Training for Vet class 50+

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2015 10:10 PM

I'm 56, got artificial knees & hips, live on KFC & Macca's, riding my CR500 once a week gives me the work-out of a lifetime :-)

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

12/23/2015 11:18 PM

This hits close to home with me , as I am recovering from an extensive rotator cuff rebuild. I just want to go ride with some guys my age, (50), but I have not been able to raise my left arm above chest height in 2+ years. This is a major accomplishment!

|

12/23/2015 11:51 PM

TerryB wrote:

This hits close to home with me , as I am recovering from an extensive rotator cuff rebuild. I just want to go ride with some guys my age, (50), but I have not been able to raise my left arm above chest height in 2+ years. This is a major accomplishment!

I've had 3 rotator cuff rebuilds, yep painfull, hard to sleep (trying to get your arm in the right position) but it will come-back, then just push through the discomfort, you'll burn ;-)

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

12/24/2015 3:37 AM

I'm nearly 40 and only do stuff that's fun... mtb'ing but mostly down ways. Some squash. Ride mx once a fortnight- time doesn't allow much more( plus it's 11/2 hrs away). No gym work- if I'm lifting shit I wanna be paid for it!!!
Drink a few beers a week, eat anything to moderation

|

12/24/2015 4:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2015 4:49 AM

My thoughts,

You ride to ride better, you don't train to get faster. You train to ride more. Training should allow you to spend more time on the bike perfecting riding skills and allow you recover faster from injury.

Riding more often should make you ride better and should reduce the amount of time you spend on the ground rather than on the bike.

Flexibility is just as important as strength and endurance.

|

12/24/2015 4:57 AM

This is some very good input guys... Alot of mixed feelings about what you want out of riding and racing. Some for fun and just a good time and some for the same but the desire to keep that competitive edge rolling thru there later years. I may be 50yrs old but feel like i am in my 20's and have never been the type that wants to finish anything but 1st. Myself i will be training my ass off to be as fit as i can be come spring time.

|

12/24/2015 5:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2015 5:17 AM

I still race, but my “conditioning/workout routine” has fizzled out over the past two years.
Never a serious injury in 46-years of riding moto.
It is winter here, but at 63 I still have plans for racing two classes in ’16.

|

I don't trust any "Joined Date" later than 2012

12/24/2015 5:41 AM

58 years old and still running. I started running when I was 24 and never quit. Guess you could say I'm addicted.
Also go to the gym and do some weights a couple times a week, not heavy.
Helps to have a 59 year old wife that's very fit and loves to do cardio. We motivate each other.

I don't race as much as I'd like to due to my job but ride as often as I can. Still love to ride mx after all these years.

I eat what I want but in moderation. No soda and very little sugar. But I do like/love my Coors Light and craft beer.
Especially after a day of riding. Great way to cap off the day with my riding buddies.

Running works for me but isn't for everyone. I'm a big believer in doing some kind of cardio whether you ride moto or not. There's a bunch of ways to do cardio. Just find one that works for you.

It improves your quality of life as you get older. Plus you'll feel better all the way around.

|

12/24/2015 5:52 AM

Indy mxer wrote:

58 years old and still running. I started running when I was 24 and never quit. Guess you could say I'm addicted.
Also go to the gym and do some weights a couple times a week, not heavy.
Helps to have a 59 year old wife that's very fit and loves to do cardio. We motivate each other.

I don't race as much as I'd like to due to my job but ride as often as I can. Still love to ride mx after all these years.

I eat what I want but in moderation. No soda and very little sugar. But I do like/love my Coors Light and craft beer.
Especially after a day of riding. Great way to cap off the day with my riding buddies.

Running works for me but isn't for everyone. I'm a big believer in doing some kind of cardio whether you ride moto or not. There's a bunch of ways to do cardio. Just find one that works for you.

It improves your quality of life as you get older. Plus you'll feel better all the way around.

I agree with your thoughts on running. 25 years in the Army as a grunt, you had to get hooked on running! smile Doc finally said to stop, ruining whats left of my knees. I still miss it and agree it did help me every day.

|

12/24/2015 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2015 6:54 AM

I hate running not sure why but man is it boring.
I really like mountain biking and I'm trying to do more of that for part of my work out. Busted out 2 25 minute motos last night.

|

12/24/2015 8:19 AM

I loved running but my knees can not take it any more.

