Triple Crown should be stages

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2018 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 4:10 PM

One gate drop for all 22 riders for first “moto”. Keep the times the same 6/8 min or maybe add 2 minutes.

Keep the Olympic scoring system.

Second and third motos progressively longer like current Triple Crown format and are single file or staggered start. Rider with lowest total points from first and then first and second motos starts in front and so on. Maybe separate them by a bike length or something.

Or, use the starting gate for all motos. First moto start like normal as stated above. For consecutive motos, have a new “smart gate” with individual gates that drop every 1/2 second or so from 1st to 22nd based on previous moto(s) scores.

This way you effectively have one long 35-40 minute race without burning the riders out and still have the excitement of one gate drop. Still allows time for commercials and filler.

Bunches the field back up each moto for excitement and to limit the chances of a runaway but still awards good starters and consistency.

Discuss...

|

1/24/2018 4:16 PM

Gimmickry knows no bounds.

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

1/24/2018 4:16 PM

why punish the ones that work the hardest in the earlier moto? 3 moto’s give three chances to get a good start, you seen what happen with a bad start, there isn’t enough time for a 12 sec delay on a start with a short main. Eli got three good starts and won the event. Anderson got one good start and came in 3rd. Cole got two good starts and came in 2nd.

|

1/24/2018 4:28 PM

jonboy688 wrote:

why punish the ones that work the hardest in the earlier moto? 3 moto’s give three chances to get a good start, you seen what happen with a bad start, there isn’t enough time for a 12 sec delay on a start with a short main. Eli got three good starts and won the event. Anderson got one good start and came in 3rd. Cole got two good starts and came in 2nd.

Hmmm...

Maybe run the longest race first so a rider with a bad start has a chance to get to the front?

|

1/24/2018 4:30 PM

Inverted start second race?

|

1/24/2018 4:31 PM

Don't fix what's not broken. 20 min + a lap works for me. Any other format takes away the excitement and intensity you get from watching and knowing that when the gate drops in the main, it's for all the marbles.

|

1/24/2018 4:33 PM

I honestly just don’t like the new format the way it is. Starts and early laps are too chaotic and unpredictable. Seems like they are trying to manufacture excitement at the expense of the racers. One of the biggest complaints from the riders about the new format was having to deal with the chaos and increased risks of multiple gate drops.

|

1/24/2018 4:34 PM

Squirrelings wrote:

Don't fix what's not broken. 20 min + a lap works for me. Any other format takes away the excitement and intensity you get from watching and knowing that when the gate drops in the main, it's for all the marbles.

I agree with this. I’d much rather keep the traditional one race format but...

|

1/24/2018 4:37 PM

A stage format would reduce the chaos and risk while still keeping the stars on the track longer like they are trying to accomplish.

|

1/24/2018 5:02 PM

Two races per class. Twenty minutes per race. Points for each race independently. Tie-breaker based on second race. Boom.

|

1/24/2018 6:09 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

Two races per class. Twenty minutes per race. Points for each race independently. Tie-breaker based on second race. Boom.

I'd even accept 2 15min + 1 lap mains to help the sprinters out.

|

1/24/2018 6:42 PM

I said I've wanted variety in other threads, but the more I think about it, I like having all the heavy hitters out there right from the get go. But, an overall Olympic scoring system is a bit of a buzz kill. Keep the same minutes per moto as A2 and It should all lead up to the last race. Winner takes all. So, here's what I got:

- 450 LCQ (4 laps)
- 250 moto1 - 1 championship point to the winner
- 450 moto1 - 1 championship point to the winner

Intermission 1

- 250 moto2 - 1 championship point to the winner
- 450 moto2 - 1 championship point to the winner

Intermission 2

Gate picks determined by moto1 and moto2 combined results
250 Main - 26 points to winner, 23 to 2nd, etc.
450 Main - 26 points to winner, 23 to 2nd, etc.

|

1/24/2018 7:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/24/2018 7:30 PM

Brownstone322 wrote:

Goofball1205 wrote:

Yeah, me too, I'm not very caught up on the length of the races. But adequate break time is a factor that I don't have figured out yet. MXGP solves this on Sundays because they have other classes, such as EMX and WMX, that people want to see. If the AMA had an additional class worthy of TV time, we'd be all set like so ...

1. 250 Class Race 1
2. 450 Class Race 1
3. "Support Class" (whatever that is) [would provide break time for the two main classes]
4. 250 Class Race 2
5. 450 Class Race 2

Again ... boom ... no gimmicks. Gimmicks suck.

|

1/24/2018 9:39 PM

3 wide rolling grid start bros...

|

1/25/2018 4:42 AM

Brownstone322 wrote:

Goofball1205 wrote:

I like the idea of 2 complete separate points paying races per event....like motocross.
15 + 1 sounds pretty solid

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior