Triple Crown points suggestion

Ok, I loved the triple crown this weekend, but it has come up before that people mail it in for the last moto, so my suggestion is;
What if each moto scored points towards the whole series
1st - 9pts maximum 27 points
2nd - 7pts maximum 21 pts
3rd - 6pts
4th - 5pts
... and so on, yes only the top 9 in each moto will score points but you can sure as hell bet that a guy will not just cruise around in 10th
People can still have a bad moto but score ok points for the night.. what do you think?
|
2/24/2019 11:50pm
Last results would have been;
Tomac - 21 points
Webb - 19 points
Reed - 12 points
Kenny - 11 points
Baggett - 12 points - due to his higher finishes in moto 1&3
wr74
2/25/2019 12:14am
I would say no to that, but totally agree a shakeup of the points for triple crown events is in order. I like the format overall, but there needs to be an incentive for the top guys to push hard in the final event.

A few suggestions I have. Any of these would be an improvement over what we have today.

A. Pay a big points bonus if you sweep the three mains. Say 10 points. No way you mail it in in the last main if your 1-1 going in.
B. Pay a points bonus to the overall winner. Instead of 26 points, give the overall winner 30 points. This wouldn’t stop the rider in a winning position cruising in the last main though.
C. Bonus points for each individual main. Let’s say 3,2,1 points bonus for the top three in each main event. That way, no way you want to cruise the last main even if you’re going to win the overall anyway. So up to a potential maximum 9 bonus points if you go 1-1-1.

I think extra points for triple crown is the way to go. The riders are doing a lot more laps here than a regular event. The guys who excel deserve to be rewarded. It would also keep the points more exciting late in the season, if they scheduled more triple crown events closer to Vegas. Riders will still be in championship contention longer if there are more points potentially available.

Crush
2/25/2019 2:49am
No points for 10th isn't feasible...

I wouldn't mind the idea if they were triple points but still only counted as one race win...
davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/25/2019 5:27am
Crush wrote:

I wouldn't mind the idea if they were triple points but still only counted as one race win...
I like this idea. I like the format, but I will say the majority of the 3rd mains have been snoozers at the halfway point when the podium guys get to a spot where they know they need to just maintain.

The Shop

aees
2/25/2019 5:59am
Just keep current point structure, but hand out bonus points. 1 Point for every race win. And if you win them all, another bonus point.

That means there is totalt 12 points extra on the line for Triple Crowns, but only 4 per race.

You cant give out to many points in one single event. Forkner for example would have gotten 4 points extra this weekend and would have been 17 ahead instead of 13 now.

Small adjustments works best.
kb228
2/25/2019 6:05am
The 3 motos should be points paying for sure. Thats how the nationals are, why arent triple crowns that way?

I dont know how youd balance it with normal races but it should be done.
Yeti365
2/25/2019 6:13am
Crush wrote:

This
MXD
2/25/2019 6:19am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 6:20am
How about just 20 for 1st, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to 1 point for 20th-22nd. If you go 1-1-1 and someone goes 2-2-2, you still only gain the traditional 3 points. But if you go 1-1-1 and someone goes 2-2-5, you can make up some ground.

I agree that all that work should net you more than the tradition championship points.

I don't have the time at the moment to figure it out but what would the points look like from this weekend under that structure?
motomike137
2/25/2019 6:25am
kb228 wrote:
The 3 motos should be points paying for sure. Thats how the nationals are, why arent triple crowns that way? I dont know how youd balance...
The 3 motos should be points paying for sure. Thats how the nationals are, why arent triple crowns that way?

Way way back in the day the nationals were scored on the overall but somewhere along the way they made them individual points per moto. I think the logic at the time may have been two fold, if a guy had a terrible first moto or dnf it would provide more incentive for them to come out in moto two and try their very hardest which also would be a win for the paying spectators. So with that logic making the three "main events" truly individual mains could have some merit.
Crush
2/25/2019 6:27am
MXD wrote:
How about just 20 for 1st, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to 1 point for 20th-22nd. If you...
How about just 20 for 1st, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to 1 point for 20th-22nd. If you go 1-1-1 and someone goes 2-2-2, you still only gain the traditional 3 points. But if you go 1-1-1 and someone goes 2-2-5, you can make up some ground.

I agree that all that work should net you more than the tradition championship points.

I don't have the time at the moment to figure it out but what would the points look like from this weekend under that structure?
You'd need to start at 22 so last place gets one but that's good too, basically the same as full points per race...

Just seems like Eli killed em in two, did three starts and 51 laps, barely eaked the win and made 3 points.... When you compare his first two mains which he handily won, and did 17 laps in each, it seems a bit rough not paying them more towards the title.
MXD
2/25/2019 6:37am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 6:42am
MXD wrote:
How about just 20 for 1st, 19 for 2nd, 18 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to 1 point for 20th-22nd. If you...

Crush wrote:
You'd need to start at 22 so last place gets one but that's good too, basically the same as full points per race... Just seems like...
You'd need to start at 22 so last place gets one but that's good too, basically the same as full points per race...

Just seems like Eli killed em in two, did three starts and 51 laps, barely eaked the win and made 3 points.... When you compare his first two mains which he handily won, and did 17 laps in each, it seems a bit rough not paying them more towards the title.
I figured 20-22 getting 1 point each. I thought 1 point of separation between all places eliminates the possibility of falling 9 points behind for going 2-2-2 but punishes you if you have a real bad moto or lay up to protect the overall win.

If you do the math, it looks like this:

ET - 55
CW - 54
KR - 47
MM - 46

In this scenario, ET would have only made up 1 point on Cooper but maybe that would have incentivised him to keep charging at the end of moto 3. If he got up to 3rd, he would have made up 4 points. KR loses 7 to Coop and MM loses 8. That sounds about right based on the night they all had. You might think it's not fair for ET to win and only gain 1 but again, he had a poor showing in moto 3.
aees
2/25/2019 6:58am
kb228 wrote:
The 3 motos should be points paying for sure. Thats how the nationals are, why arent triple crowns that way? I dont know how youd balance...

Because one night sick or temp injury or whatever, you might lose out 50-75 points. It is game over.

You could raise each SX to give 78p for win, and then splitt it 26+26+26 for when it is triple crown.

I only see two solutions. Give out bonus points and leave current point system as is. Or up the numbers so you can still give 1 point+ for every position from 22 and up to 4th.
Crush
2/25/2019 7:01am
MXD wrote:
I figured 20-22 getting 1 point each. I thought 1 point of separation between all places eliminates the possibility of falling 9 points behind for going...
I figured 20-22 getting 1 point each. I thought 1 point of separation between all places eliminates the possibility of falling 9 points behind for going 2-2-2 but punishes you if you have a real bad moto or lay up to protect the overall win.

If you do the math, it looks like this:

ET - 55
CW - 54
KR - 47
MM - 46

In this scenario, ET would have only made up 1 point on Cooper but maybe that would have incentivised him to keep charging at the end of moto 3. If he got up to 3rd, he would have made up 4 points. KR loses 7 to Coop and MM loses 8. That sounds about right based on the night they all had. You might think it's not fair for ET to win and only gain 1 but again, he had a poor showing in moto 3.
The only thing is the incentivised part... I think the guys try as hard as they can for the most part. I'm sure Eli wasn't laying up, or at the very least he would have known what he needed and got to that point I guess...

It's hard too because it depends how you view SX. Confidence plays such a big role that we often have runaways even when the main competition is perhaps a win away from their own streak... so you can view and justify bigger/smaller points gaps good or bad quite easily.

Post a reply to: Triple Crown points suggestion

The Latest