Travis Pastrana's letter to himself

SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 4:44pm
ESPN asked several athletes to write letters to themselves as younger athletes. Here is what Travis wrote:

Handwritten Letter Link

December 29, 2002

It's been four days since the last time you practiced, four days since the last time you ran, bicycled or went to the gym. The Supercross season starts next week and your mind is flooded with doubt. You have the flu and you're not recovering because you are over-trained. Despite what you believe, all your hard work will not go away in a week. The best thing you can do right now is rest.

A group of your friends will show up later today to ride. A film producer named Gregg Godfrey will also be there. Don't try to be tough. The cold medicine you're taking will slow down your reflexes. Don't let Gregg's cameras give you false courage. You will have plenty of opportunities to film with him in the future.

If you ride today, it will be the last day you ever wake up with a realistic chance of fulfilling your childhood dream of becoming a Supercross champion. You will never be able to jog, jump on a trampoline or do anything that impacts your right leg without swelling and pain. If you ride today, you'll go against your better judgment and attempt a 180-foot-long jump over two barbed-wire fences. You will end up lying on the side of a hill with a broken leg and a right knee that makes RG3's look perfect. (You'll get that reference in 10 years.)

But there's a catch. The hurt and depression you experience over the next two years will show you who your real friends are. These friends will pick you up and lead you to something greater than you ever dreamed possible. You will tour the world doing crazy, fun stunts with those friends. You'll meet your future wife on this tour. She won the X Games when she was younger than you are now. She's cute, talented, passionate and your best friend. In 10 years, she will be pregnant with your first child.

Today is the day that changes your life. For better or worse, I'm not sure. I only know the outcome you were destined for; not what could have been. I guess it's only fair to tell you that if you ride today, your racing career won't end. But instead of two wheels, you'll race on four. Rally cars, monster trucks and even NASCAR are on the horizon if you ride today. So what will it be? Knowing what I know now, I would leave everything the same. I would ride. But knowing how much winning that title means to you on this day, I think you'll stay in bed.

Whatever you do, always follow your passion.

Sincerely,

You in 10 years

P.S. Don't get a Corvette.
|
7/1/2013 5:52pm
Glad it worked out for Travis, I bet he thinks about that jump every day for the rest of his life.
Crush
7/1/2013 6:09pm
Don't get a corvette.... Well done.
jleews6
7/1/2013 6:10pm
Glad it worked out for Travis, I bet he thinks about that jump every day for the rest of his life.
And the Corvette because Travis is a good honest person

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
45th
7/1/2013 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2013 7:06pm
Laughing at the end he signs his name "travis pastrana #60 some things change"

What an awesome read...
oshow
7/1/2013 6:22pm
Damn great letter.

Hall of Fame. Guy B
MotoX85
7/1/2013 7:26pm
I will show up to watch this kid ride/race/drive and get 40th, before I would ever want to watch others get first. To me the personality and love of the sport is always more important than who the current champion is.

Glad I got to watch you ride Travis. Oh, and thanks for holding my 1 year old daughter at STL Sx when you were sidelined with a shoulder injury when my wife threw her in your arms to get a picture. I later asked her if she realized he was not racing because of a hurt shoulder and now our daughter probably hurt it more.
KBehlingMX
7/1/2013 8:29pm
Can't find the video of the crash he's talking about, I've seen it before but no luck finding it this time.
Dts717
7/1/2013 8:40pm
I was thinking the same thing.. Am I missing something?
dboivin
7/1/2013 8:56pm
Dts717 wrote:
they were asked to write a letter to themselves 10 years ago......think of an 18yr old travis...he penned the letter to his 18yr old self.

its basically a "with what you know now, what would you change" kinda thing. travis has had a lot happen in 10 years and is quite interesting to see the path he has chosen....good and bad.
Jack mehoff
7/1/2013 9:03pm
The vette was the wreck that happened on davidsonville rd in Maryland , the passenger was a kid from Florida that got pretty banged up , I guess it's one off his life's regrets , we where all young and dumb once , that's the story off life no ones path is the same , glad it worked out for him , could not happened to a better person or family , I can still remember his dad telling how at bout age 5 ridding a trickle down the stairs and wow could he tear up butdds creek
Flatliner
7/1/2013 9:05pm
It's funny. I don't think a lot of people know just how bad that guy wanted to win. And had he not got hurt that day he had the speed to win the 03 title.

