Transworld on hold

AngryBear
1/31/2019 5:07pm
DC wrote:
I think Donn and Michael and the whole staff do too good of a job not to find a new home (or maybe an old home...
I think Donn and Michael and the whole staff do too good of a job not to find a new home (or maybe an old home with Bonnier?) Our sport needs this magazine, their website, their races. The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't fit in their library. I am a fan and reader of all of the magazines in moto right now, including MXA and TWMX, as well sites like Vital MX and PulpMX and others, and even though the media landscape is changing, there's enough content out there to cover that we can all do our own thing and have an audience. I practically grew up with Donn at Cycle News and then MX Racer, and even when we became magazine rivals, we were friendly rivals and worked together when we could. I really hope he and his crew find a new home quickly and keep it pinned.

DC
DC, is his name literally David Pecker?
indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pecker

"He is the publisher of National Enquirer, Star, Sun, Weekly World News, Globe, Men's Fitness, Muscle and Fitness, Flex, Fit Pregnancy, and Shape."
Dust601
1/31/2019 5:11pm
Hard to believe how long they’ve been around. I remember begging to get every new issue as a youngster, and as I’ve grown I continued with the issues, and have expanded into all the other content they’ve put out.

This is really a bummer. Hoping for the best that they can get some new backing, and continue doing the awesome job they’ve always done.
1/31/2019 5:46pm
So the best selling magazine gets put on hold...how does dirt bike or mxa stay afloat?
Maybe the purchaser doesn’t spend as much on their staff. Or they have their own people. Sometimes companies buy their competition. Could be any number of reasons really.
smrscott
1/31/2019 6:00pm
Dirt Bike and MXA are privately owned by a family and don't have a giant sea of
Corporate Money Suckers" on top of the food chain. The cost to run their brands are way less than a big corporate media company. Plus what MXA and Dirt Bike consider profit and what a big corporate Money Sucker calls profits are two different animals.

Back in the day when I worked for Peterson Publishing in the late 90s, the owners loved what they did and loved guns, cars and motorcycles. They sold to a bunch of Money Suckers and the good times started to fade. At one time Transworld was a small fun publishing company, they have been sold several times just like Dirt Rider was and over time they kept chipping at the sole of the brands until there was nothing left - LOL

I have known Don since he rode three-wheelers at Ascot, he will bounce back on one of those three wheels.

The Shop

1/31/2019 6:16pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[i]"The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't...
"The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't fit in their library."

If it doesn't fit their library/business model, what's the upside to buying them out? Hoping the subscribers will subscribe to whatever they put out? I buy moto mags because it's about moto. I couldn't care less about The National Enquirer or whatever else they put out.
Sounds like TWMX was part of an acquisition of multiple mags - say the portfolio Mr. Pecker Head’s(I’m sure he’s never heard that one before) company bought was all profitable but they only have the ability to print 75% of it and still provide reliable publishing services - and the price for the portfolio was right - well then you get what we have here.

I don’t know media companies at all just throwing things out there but there’s a saying in business: “all business isn’t good business”.

I hope I don’t sound smug, but I’m older and unfortunately have seen shit like this before. Doesn’t make sense to us but to their bean counters it does.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/31/2019 6:36pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[i]"The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't...
"The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't fit in their library."

If it doesn't fit their library/business model, what's the upside to buying them out? Hoping the subscribers will subscribe to whatever they put out? I buy moto mags because it's about moto. I couldn't care less about The National Enquirer or whatever else they put out.
Sounds like TWMX was part of an acquisition of multiple mags - say the portfolio Mr. Pecker Head’s(I’m sure he’s never heard that one before) company...
Sounds like TWMX was part of an acquisition of multiple mags - say the portfolio Mr. Pecker Head’s(I’m sure he’s never heard that one before) company bought was all profitable but they only have the ability to print 75% of it and still provide reliable publishing services - and the price for the portfolio was right - well then you get what we have here.

I don’t know media companies at all just throwing things out there but there’s a saying in business: “all business isn’t good business”.

I hope I don’t sound smug, but I’m older and unfortunately have seen shit like this before. Doesn’t make sense to us but to their bean counters it does.
Well, if TWMX was part of a big portfolio, I totally get it. If it wasn't, then it still leaves me scratching my head.