I have a rower that has been used maybe 10 times since buying it a couple years ago....so will step that up some.

I like mountain biking and will be doing that again daily.

My 1st think is going to be getting a OK from my DR and a stress test to make sure the heart system is 100%

|

12/24/2015 8:28 AM

54 here, I average 5 hours a week of cardio (including my once a week ride/race at a mx track). This year it has been "shuffling", I refuse to call it what it used to be "running". I have used an elliptical, and cycling in the past. When I race I generally ride 2 classes at events where the moto lengths at 15-20 minutes long. Racing back to back motos are generally not a problem. No alcohol, but I do smoke less than a pack a day. Lately I have been sporadically adding push ups every other day for strength (per my Marine Corp son's suggestion). I am not getting faster, but I do like having the fitness to ride as long as I want and not slow down.

|

12/24/2015 9:09 AM

Seat time and have fun.

|

12/24/2015 9:55 AM

Steel cut oatmeal or yogurt....I forgot what eggs, bacon, toast and grits tastes like!

Stamp it

|

12/24/2015 9:59 AM

I am 47 and do pretty much the same as many mentioned here.I eat clean and I do the 3 P90X Strength routines every M-W-F and on T and TH I do T25 cardio and row on the Concept 2, or ride 1.5 hrs on the MTB during DST. Weekends I usually do a 2 hour MTB ride if I am not riding the Moto. I dont race because I do not want to get hurt, I just enjoy riding moto again after a 30 year layoff. I do notice that the Vets are WAY FASTER than they were back when I was kid...I might try a race again in 2 years when I am 50 and have more time on the bike and these fast 50+ guys are a little older...

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

12/24/2015 11:07 AM

kaptkaos wrote:

I am 47 and do pretty much the same as many mentioned here.I eat clean and I do the 3 P90X Strength routines every M-W-F and on T and TH I do T25 cardio and row on the Concept 2, or ride 1.5 hrs on the MTB during DST. Weekends I usually do a 2 hour MTB ride if I am not riding the Moto. I dont race because I do not want to get hurt, I just enjoy riding moto again after a 30 year layoff. I do notice that the Vets are WAY FASTER than they were back when I was kid...I might try a race again in 2 years when I am 50 and have more time on the bike and these fast 50+ guys are a little older...

Wow, way to make an old guy feel shame!

|

12/24/2015 11:44 AM

63 here, eat clean, minimal alcohol , plenty of sleep and a good attitude. This winter I'm doing some City League Slalom Ski Racing and XC Skiing.

Looks like the weather will give us a break this weekend and I will go to Woodland Saturday on my way back from Seattle.

Below is my home workout setup.

Photo

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

12/24/2015 12:00 PM

Nice setup!

I use the same equipment too but I have some Bowflex adjustable Dumbells that I use for weights and I use bands on the door. Dropping the weight and cleaning up the diet has made a huge difference in my quality of life. I actually started getting in shape long before I ever thought of getting back into moto. Never drank or smoked, so that was not a problem, it was mostly the pizza, burgers, and ice cream and sedentary lifestyle that did me in. Only now after 5 years of training and MTB that I considered getting back on a bike after 30 years, and even so, it has humbled me and made me think that everything I have been doing.....is still not enough! Moto has gotten a lot more extreme than it was back in the 80's.

My 450 feels like it can yank my arms off at any given moment or toss me into a heaping sack of broken bones...the jumps are seriously big nowadays....

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

12/24/2015 12:23 PM

59 and still in the trenches doing construction work. (concrete and masonry). Occasional mtb rides and track ride at least once a week. 2stroke 250, a 450 and a KX500 conversion. Like to win for sure but really enjoy riding and beating up on some of my 28 yr. old sons riding buddies. Staying active is the key and stretching when time permits.

|

12/24/2015 2:57 PM

Really interesting reading all this guys, I'm 39 and have Asthma, have had various surgery here and there, pins and screws in wrist, worst was shoulder rotator and cuff repair, now looking at the same op for my right hip with impingement!, been trying a few different training ideas and have settled into a weights & eliptical combo, not hearing much about anyone else using an eliptical really?, I was using a treadmill but this brought on all my hip problems, wasn't the treadmill itself, just bad timing and the "knuckle' bone growth on my hip ball tore it all up in there but the damage was done, so this is why I chose, after some reading, an eliptical machine for some cardio, non impact. A rower for me was out as at full crunch up my impingement was a nightmare pain.

