Triple Crown idea

Related:
Create New Tag

3/4/2018 9:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2018 9:06 AM

So I really dig the triple crown format, but I do have an idea to spice it up a little bit more. I think they should offer a bonus point to the winner of each main. And if a rider wins all 3 mains they get a bonus of 5 points total. To me, seeing Ando ride around last night, knowing he had it in the bag was perhaps the only bad thing I could notice about this format. I think if there were some more points on the line, we may see a little more urgency from some of the guys to leave it all out there.

|

Official member of the ElHombre fan club

Team MooseCAN

Deano2021

3/4/2018 9:12 AM

The sport is dangerous and a championship is the ultimate goal. Rider will always lay up and play it safe for the bigger picture, this will happen whether its a normal one main night or a three main night. A 5 point bonus wouldn't have made any difference once a different rider has won each of the first two races.

|

3/4/2018 9:51 AM

A cool million for the winner of all 3... Wait a sec?

|

3/4/2018 10:02 AM

Still gets boring after about 5 laps. There needs to be incentive to avoid follow the leader. I watched all 6 races on FF.

|

3/4/2018 10:10 AM

Best thing they could do with the tripple clown is drop the idea. If they want multable races go to two 20 minute mains which would be about 15 laps. As it stands now the third race is a manage your score race.

|

3/4/2018 10:46 AM

Mit12 wrote:

Best thing they could do with the tripple clown is drop the idea. If they want multable races go to two 20 minute mains which ...more

Two 20 minute mains would be around 21-24 laps each depending on the track...

|

3/4/2018 10:51 AM

The in stadium announcer said, "I LOVE THIS NEW FORMAT", so my idea for the triple crown is for all of us to get used to it, as it will be back for more.

|

3/4/2018 10:58 AM

Should we change the name to monster energy cup series will we're at it as well.

|

3/4/2018 12:57 PM

Brett_Clark wrote:

Lap times have been in the 45 to 52 seconds. When we were having 20 minute mains they were averaging 15 to 16 laps.

|

3/4/2018 1:10 PM

Mit12 wrote:

Best thing they could do with the tripple clown is drop the idea. If they want multable races go to two 20 minute mains which ...more

Brett_Clark wrote:

Mit12 wrote:

Lap times have been in the 45 to 52 seconds. When we were having 20 minute mains they were averaging 15 to 16 laps.

Math, just make it up!

|

3/4/2018 1:57 PM

I don’t think they should have changed the way races are run. Since they did though, here’s how Triple Crowns should be.

First moto. 22 riders, obviously from the highest qualified in timed qualifying like they do now. 5 minutes plus a lap. Short I know. But there’s a twist here. Top 10 automatically into moto 2. Remaining 12 go back to the line following a 10 minute break.

Here we will have 12 on the line and this race is also 5 minutes plus a lap. Top 5 of this race go on into moto 2. Sprint car fans know where this is headed I’m sure.

Now our field in moto 2 is set. The 7 riders who failed to advance to the second moto will be given points the same as any normal race in positions 16-22 based on their finish position of moto 1.

Second moto. 15 riders. 10 minutes plus a lap. Top 5 automatically into moto 3. The remaining 10 will line up following a 10 minute break.

This race is once again 5 minutes plus a lap and we will take the top 5 into the 3rd and final moto. Those not advancing to the final moto will be awarded points for places 11-15 based on their finish positions of the second moto.

Now we are down to 10 for the third moto. 15 minutes plus a lap. Finishing positions here are your final finishing positions for the night. No combining scores. This moto is where it matters and where points are paid for these top 10 riders.

This format means any given rider would spend a maximum of 40 minutes plus 5 laps on the race track. If a rider rode the heat race, semi, lcq, then the main event like many did last season, it would be very close to the same amount of track time. As for those top tier riders who will most likely qualify directly in normal races, they will spend about the same amount of time on the track as well. Probably slightly more than a normal race.

It would remove lappers from the equation for the most part. In the final moto where the best 10 riders of the night are lining up, there would be at most 1 or 2 lappers.

This would allow the top guys to battle it out in the final moto as well. Remember how excited we all get when all the top guys start in the top 5? Well ... think about it.

A bracket style format would also be a great new change in the sport, only for select races of course. Yet you still have that lcq of sorts after the 1st and 2nd motos to still make the final show.

Taking only the top 5 from that second moto would also give us some great racing for that 5th spot. Remember the great racing last year in the heats for that 4th spot? Well ... here you have it.

Some might not like it for one reason or another. Only 10 riders on the gate might seem lame for some. The whole format in general might be a turn off for others. As I said, only for select races and only because they’ve already decided to change things already. I already stated that I’m in favor of the normal format for all 17 races.

|

3/4/2018 2:06 PM

Andy_Greenney wrote:

The sport is dangerous and a championship is the ultimate goal. Rider will always lay up and play it safe for the bigger ...more

In the middle of the series?
Try again. That was lame and the last main sucked because of it.
If keeping the format, the bonus point(s) is not a bad idea.

|

Instagram - @MxCulture

3/4/2018 5:00 PM

Mit12 wrote:

Brett_Clark wrote:

Mit12 wrote:

Wow....

|

3/4/2018 5:19 PM

hartebreak wrote:

So I really dig the triple crown format, but I do have an idea to spice it up a little bit more. I think they should offer a ...more

i think a bonus point for a moto win is good. but i think it should instead be two short mains 12min each with night qualifiers

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

3/5/2018 8:14 AM

Mit12 wrote:

Brett_Clark wrote:

Mit12 wrote:

Do you even math bro?

|