Trailer Vs Motovan

racerx217
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2019 4:52pm
Help me weight the options:
Right now we are looking between pulling a a 7x18 or a 8.5x20 with a 2018 Tundra, or purchasing a Promaster or similar. Family of 3 will have to be bunking in it for one night at a time, my son is only 8 though so that helps. With a van we would have the expense of the van which our budget would be 24k or less, the cost of insurance a month is like 80 bucks, yearly registration and possibly the cost of maintenance. With a trailer we are looking at enclosed trailers that are between 8k and 10k, Full coverage insurance on one is like 10 bucks a month, and we also would have more wear and tear on the truck and a lot more money in gas but will have more room. Unfortunately i am not interested in driving a van full time so it would be to the races/riding and sitting the rest of the time. So what way did you guys go and why?
|
1/19/2019 6:39pm
8.5 x 20 with electrical and roof A/C, 6" add'l height, 5,200lb axles, one piece aluminum roof , blackout package ....ready for you to put your personal touches on.

racerx217
1/19/2019 6:42pm
8.5 x 20 with electrical and roof A/C, 6" add'l height, 5,200lb axles, one piece aluminum roof , blackout package [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/19/319332/s1200_20_ac_inside_2.jpg[/img]....ready for you to put your...
8.5 x 20 with electrical and roof A/C, 6" add'l height, 5,200lb axles, one piece aluminum roof , blackout package ....ready for you to put your personal touches on.

That is very close to what we are looking at. What is the curb weight on it?
slowgti
1/19/2019 6:45pm
I would go with the trailer if it was me. A van with beds and shelving doesn't have very much room for anything else.
1/19/2019 6:46pm
You will find this interesting....I think you will be pleased with the curb weight and payload. At the lower end of your budget. $8,500 in Memphis TN

The Shop

racerx217
1/19/2019 6:52pm
You will find this interesting....I think you will be pleased with the curb weight and payload. At the lower end of your budget. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/19/319334/s1200_trailer_weights.jpg[/img]$8,500 in Memphis...
You will find this interesting....I think you will be pleased with the curb weight and payload. At the lower end of your budget. $8,500 in Memphis TN
Really dont need the A/C or ele, but want the 6" addition height, rv side door with screen, and 5200 lb axles are overkill. Trailer will never haul a quarter of that.
navalseabee
1/19/2019 6:57pm
I've done both, and I'd take the motovan all day over a truck and trailer.

7x16 all set up to camp in with bikes pulled out, towed with dodge cummins.

Ford transit for bikes, towing Winnebago small camper.

I got 14 mpg towing with the truck, I get 12 towing with the van, at current diesel prices that's a van win. Day trips I get 18 in the van with bikes in it, the truck and trailer got 14; another van win.

racerx217
1/19/2019 7:06pm
I've done both, and I'd take the motovan all day over a truck and trailer. 7x16 all set up to camp in with bikes pulled out...

I got 14 mpg towing with the truck, I get 12 towing with the van, at current diesel prices that's a van win. Day trips I get 18 in the van with bikes in it, the truck and trailer got 14; another van win.

do you make the van work as a daily driver or just pay for it as a 2nd vehicle?
navalseabee
1/19/2019 7:12pm
I've done both, and I'd take the motovan all day over a truck and trailer. 7x16 all set up to camp in with bikes pulled out...

racerx217 wrote:
Were daily driving it as of right now, it's really not that bad mpg is around 16 in town. I hijacked her car because her commute is far less than mine so shes in the van, 6 month plan is to grab a cheap car for me and park the van. Insurance is a hair more than what my truck was but the van is far cheaper to drive and maintain.
racerx217
1/19/2019 7:31pm

racerx217 wrote:
Were daily driving it as of right now, it's really not that bad mpg is around 16 in town. I hijacked her car because her commute...
Were daily driving it as of right now, it's really not that bad mpg is around 16 in town. I hijacked her car because her commute is far less than mine so shes in the van, 6 month plan is to grab a cheap car for me and park the van. Insurance is a hair more than what my truck was but the van is far cheaper to drive and maintain.
Yeah thats the hard part i dont want it as a daily driver and just trying to justify the money for something that i prob will drive 5-6k miles a year.
crusher773
1/19/2019 8:28pm
8.5 x 20 with electrical and roof A/C, 6" add'l height, 5,200lb axles, one piece aluminum roof , blackout package [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/19/319332/s1200_20_ac_inside_2.jpg[/img]....ready for you to put your...

