Training for Vet class 50+

Gary105
12/26/2015 1:11pm
Steve125 wrote:
I am NOT a doctor or trainer so results may vary but... this is what worked for me...I'm 49 and eligible for the 50+ class this...
I am NOT a doctor or trainer so results may vary but...
this is what worked for me...I'm 49 and eligible for the 50+ class this year.
5000 meters in about 24 minutes on a rowing machine 3 times a week plus 30 minutes on a low impact elliptical machine 3 times a week. Get your heart rate to around 150 but no more than that.
I've been doing that all year but unfortunately hadn't ridden a bike for 5 months. After 2, get comfortable on the bike, riding practices I went to Southwick a couple weeks ago and did 3 decent 23+ minute practice motos without any arm pump or breathing problems. It really surprised me.
Good luck.
Steve that is awesome!!! Arm pump and cardio are my problem right now... Southwick can wear down the best of them for sure. That was my favorite track in the hay day of my racing. Training the right way is key for sure. I have spent the last 30yrs lifting weights with almost no cardio. Zero good for motocross. Now i am getting back into riding and all that lifting and putting on muscle mass has had a negative effect on my riding. I have the speed but with the arm pump it gets sketchy after a short period of time. Going to be a long winter of cardio and i try to ride whenever i can. Benching 325 does zero good for motocross when you can't hold on to the bars cause of the arm pump that is for sure.. lol
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/26/2015 1:18pm
57 in less than a month. I try to ride or race at least once a month. walk 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week. And surf or swim a few times a month when I have time. Other than that I eat like a pig, limit my drinking to 3-4 beers a day, and try to drink lots of water and sleep 8 hours a night for 3 days before a race. I'm a mid-upper mid pack guy in the ultra competitive oldtimers 50 novice class. every once in awhile I'll get on the box, and if the right guys don't show up I'm a threat for the win. You're over 50, keep it fun, that's my best advice lol
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/26/2015 6:11pm
Steve125 wrote:
I am NOT a doctor or trainer so results may vary but... this is what worked for me...I'm 49 and eligible for the 50+ class this...
5000 meters in about 24 minutes on a rowing machine 3 times a week plus 30 minutes on a low impact elliptical machine 3 times a week. Get your heart rate to around 150 but no more than that.
I've been doing that all year but unfortunately hadn't ridden a bike for 5 months. After 2, get comfortable on the bike, riding practices I went to Southwick a couple weeks ago and did 3 decent 23+ minute practice motos without any arm pump or breathing problems. It really surprised me.
Good luck.
Gary105 wrote:
Steve that is awesome!!! Arm pump and cardio are my problem right now... Southwick can wear down the best of them for sure. That was my...
Steve that is awesome!!! Arm pump and cardio are my problem right now... Southwick can wear down the best of them for sure. That was my favorite track in the hay day of my racing. Training the right way is key for sure. I have spent the last 30yrs lifting weights with almost no cardio. Zero good for motocross. Now i am getting back into riding and all that lifting and putting on muscle mass has had a negative effect on my riding. I have the speed but with the arm pump it gets sketchy after a short period of time. Going to be a long winter of cardio and i try to ride whenever i can. Benching 325 does zero good for motocross when you can't hold on to the bars cause of the arm pump that is for sure.. lol
Gary I made the same mistake years ago.. I got very strong but lost my endurance.. I stopped weight training a couple years ago. I lost some size (which was hard to accept) but I feel much healthier now. Less inflammation in my joints too. If I do any weights at all now, it's very high repetitions with relatively light weight. And I'll only do them if I already wore myself down with cardio. I make a point to stay away from the guys I use to lift with.. so I don't go back to my old ways. Getting a pump is the worst thing, burning down the muscle with high reps worked best for me since I wan't to race more than anything. The only down side of the cardio I've been doing is that I sometimes feel tendinitis in my elbows after doing the rowing machine as much as I do.
I might know you from back in the day. I remember a Gary #105 from my NEMA days in the late 70's.. Could that be you?
Camp332
12/26/2015 6:41pm
Bro, Is this even a question?

