Traxxas RC car - Picking the right one

tobz
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:35pm
I really digged the Traxxas segment of one of the races on CBS, and think it's cool that they're supporting our sport, so i'm pretty keen to pick one up. Only problem is, there's so many of them!

Leaning towards electric.

The model that looks as though it will handle most of everything that i'll throw at it will probably be the slash (but there's 4 models of them!).

Has anyone got any opinions with differences between 4wd and 2wd? Obviously in R/L the 4wd will handle better, but what's the advantage of a 2wd in a remote control car?

I'm kind of thinking that while i'm spending the dough, i might aswell go for the Slash Ultimate? http://traxxas.com/...6807slash4X4ultimate

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun to take out to bmx/50 tracks. Anyone else have any experience with Traxxas?
|
peelout
2/2/2011 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 3:09pm
in my experience, i would go electric.

i like to play with shit and have instant fun, not work on shit and have to do regular maintenance. i had a gas 4wd car a few years ago and i'll never own another. couldn't get that bitch to run decent for more than 2 minutes at a time. not to mention that with every 20 minutes that it ran, i had at least an hour of maintenance.

then again i have friends that will never buy anything BUT gas.

electric cars are the shit for pick up and go. that's my style.

sorry, i posted before i read yours. Traxxas trucks are sweet, i like the buggy/car style myself but the trucks are a lot of fun. i have no input on the Traxxas models though..
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
2/2/2011 3:05pm
Get 4wd, its so much better. I have a 1/16 e-revo vxl and a 2wd slash and even though the slash is double the size the mini erevo will go places the slash will get stuck.

Barrett57
2/2/2011 3:10pm
i had a t-maxx, 2.5 nitro

the thing was literally indestructable and super fast,

i drove it into a wall flat out and it just put a bit of a dent in it.
i rolled it countless times and the thing would finish rolling and still be running.

its just a pain to start but im sure you wouldnt have that problem with an electric car.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
2/2/2011 3:12pm
Barrett57 wrote:
i had a t-maxx, 2.5 nitro the thing was literally indestructable and super fast, i drove it into a wall flat out and it just put...

i rolled it countless times and the thing would finish rolling and still be running.

its just a pain to start but im sure you wouldnt have that problem with an electric car.
yup, i had a tmaxx 2.5.

i ended up converting it into an emaxx because it was a bitch to start and tune.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/2/2011 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 3:17pm
I have a 3.3 nitro pro slayer 4x4 . Dont have to work on it and after a short easy break in it is ready to go. Traxxas Nitros run and start with no problems and I think it is way better than electric. I have had both and Traxxas made Nitro easy and trouble free and nitros sound badass when they shift into high gear. I also had two nitro rustlers and they were great, the EZ electric start system made them a snap to fire up
ReedyMX
2/2/2011 3:18pm
I have a traxxas Bandit VXL.
These are cheap and have the same motor combo as the slash etc but are lighter. They are rated as the fastest off road vehicle on traxxas web site.

I changed the gearing and put in a 11.1 volt lipo battery. It will wheelstand all the time and and flip at high speed.

It will not have the control or stabilty as the 4x4 slash.

I want something that is hard to control spin out wheelies etc it is all part of the fun rather than something that sticks to the ground like glue.

Also the car does not break it is awesome
SMITH201
2/2/2011 3:18pm
If you want the best RC stadium truck on the market, get the Team Associated SC8e
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/SC8e/SC8e_Brushless/

If you plan to race though you might wanna go with a 1/10 scale or smaller. Some tracks wont let you race the bigger cars. 2WD are more fun to race and you cant go wrong with Traxxas Slash, HPI Blitz or Team Associated SC.
Barrett57
2/2/2011 3:19pm
mxrider225 wrote:
yup, i had a tmaxx 2.5.

i ended up converting it into an emaxx because it was a bitch to start and tune.
i always found that sometimes it would just start,
then other times youd have to prat about for ages to get it to start, bit like a 250f.
it was a good car though,
2/2/2011 3:19pm
Barrett57 wrote:
i had a t-maxx, 2.5 nitro the thing was literally indestructable and super fast, i drove it into a wall flat out and it just put...

