Transitioning from RMZ to CRF

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2019 7:02 AM

I was looking to move forward with newer technologies, so I swapped out my RMZ (sold it on Vital, thx) for a 2019 CRF. I picked up the Honda on Wednesday, it hr 1.5 hrs of ride time on it (Seely), clearly broken in.
Took it out to REM yesterday to race the main track at GH.
E-start, amazing! Spring forks, outstanding, horsepower, ridiculous!
Power delivery and gear ratios were different. More of a 2nd gear corner type of power. As the day progressed, I softened her up a bit and that was a substantial difference in the bumps and it was pretty race day rough!
I hadn’t raced in a year and a half and kinda threw myself in the fire with making a bike change and taking it right to moto’s, but i tell you what, it’s the quickest way to learn a new bike.
Wanted to share, for those dudes looking to swap out old for new. Do it! Photo
Photo

|

10/27/2019 7:23 AM

Nice upgrade mate. Did you sell your van as well?

|

10/27/2019 7:35 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Nice upgrade mate. Did you sell your van as well?

Thx!
Still have the race rig for sale. Photo

|

10/27/2019 7:51 AM

Ahh... saw the black van behind and wondered if you had upgraded that as well.

|

10/27/2019 11:36 AM

Yes. The Zuk is not even on the same playing field. The last RMZ I tried felt like an 08 CRF450r technology with EFI, but with a heavier feel to it.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

10/27/2019 11:51 AM

7eleven wrote:

I was looking to move forward with newer technologies, so I swapped out my RMZ (sold it on Vital, thx) for a 2019 CRF. I picked up the Honda on Wednesday, it hr 1.5 hrs of ride time on it (Seely), clearly broken in.
Took it out to REM yesterday to race the main track at GH.
E-start, amazing! Spring forks, outstanding, horsepower, ridiculous!
Power delivery and gear ratios were different. More of a 2nd gear corner type of power. As the day progressed, I softened her up a bit and that was a substantial difference in the bumps and it was pretty race day rough!
I hadn’t raced in a year and a half and kinda threw myself in the fire with making a bike change and taking it right to moto’s, but i tell you what, it’s the quickest way to learn a new bike.
Wanted to share, for those dudes looking to swap out old for new. Do it! Photo
Photo

That you Squires?

|

10/27/2019 1:22 PM

7eleven wrote:

I was looking to move forward with newer technologies, so I swapped out my RMZ (sold it on Vital, thx) for a 2019 CRF. I picked up the Honda on Wednesday, it hr 1.5 hrs of ride time on it (Seely), clearly broken in.
Took it out to REM yesterday to race the main track at GH.
E-start, amazing! Spring forks, outstanding, horsepower, ridiculous!
Power delivery and gear ratios were different. More of a 2nd gear corner type of power. As the day progressed, I softened her up a bit and that was a substantial difference in the bumps and it was pretty race day rough!
I hadn’t raced in a year and a half and kinda threw myself in the fire with making a bike change and taking it right to moto’s, but i tell you what, it’s the quickest way to learn a new bike.
Wanted to share, for those dudes looking to swap out old for new. Do it! Photo
Photo

Nice work, experiment a bit with mappings, you can smooth her out a little more (esp. at lower end) plus get even more power (not that you need more) with great mapping. It also helps with chassis/suspension setup.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

10/27/2019 1:25 PM

7eleven wrote:

I was looking to move forward with newer technologies, so I swapped out my RMZ (sold it on Vital, thx) for a 2019 CRF. I picked up the Honda on Wednesday, it hr 1.5 hrs of ride time on it (Seely), clearly broken in.
Took it out to REM yesterday to race the main track at GH.
E-start, amazing! Spring forks, outstanding, horsepower, ridiculous!
Power delivery and gear ratios were different. More of a 2nd gear corner type of power. As the day progressed, I softened her up a bit and that was a substantial difference in the bumps and it was pretty race day rough!
I hadn’t raced in a year and a half and kinda threw myself in the fire with making a bike change and taking it right to moto’s, but i tell you what, it’s the quickest way to learn a new bike.
Wanted to share, for those dudes looking to swap out old for new. Do it! Photo
Photo

BAD10 wrote:

That you Squires?

Yes sir.

|

10/27/2019 3:26 PM

I’ve been toying with this myself but the twitchy nature of the new chassis scares me a bit. Hence why I’ve been thinking of the kawi also.

Let us know how you get the chassis sorted out. Thanks.

|

10/27/2019 4:34 PM

H4L wrote:

Yes. The Zuk is not even on the same playing field. The last RMZ I tried felt like an 08 CRF450r technology with EFI, but with a heavier feel to it.

That’s a complement, the 08 Honda was too this day one of the best 450s ever made.

|