Transitioning to electric bikes.

Potsy3
Fantasy
604th
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2021 11:38am
With electric vehicle technology progressing so much, how do you thing the sport could transition to the use of electric motors.

Potentially start out as a support class or switch cold turkey etc.

Young up and comers seem to be learning on smaller electric bikes ( Stacycs, KTM E ride)

Curious for some other opinions.

Cheers!
|
Johnny Ringo
4/10/2021 9:04pm
How big of an ICE generator do I need to charge it on race day? Will the little Honda do?
Potsy3
Fantasy
604th
4/10/2021 9:18pm
Reduced charging time and multiple batteries could help.

Not saying all the kinks are worked out but seems to be the direction it's heading.
VRR7
4/10/2021 10:01pm
It will be the death of MX !

Has anybody able to stay awake to watch a whole MotoE race ? They used to run MotoE same day as MotoGP found ratings tanked as viewer tune out when MotoE came on and did not bother to tune back.
VRR7
4/10/2021 10:05pm
Bring 2 strokes back , especially 125cc ! They are a good transition for younger riders. 125cc is the best bike to learn proper riding technique on. A 125 cc really teaches you how to ride. Cheap to maintain !!! NB affordability is a huge factor in how big the sport can grow is how many people can afford to participate. E Bikes are very expensive you will see a huge drop in participation when they force ebikes !

The Shop

cartel
4/10/2021 10:42pm
Personally, I think it'll be a long while before it has any significant place in the sport.

As VRR7 mentioned, the E-Moto GP class was a snoozefest, albeit, with a cast of riders that weren't headliners, but still. Shit, how much grumbling do F1 fans have over the loss of V8-10-12 engines and that harmony they formerly emitted?

Technology platforms will be another big question. Take the MTB world for example: Specialized made a massive investment into the category long before the competitors (akin to Tesla) and are far, far ahead of the curve. Trying to regulate IC is difficult enough; imagine the facilitation of testing and regulating new technology. Being a software engineer I can think of a thousand ways to have nefarious advantages on an e-moto.

With that in mind, I do think somewhere down the road the moto will go the way of the dinosaur. Might not be in our lifetime, but eventually the government will truncate the importation and development of IC and moto will be collateral damage. Does that mean I like it? No. I love the palpable feel and sound of an IC engine and absolutely lament the slow degradation of the technology. But, I also want my kids, grandkids, and their grandkids to enjoy clean air and nature the way I did, and with pollution emittance still as egregious as it is, something has to give—I'm not that selfish.

As far as charging at the track, the development of charging stations are making massive headway. Heck, you could probably rack up enough tax and carbon credits here in California and have one installed at your local track for free. And along with the recent massive breakthrough in nuclear fusion, there's a very good chance that we'll have properly 'clean' and renewable energy in this century (make your investments now).
Potsy3
Fantasy
604th
4/10/2021 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2021 10:58pm
cartel wrote:
Personally, I think it'll be a long while before it has any significant place in the sport. As VRR7 mentioned, the E-Moto GP class was a...
Personally, I think it'll be a long while before it has any significant place in the sport.

As VRR7 mentioned, the E-Moto GP class was a snoozefest, albeit, with a cast of riders that weren't headliners, but still. Shit, how much grumbling do F1 fans have over the loss of V8-10-12 engines and that harmony they formerly emitted?

Technology platforms will be another big question. Take the MTB world for example: Specialized made a massive investment into the category long before the competitors (akin to Tesla) and are far, far ahead of the curve. Trying to regulate IC is difficult enough; imagine the facilitation of testing and regulating new technology. Being a software engineer I can think of a thousand ways to have nefarious advantages on an e-moto.

With that in mind, I do think somewhere down the road the moto will go the way of the dinosaur. Might not be in our lifetime, but eventually the government will truncate the importation and development of IC and moto will be collateral damage. Does that mean I like it? No. I love the palpable feel and sound of an IC engine and absolutely lament the slow degradation of the technology. But, I also want my kids, grandkids, and their grandkids to enjoy clean air and nature the way I did, and with pollution emittance still as egregious as it is, something has to give—I'm not that selfish.

As far as charging at the track, the development of charging stations are making massive headway. Heck, you could probably rack up enough tax and carbon credits here in California and have one installed at your local track for free. And along with the recent massive breakthrough in nuclear fusion, there's a very good chance that we'll have properly 'clean' and renewable energy in this century (make your investments now).
That may be one of the smartest, most well written answers I've read on this site! Lol

Somehow I totally get what your saying, I feel the same way about the excitement and feel of an IC engine and there is a nostalgic sense to that.

However I'm all for progression and have become very concerned with the environment as I've grown up. I am willing to forgo the loud sound of a bike in order to feel the speed and excitement of moto.

I also am keen on what could be the advantages of an electronic motor. Less regular maintenance, smoother power delivery, and above all less environmental impact.

I guess the biggest issue would be cost and I could see that swaying folks away from the sport.
Lasse
Fantasy
2966th
4/10/2021 11:14pm
I think MX will die, and I think MTB will die. With how electric bikes are developing, I think it will be a fusion of the two, and thats perfectly fine.