Two things:
Bench Press, and bicep curls

The Shop

Gary105
12/26/2015 8:07pm
Steve125 wrote:
Good luck.
Gary105 wrote:
Steve that is awesome!!! Arm pump and cardio are my problem right now... Southwick can wear down the best of them for sure. That was my...
Steve125 wrote:
Gary I made the same mistake years ago.. I got very strong but lost my endurance.. I stopped weight training a couple years ago. I lost...
Gary I made the same mistake years ago.. I got very strong but lost my endurance.. I stopped weight training a couple years ago. I lost some size (which was hard to accept) but I feel much healthier now. Less inflammation in my joints too. If I do any weights at all now, it's very high repetitions with relatively light weight. And I'll only do them if I already wore myself down with cardio. I make a point to stay away from the guys I use to lift with.. so I don't go back to my old ways. Getting a pump is the worst thing, burning down the muscle with high reps worked best for me since I wan't to race more than anything. The only down side of the cardio I've been doing is that I sometimes feel tendinitis in my elbows after doing the rowing machine as much as I do.
I might know you from back in the day. I remember a Gary #105 from my NEMA days in the late 70's.. Could that be you?
One and the same... I was #105 when i was racing 85cc then switch to #12 on the 100cc. Then won the championship and rode with the #1 plate. Went from 100cc right to the 250 class in NESC and rode with #114, But next to #1 i always like #105 and its still my favorite number. Small world huh...
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/26/2015 9:30pm
Gary105 wrote:
One and the same... I was #105 when i was racing 85cc then switch to #12 on the 100cc. Then won the championship and rode with...
One and the same... I was #105 when i was racing 85cc then switch to #12 on the 100cc. Then won the championship and rode with the #1 plate. Went from 100cc right to the 250 class in NESC and rode with #114, But next to #1 i always like #105 and its still my favorite number. Small world huh...
Very cool..You were a beast.. lol. I have a couple pics of us at Lunenburg in 1980 when they combined A and B riders. I remember you and your Dad well. I believe he rebuilt my KX 80 engine once. Great guy. I was #238 in the 85 B class but went to NESC in 81. I quit in 83 but came back in 92 to win an Amateur Championship and finally make expert.. Hope to see you out there next year!
BobPA
12/26/2015 9:41pm
Camp332 wrote:
Bro, Is this even a question?

Two things:
Bench Press, and bicep curls
Curls get girls bro

Cardio is only for bitches who need to run away
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
12/26/2015 10:51pm
Weights and mountain biking. Ride MX as much as you can (which never seems to be often enough).
Go as intense as you can on both.
Bultaco
12/27/2015 4:17am
61 here. My primary fitness comes from swimming with local Masters swim team four times a week. Great workout with little impact on joints. But I need some sort of movement (hike, bike, ride, ski) every day.

I've not done it for a year, but when I also added in hot yoga a couple times a week, I felt better and was fitter.

The biggest changes I've had to accept are: every decade it becomes noticeably more difficult make gains in conditioning. Time needed to recover from exercise and movement keeps increasing. I cannot exercise enough to overcome bad eating.

Gary105
12/28/2015 6:38pm
Gary105 wrote:
One and the same... I was #105 when i was racing 85cc then switch to #12 on the 100cc. Then won the championship and rode with...
Steve125 wrote:
Very cool..You were a beast.. lol. I have a couple pics of us at Lunenburg in 1980 when they combined A and B riders. I remember...
Very cool..You were a beast.. lol. I have a couple pics of us at Lunenburg in 1980 when they combined A and B riders. I remember you and your Dad well. I believe he rebuilt my KX 80 engine once. Great guy. I was #238 in the 85 B class but went to NESC in 81. I quit in 83 but came back in 92 to win an Amateur Championship and finally make expert.. Hope to see you out there next year!
Steve you should post those pictures on this topic if you have them... http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Old-School-Moto,22/Anybody-here-race-NEMA… I would love to see them. Are you running Nesc 50+ class??? I plan on racing the Winchester Speedpark series as well.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
12/28/2015 8:29pm
Bultaco wrote:
61 here. My primary fitness comes from swimming with local Masters swim team four times a week. Great workout with little impact on joints. But I...
61 here. My primary fitness comes from swimming with local Masters swim team four times a week. Great workout with little impact on joints. But I need some sort of movement (hike, bike, ride, ski) every day.