Sucks, because I liked TWMX. Getting the mags for the wall posters alone was worth it. Especially the earlier mags. Cool
AngryBear
1/31/2019 6:45pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

Sounds like TWMX was part of an acquisition of multiple mags - say the portfolio Mr. Pecker Head’s(I’m sure he’s never heard that one before) company...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well, if TWMX was part of a big portfolio, I totally get it. If it wasn't, then it still leaves me scratching my head. Sucks, because...
Well, if TWMX was part of a big portfolio, I totally get it. If it wasn't, then it still leaves me scratching my head.

Sucks, because I liked TWMX. Getting the mags for the wall posters alone was worth it. Especially the earlier mags. Cool
Transworld (I believe) was still owned by Motor Trend Group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Group

If so, this is what the acquisition would have brought. its easy to see how something like a mx or bmx mag is only a small part of it...

Automotive:
Automobile
Car Craft
Circle Track
Dirt Sports + Off-Road
Diesel Power Magazine
European Car
Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Jp
Lowrider
Motor Trend
Truck Trend
Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road
Roadkill
Super Street

Sports:
Baseball America
GrindTV
Powder Magazine
Recoil
Skateboarder
Snowboarder Magazine
Slam Magazine
Surfer
Surfing Magazine
Transworld Motocross
Transworld Skateboarding
Transworld Snowboarding
Offgrid
Dew Tour
EngIceDave
1/31/2019 6:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 6:50pm
I cannot imagine the headaches that must come with running any moto magazine or Vital, with all the politics between the OEMs and various PITA advertisers, bitching about "how come we're not on that bike build?" or "why weren't we included?" in whatever....Not to mention all the constant event travel, expenses, contracting, testing, liability costs and so much more
EngIceDave
1/31/2019 6:49pm
TWMX was owned by TEN (The Enthusiast Network)
Sully
1/31/2019 7:18pm
DC wrote:
I think Donn and Michael and the whole staff do too good of a job not to find a new home (or maybe an old home...
I think Donn and Michael and the whole staff do too good of a job not to find a new home (or maybe an old home with Bonnier?) Our sport needs this magazine, their website, their races. The new owners (David Pecker's American Media) also own The National Enquirier and those kind of magazines and motocross and BMX mags and platforms apparently don't fit in their library. I am a fan and reader of all of the magazines in moto right now, including MXA and TWMX, as well sites like Vital MX and PulpMX and others, and even though the media landscape is changing, there's enough content out there to cover that we can all do our own thing and have an audience. I practically grew up with Donn at Cycle News and then MX Racer, and even when we became magazine rivals, we were friendly rivals and worked together when we could. I really hope he and his crew find a new home quickly and keep it pinned.

DC
DC, is his name literally David Pecker?
So, a Pecker bought Transworld, and a Blatter bought YouthStream? Our poor little sport can't decide if it's getting fucked or pissed on...
1/31/2019 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 7:21pm
Hoping for the best. My favorite mag is and always has been, MXA. But I’m subscribed to Transworld and Don seems like a genuinely nice guy so I support him 100%.

I can see why it’s a bad time for print; it’s because all the info is available online in an instant. Back in the day, Cycle News was the quickest way to get results (unless you wanted an ass whooping from your parents for calling 1-900) which I didn’t subscribe to. I would wait until MXA came out to see who won.
beandip
1/31/2019 7:23pm
gt80rider wrote:
That is absolutely no joke. However, the media (talking big media) says that motorcycle ownership is higher than ever in America. Now, not a lot of...
That is absolutely no joke.

However, the media (talking big media) says that motorcycle ownership is higher than ever in America. Now, not a lot of new bikes are being sold, but the used market is really hopping and loaded with cheap bikes, so I can see that.

So why are all these households with motorcycles in them, not spending any money on the industry? They aren't buying much gear, not many aftermarket parts, and they aren't subbing to magazines.

I am talking industry wide here, not just dirt, but are the majority of bikes owners just not riding, so they aren't buying anything? Or do the majority spend most of their cash on their house/cars/student-loans and just don't have the cash to be an avid rider?

Seriously, I am an avid daily rider, and I don't want to see all our cool sh!t go away (big races, new bikes, new aftermarket goodies). Only now am I truly worried that the industry of mx/sx could end up like slot car racing..... this sucks.......

The cost of insurance, is what does it for me
Premix
1/31/2019 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 7:46pm
AngryBear wrote:
Transworld (I believe) was still owned by Motor Trend Group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Group If so, this is what the acquisition would have brought. its easy to see how...

If so, this is what the acquisition would have brought. its easy to see how something like a mx or bmx mag is only a small part of it...

