Training Facilities...

Hi Side
2/28/2022 7:34am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2022 6:38pm
Are training facilities really beneficial for younger (11 year old) beginners? It seems like most facilities cater to the faster crowd and not necessarily a beginner. Those who have experience with training facilities please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
|
lumpy790
2/28/2022 7:43am
IMO Sending a beginner would be a huge wast of $$$ and huge risk of injury from far exceeding the riders natural ability.
Hi Side
2/28/2022 7:52am
lumpy790 wrote:
IMO Sending a beginner would be a huge wast of $$$ and huge risk of injury from far exceeding the riders natural ability.
I guess you're probably right. My thought is this, I want him to learn proper technique from the beginning. I'm not looking for him to gain next level speed right off the rip. I ingrained poor form in my riding as a beginner and I still fight some of those flaws 39 years later. I want his foundation to be sound as early as practical.
2/28/2022 7:54am
lumpy790 wrote:
Hi Side wrote:
I guess you're probably right. My thought is this, I want him to learn proper technique from the beginning. I'm not looking for him to gain...
I guess you're probably right. My thought is this, I want him to learn proper technique from the beginning. I'm not looking for him to gain next level speed right off the rip. I ingrained poor form in my riding as a beginner and I still fight some of those flaws 39 years later. I want his foundation to be sound as early as practical.
Do some classes or private sessions with local trainers. Training facilities are for kids wanting to take that next step and make it a career(for the most part).
lumpy790
2/28/2022 7:56am
I would find a local rider to train basics not a training facility.

The Shop

viking24
2/28/2022 8:10am
study the good riders from elite to local fast guys. Copy them in body position and line choices.
crowe660
Fantasy
3962nd
2/28/2022 8:22am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2022 8:25am
Send the kid to the facility. How fun would that be?! Who cares how fast he gets.

If my parents came here asking this question, I hope you guys would tell them the same.
LungButter
2/28/2022 8:23am
lumpy790 wrote:
I would find a local rider to train basics not a training facility.
Same.
2/28/2022 9:04am
viking24 wrote:
study the good riders from elite to local fast guys. Copy them in body position and line choices.

That is literally impossible for a beginner to do without some hands on help.
drivrswntd
2/28/2022 12:29pm
Hi Side wrote:
Are training facilities really beneficial for younger (11 year old) beginners? It seems like most facilities cater to the faster crowd and not necessarily a beginner...
Are training facilities really beneficial for younger (11 year old) beginners? It seems like most facilities cater to the faster crowd and not necessarily a beginner. Those who have experience with training facilities please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Going to chime in here as we just came back from training in NC for the first time.

2 kids 9 and 11 currently. Started riding in 2019. Have been racing moto since 2020. Up until now we have only done local training, sessions etc to work on form and technique. At the end of last season both kids were solid top 5 in there classes. Younger on 50's and daughter on 65's. Both quick but when the really fast top level kids showed up there lack of speed showed.

We decided at the end of the season last year how do we work on getting to that next level and starting asking around. Ended up going to Jimmy Weinert's for a week last week. We came in not knowing what to expect and it was a very intense week of training. Saw a very noticeable difference from the beginning of the week to the end.

In regards to your question about a beginner or fast crowd. From my experience I do feel that to be accurate. I feel you need to go in with a solid foundation of form and basics to really get the most out of the experience. They spent 4 hours one day working on wheel tapping a roller section. That is a more advanced technique and something I think may not be as helpful for a beginner or just starting out. The basic form with foot position, toes, balls of feet on pegs, elbows, head was mostly assumed and only adjusted and corrected here and there. The time spent was really on developing advanced technique and driving speed.

Hopefully you find that some what helpful. Feel free to PM and we can chat further if you'd like.
RoosDad
3/2/2022 1:59pm
I’ve taken my son to both Boomdiggity in MO and FCAMX camps here in Colorado. It looks like Michigan FCA camp is closest to you and the experience is awesome. Both camps will have multiple coaches from training facilities around the nation who work on a specific skill station each day while the kids rotate around. Some local pros may do age specific classes as others have mentioned.
JonM37
3/2/2022 3:14pm
You don’t have to go to a training facility. There are a lot of good local trainers. My son is not at a facility and was 6th at Loretta’s this year and second at mini o’s. He only trains on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon each week with Hannah Hodges. It can be done without sending your kid away or living at a training facility.
Braaaphole
3/2/2022 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2022 7:19pm
They are all different, it depends on the trainer. We have worked with most of the big name trainers you can think of. Some of them were great, some of them only focused on the elite kids in the group and gave my kid no real instruction at all.

That said, none of them were a waste of money and we always walked away with more knowledge. It's not anymore dangerous than going to your local track. Just tell your kid to not ride over his head. If there's a jump he's not comfortable with, don't hit it. Work on technique and bike control then the rest will come.

It's also not just your kid learning too. You get in there and listen as well. You'll pick up on things your kid is going to miss because they are getting flooded with a ton of new information. Learn it, retain it, so you can take it home with you and continue working on those things. I have hours and hours of go pro footage from trainers that we go back and reference.
I have pages of notes in my phone that I reference as well.

On top of all that, it's a different experience that your kid will enjoy. There will likely be some top Loretta's kid or maybe even a pro there he will get to hang out with for the day. You'll see a different level of commitment out there than you see at your local tracks.
Bradj70
3/3/2022 6:38pm
Is your kid a distracted learner or focused listener? You may do really well at a facility if your kid is determined and a focused listener! He will receive top instruction and be around top talent! Now if your kid is aloof a and seems to enjoy riding but not committed to a result or race specific goal you will probably do better facilitating at home drills or a local coach. Lastly pick a few facility you have In mind and contact them directly a good coach or facility will be upfront if your kid fits with their program. Ask your kid if he wants to get that focused on moto?

Post a reply to: Training Facilities...

The Latest