I've not done it for a year, but when I also added in hot yoga a couple times a week, I felt better and was fitter.

The biggest changes I've had to accept are: every decade it becomes noticeably more difficult make gains in conditioning. Time needed to recover from exercise and movement keeps increasing. I cannot exercise enough to overcome bad eating.

Can you expand on your swimming routine? I'm starting now, but what strokes are the best to use for MX training? Freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke ...? Thanks ....!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
12/28/2015 10:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2015 10:04pm
Bodysurf in summer, longboard in the winter. I can tell a difference when I don't spend enough time in the water. Low impact (except when you hit the bottom ) and fun.

Detroit Dick
12/28/2015 10:31pm
I watch as much MX/SX as possible. Off-season its classic MX re-runs and Mudslide ice cream. Oh, and long walks on the beach at sunset...
TheCRKid
1/24/2016 9:57am
bob567 wrote:
I just eat clean. No sugar. No salt. Nothing processed. Zero food from restaurants. If we are to lazy to prepare food we just don't eat...
I just eat clean. No sugar. No salt. Nothing processed. Zero food from restaurants. If we are to lazy to prepare food we just don't eat. Lots of raw uncooked vegetables and lean chicken/fish. At this age we don't need to eat much. Juice kale and fruit for breakfast. Raw veggies and bananas for lunch. Grilled chicken breast and mound of steamed veggies for dinner. Hundreds of different ways to prepare each meal.
^^^^
Very cool advice
Also
Thanks to everyone who added useful content to this thread
Fraser
1/24/2016 10:09am
road cycling for endurance and cardio, a few weights and upper body workouts to keep the strength up
4/19/2021 11:10pm
I,m rehabbing my body 1st, whirl pool, pool, stretching in sauna, more stretching, Epson salts baths, ice bath, etc. worked 8.5 months straight, a lot of Jersey runs. I was curled up in fetal position in the seat, beater truck is built for short people. Current Russian co, another pile, cheap seat, cab,etc . Basically beat my body real bad, over the last few years. A lot of months, you wish you could get out of your body, it,s so beaten. So I,m not waiting til I turn 55. I,m trying to get ready to race now. I don’t think there will be anything left of my body for next year, if I wait. My legs got scary weak, I tweaked my knee a few time over the winter. Last few weeks I could hardly put any weight on it. The last few days , I started in the pool trying to get my legs, hips functioning correctly. Did 10 , 20lb leg curls, at high reps legs burned. I did leg curls 4 diff days. Today did a few other leg things, a lot of mini squats with light weight. I can do 200 or so sit-ups easily, 1 minute break then another 200, then do them on a excercise ball. No upper body, except for light swimming.
4/20/2021 6:09am
I picked up Hockey great for Cardio and strengthening my legs, knees and ankles and it's super fun !!!!!! I couldn't sit on a rowing machine for any amount of time. MTB when I can also which again is pretty fun.
Preston412
4/20/2021 6:20am
Train for how you want to ride. I am still racing competitively, so I condition myself for it.
Workout/Cardio 3x a week.
For Cardio, I use a rower, Assualt Air bike and spin bike, I try to keep my heart rate between 120 and 130 BPM.
Weightlifting, I do two medium days and one heavy day and once every two weeks I do a 30 minute high intensity workout keeping my heart rate above 150 BPM for at least 20 minutes.
I ride 2 to 3 times a week when possible.

Short on time most of the time for workouts, I suggest these for at home.
Burpees, planks, side planks, supermans, lunges-use anything with weight, jump rope, push ups, step ups-use any stable chair-use anything with weight.