New stuff isn't always bad.
sandtrack315
4/11/2021 3:11am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 3:16am
A time will come when we have electric trucks that can charge our electric bikes. Of course we will miss the ICE noises and smells, but this will grow the sport. The maintenance is much less intense and low risk; no top end rebuilds, no air filters, no oil changes. This makes it more attractive to new riders. As long as the bike is as light as current models and I can go do two 35 minute motos, I’m happy.

I think manufacturers will slowly build up from the little bikes. Kids don’t have the nostalgia, and parents who don’t know motocross / maintenance will be more comfortable with electric bikes.
MX558
4/11/2021 4:14am
I'm personally all for it , I'm tired of driving 2 hrs to ride
cwel11
4/11/2021 4:21am
Did some yard work yesterday. My Stihl leaf blower was loaned out so I used my Milwaukee battery powered leaf blower. After going through two 9 amp hour batteries and completing half of what I wanted to accomplish I thought eff this, I’ll wait until my gas blower is back. It will be a long time until the electric motor catches up to the power and convenience of the internal combustion motor. Yes they’re “neat” but not ready for prime time. My 2 cents
Bearuno
4/11/2021 5:30am
The deal / co-operation between Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki , Kawasaki, KTM and Piaggio ( and, I'd be surprised to Not see others join in), with regards to battery standardisation, is going to be a Big, BIG factor in E bikes.
gt80rider
4/11/2021 8:13am
Electric is a different critter... hard to have a slow and a fast class (250 450) as they all can be crazy fast.... hard to tame down a brushless lithium power system... gonna be a mess unless they really figure something out for different power classes
Johnny Depp
4/11/2021 8:45am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 8:46am
Some may not have noticed, but F1 was already boring as is MotoGP is you are not in front of a TV screen you can't see shit. Personally I'd like to hear more crowd noise like NFL was rather than not being able to speak to the person next to you over the bikes.

As far as regulation goes F**k it. That is what your right wrist is for, we don't need 40 classes. Bitches needing handicaps to win, if you can't keep up that's your problem. Too many classes will kill the sport long before IC engines will.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/11/2021 9:24am
MX558 wrote:
Sorry but the tree huggers and neighbor's or city councils don't want you to ride or race electric bike either, mountain bikers found that out the hard way. The greenies don't want anything with wheels on trails and just because its quite they "still scar the land " Evil they dont even what the people on horses riding on trails.
Moto213
4/11/2021 9:47am
MX558 wrote:
It will then just morph into, too much dust in the air, or disturbing the natural terrain of the earth.
Johnny Ringo
4/11/2021 9:48am
MX558 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Sorry but the tree huggers and neighbor's or city councils don't want you to ride or race electric bike either, mountain bikers found that out the...
Sorry but the tree huggers and neighbor's or city councils don't want you to ride or race electric bike either, mountain bikers found that out the hard way. The greenies don't want anything with wheels on trails and just because its quite they "still scar the land " Evil they dont even what the people on horses riding on trails.
Yep. Nailed it. I even got yelled at for walking “off” the trail by 2 inches
Titan1
4/11/2021 10:44am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 11:05am
cartel wrote:
Personally, I think it'll be a long while before it has any significant place in the sport. As VRR7 mentioned, the E-Moto GP class was a...

The pollution caused by ice dirt bikes isn’t anything...going to electric won’t save the planet...especially while they are charged with fossil fuels.

I don’t care about the ice engine...other than I like the performance and the range...if e bikes can replicate that, with no significant additional cost, I’d ride one in a heart beat.

But I’m also under no illusion that they will save the sport...greenies will still want them banned from public land, and wIill still try and close tracks...that wont change.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
4/11/2021 10:53am
Every time this subject comes up it pisses me off. Electric bikes and vehicles as an option ? Awesome great far out bitchin. The govt cramming them down our throats and saying that’s our “only option” ? Aah how about fuck right off. Sorry just bring honest.....
JustMX
4/11/2021 10:58am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 10:59am
MX558 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Sorry but the tree huggers and neighbor's or city councils don't want you to ride or race electric bike either, mountain bikers found that out the...
Whether it is the damage they do to the ground or the methane they produce horses are not environmentally friendly.

The tree huggers will be coming after them as soon as they get rid of ice and cows.
ShawdowGlen
4/11/2021 11:10am
Enjoy SX/MX and riding while you can.

It's going bye bye.
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
4/11/2021 11:11am
Electric MX bikes are much easier to go faster on. I can clearly see this with the E50 kids at the track.
However the skill set to ride one is much, much less and will have much, much less appreciation.