Anyways, going to try my best for 2016 racing until the operation date comes through!, good old NHS, Merry Xmas from the U.K. Dudes & keep up the good work!.

|

2020 Yamaha YZ 450
2014 KTM 250 SX / Full Ohlins

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.

12/24/2015 4:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2015 4:42 PM

I'm 57 three hip replacements I eat well and ride / race as much as I can. My speed isn't what it used to be and I'm good with that. I ride at about 75% speed and my focus is on throttle control and being fluid on the bike and riding within my limits. In my very humble opinion, there is no substitute for actual time on the bike. It makes us more proficient and less prone to making silly mistakes. Merry Chrismas & happy holidays.Pat

|

12/24/2015 6:06 PM

stretching/flexibility is paramount, prevents many injuries. Yoga, even beginner stuff is a workout and helps breathing as well.

|

12/26/2015 6:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2015 7:35 AM

I get it but I don't get it......throwing in the towel in mid life and just accepting "I'm going to be fat and out of shape" mentality.

I guess it how you're raised and the culture you live/believe in. I grew up in a very outdoor active area and seems like I've been training for one sport or another for my entire life. I worked as a trainer for both Golds and World gym and was a snow ski coach for 15 years.

I LOVE to train and eat clean (most of the time). The benefits far out weigh (to me) the work/trouble and suffering of that hard work. Racing bicycles (road/CX) off and on through much of my adult life, I thought I was "fit". The doctors thought I was really "fit" but in reality I was fit for racing bicycles, I had very little over-all fitness. I though play riding and an occasional MX race was enough.

Only when I started a much more well rounded approach did I realize just how crappy shape you can be in despite 100 mile/10,000' of climbing training rides! Additionally I found a life time of injuries and poor movement patterns had severely comprised my flexibility and mobility. I felt great in the "box" of my every day movement but couldn't move worth a shit outside that box.

That's all changed now., at almost 59 I've have vastly better mobility and overall functional strength than I've had since my early 40's.

I can't run as fast, jump as high, lift as much and ride as fast as I could when I was much younger but that doesn't mean I don't want to be the best I can today.

Slumped in a chair watching the TV while eating crap, not able to bend over and tie my shoes (or see my dick) because my gut is so big isn't for me. There is still SO much bad information about nutrition/fitness in the main stream it's amazing. I had a PT just last year tell me that "squatting with weight was bad for your knees" and then proceed to tell me you start a squat by "pushing your knees forward!" And the latest from the WHO that meat is like a cigarette....an observational study with no controls. Great info!

Stay fit, eat clean (most of the time) learn to move properly and you won't be "wearing out" like everyone else is. Hint: your feet are suppose to point FORWARD not out to the side like a duck. And people wonder why their knees hurt......

Or not, the choice is yours.

|

12/26/2015 6:32 AM

Part of our home gym.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

12/26/2015 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/26/2015 7:52 AM

I am NOT a doctor or trainer so results may vary but...
this is what worked for me...I'm 49 and eligible for the 50+ class this year.
5000 meters in about 24 minutes on a rowing machine 3 times a week plus 30 minutes on a low impact elliptical machine 3 times a week. Get your heart rate to around 150 but no more than that.
I've been doing that all year but unfortunately hadn't ridden a bike for 5 months. After 2, get comfortable on the bike, riding practices I went to Southwick a couple weeks ago and did 3 decent 23+ minute practice motos without any arm pump or breathing problems. It really surprised me.
Good luck.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

12/26/2015 7:58 AM

You can lose 130lbs and get faster by getting divorced.

|

12/26/2015 8:35 AM

Reefer Sutherland wrote:

You can lose 130lbs and get faster by getting divorced.