Him and RR17 will always be my favorite riders.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
7/1/2013 9:08pm
RG3 was twelve in 2002...
Trauma
7/1/2013 9:09pm
Dts717 wrote:
It was not really written in 2002, it's like a reflective exercise.
KGAspeed
7/1/2013 9:17pm
Like everyone else, I used to be a little saddened or frustrated that he never really had a full shot at SX and MX. Not anymore - he's just much bigger than our sport, but still pulls his ties right back to where he started and never forgets it. His life is amazing, and the person he is, is always incredibly impressive.

(I'm spacing out here - who is RG III?)
Dts717
7/1/2013 9:28pm
Ahh, thank you for the clearification Silly
7/1/2013 9:52pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Like everyone else, I used to be a little saddened or frustrated that he never really had a full shot at SX and MX. Not anymore...
Like everyone else, I used to be a little saddened or frustrated that he never really had a full shot at SX and MX. Not anymore - he's just much bigger than our sport, but still pulls his ties right back to where he started and never forgets it. His life is amazing, and the person he is, is always incredibly impressive.

Richard Gere III

7/2/2013 12:39pm
Just watched "199 Lives" last night.
The guy operates on another level mostof us will never experience. I mean he runs around his house at night sleepwalking and screaming and has no memory about it. Don't try and understand the enigma that is TP199. There is some deep shit going on there.
moto314
7/2/2013 1:33pm
very cool, thanks for sharing.
peelout
7/2/2013 1:40pm
that was a very cool read, thanks for the post.

i liked Aaron Rodgers letter as well, cool topic
uk125250
7/2/2013 2:03pm
I think these letters are really stupid. I would write really small and have pages and pages of data from sports almanacs, stock market, etc. Also, why would 2002 Pastrana listen to himself in present if it was his lifelong dream to win a Sx championship? Do you think he was thinking of driving cars back then over bikes?
Feint
7/2/2013 2:34pm
uk125250 wrote:
I think these letters are really stupid. I would write really small and have pages and pages of data from sports almanacs, stock market, etc. Also...
I think these letters are really stupid. I would write really small and have pages and pages of data from sports almanacs, stock market, etc. Also, why would 2002 Pastrana listen to himself in present if it was his lifelong dream to win a Sx championship? Do you think he was thinking of driving cars back then over bikes?
Did you read what he wrote?

"So what will it be? Knowing what I know now, I would leave everything the same. I would ride. But knowing how much winning that title means to you on this day, I think you'll stay in bed."
cason402
7/2/2013 2:52pm
uk125250 wrote:
I think these letters are really stupid. I would write really small and have pages and pages of data from sports almanacs, stock market, etc. Also...
really?

it doesn't interest you just how a successful person might view his successes or failures? this type of data for one's one career (even outside of sports) or raising kids for example, is something any thinking person should value (at least IMHO).

it isn't fanboy stuff, it's a look inside an extremely successful mans mind.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3116th
7/2/2013 2:53pm
uk125250 wrote:
Good god, dude.
Team Ideal
7/2/2013 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2013 3:50pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Like everyone else, I used to be a little saddened or frustrated that he never really had a full shot at SX and MX. Not anymore...

this, except I know who RG III is lol
Feint
7/2/2013 4:01pm
You are completely missing the point. Those letters would not be interesting. No one cares that you would tell your younger self how to become rich. What is interesting is to see the advice someone would give their younger self for a situation that they actually faced.

If you can't see that I only have one more thing to say to you. Unlike with national moto numbers, a triple digit IQ is desirable. You seem to have the number of a former champion.
tobz
7/2/2013 4:50pm
Cool read, i wouldn't want him to change anything either.

Didn't know he was expecting his first child!
7/2/2013 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2013 9:25pm
TP is objectively a freak of nature.

Recently on a NASCAR pre-race show they had a really interesting segment featuring TP. During the bit Red Bull had Travis in to one of their testing facilities where they study and evaluate their athletes' brains in a number of different categories.

Summarizing the conclusions of the Red Bull scientists; Among an assortment of athletes where abberance IS the norm, Travis distanced him self from the rest by displaying dominance in a number of areas. Where some athletes showed mastery of one or a few different cognitive skills, TP's results were at the outer margins of excellence in almost every category.

I came away with the impression that the results of these tests really boggled the researchers at Red Bull because of how objectively powerful Travis's brain was on paper compared to the other super athletes that have studied.

If someone could find this clip I'm referring to I'm certain it would be very interesting to some of you.

Post a reply to: Travis Pastrana's letter to himself

The Latest