Quad = easy and anyone can do it
Bike = lots to learn, challenging, interesting

Boogie Board = easy and anyone can do it
Short board = challenging, interesting, rewarding

But hopefully it will bring new ideas to keep the interest because there will be a day.
ninety3
4/11/2021 11:33am
cartel wrote:

Unless you can find a way to engineer your way around a set battery limit, there should be no issues
Works in RC, and Formula E, no reason it can't work on Moto E

Entertainment factor aside, it's honestly far easier to cheat with a combustion setup

Agree on the rest of your post
8500rpm
4/11/2021 11:39am
wisey wrote:
Electric MX bikes are much easier to go faster on. I can clearly see this with the E50 kids at the track. However the skill set...
Electric MX bikes are much easier to go faster on. I can clearly see this with the E50 kids at the track.
However the skill set to ride one is much, much less and will have much, much less appreciation.

But hopefully it will bring new ideas to keep the interest because there will be a day.
'Car nerds' were very negative over double-clutch/auto boxes also, as they had learned so well to 'manual shift', it was an art, it's cheating that someone can drive faster where the computer does the shifting... well, this was 10-15years ago, now only old people want to be seen in a 'back in the days manual shifter', all super fast cars have F1 inspired boxes...

Electric MX will come, you won't have to shift, but most likely they will leave the smokers in the dust one day... but the same people will be the fastest, those who spend endless of hours practicing, but they won't be practicing shifting and using the clutch, instead on more worthwhile things like jumping better, cornering faster etc.

It sucks for us 40+ riders, but the shifting skill will become obsolete one day.

Then again, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen looks pretty cool in their super expensive auto-shift cars Wink (well, theu blip the gears, but no clutch).

The future is different, but not necessarily bad at all.

btw. I used to have a KTM E-XC, sold it... not because it didn't have gears, but it was a playbike, not built for moto... if Honda releases the their 'electric CRx' and it's as good as a CRF250/450 in every way but it has electric engine, I will be first in line. I won't have any use for my clutch/shift skills, but it will be a lot of fun and very fast... now this is mostly for recreational moto riding, I guess we are far far from professional/semi-pro moto going electric, as the industry is a large tanker to change course.

I think the biggest problem is cost really. If e-bikes would become the norm and requirement for some (close to housing areas) tracks, then it would limit riders, as only 'affluent' riders who can afford this $12.000-$15.000/bike can ride for the first 3-4years until there is a used market where good e-bikes can be picked up for maybe 4-5-6k??? Right, Wrong?

The positive is the noise.. the hate we receive from the general public is great, would be lovely to do a sport where people would care as little for us as they do for mountain bikers.

Personally I don't see the noise 2-4-strokes produce do anything for the riding experience, in some cases, it makes it worse... sh*t, how much noise that bikes makes and barely moves.

I think it will come down to Cost + Weight!
DK23
4/11/2021 12:49pm
wisey wrote:
Electric MX bikes are much easier to go faster on. I can clearly see this with the E50 kids at the track. However the skill set...

8500rpm wrote:
'Car nerds' were very negative over double-clutch/auto boxes also, as they had learned so well to 'manual shift', it was an art, it's cheating that someone...
'Car nerds' were very negative over double-clutch/auto boxes also, as they had learned so well to 'manual shift', it was an art, it's cheating that someone can drive faster where the computer does the shifting... well, this was 10-15years ago, now only old people want to be seen in a 'back in the days manual shifter', all super fast cars have F1 inspired boxes...

Electric MX will come, you won't have to shift, but most likely they will leave the smokers in the dust one day... but the same people will be the fastest, those who spend endless of hours practicing, but they won't be practicing shifting and using the clutch, instead on more worthwhile things like jumping better, cornering faster etc.

It sucks for us 40+ riders, but the shifting skill will become obsolete one day.

Then again, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen looks pretty cool in their super expensive auto-shift cars Wink (well, theu blip the gears, but no clutch).

The future is different, but not necessarily bad at all.

btw. I used to have a KTM E-XC, sold it... not because it didn't have gears, but it was a playbike, not built for moto... if Honda releases the their 'electric CRx' and it's as good as a CRF250/450 in every way but it has electric engine, I will be first in line. I won't have any use for my clutch/shift skills, but it will be a lot of fun and very fast... now this is mostly for recreational moto riding, I guess we are far far from professional/semi-pro moto going electric, as the industry is a large tanker to change course.

I think the biggest problem is cost really. If e-bikes would become the norm and requirement for some (close to housing areas) tracks, then it would limit riders, as only 'affluent' riders who can afford this $12.000-$15.000/bike can ride for the first 3-4years until there is a used market where good e-bikes can be picked up for maybe 4-5-6k??? Right, Wrong?

The positive is the noise.. the hate we receive from the general public is great, would be lovely to do a sport where people would care as little for us as they do for mountain bikers.

Personally I don't see the noise 2-4-strokes produce do anything for the riding experience, in some cases, it makes it worse... sh*t, how much noise that bikes makes and barely moves.

I think it will come down to Cost + Weight!
I disagree with some of your post based on my opinion, however it's a fact LH and MV don't look as cool in the current F1 cars. Smile
4/11/2021 1:51pm
wisey wrote:

Eventually there will be a rider on the electric bikes that will wow us like bubba and rc did and change the sport again.

Post a reply to: Transitioning to electric bikes.

The Latest