Automotive:
Automobile
Car Craft
Circle Track
Dirt Sports + Off-Road
Diesel Power Magazine
European Car
Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Jp
Lowrider
Motor Trend
Truck Trend
Roadkill
Super Street

Sports:
Baseball America
GrindTV
Powder Magazine
Recoil
Skateboarder
Snowboarder Magazine
Slam Magazine
Surfer
Surfing Magazine
Transworld Motocross
Transworld Skateboarding
Transworld Snowboarding
Offgrid
Dew Tour
As EngIceDace already pointed out TW was owned by TEN.

But, you brought up a couple publications that I follow pretty regularly with Hot Rod Magazine/Roadkill. Within the last year they have gone to an “on demand” version of content for their videos and their wildly popular Roadkill show that they charge for and I happily subscribe to for 5 dollars a month. The amount of content on there is awesome. From engine builds, to 4x4 stuff, to the roadkill show. I can’t help but think this is the way “content” is headed.

I would gladly pay the equivalent to any moto media outlet that produced comparable content. I’m over seeing slow mo riding edits. I don’t have the time to read lengthy articles. Podcasts and Videos. Show us some badass backwoods adventure rides, give us some comprehensive engine build advice from some of the top engine builders, have a reputable trainer put out a daily workout video, give us a race day breakdown live after qualifying, cover the local and world off-road Racing scene, showcase local tracks and dealerships through a roadkill style show, show us what the factory bikes are using (mind you Ping and the “Factory Flyers” from Transworld we’re doing a nice job of this)

1/31/2019 8:04pm
Premix wrote:
As EngIceDace already pointed out TW was owned by TEN. But, you brought up a couple publications that I follow pretty regularly with Hot Rod Magazine/Roadkill...

But, you brought up a couple publications that I follow pretty regularly with Hot Rod Magazine/Roadkill. Within the last year they have gone to an “on demand” version of content for their videos and their wildly popular Roadkill show that they charge for and I happily subscribe to for 5 dollars a month. The amount of content on there is awesome. From engine builds, to 4x4 stuff, to the roadkill show. I can’t help but think this is the way “content” is headed.

I would gladly pay the equivalent to any moto media outlet that produced comparable content. I’m over seeing slow mo riding edits. I don’t have the time to read lengthy articles. Podcasts and Videos. Show us some badass backwoods adventure rides, give us some comprehensive engine build advice from some of the top engine builders, have a reputable trainer put out a daily workout video, give us a race day breakdown live after qualifying, cover the local and world off-road Racing scene, showcase local tracks and dealerships through a roadkill style show, show us what the factory bikes are using (mind you Ping and the “Factory Flyers” from Transworld we’re doing a nice job of this)

This x1000
Brent
1/31/2019 8:09pm
I hate to say it, but all of my subs are to online magazines. I have not purchased a print mag in who knows how long.

Donn is an innovator, if this doesn't work out I'm sure he will be doing something awesome in moto soon enough.

Seems to me the bigger picture is that this sport is slowly dying, at least in Southern California.
gnarwhip
1/31/2019 8:16pm
I still have the first issue of MXRacer and enjoyed twmx. If I were those guys I would quit and start a new company with two things; a website and a YouTube channel. That’s it. You can make good money off of YouTube these days with advertiser $.
AngryBear
1/31/2019 8:17pm
AngryBear wrote:
Transworld (I believe) was still owned by Motor Trend Group. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Group If so, this is what the acquisition would have brought. its easy to see how...

Automotive:
Automobile
Car Craft
Circle Track
Dirt Sports + Off-Road
Diesel Power Magazine
European Car
Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Jp
Lowrider
Motor Trend
Truck Trend
Roadkill
Super Street

Sports:
Baseball America
GrindTV
Powder Magazine
Recoil
Skateboarder
Snowboarder Magazine
Slam Magazine
Surfer
Surfing Magazine
Transworld Motocross
Transworld Skateboarding
Transworld Snowboarding
Offgrid
Dew Tour
Premix wrote:
As EngIceDace already pointed out TW was owned by TEN. But, you brought up a couple publications that I follow pretty regularly with Hot Rod Magazine/Roadkill...

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/317390/the-enthusiast-ne…

TEN was rebranded as Motor Trend last spring...

It's hard to keep up with , these companies buy/sell/acquire often
RandyS
1/31/2019 8:39pm
mxb2 wrote:
I guess subscribers. Are SOL?
My subscription just renewed, guess I'll get the same refund I got from Dirt Rider. At least it was only $4.99, probably the reason it's gone.
Yeti365
1/31/2019 8:45pm
Damn, I was subscribe to it and racer x tonight ? kinda over mxa and dirt rider.

