Travel and MX

tcallahan707
I was in Thailand last year and I started thinking about something. Knowing they had a GP, I thought it'd be cool to find a place to ride and experience the local moto scene. While there were many places to rent motorcycles, I couldn't find anywhere to rent a motocross bike. Dual sport was about the best I could do and that wasn't really what I was looking for. I wanted to dice it up with the locals! So my question is, what can a guy like me do to experience moto around the world? I'm sure many in the moto community would offer up bikes and gear because we rock, but I feel like that's a lot to ask of someone. Are there certain locations that do have mx bike rentals and I just have to plan my travels around that?

Ps. I was in Chiang Mai when I started looking into riding and there just so happened to be a Honda safety training facility nearby. While not exactly the track I was looking for, the whole setup was a really cool deal! Check the link.https://hondasafetyridingpark.aphonda.co.th/ I rented a grom to cruise out there and find out more. After navigating some rather difficult language barriers, I managed to talk them into letting me test out of all the classes in the same day so I could just ride. I met the guy who was going to be my "instructor" and I got to talking with him. My understanding of the conversation is that all of the instructors at these facilities around Asia race each other in Japan once a year. This guy happened to be the reigning champ. Unfortunately, he was booked the next day and I flew out the following day so I wasn't able to ride. Even though the track would have been pretty boring, I was pretty bummed because I really wanted to ride with this guy. No doubt he rips!
|
tcallahan707
9/18/2017 8:27am
I'd love to see a conversation related to the above. I'm currently sitting in Northern Italy missing my bike back home. I happened to be in the area of Pietramurata and went and checked the track out. I was hoping to at least be able to see some riding and possibly find a way to spin a couple easy laps. They happened to be hosting a TrialsGP next door so the track was closed to riding. I was able to wander out on track though and I posted some pictures on my instagram @tcallahan7. For those who aren't aware, this is the track that RV last raced as a professional. It's pretty neat to integrate some moto history into my travels. Another GP track called Mantova is nearby, and Maggiora (site of last year's des nations) is only a couple hours away. Hopefully, I can scope them out and possibly find a way to ride. I'll also be in England for a week for MXDN so maybe I can find something there as well.
mx617
9/18/2017 8:56am
The only mx one I've found was in Maui. I know south/central America there's lots off road stuff, but haven't seen any actual mx rentals.

http://www.mauimotox.com
NorCal 50+
9/18/2017 9:04am
If I was in some foreign country, I would do the same thing! Pretty cool to see a different take on the sport.

Post a reply to: Travel and MX

The Latest