That's not too shabby. That is just about exactly what I was looking at having built same brand and all and going to Georgia to get it. I was going to have a few variations so I'll have to get with you when I get closer to getting one.
Pirate421
1/19/2019 9:04pm
I have a 6x10 enclosed wells cargo and it’s been great. If I was going to camp in it I may have gone 6x12 or 7x14 at the largest but I have plenty of room for 2-3 bikes and a ton of gear and could throw a couple cots in it. I would recommend getting it wired if you go the trailer route because electric makes a big difference for lights or tools and phones. Mine cost $3k brand new and I’ve had it for 5 years and it hasn’t cost me anything since the day I bought it. Another plus is it can double as a shed or Mobil storage unit. Van would be nice but not feasible for our family.
Oldschool
1/19/2019 9:35pm
I did the maxi van forever
Loved it
These days after borrowing my neighbors trailer once, were looking at trailers on craig....
cody41
1/20/2019 4:53am
I would go the van route unless you don’t mind hauling the trailer around. That’s a pretty big trailer so you could furnish it nicely. I have a e250 for moto and use a Mazda 3 as a daily driver and wouldn’t want anything else.
navalseabee
1/20/2019 5:46am
racerx217 wrote:
Yeah thats the hard part i dont want it as a daily driver and just trying to justify the money for something that i prob will...
Yeah thats the hard part i dont want it as a daily driver and just trying to justify the money for something that i prob will drive 5-6k miles a year.
I'd say your prime candidate for a trailer then. My trailer setup was great for the 2 years and probably 30k miles we towed it around. I think it all comes down to personal preference & needs either way you'll probably be happy, anything beats using just a pickup truck.
clayburns28
1/20/2019 7:14am
I have both setups currently. If I’m going for a quick day ride or wanting to do a long trip with buddy’s I use the van. If I going racing locally I use the trailer and tahoe combo. When I go on multiple day rides with family hook the motor home to the trailer. I like the van setup the best as it is way more convenient for me, easier to drive and better gas mileage.
Walter
1/20/2019 7:23am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 9:06am
Trailers do not depreciate as fast as a van (or any motor vehicle) does (unless you be used and buy smart), insurance is way less, & maintenance is less for a trailer.

Annual registration fees for a van, in AZ one small lifetime registration for a trailer.

If you do not drive the van daily as your car, that is a pricey asset just sitting, needing to be fed, and depreciating.

I used a van years ago, but it was my daily commuter (E150 Ford van with a 6 cyl, not a large motovan). It worked really well for me.

Look at your lifestyle and run the numbers...
walent215
1/20/2019 7:57am
racerx217 wrote:
Help me weight the options: Right now we are looking between pulling a a 7x18 or a 8.5x20 with a 2018 Tundra, or purchasing a Promaster...
Help me weight the options:
Right now we are looking between pulling a a 7x18 or a 8.5x20 with a 2018 Tundra, or purchasing a Promaster or similar. Family of 3 will have to be bunking in it for one night at a time, my son is only 8 though so that helps. With a van we would have the expense of the van which our budget would be 24k or less, the cost of insurance a month is like 80 bucks, yearly registration and possibly the cost of maintenance. With a trailer we are looking at enclosed trailers that are between 8k and 10k, Full coverage insurance on one is like 10 bucks a month, and we also would have more wear and tear on the truck and a lot more money in gas but will have more room. Unfortunately i am not interested in driving a van full time so it would be to the races/riding and sitting the rest of the time. So what way did you guys go and why?
After owning a full size toyhauler, (28'), Travel trailers, enclosed trailers, open trailers and lastly ,an extended 98 gmc savanna 3500 motovan , without a doubt the VAN! I paid $3500ish for it and put a ton of miles on it driving to the races out of state etc....it had like 183k when we bought it and roughly 210k when we sold it ...got like 3k for it. Given the low cost of ownership, decent mileage (14 mpg hiway), comfort, security etc it's a no brainer for me!! These older Van's , Ford or Chevy are very reliable and once setup right are just awesome! I recommend taking your time thinking this one through and would not rule out a used van for your needs. Our 3k van was very comfortable and reliable for my family of 4!!! Wish you the best in your plans bud!
KDXGarage
1/20/2019 8:57am
If I may throw out a suggestion, when purchasing a new trailer, consider that you might seek to sell it at some point. Someone else looking to spend thousands of dollars on a used trailer may expect it to include certain functions. You mentioned the scale and the electrical worrying, for example.
JBecker 72
1/20/2019 9:08am
I want to get a trailer like my friends (the Tundra is mine). 7x14 V nose and it’s all aluminum so very light. Something like 1600 pounds empty and 160 pounds tongue weight. Tows behind a half ton really well. I’ve pulled it through the hills of PA a couple times and you barely notice it.