The Slash is the same way, my 5 year old cousin is my uncle's RC car prodigy and he can wring the thing out and bring it back in one piece. Traxxas really has come far int he last few years, from reputation to quality, and the parts will become even more widely available in the US at places like Pep Boys.

Grab a Slash, a Li-Po battery pack or two, and have at it. Electric isn't the same headache as it was a few years back now that things have gone brushless, and performance is unreal when you get the motor and battery set up right.

But if you want to have the top of the line in short-course RC trucks and race, I'd recommend a Jammin'.
circus
2/2/2011 3:21pm
What are you looking to do with it? Bash it or go to a track and race it? For bashing nothing beats a Slash, i have the 2wd and ive gone through water and have no problems with the electrics, mainly because they are waterproof. If your looking to go to a track with it, good luck running with an SC10. After spending roughly $400 on the Slash attempting to get it to handle like an SC10, I finally just bought an SC10 and was amazed at how much better the handling was. Thats been my experience anyways.
SMITH201
2/2/2011 3:25pm
Electric is now just as competitive as gas. Not only that, but you dont have to do all the maintenance as you would with the motor. Electric is plug in and go, gas you have to maintain like a 2 stroke.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
2/2/2011 3:33pm
Definitely electric.

From the sound of it you really only have 2 choices that are for sure going to put a smile on your face every time:

E-Revo (have one, wouldn't trade it for anything else)
Summit (more versatile than the E-Revo with the 2 speed transfer case and rock crawling mode, which is sick once you try it) but you can still thrash it like a Revo)

Anything else and you'll be limited to certain types of terrain or conditions to have fun.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/2/2011 3:52pm
My buddies are crazy for that stuff and they all had the Slash and now they all have the RC10. Nitro is almost obsolete with the lipo electric stadium trucks. I had the ultra lx pro nitro 4wd and it was awesome but 6 of us had them and they were so finicky and only lasted a short run. These lipo cars will run a long time and are indestructible. My friends run till like 3 in the morning every weds and Saturday with no complaints and a cop lives right next door.

Here is the nitro:

Here is the electric, the white one is rc10 the other 2 are traxxas:

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/2/2011 3:58pm
Jeremy Shuttleworth lives right across the street from these guys and says he never hears them.
MCfan4life
2/2/2011 4:03pm
Anybody know if shells like these are available to the public pre-painted or are they custom paint jobs?

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/2/2011 4:15pm
I think they are available.
gt80rider
2/2/2011 4:23pm
you can get a pretty uber Kawasaki paint job on the Slash 2wd.... and you can buy it from a moto dealer, you don't have to find a "hobby shop".... http://www.bigsquidrc.com/traxxas-slash-kawasaki-edition/

Associated had a licensed Red Bull body for their SC8, but it's been disco'd.... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVWB1&P=M

Losi has an Rockstar body for their high end 2wd SCT..... http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB8085

if you have one custom painted... the clear body typically runs around $45.... and most custom painters charge around $40-$100 to spray something decent on there.... JConcepts has the trickest looking bodies for short course (IMO) right now....

as far as the original question goes...... if you are looking for fun, something durable and easily affordable.... and if you've never owned a hobby grade rc car before, buy the Traxxas 2wd Slash.... very durable, not too fast so you can learn the in's and out's of driving, and won't break your bank...... http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/trac43.html

if you are looking for the most fun- that'd be the brushless E-Revo..... that's what Wey and Viera were driving on last weeks show..... http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/trad03.html ....... and E-Revo on 6S is just plain insane.... the larger tires of the E-Revo make it much easier to drive in your backyard or on a moto track compared to pretty much anything else....