Ha

|

12/26/2015 8:41 AM

Spartacus wrote:

I get it but I don't get it......throwing in the towel in mid life and just accepting "I'm going to be fat and out of shape" mentality.

I guess it how you're raised and the culture you live/believe in. I grew up in a very outdoor active area and seems like I've been training for one sport or another for my entire life. I worked as a trainer for both Golds and World gym and was a snow ski coach for 15 years.

I LOVE to train and eat clean (most of the time). The benefits far out weigh (to me) the work/trouble and suffering of that hard work. Racing bicycles (road/CX) off and on through much of my adult life, I thought I was "fit". The doctors thought I was really "fit" but in reality I was fit for racing bicycles, I had very little over-all fitness. I though play riding and an occasional MX race was enough.

Only when I started a much more well rounded approach did I realize just how crappy shape you can be in despite 100 mile/10,000' of climbing training rides! Additionally I found a life time of injuries and poor movement patterns had severely comprised my flexibility and mobility. I felt great in the "box" of my every day movement but couldn't move worth a shit outside that box.

That's all changed now., at almost 59 I've have vastly better mobility and overall functional strength than I've had since my early 40's.

I can't run as fast, jump as high, lift as much and ride as fast as I could when I was much younger but that doesn't mean I don't want to be the best I can today.

Slumped in a chair watching the TV while eating crap, not able to bend over and tie my shoes (or see my dick) because my gut is so big isn't for me. There is still SO much bad information about nutrition/fitness in the main stream it's amazing. I had a PT just last year tell me that "squatting with weight was bad for your knees" and then proceed to tell me you start a squat by "pushing your knees forward!" And the latest from the WHO that meat is like a cigarette....an observational study with no controls. Great info!

Stay fit, eat clean (most of the time) learn to move properly and you won't be "wearing out" like everyone else is. Hint: your feet are suppose to point FORWARD not out to the side like a duck. And people wonder why their knees hurt......

Or not, the choice is yours.

Well said .I pretty much agree, I have been cross training all my life, could not stop if I wanted to, stress reliever for me, also creates confidence based on hard work, not arrogance. I never had much natural talent on the bike, what I have achieved has been from grinding away and never quitting. Nice gym, in the process of finishing up my new home gym. Debating what floor to use, I have thick rubber horse stall mats I"m trying out, bought at Tractor Supply, is that what you have on the floor? I"m concerned about the smell, my gym is in my finished basement, don't want a heavy rubber smell in my house....

|

12/26/2015 10:57 AM

I ride road and MTB a bunch. It works great because I don't really consider it exercise. I just like doing it. I can leave right from my house so I don't have to load up and go anywhere. This makes it easy to fit into a busy schedule. The best exercise is the exercise you will actually do. Consistent cardio is the number one important aspect of fitness as you get older. The truth is 90% of folks over 50 in the USA could do themselves a major favor by just walking a few laps around the block 3 times a week. No gym membership required.

For those of you that ride bike, if you are on Strava join the Vital club. https://www.strava.com/clubs/vitalmx

|

Powerband in every gear !

12/26/2015 11:44 AM

I'm 51 and the biggest hurdle is getting to ride enough with limited time and money.

Diet is critical, for sure. I just eat clean and balanced. Lots of water. No booze, ever.

The past six months I settled into something that has really worked well for me. I do three hard
days and then other days are light weights/recovery/yoga. The hard days are a 45 minute circuit class followed
by an hour spin class and then an hour yoga class. The third hard day is riding but that is the one
that is the hardest to fit in so it sometimes doesn't happen! sad Basically the gym routine gets me a solid
foundation but if I don't ride . . . well, as we know, nothing can replace seat time.

I've found the recovery takes longer as I've gotten older and this routine seems to work really well for me. If I add
another hard day in there, I find I just get too achey and cranky.

The yoga is something I've become much more diligent about the past year and I can't recommend it
enough. It's made a HUGE difference in how much better I fell. Personally, I don't go in for all the
spiritual blah blah, I'm just there for the physical side and it's been really great.

BTW, here's some things I do as well that have been super awesome for core, balance and focus.

Swiss ball ropes for motocross

Swiss ball woodchoppers for motocross (hi/lo and lo/hi)

SwissBall w/kettle bell stuff for motocross
|