Tricks of the Trade: Tires

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2010 9:56 AM

Lets hear some of your favorite tips and tricks for anything tire related..

|

12/17/2010 10:44 AM

rubber side down!

|

12/17/2010 10:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2010 11:34 PM

Pay somebody else to change your tires.

|

Bret Bonham

12/17/2010 11:34 AM

IT'S ONLY FLAT AT THE BOTTOM

|

12/17/2010 11:36 AM

Make sure to check your tire pressure at the beginning of each season.

|

12/17/2010 12:07 PM

Forgetting to tighten your rim locks can really screw up your day.

|

Thanks to FLY Racing.

12/17/2010 12:16 PM

250f's, run a 110/80/19.

|

12/17/2010 12:29 PM

Torco1 wrote:

250f's, run a 110/80/19.

Isn't there a team runnin' 120/80s on there 250s...?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/17/2010 12:34 PM

Torco1 wrote:

250f's, run a 110/80/19.

TeamGreen wrote:

Probably, those crazy kids will do anything these days.

|

12/17/2010 6:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2010 6:42 PM

The trickest thing going tire related and the ultimate in traction control Nuetech TUbliss

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

12/17/2010 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2010 6:49 PM

Nuetech TUbliss Link

You can run much lower tire pressures with the TUbliss
|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

12/17/2010 6:46 PM

The Rock wrote: Nuetech TUbliss Link

That is cool Rock.
Have you had a chance to ride with these?
They sound great.

"TUbliss® also provides a weight savings of up to 3 pounds per wheel which instantly translates into less rotating weight and increases acceleration. Less unsprung weight allows significant suspension performance gains. "

|

12/17/2010 6:47 PM

Don't you go where the Huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow.

|

12/17/2010 9:11 PM

Put studs in them.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Scottish. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Scotsman!

12/17/2010 11:33 PM

The Rock wrote: Nuetech TUbliss Link

FastEddy wrote:

That is cool Rock.
Have you had a chance to ride with these?
They sound great.

"TUbliss® also provides a weight savings of up to 3 pounds per wheel which instantly translates into less rotating weight and increases acceleration. Less unsprung weight allows significant suspension performance gains. "

Both of my project bikes had TUbliss but I only rode the Stealth Pro with them. I'm a fan of them and another cool thing is after initial installation you leave them on when you change tires so THERE IS NO TUBE BS when you get a new tire.

I hooked Chuck Sun up with them and then later Danny LaPorte. Both of them loved it and Chuck kicked himself for not running them in 09 at the Vet World as he got a flat.

BTW, Jeff Douglas owns Nuetech and is a former BMX guy. As a result of his BMX experience he produced the Arm Pump Eliminator kits that consist of a different throttle tube and bar insert for the clutch side.

|

Michel Petrucciani

12/17/2010 11:39 PM

ridden with them and actually have em off the bike..........they're ok, not a huge difference really......feels real similar

|

12/17/2010 11:40 PM

TerryK wrote:

Put studs in them.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

how?? what are those things screws?

|

12/17/2010 11:54 PM

I've never seen the TUbliss system before but I have to say I'm impressed and intrigued. Very cool.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Scottish. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Scotsman!

12/17/2010 11:56 PM

FIREfish148 wrote:

how?? what are those things screws?

Yes. Very special screws. You can't buy these gold ones however, you have to buy the whole tire already done up. Traction is like you've never experienced on dirt or pavement, let alone ice.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

12/18/2010 5:19 AM

TerryK wrote:

Put studs in them.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

How would those work on dirt?

|

12/18/2010 5:51 AM

TerryK wrote:

Put studs in them.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Nothing like seeing a fresh profiled tire ready for the ice... But that is way too much hook-up for me, is it even possible to break the bike loose with that tire TK?

|

12/18/2010 7:01 AM

ebers wrote:

Nothing like seeing a fresh profiled tire ready for the ice... But that is way too much hook-up for me, is it even possible to break the bike loose with that tire TK?

Only the very fastest guys can break traction, and even then they it will usually come back in a split second. It's really something you have to experience. The harder you ride, the better they work.

We are trying to have classes where these tires are not allowed so we can bring back the "back it in and slide" style of racing flat track but it seems guys just really dig outrageously fast.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

12/18/2010 7:02 AM

uk125250 wrote:

How would those work on dirt?

lol, they would be ridiculous.....until they got dull in a few minutes.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

12/18/2010 8:17 AM

For the unlucky among us who live in places that are cold this time of year (I'm old so cold is not my friend anymore) if you need to change a tire and yer garage isn't the warmest...I run a bathtub full of hot water and let the new tire soak for about 15 mins. Dry her off and quick like a bunny get her on the rim. I bleed and cuss a lot less using this method.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

12/18/2010 8:24 AM

Torco1 wrote:

250f's, run a 110/80/19.

TeamGreen wrote:

Yes, Geico runs the 120 rears in SX. I'm not sure about outdoors though.

|

12/18/2010 8:26 AM

plowboy wrote:

For the unlucky among us who live in places that are cold this time of year (I'm old so cold is not my friend anymore) if you need to change a tire and yer garage isn't the warmest...I run a bathtub full of hot water and let the new tire soak for about 15 mins. Dry her off and quick like a bunny get her on the rim. I bleed and cuss a lot less using this method.

Hey thats a good idea! In summer I always lay my new tires in the hot sun for a half hour. Works great.

Unfortunately with these ice race tires, they are so stiff that warming them up doesn't make much of a difference. The screws are 1.5 inches long so there is a "liner" inside made from an old street bike tire with the screws going through the knobby and into the liner. This makes for a VERY stiff tire with almost no flex. A real bear to mount lol.

We use a few pairs of Vice Grips, 2 tire irons and lots of tire lube. It takes about 20 minutes to mount a new tire if you are good at it!

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]

12/18/2010 11:09 AM

I have a friend that can remove a wheel from the bike,change A rear tire and put it back on the bike and ride in under 10 minutes. His best ever was just over seven minutes.
One day he proved it to Gavin Gracyk's mechanic (Dave derosia) and did it in the 7 minutes.
I will try to get some pics of the tool he uses and how he does it.

|

12/18/2010 11:25 AM

Fournier. That's all I really need to say.smile

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

The opinions expressed here are possibly not even those of the contributor.

12/18/2010 11:28 AM

Torco1 wrote:

250f's, run a 110/80/19.

TeamGreen wrote:

Do you like to lose 3HP by runnning a 120?

|

12/18/2010 11:28 AM

RACEGUY wrote:

Fournier. That's all I really need to say.smile

[LINK TO IMAGE]

That's who makes the tires I pictured. The gold colored screws are the newest design and are superior to the old silver slotted design.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]