if you aren't feeling the love for the E-Revo, the Slash 4x4 is also a very durable truck and a big step up from the Slash 2wd..... the biggest downfall of the Slash 4x4 (or any SC truck) is that even a small amount of wind makes them incredibly hard to jump..... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYNB0**
bauman117
2/2/2011 4:39pm
i have been in and out of r/c three times in the last 10 years..i did the 10th scale nitro craze 5 years ago or so but there is so much maitanance involved and even more tuning to keep the things from toasting themselvs....If you plan on racing the car or even just goin to the track for fun the "short course" trucks are the hott thing and the begginer short course 2wd n 4wd classes are alot of fun cause there are people just out there to have fun..i have a slash 4x4 that started out as a rtr (ready to run)..you wont like the battery that comes with it so invest in a few 2cell lipos (they are as fast as the truck can handle and go straight ) 3 cell lipos are fun for shock& awe factor if you wanna impress some people out front of the house but eventutally u will start melting motors/electonics..ohh it looks like ur already onto the slash ultimate..good choice..i ended up buying almost all the trick parts that it comes with to make my rtr a litttle more legit..here is my #1 word of advise for the slash 4x4..buy the drive train bearings ahead of time and keep a real close eye on the center diff bearing.,they go bad quickly and when they get heated up it can warp the whole carrier(been thru it).the only bad part of the 4x4 is they throw a ton of small rocks/mud / debris front the front wheels roost into the body..the dirt has a way of finding its way into the drive shafts and diffs..alot of guys are mocking up roost deflectors..here is a pic of mine(freshly dirty from track)

Photobucket

Photobucket
u can put associated sc8 body on it of you wanna confuse people..looks differnt
see the ghetto plexiglass homemade roost deflector ahahah..u can see the roost defelctors in the wheel well

Photobucket
Photobucket
standard body(s) ..

soo much fun tho..stick with electric..and enjoyyyyy
bauman117
2/2/2011 4:50pm
MCfan4life wrote:
Anybody know if shells like these are available to the public pre-painted or are they custom paint jobs? [img]https://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/painting-designs-graphics-photography/555655d1266259995-monster-energy-paint-jobs-photo10.jpg[/img] [img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4407173830_83eff31d8b.jpg[/img] [img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Q0d0SgSqECs/Sjq2PuYNK5I/AAAAAAAAAn4/vCpUQs-Pnxo/s400/rockstar8.jpg[/img] [img]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6797/traxxas.jpg[/img]
Anybody know if shells like these are available to the public pre-painted or are they custom paint jobs?

these body look legit...one good and bad thing about the slash is when it crashes the body takes nearly all the impact.Good cause it protect a-arms,bad cause the bodys break with abuse..if you drive the car hard you will go thru bodies..usually it the back end that breaks at the pin holes..BUT i have found that its super gratifying to come up with ur own paint schemes..stock up on moto stickers for em..or u can buy monster or rockstar sticker sheet for a dirtbike at local mx stores and slap em on accordingly..then again ..there are failures in the process of gettin good at painting them..Ive failed misserably beforeDry
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/2/2011 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 4:53pm
I also have the 2wd rc10 4.1 and it is twice as hard to control as the 4 wd's. The 4wd grip the ground and handle great. If you chop the throttle on and off on the 2wd the front wheels get real light and you can not steer. You really have to finess the 2wd. i did put the upgraded tranny and bearing in.
bauman117
2/2/2011 4:57pm
FLmxer wrote:
I also have the 2wd rc10 4.1 and it is twice as hard to control as the 4 wd's. The 4wd grip the ground and handle...
I also have the 2wd rc10 4.1 and it is twice as hard to control as the 4 wd's. The 4wd grip the ground and handle great. If you chop the throttle on and off on the 2wd the front wheels get real light and you can not steer. You really have to finess the 2wd. i did put the upgraded tranny and bearing in.
u nailed it....4x4 is way better for a begginer..the truck feels like it wants to go straght as opposed to a 2wd that is really hard to keep from spining..there are guys goin fast with 2wd but its tough
tobz
2/2/2011 5:04pm
Thanks, the slash 4wd ultimate sounds like a go-er. The team associated ones look good also.

Should i purchase it straight from traxxas? or is there a hobby shop in the u.s that would deliver to Aus with minimal fuss?

I dont think there's much of a racing community around here, just mucking around in the backyard and mx/bmx tracks.
bauman117
2/2/2011 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 5:32pm
tobz wrote:
Thanks, the slash 4wd ultimate sounds like a go-er. The team associated ones look good also. Should i purchase it straight from traxxas? or is there...
Thanks, the slash 4wd ultimate sounds like a go-er. The team associated ones look good also.

Should i purchase it straight from traxxas? or is there a hobby shop in the u.s that would deliver to Aus with minimal fuss?

