Training to be faster

jsmi33966
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:01am
So I'm like most of you guys who show up to chat be safe and just have fun but lately I have been inching my way into the A class.

What do yall recommend to get faster and make the most of your ride days?

Normally I do sprints of 2-3 laps and I slow down as soon as I start to make mistakes. Before a race I will practice starts, figure 8, circle ruts and I finish every practice with 2-5 laps all standing. On Mondays I try to work on forearm and grip strength, I do box jumps and rowing.

I rarely try to ride for endurance because I hear you can learn bad habits that way. Enduro racing has changed my style a lot.

I have learned a lot about suspension since I got air forks and I think that has helped. Also I usually only test and make changes on a rough prepped track
|
motomike137
4/11/2018 11:45am
I'm just a slow old fart but the old saying goes "jump for show, corner for dough". Getting in and out of the turns efficiently is where all the big gains are to be made imho.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/11/2018 11:56am
Work on your riding form. Once you have the proper technique nailed, everything else falls into place. (This is assuming you train, eat right, prep your bike, etc.)

4/11/2018 12:29pm
jsmi33966 wrote:
So I'm like most of you guys who show up to chat be safe and just have fun but lately I have been inching my way...
So I'm like most of you guys who show up to chat be safe and just have fun but lately I have been inching my way into the A class.

Normally I do sprints of 2-3 laps and I slow down as soon as I start to make mistakes. Before a race I will practice starts, figure 8, circle ruts and I finish every practice with 2-5 laps all standing. On Mondays I try to work on forearm and grip strength, I do box jumps and rowing.

I rarely try to ride for endurance because I hear you can learn bad habits that way. Enduro racing has changed my style a lot.

I have learned a lot about suspension since I got air forks and I think that has helped. Also I usually only test and make changes on a rough prepped track
I as well am training in hopes of racing the A/AA classes in woods harscrambles.

before a recent knee injury, I was cycling 3-4 times a week and trying my best to ride once or twice on a good trails area close to home. alot of foam roller work and trying to practice stability with bodyweight. I was hoping to start adding in some weight work and swimming, but depending on how my physical therapist reccomends recovery it might just be swimming and upper body work for a little while.

Thats good that you are working on forarms! we have a string tight to a weight and roll that up and down a few times and boy does it build up some muscle cramps! shoulders core and legs i would work on building a solid physical foundation and learn how to meal prep.. amazing what a difference it makes when you show up to the track already hydrated and well rested nutritionally.

mountain biking is supposed to be a great cross over training, but if you have access to a rower or ski machine those are great cardio builders as well!

The Shop

kb228
4/11/2018 1:24pm
Im not fast but id imagine youd want to hold a near sprint pace for 15-20 mins for practice. Only way to improve at anything is to peg it near the max until that level becomes easy
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
4/11/2018 2:07pm
Stop slowing down after just 3 laps. If just 2-3 laps at your best, already makes you make mistakes and fatigue, than you lack endurance. I don’t know who told you that endurance gives you bad habits. He’s wrong.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
4/11/2018 2:35pm
Push hard at all times, treat every ride like a race and your speed will slowly improve, Get good medical insurance too.
crc245
4/11/2018 2:45pm
Have you ever worked with a trainer? Extra eyes for accountability, technique, etc.

Detailed schedule for practice and upcoming races? Video access to check form? Any local faster riders to speed check and chase? Best advice is to stay off the ground, as much as possible, as physical setbacks can be the biggest hindrance.
mark_swart
4/11/2018 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 4:09pm
I feel like I've been stuck on the same plateau for years, so I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about this question as well!

I'm usually near the front of my class (+40 INT ), but I have nothing for the A guys. At this age, I've sort of come to accept that my speed is just my speed, and that I will never get enough consistent seat time to get faster. But I can work on conditioning so that I can at least ride at potential.

The point on endurance training is relative - I think you need to be training to the level that you expect your body to perform on race days. That brings confidence. I race two classes and my practice days generally have more motos than my race days, but I don't try to replace two 15 minute motos with one 30 minute one. Once you get the the point of fatigue where you lose your pace, continuing is counterproductive and you are increasing your risk. If you are a weekend warrior like me and are having problems with keeping your pace, I think you have to address your cardio with off-the-bike conditioning during the weekdays.

It's a pretty intense sport to try and build speed in later in life, unless you have a way to ride multiple times during the week.

