there's a photo of the same thing at A2 with RC and Reed so it had nothing to do with the format). So just like a normal main event but without the time for fast guys with bad starts to contend and a good start means literally everything. Startercross three times a series is more than enough.
IMO Ironmancross 14 times a year is too much.
Kyle_McNab
1/20/2019 11:23am
Triple crown is a success and riders don’t seem to mind it either
yz133rider
1/20/2019 11:29am
The short history shows that it turns the apple cart upside down, which is exactly what this sport needs. I wasn't too sure about the new...

Im all for it. Watching the heats is not interesting to me. Oh wow they qualified. 2 hrs later finally the mains start and u get to see all the top guys in it.

Triple crown your watching all the top guys the entire time, much like motocross... Im a fan for the points racing not gate pick in the main for 3/4 of the program.
Indy mxer
1/20/2019 11:56am

yz133rider wrote:
Im all for it. Watching the heats is not interesting to me. Oh wow they qualified. 2 hrs later finally the mains start and u get...
Im all for it. Watching the heats is not interesting to me. Oh wow they qualified. 2 hrs later finally the mains start and u get to see all the top guys in it.

Triple crown your watching all the top guys the entire time, much like motocross... Im a fan for the points racing not gate pick in the main for 3/4 of the program.
Totally agree. Well said
1/20/2019 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 1:04pm
would be better with championship points for each race ... so each race does matter
zehn
1/20/2019 1:08pm
would be better with championship points for each race ... so each race does matter
Arguably they do all matter because points are paid on your overall finish, and your overall finish is determined by your performance over the three Mains or motos or whatever you want to call them.

They all matter, just indirectly
Johnny Depp
3/3/2019 9:51am
Missed the Triple Crown in Atlanta. Sorry, but back to boring..
byke
3/3/2019 9:58am
That's a problem, because top level moto is never boring, but when people start getting Matthes-bored, it's a slippery slope to snake pits and smoke screens. Must perform at least one backflip per lap! Must ride at least one lap with your weiner exposed! Triple crown is great, but proceed with caution so that we're not catering the sport to the ADD babies out there.
Harv379
Fantasy
2029th
3/3/2019 10:10am
Missed the Triple Crown in Atlanta. Sorry, but back to boring..
Agreed, there wasn't much happening. I blame it on the track layout vs triple crown though. The rhythm lanes were meh, and there was nothing to really separate guys. If last weekends track would have been tonight we would have seen better racing I believe.
Johnny Depp
3/3/2019 10:28am
It wasn't too exciting watching Bogle win the LCQ and Alessi qualify for the main, I could do without that waste of my time. The difference between LCQ results and qualifying times is uneventful.

Holeshot to Checkers for Webb in the main, ho hum.

Post a reply to: Triple Crowns Deliver

The Latest