Transitioning to flat track?

Who here has made the transition to flat track, or race both moto and flat track? Really thinking about picking up a wheel set and giving it a go. Any pointers for a newb?
|
JWACK
12/1/2016 11:39am
Who here has made the transition to flat track, or race both moto and flat track? Really thinking about picking up a wheel set and giving...
Who here has made the transition to flat track, or race both moto and flat track? Really thinking about picking up a wheel set and giving it a go. Any pointers for a newb?
I raced my local 1/8 flat track series in 09. They had a class for knobbies so I did the open knobbie class. I didn't want to spend money on wheels if I didn't like it. But It was a blast.!! I would have invested in a wheel kit but the track got bought out by the car guys and they stopped the motorcycle races
hillbilly
12/1/2016 12:43pm
I'd rather flat tracked but it came and went here in the mid 70s.

A wide front and correct tires and low cg is just much more fun to slide.
12/1/2016 1:03pm
Have your suspension done, if you're just wanting to dip your feet, Try American Supercamp or Colin Edwards' Texas Tornado Boot Camp in Texas. You can have a lot of fun and learn the right techniques on little bikes.
RPM68
12/1/2016 1:46pm
Been riding and racing out here since 2011. It is hands down the most fun you will ever have.

My recommendation? Get a TTR, take off the front brake, and set up some cones in a field. Purchase a Bridgestone TW40 120/80-16 rear tire and go to town.

Ive made a couple 4-500 bucks in a night. Cant do that at a local moto race when entries are 5-10 pros.

If you have any questions give me a shout. mcpherson.ryan.p@gmail.com

https://youtu.be/2BwwrzhWi30

The Shop

12/1/2016 2:08pm
I'm kind of thinking about picking up a '17 250sx then convert my '16 150sx into a dirt track bike.
hillbilly
12/1/2016 3:56pm
I'm kind of thinking about picking up a '17 250sx then convert my '16 150sx into a dirt track bike.
I'd find a 525 to stuff in the frame,that is where the fun is,big,controllable torque.
12/1/2016 4:02pm
RPM68 wrote:
Been riding and racing out here since 2011. It is hands down the most fun you will ever have. My recommendation? Get a TTR, take off...
Been riding and racing out here since 2011. It is hands down the most fun you will ever have.

My recommendation? Get a TTR, take off the front brake, and set up some cones in a field. Purchase a Bridgestone TW40 120/80-16 rear tire and go to town.

Ive made a couple 4-500 bucks in a night. Cant do that at a local moto race when entries are 5-10 pros.

That's cool.
hillbilly
12/1/2016 4:19pm
RPM68 wrote:
Been riding and racing out here since 2011. It is hands down the most fun you will ever have. My recommendation? Get a TTR, take off...

That's cool.
In the mid 80s there was a Saturday nite sx in travelers rest SC that used half a 3/8 mile flat dirt track for cars.

During intermission you could toss in a 20 and do the entire track,winner take all.

I had a 85 ktm 500 that was soo much fun to take that money on. They had like a 100 watt bulb at each end ,right in your eyes. One nite they run the water truck around high and low with a big dry swath in the middle,bout the 3rd lap I loose my point and hit the wet and went screaming into the wall,laid it over and bermed off like I knew what I was doing.

Those rednecks thought it was the coolest move ever,I was shaking so bad because the fence was a homer Simpson rebar setup that would been ugly to get into.

But, back in the 70s,

The sweetest bike I raced was a bultaco astro 360 the shop traded on. I was 14 and it sailed me around like a rocket. We had 4 tracks,2 you could not use any brakes, try that one time. And the smell of bean oil and some trick fuel .

Good times.
chuckie108
12/1/2016 4:52pm
I've raced some DT and it's awesome fun! Kinda niche too, so generally a cool cast of characters. If you're really looking to just give it a whirl, find a used front wheel for your bike and lace a 19' rim to it, mount some maxxis DT tires front and back, and go for it. That set up will be a good place to start. If you find it worth it at that point, get a second bike set up for DT. Chassis technology hasn't really changed in years, so any 450 from the last 10 years set up DTX style would be plenty capable of being competitive and having a great time!
jreed530
12/1/2016 4:53pm
I made the switch a few years ago. I had a blast. Flat track people are some of the nicest people you will meet. With that being said it is not a cheap sport. Be prepared for 150-180 dollars per tire.
Steadman
12/1/2016 5:06pm
Who here has made the transition to flat track, or race both moto and flat track? Really thinking about picking up a wheel set and giving...
Maybe find out if there are any flat track riding schools or coaching (where they provide the motorcycle) I had a go at the Flat Track Canada school this year. It was great fun and I learned a lot but it wasn't enough to get me hooked. Minimal money to try something without going all in.
Bryan_Wanke
12/1/2016 5:43pm
I made the transition last fall with my dads 2003 YZ450, and i have to say, it is tons of fun. As previously stated, there's no feeling cooler than throwing a bike sideways at 80+MPH and sliding around a cushion half mile. I definitely recommend trying it atleast once to everyone. You will be amazed at how much your moto skills improve with DT as well. You learn excellent throttle control.
JPT
12/1/2016 6:18pm
Steadman wrote:
Maybe find out if there are any flat track riding schools or coaching (where they provide the motorcycle) I had a go at the Flat Track...
Maybe find out if there are any flat track riding schools or coaching (where they provide the motorcycle) I had a go at the Flat Track Canada school this year. It was great fun and I learned a lot but it wasn't enough to get me hooked. Minimal money to try something without going all in.
Flat track school.

"Go like Hell, turn left, repeat."
feelnjstfine
12/1/2016 6:52pm
If there is one thing I can't stress enough, whatever you do, don't go in with the mindset that you are getting into something that is safer because you're not!
feelnjstfine
12/1/2016 6:54pm
JPT wrote:
Flat track school.

While it may look that way from the outside, nothing could be further from the truth.

Steadman
12/1/2016 8:01pm
Steadman wrote:
Maybe find out if there are any flat track riding schools or coaching (where they provide the motorcycle) I had a go at the Flat Track...
JPT wrote:
Flat track school.

Man, it's so much more than that. Flat track racers do not get the credit they deserve.
Racerx930
12/1/2016 10:06pm
I had some buddies that were flat track guys that talked me into it, tons of fun but scares me more than mx.

RBernardi85
12/1/2016 10:48pm
Myke wrote:
What?!. Half flat track with infield moto. Wow!

https://youtu.be/MsehJTGKcss
I raced my quad the fair race a couple years ago. Couldn't fit my other bikes for the knobbie class and pit bit. I wanted to do the hooligan class on my Harley, maybe next year.

jtetchila1
12/4/2016 8:53am
I will be at the Extreme International Ice Racing event in Everatt, WA with my 450 and Speedway bike on January 7th. Come on up and up and check it out.

12/4/2016 9:23am
Short tracks up to a 1/4 are fun. If you don't like going fast, stay off the bigger tracks. Throttle control is key. No berms to bounce off of. Did some vintage stuff for a few years.

12/4/2016 6:00pm
jtetchila1 wrote:
I will be at the Extreme International Ice Racing event in Everatt, WA with my 450 and Speedway bike on January 7th. Come on up and...
I will be at the Extreme International Ice Racing event in Everatt, WA with my 450 and Speedway bike on January 7th. Come on up and up and check it out.

I'll have to try and make it up there for that!

Post a reply to: Transitioning to flat track?

The Latest