Titan1
4/11/2018 3:59pm
About three seasons ago I was running at the front of the B class... two seasons ago I was running towards the front of the A class...I couldn’t race much last year at all, and couldn’t ride much either. Now I’m at/near the back of the A class.

I have no idea where that speed went...but I’m sure having a hard time getting it back. In races this year I feel like I’m running my old pace, but I’m not even close...it’s like my brain and body forgot what that speed looked/felt like or something.

It’s frustratig...
kkawboy14
4/11/2018 4:14pm
Meister wrote:
Ride. Alot.
^^^^ what he said!

Those 2-3 lap sprints are killing you! If you can’t sprint for 10 laps on a track your about to race 6 or 7 laps on.....you will never make the A class work.
MBR
4/11/2018 4:21pm
You should definitely get LITPro. It really helps, especially when using the LIVE feature and hearing your segment and lap times through ear buds. They have even the 2 sec drop in lap times guarantee.

https://www.litprolive.com
plowboy
4/11/2018 5:53pm
Ride a lot....I mean LIVE on the bike.
BobKerr
4/11/2018 5:56pm
I could never ride during the week due to work. I had to do everything off the bike that I could. I was my fastest when I was running 3-4 miles as fast as I could a couple of times a week, and also riding my mountain bike on difficult trails for about 1-2 hours a couple of times a week.
Forty
4/11/2018 7:39pm
mark_swart wrote:
I feel like I've been stuck on the same plateau for years, so I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about this question...
I feel like I've been stuck on the same plateau for years, so I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say about this question as well!

I'm usually near the front of my class (+40 INT ), but I have nothing for the A guys. At this age, I've sort of come to accept that my speed is just my speed, and that I will never get enough consistent seat time to get faster. But I can work on conditioning so that I can at least ride at potential.

The point on endurance training is relative - I think you need to be training to the level that you expect your body to perform on race days. That brings confidence. I race two classes and my practice days generally have more motos than my race days, but I don't try to replace two 15 minute motos with one 30 minute one. Once you get the the point of fatigue where you lose your pace, continuing is counterproductive and you are increasing your risk. If you are a weekend warrior like me and are having problems with keeping your pace, I think you have to address your cardio with off-the-bike conditioning during the weekdays.

It's a pretty intense sport to try and build speed in later in life, unless you have a way to ride multiple times during the week.

Move yourself up. Racing faster guys makes you faster. Believe it.
Titan1
4/11/2018 7:53pm
BobKerr wrote:
I could never ride during the week due to work. I had to do everything off the bike that I could. I was my fastest when...
I could never ride during the week due to work. I had to do everything off the bike that I could. I was my fastest when I was running 3-4 miles as fast as I could a couple of times a week, and also riding my mountain bike on difficult trails for about 1-2 hours a couple of times a week.
You could mountain bike for 1-2 hours a couple times a week but couldn’t ride during the week?
Zoom
4/11/2018 8:01pm
WOW, says you live in Port Isabel. If that is so, I have a similar story, growing up in Brownsville. I was the fastest local rider in the valley in the 80's. Not including Steve Wise, of course. There wasn't a lot of competition in South Texas. I was trying to do the same thing Steve did in the 70's. Lots of trips to Austin (5 hours), San Antonio (4 1/2 hours), Houston (6 hours) and even DFW tracks (8-10 hours). You are going to have to get out of the Valley if you want to get better.

Good luck!
4/11/2018 8:23pm
Focus on line choice and all your different options through every corner. Obviously a good main line is good if you can run clean laps, but once you get into traffic you have to run alternate lines. Making shitty lines fast and practicing with race craft in mind helps me a lot. It also slows me down and keeps me checking my technique instead of just pinning it in the easiest line
Turbojez
4/11/2018 11:53pm
Meister wrote:
Ride. Alot.
mxer807 wrote:
Ride. Alot.
This, and when you're done, fill her up with gas and ride more.

I am nowhere near A-class speed, but just a couple of weeks ago I was enlightened.
In the previous seasons, I busted my ass in the gym 5-6 times a week, not riding a lot though. I got in an awesome shape, but my riding didn't improve much.

This season, I don't work out nearly as much, but I ride my dirtbike 2-5 times a week. Any track. Rutty, beat up, even a turn track in the field near my house. 3 20 minute motos after work, and I can tell you, that I was never faster and at the same time in more control, than I am now.
Nothing, NOTHING beats seat time.

