Trey Canard to miss the remainder of the 2017 Supercross season...

MX-LIFE.
3/31/2017 10:39am
rrjr wrote:
Sad Epstein Barr strikes again Sad Do these guys all drink out of the same glass?

Get well soon #41
I was reading the article and didn't see anything stating he had this.. and by the way what is Epstein Barr? Seems Moto is the only sport I've ever heard of any athletes getting this is it something in the water or the supplements these guys take? I bet these guys contracts would be a interesting read,I'm sure is still receiving some kind of salary even off the bike!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
3/31/2017 10:40am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 10:44am
So,

Everyone talks about Epstein-Barr like it's unknown, but it's not. Mostly everyone calls it Mono or Mononucleosis. You've probably had chicken pox, but nobody called it varicella zoster which is the name of the virus. Mononucleosis is acute Epstein-Barr -- it's just the symptoms that arrive when your immune system is fighting an initial infection or a flare up when your immune system is compromised, just like chicken pox is acute vericella.

If you've ever been infected with Epstein-Barr, you carry the virus and antibodies for it for the rest of your life. It's a type of provirus, just like vericella or other herpes viruses, you just don't have acute symptoms all the time. Typically Epstein-Barr is the term used for people in their adult lives as opposed to Mononucleosis for teens because the symptoms can be so different depending on your age at acute infection. If you get mono as a little kid, you pretty much just get a head cold. As a teen you get a whole rash of symptoms and as a young adult you mostly get fatigue and malaise.

I think there's two things that can be happening with Epstein Barr in moto.

1. A lot of racers are home schooled and as such spend limited time around other kids who have the virus. A lot of people call it the kissing disease because kids get it from making out, but you'd be grossed out if you really knew how much contact kids have with each other's saliva in school. Sharing food, sneezing, coughing, chewing gum stuck to chairs, spit in water fountains -- the list is endless. A lot of racers don't spend enough time in these densely populated environments to get the virus as teens and it randomly hits them as adults. Who knows where from, but its a widespread virus so that doesn't really matter.

2. Anyone who has ever had the virus can test positive for it afterwards. Typically they test for the antibodies and if the count is high enough, they call it the acute version (mono). However, you can still test positive years later for EBV, even if you're not experiencing an acute infection. What could be happening pretty often is that these racers get some sort of weird transient virus, mental depression or just burn out for awhile and they test their blood and find EVB so just attribute it to that.

Also, think a little bit about the epidemiology for EVB/mono. We rarely hear about players on team sports getting it, but the amatuer ranks for team sports pretty much require you to be in very close proximity of a bunch of people the same age as you. Basketball, football, soccer, etc. People who make it to the pro ranks in these sports probably aren't sidelined with mono as pros because they were exposed to EBV as teens or children. Meanwhile, pro athletes in solo sports report issues with the illness more often. For example, Roger Federer, probably the greatest tennis player in history, had what amounted to an entire year at the peak of his professional career wiped out by EVB (reported as mono). A number of olympic athletes have had issues with it too. These cases are often underreported as the olympics only happen every four years so as long as it doesn't hit you during or in the months prior to the games, you just rest and get on with training later.

There's some conjecture here, but I've done a significant amount of research on the topic after I got mono at around 25 years old. Please correct me if you know more.

FI2T
3/31/2017 10:54am
Damn a few douchers on here.... Hope Trey gets better quick.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
3/31/2017 11:37am
huck wrote:
Eat a dick. You know nothing of the costs of having Trey not race. Do you think they stop paying him? Do you think they're gonna...
Eat a dick. You know nothing of the costs of having Trey not race. Do you think they stop paying him? Do you think they're gonna save a dime by not have his bike in the hauler with the others.

You're a troll and should go away. Maybe your next user name will be better. But doubtful.
rutcross wrote:
Whoa man....I'm sorry....I guess
Were you the guy that said racers aren't athletes, or are you the guy that was a chiropractor, or the single to table guy, or the pizza delivery guy, or the 2 stroke nazi guy?

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
3/31/2017 12:33pm
tobz wrote:
All apart of the big guys plan...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
This made me laugh.
JM485 wrote:
Edit: Never mind, over the line for me and these idiots aren't worth the time of day.
I just saw the message you wrote earlier. Listen I'm not going to defend my post as to why I find it funny because I know where these things go and I don't want to get clipped. If you can't see the humor in his post that's your problem not mine.

As for Trey...it sucks that he's out but it might be time for him to call it a career. Take it from me there's more to life than dirt bikes.

HenryA
3/31/2017 12:45pm
TheGetFresh: Very good post! I got Mononucleosis when I was 14, not the best time of my life...
JustMX
3/31/2017 2:29pm
JM485 wrote:
The ironic novel that called you out for what you are? Tell me how it's ironic to call out an Internet tough guy for what he...
The ironic novel that called you out for what you are? Tell me how it's ironic to call out an Internet tough guy for what he is, saying things he would never say in person because he knows he'd get smacked back into yesterday when the wrong person overhears. I'll be honest, I'm not the guy to ever start conflict, but if you said that in person at a race you know damn well someone who overhears wouldn't think it was as funny as you did. So tell me, why post that stuff on here?
So if the wrong professed Christian heard him say that he risks assualt?

Now that is ironic

I hate that one of the most genuinely good guys in moto has had such a rough time, including this latest issue.

Hope he has a speedy recovery and can be the contender he has the ability to be in the mx series.
brimx153
3/31/2017 2:33pm
sam hain wrote:
I like Trey but he needs to hang up the boots. Has he ever finished a season since moving to the 450's? I mean Honda was...
I like Trey but he needs to hang up the boots. Has he ever finished a season since moving to the 450's? I mean Honda was nice to have kept him around as long as they did. KTM should have passed on him and picked up Dean cheap before sx ever started.
Cause Dean never misses races .
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
3/31/2017 5:02pm
sam hain wrote:
I like Trey but he needs to hang up the boots. Has he ever finished a season since moving to the 450's? I mean Honda was...
I like Trey but he needs to hang up the boots. Has he ever finished a season since moving to the 450's? I mean Honda was nice to have kept him around as long as they did. KTM should have passed on him and picked up Dean cheap before sx ever started.
brimx153 wrote:
Cause Dean never misses races .
Now that's funny
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
3/31/2017 7:06pm
HenryA wrote:
TheGetFresh: Very good post! I got Mononucleosis when I was 14, not the best time of my life...
Right on, thanks man!
JMR1976
3/31/2017 8:54pm
JM485 wrote:
The ironic novel that called you out for what you are? Tell me how it's ironic to call out an Internet tough guy for what he...
The ironic novel that called you out for what you are? Tell me how it's ironic to call out an Internet tough guy for what he is, saying things he would never say in person because he knows he'd get smacked back into yesterday when the wrong person overhears. I'll be honest, I'm not the guy to ever start conflict, but if you said that in person at a race you know damn well someone who overhears wouldn't think it was as funny as you did. So tell me, why post that stuff on here?
JustMX wrote:
So if the wrong professed Christian heard him say that he risks assualt? Now that is ironic I hate that one of the most genuinely good...
So if the wrong professed Christian heard him say that he risks assualt?

Now that is ironic

I hate that one of the most genuinely good guys in moto has had such a rough time, including this latest issue.

Hope he has a speedy recovery and can be the contender he has the ability to be in the mx series.
My brother doesn't stand or remove his hat for God bless America at events. Usually ends up with someone giving him shit and threats. Either way it be nice to have another guy going for race wins.
philG
4/1/2017 3:00am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2017 3:24am
Signing him over Wilson, was plain dumb IMO... i get that Deano has been out injured , but does that make him more of a risk than AC over at ProCircuit.. no it doesnt. Canards injuries are usually wreck related, and he has made some pretty dumb decisions along the way (like the Reed incident) , and will surely make some more.

Wilson now looks solid, and if he stays fit for outdoors, is a good podium bet, especially as the wind looks like it has gone out of Anderson's sails so far this season.

Post a reply to: Trey Canard to miss the remainder of the 2017 Supercross season...

The Latest