A van would be more ideal for a Moto hauler, but if I’m getting a second vehicle it’s gonna be a Civic or Corolla so I can park the truck during the week. I still need the truck enough that a van couldn’t replace it. I MUST have 4x4 and no way am I forking over the money on a Quigley.

racerx217
1/20/2019 5:47pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I want to get a trailer like my friends (the Tundra is mine). 7x14 V nose and it’s all aluminum so very light. Something like 1600...
I want to get a trailer like my friends (the Tundra is mine). 7x14 V nose and it’s all aluminum so very light. Something like 1600 pounds empty and 160 pounds tongue weight. Tows behind a half ton really well. I’ve pulled it through the hills of PA a couple times and you barely notice it.

A van would be more ideal for a Moto hauler, but if I’m getting a second vehicle it’s gonna be a Civic or Corolla so I can park the truck during the week. I still need the truck enough that a van couldn’t replace it. I MUST have 4x4 and no way am I forking over the money on a Quigley.

What kind of mpg is he getting with that setup? is going to look just like mine except i have a crew cab. Pulled the trigger last night on a 7x16 turns out I have a connection that got me one factory direct. So if it does not work out ill just sell it and go the van route.
MotoChris
1/20/2019 6:02pm
You will find this interesting....I think you will be pleased with the curb weight and payload. At the lower end of your budget. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/19/319334/s1200_trailer_weights.jpg[/img]$8,500 in Memphis...
Hey Deal Bros, how much for a 7x14 (14 including the v-nose) white trailer with blackout and a ramp door?
Gilby122
1/20/2019 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 6:58pm
I had a 8.5x20. Too much to haul around. Sold it and bought a Promaster (sold that to natester on the bazaar couple months ago) and just picked up a 7x16. They each have their advantages.

For me, the van is an expense like you said. Maintenance, insurance, etc. For a ‘want.’ I didn’t want to justify it any more. I opted to pay cash for the trailer, build it out myself, and run it. The van was cool to have it all in one spot, but I hated having to unload it and load it over and over. My wife couldn’t leave the track and go shopping while I practiced or whatever. You’re stuck where the van is. With the trailer, I can leave it at the track and run to eat or go get gas or whatever without having to repack everything.

For me, the trailer makes more overall sense than the van, even though that van was bad ass. More room, less expensive, and convenient.
rohleder644
1/20/2019 7:03pm
Gilby122 wrote:
I had a 8.5x20. Too much to haul around. Sold it and bought a Promaster (sold that to natester on the bazaar couple months ago) and...
I had a 8.5x20. Too much to haul around. Sold it and bought a Promaster (sold that to natester on the bazaar couple months ago) and just picked up a 7x16. They each have their advantages.

For me, the van is an expense like you said. Maintenance, insurance, etc. For a ‘want.’ I didn’t want to justify it any more. I opted to pay cash for the trailer, build it out myself, and run it. The van was cool to have it all in one spot, but I hated having to unload it and load it over and over. My wife couldn’t leave the track and go shopping while I practiced or whatever. You’re stuck where the van is. With the trailer, I can leave it at the track and run to eat or go get gas or whatever without having to repack everything.

For me, the trailer makes more overall sense than the van, even though that van was bad ass. More room, less expensive, and convenient.
There's a certain "cool" factor to a moto van. Though, once you get past that, a trailer is superior for every reason Gilby listed.
JBecker 72
1/20/2019 7:05pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I want to get a trailer like my friends (the Tundra is mine). 7x14 V nose and it’s all aluminum so very light. Something like 1600...

racerx217 wrote:
What kind of mpg is he getting with that setup? is going to look just like mine except i have a crew cab. Pulled the trigger...
What kind of mpg is he getting with that setup? is going to look just like mine except i have a crew cab. Pulled the trigger last night on a 7x16 turns out I have a connection that got me one factory direct. So if it does not work out ill just sell it and go the van route.
That’s my truck and I got about 11 mpg towing like that.
racerx217
1/20/2019 7:16pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

racerx217 wrote:
What kind of mpg is he getting with that setup? is going to look just like mine except i have a crew cab. Pulled the trigger...
JBecker 72 wrote:
That’s my truck and I got about 11 mpg towing like that.
thats not bad at all, i was hoping for 8+ and it looks like you are more weighed down than ill be.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/22/2019 11:39am
I am a van guy all the way. I also have a trailer and will pull it with the van depending on where I am going and what I am bringing, but you cant beat a van when you go riding. I don't use the van except to go play Cool
1/27/2019 11:43am
Working on a Moto Van now, and I have a feeling if another kid starts riding I'll need a Moto Van and a trailer. We shall see.I love the van though for quick daily rides.

ob
1/27/2019 4:04pm
God trailers are gay! ?
racerx217
1/29/2019 8:41am
Wound up buying a cheap 7x16, got it right from the manufacture cheap so if it does not work out ill be able to sell it and not take a loss. Figured why not try since i got a deal. Will have more room for sure. Either way better than the previous setup.

Post a reply to: Trailer Vs Motovan

The Latest