A strong core is your best friend.
murph783
4/20/2021 7:33am
Realistically the best thing for it is just to ride more. Which none of us get to do as much as we’d like so here’s what I’ve been doing. I’m 30.
Some sort of cardio every day, whether it’s going for a jog, riding the mtb, rowing or assault bike at the gym. Say 45 minutes, not super hard, I do all my cardio by HR zones, so I try to keep it in zone 3 most of the time, pushing it up to 4 if I feel good. 3 is about 130-150, 4 is about 150-170.
Sprints of some form once a week at least. Could be actually sprinting, on the mtb, or doing sprint motos. Just go full bore for a bit-rest-do it again. 5-10 sets usually.
I lift 3-4 times a week but honestly it’s more because I enjoy it a lot of the time. Moderate weight, high reps, short breaks between sets seems to work well for moto. I spend the winter going high weight low reps though-again just cause I like it.
Finally, stretch. A lot-like all the time. Optimally throw in some yoga or something too to break it up.
gt80rider
4/20/2021 7:37am
Yoga and push-ups on the daily got me the first six pack of my life at age 50....... and I MTB daily, but not hard or for long runs, mostly light riding... just some light stuff to keep moving and I feel better now than I ever have...
McG194
4/20/2021 8:11am
Question for you rowing guys........

What do you do to keep it from being mind numbingly boring?
Preston412
4/20/2021 8:38am
McG194 wrote:

Think about not being that guy who got past on the last lap because you didn't row for 30 minutes.
I have certain music playlist that can keep my mind off of the time and I usually keep an eye on the Watt output. Otherwise, youtube a past race and watch it.
4/20/2021 8:39am
I saw the rowing machines at the y, I,m not in good enough shape to be on 1 yet. I would get bad form, from my legs giving out. Yrs ago pt for a shoulder operation, my therapist chic- which I dated. Had me do 10 or 20 minutes or so on a rowing machine b4 we started shoulder pt. 5 days a week, I had to beat my # of rows from the day b4. 6 months earlier I had my knee reconstructed. She added the rowing, to improve my knee as a gift. Yeah a bit like torture, but I was 100% into it.
JustMX
4/20/2021 8:46am
Dang, if I had started following some of the tips here 6 years ago and lost 20 lbs a year, I would be back down to me 18 year old riding weight, have killer abs, and would be dominating my local +55 class.

Too late now.

Think a will hit taco ball for lunch
murph783
4/20/2021 8:47am
McG194 wrote:

Preston412 wrote:
Think about not being that guy who got past on the last lap because you didn't row for 30 minutes. I have certain music playlist that...
Think about not being that guy who got past on the last lap because you didn't row for 30 minutes.
I have certain music playlist that can keep my mind off of the time and I usually keep an eye on the Watt output. Otherwise, youtube a past race and watch it.
This. I like pulling up a helmet cam of a 30+2 and using that as a timer/motivation. Also keeping an eye on my heart rate and adjusting my speed to keep it within certain parameters helps. Or doing intervals. Sure makes those rest segments fly by lol
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/20/2021 8:50am
I'm just starting to branch out. I've been seriously mountain biking for about 6 years and I've started sprinkling in some running when I feel crazy enough to try it. A mile or so at a time.
Yoga kicked my ass the one time I tried it, so I think I'll keep trying it until I can handle it. I need some flexibility. I may also try Tai chi for some all-around balance and wellness. Gotta get back to the pushups, situps and chinups and I'll be pretty well-rounded.
4/20/2021 9:12am
I never did yoga, would like to try it. Packer players do a lot of yoga. A few retired packers have a gym in GBay, some other players workout there. It’s not crazy expensive either, but there is 4 ymca,s in town. The y,s are all different, the pool is a great way to get started. Work up to sprinting, just lock into the ladder and use 2 styles of leg sprinting.
sandtrack315
4/20/2021 9:33am
The HIIT / Circuit training work outs on Nike on FitOn. Cycling a lot. Try to ride 2-3 times a month, but put in solid time when I do, usually two 30's. I do one at a constant pace, basically the fastest I can go but be consistent for 30 minutes. Second one, I do some sprint laps, some cruise laps, some laps only standing up.
crusher773
4/20/2021 9:52am
I'm 39 and hate running. I have a concept 2 Skierg and I love it. Rower takes up too much space and bothers my knee. I throw some mountain biking in and general wrestling with a 14 year old.

Post a reply to: Training for Vet class 50+

The Latest