I believe the only one thing separating a slow guy, from a fast guy, is seat time, and the amount of fuel burnt through their bikes.
jtiger12
4/12/2018 3:05am
Take a trip to so cal or Florida, sign up for B class, and prepare to get served. You'll learn a couple things on that trip.
BobKerr
4/12/2018 3:33am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2018 3:34am
BobKerr wrote:
I could never ride during the week due to work. I had to do everything off the bike that I could. I was my fastest when...
Titan1 wrote:
You could mountain bike for 1-2 hours a couple times a week but couldn’t ride during the week?
The mountain bike trails were less than 5 minutes from where I lived. The two closest MX tracks were about 60 minutes drive.
4/12/2018 4:25am
NVA57 wrote:
Stop slowing down after just 3 laps. If just 2-3 laps at your best, already makes you make mistakes and fatigue, than you lack endurance. I...
Stop slowing down after just 3 laps. If just 2-3 laps at your best, already makes you make mistakes and fatigue, than you lack endurance. I don’t know who told you that endurance gives you bad habits. He’s wrong.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable.
Yes this is right.. definitely get comfortable riding tired and learning to push through it !
All the other stuff your doing sounds good.. full throttle or full brake- (no coasting) lol.
Good luck.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/12/2018 6:28am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2018 6:32am
Practice with a purpose, don't just do sprints, or lap after lap, find your weaknesses and work on them continuously.

The old saying goes jump for show corner for dough. My advice is to first work on corners, every guy out front has Corner speed, nothing is more important. Iy first starts with the approach, gliding through the turn and then exiting all while covering the brakes, throttle and body position. Someone who knows how to corner well is typically at the front of the pack.

When I was fast, I practiced right turns one day left turns the next day for a half hour straight working on proper technique and breaking and body position, and then I went out and did my laps.

Whatever your weaknesses are, figure them out and practice them continuously. Have somebody film The Fast guy and then have them film you and see the differences and work on those differences.

Like I said doing sprints and doing laps does not necessarily make you a better rider, it will make you a little faster and then you will Top out until you figure out how to ride the motorcycle, and that's where practicing with a purpose comes into play.
jsmi33966
4/12/2018 7:21am
Zoom wrote:
WOW, says you live in Port Isabel. If that is so, I have a similar story, growing up in Brownsville. I was the fastest local rider...
WOW, says you live in Port Isabel. If that is so, I have a similar story, growing up in Brownsville. I was the fastest local rider in the valley in the 80's. Not including Steve Wise, of course. There wasn't a lot of competition in South Texas. I was trying to do the same thing Steve did in the 70's. Lots of trips to Austin (5 hours), San Antonio (4 1/2 hours), Houston (6 hours) and even DFW tracks (8-10 hours). You are going to have to get out of the Valley if you want to get better.

Good luck!
Yea I grew up in Houston the scene is a little different here. I can't leave I have it too easy here.
Motofinne
4/12/2018 7:35am
I think there is so many parts that need to be in place for someone to actually become better.

You can't become better if you're out of shape och too weak because that limits the amount of riding and level of pushing you can do. And it becomes way more dangerous to push hard if you are tired after 2 laps going 110%.

Then you can't become better unless you know you're weaknesses and work on them (and know how to work on them).

And of course suspension set up for you and knowledge of how to adjust it.
Zoom
4/12/2018 9:06am
Zoom wrote:
WOW, says you live in Port Isabel. If that is so, I have a similar story, growing up in Brownsville. I was the fastest local rider...

Good luck!
jsmi33966 wrote:
Yea I grew up in Houston the scene is a little different here. I can't leave I have it too easy here.
I did the opposite of what you did. I grew up in the Valley. Turned pro when I was 18, then moved to Houston when I was 20 with the dream of making a living racing dirt bikes. I had some success and raced in a few SX and Outdoor Nationals, but was never able to make a living racing a dirt bike. However, it did lead to some pretty cool industry jobs. I was a district manager for Parts Unlimited for 28 years and recently took a position last year as Regional Sales Manager for Alta Motors. Also trained several riders along the way and did some SX and Arenacross announcing too.

Good luck!
TeamGreen
4/12/2018 9:54am
jsmi33966 wrote:
So I'm like most of you guys who show up to chat be safe and just have fun but lately I have been inching my way...

Keep doing what you’re doing and learn all you can about affective post race recovery and study up on good sleeping habits for athletes.

Post a reply to: Training to be faster

The Latest