I dont think there's much of a racing community around here, just mucking around in the backyard and mx/bmx tracks.
your gonna like that slash4x4 ultimate...im kinda of a "basher" (or as u put it..mucking around') my self.The track is alot of fun tho.But to some people(at the tracK) its too serious, and they snicker at kooks like me and that can be a turn off..but i guess thats true with any sport.ive launched mine off huge bmx dirt jumps and been kinda rough and the damn thing really can take some punishment..but if your driving in a feild,,make some roost deflectors..Wink oh i put plexi glass earlier..brain fart..its 8x10 lexan sheeets available at hobies stores u cut down to the shape that fills in wheel wells void best..then affix it with a few small screws to the egde lip on the chasis
wownd out
2/2/2011 5:32pm
If your just looking for a RTR ready to run, then Traxxas isn't bad, but if you want to race you want a kit like a Losi, Associated, Tamaiya, etc, and definitly go with electric if your new, nitro cars can be a real pain!
JLong
2/2/2011 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 6:05pm
Get:

TRAXXAS Platinum Slash (4x4)- complete minus controller- get the one of your choice. I run a Futaba. Slash is by far the most durable on the market. The Platinum and Ultimate are the same truck, but the Ultimate comes with TRAXXAS' "ok" controller.

LiPo batteries- expensive but will run about 25 mins with little to no drop in power.

You'll spend about $900-$950 for truck, controller, charger, and batteries, but you won't be upgrading in a month.

Once you've learned some throttle control, search "Steve Slayden Slash Set Up" and spend a few hours dialing it in to these specs. The Slash is pretty much competitive with any other 1/10 scale truck with this set up. If you just want to bash, get the regular Slash 4x4.

Trent179
2/2/2011 6:21pm
Slash ultimate would be a wise choice. I used to have a nitro rustler, that was a pretty solid truck as well. I love the nitro engines, you can't beat the sound and smell!

I'm rocking a losi ten t right now. I put a lil track in my back yard as well. My wife thinks im nuts.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
BobbyM
2/2/2011 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2011 6:30pm
tobz wrote:
I really digged the Traxxas segment of one of the races on CBS, and think it's cool that they're supporting our sport, so i'm pretty keen...
I really digged the Traxxas segment of one of the races on CBS, and think it's cool that they're supporting our sport, so i'm pretty keen to pick one up. Only problem is, there's so many of them!

Leaning towards electric.

The model that looks as though it will handle most of everything that i'll throw at it will probably be the slash (but there's 4 models of them!).

Has anyone got any opinions with differences between 4wd and 2wd? Obviously in R/L the 4wd will handle better, but what's the advantage of a 2wd in a remote control car?

I'm kind of thinking that while i'm spending the dough, i might aswell go for the Slash Ultimate? http://traxxas.com/...6807slash4X4ultimate

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun to take out to bmx/50 tracks. Anyone else have any experience with Traxxas?
like the szchwinn whirlomasterdyne they'll she'll sit....in the corner
mx757
2/2/2011 6:47pm
If you have to go traxxas and electric I would suggest the E-revo VXL. They are more capable of getting over stuff than the slash, and will be able to hanle your local 1/8 scale track without any real issues and still be able to do all the jumps. However if you want to go race, I would suggest a nitro buggy or truggy. You can get several good RTR buggies and truggies for about what you would have (or less) into a slash or e-revo.

Nitro tuning really isnt that hard. just remember if it is running too hot you need to richen up your mixture. if its running too cool and hesitating lean it out a bit to give it more crisp response.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
2/2/2011 7:03pm
tobz wrote:
Thanks, the slash 4wd ultimate sounds like a go-er. The team associated ones look good also. Should i purchase it straight from traxxas? or is there...

Id look around on the internet of a local hobby shop and check it out. If not check out some of these sites and see if they do international shipping. ebay works well too if you find the right seller.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/

http://www.amainhobbies.com/

http://www.hobbypeople.net/

For a charger ive heard great reviews on Onyx 230s.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCK1&P=7

and you would need a balancer for the lipos like this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRZ9&P=ML

and ive gotten my lipos from here and ive had pretty good results with them. they are really cheap.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp

Post a reply to: Traxxas RC car - Picking the right one

The Latest