I really hope things pull through for them.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/31/2019 8:47pm
AngryBear wrote:

Automotive:
Automobile
Car Craft
Circle Track
Dirt Sports + Off-Road
Diesel Power Magazine
European Car
Four Wheeler
Hot Rod
Jp
Lowrider
Motor Trend
Truck Trend
Roadkill
Super Street

Sports:
Baseball America
GrindTV
Powder Magazine
Recoil
Skateboarder
Snowboarder Magazine
Slam Magazine
Surfer
Surfing Magazine
Transworld Motocross
Transworld Skateboarding
Transworld Snowboarding
Offgrid
Dew Tour
Premix wrote:

AngryBear wrote:

Sign out front was still The Enthusiast Network.
AngryBear
1/31/2019 8:51pm
Premix wrote:

AngryBear wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Sign out front was still The Enthusiast Network.
on IG don said he's had 5 diff biz cards since starting TWMX due to the acquisitions/etc. i'd prob quit putting up new signs too...
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/31/2019 8:53pm
This is the company that bought them.

It’s a shame to see all these people get let go. Unfortunately there was major cuts to the snow and skate magazines as well. We will see what happens in the next few weeks.
mxb2
1/31/2019 8:53pm
mxb2 wrote:
I guess subscribers. Are SOL?
RandyS wrote:
My subscription just renewed, guess I'll get the same refund I got from Dirt Rider. At least it was only $4.99, probably the reason it's gone.
X2,. They should refund some.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/31/2019 9:02pm
I’ve been in touch with most of the staff all day, here’s a little info to pass on. I know Donn and his crew are full gas trying to get this resolved and keep the brand alive.

“It was not due to a lack of subscriptions, readership, circulation, personnel, or ad revenue. TWMX was the most profitable title in the portfolio that was up for grabs (this division of TEN is not tied to anything that is part of the Motor Trend Group, that shuffle happened years ago). The pause is due to the new ownership having no experience or interest in fielding a motorcycle magazine. We are allowed to seek out new ownership separate from the new buyers for the title and can pick up where it left off should we find a buyer.”
mxb2
1/31/2019 9:14pm
ML512 wrote:
I’ve been in touch with most of the staff all day, here’s a little info to pass on. I know Donn and his crew are full...
I’ve been in touch with most of the staff all day, here’s a little info to pass on. I know Donn and his crew are full gas trying to get this resolved and keep the brand alive.

“It was not due to a lack of subscriptions, readership, circulation, personnel, or ad revenue. TWMX was the most profitable title in the portfolio that was up for grabs (this division of TEN is not tied to anything that is part of the Motor Trend Group, that shuffle happened years ago). The pause is due to the new ownership having no experience or interest in fielding a motorcycle magazine. We are allowed to seek out new ownership separate from the new buyers for the title and can pick up where it left off should we find a buyer.”
Text me plz
pbody
Fantasy
347th
1/31/2019 10:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 10:40pm
ML512 wrote:
I’ve been in touch with most of the staff all day, here’s a little info to pass on. I know Donn and his crew are full...

So it's something the owner doesn't want it, but won't let it go for free. Mmmkkkkkkk! I hate big business sometimes.....most of the time. Silly
Sully
1/31/2019 10:37pm
ML512 wrote:

pbody wrote:
So it's something the owner doesn't want it, but won't let it go for free. Mmmkkkkkkk! I hate big business sometimes.....most of the time. Silly
Right? It seems like they're looking for a one-time cash grab, rather than using the resources they have in place (Donn & his crew) to keep the checks rolling in long-term.
mx12boy
Fantasy
1706th
1/31/2019 11:07pm
My wife got me a subscription a few months ago no wonder i haven't gotten it.
motograss
1/31/2019 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2019 11:51pm
Of course you have to look outside of the motocross industry to gain any real insight into The Enthusiast Network's (TEN) decisions with Transworld MX and its other publications today. They are being bought by American Media and the books needed to be cooked with a 50% reduction in outlying capital, read employee salaries, before the deal goes down.. Zero to do with not wanting a MX mag under the umbrella. Slash and burn" cash grab sell off is all you need to know. Hopefully Donn can find the capital to buy the only money making brand of the entire portfolio, which will likely be really expensive, and carry on: click the link
From StabMag

Post a reply to: Transworld on hold

The Latest