Trail riding recomendations for Montrose, CO area?

Manco
Edited Date/Time 9/4/2017 6:52am
I am planning to do some riding in the Montrose Colorado area and am looking for trail recommendations. Already planning to hit Peach Valley OHV area and Sidewinder trail. Anyone have recommendations for which trails are more technical and/or rocky around the area?

|
JWACK
9/3/2017 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 7:34pm
The ouray/silverton area is awesome for trails. I really like the imogene pass and black bear trails. Imogene is bad ass. Not extremely technical by any means but the views are spectacular.
Manco
9/3/2017 8:18pm
JWACK wrote:
The ouray/silverton area is awesome for trails. I really like the imogene pass and black bear trails. Imogene is bad ass. Not extremely technical by any...
The ouray/silverton area is awesome for trails. I really like the imogene pass and black bear trails. Imogene is bad ass. Not extremely technical by any means but the views are spectacular.
I wish I could head down there. Its gonna be thunderstorms all weekend though. I had originally planed for being in Rico area. With the storms socking that area in I will be further north right outside of Montrose in the Gunnison Gorge NCA area. Weather is supposed to be nice up by Montrose luckily. I haven't ridden Montrose before so scrambling to put routes together.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
9/3/2017 10:44pm
You never know what the weather is really going to do, so keep your hopes up! Have you seen the Calico trail outside of Rico? Holy moly!!!
Manco
9/3/2017 11:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2017 11:52pm
disbanded wrote:
You never know what the weather is really going to do, so keep your hopes up! Have you seen the Calico trail outside of Rico? Holy...
You never know what the weather is really going to do, so keep your hopes up! Have you seen the Calico trail outside of Rico? Holy moly!!!
Yes I have seen the Calico trail system. I about crapped my pants the first time I saw it in 3d on Google earth. I have been trying to get out there the past few years since. Had the trip planned 3-4 times now. Every time BS gets in the way. Finally put my foot down and was ready to go next weekend then the dang weather report came in. Its all rain and lightening during my days I had planned hence deferring to Montrose instead.

The Calico trail system is the Holy Grail of high alpine single track. No one knows about it these days. Every time I've brought it up with others they look at me like I am nuts to go there as no one knows what is out there. Its insane. Its mostly all up or down steep gnarly rocky singletrack in the trees. Once on top its rolling singletrack with crazy exposure in some areas. Its all black or double black rated.

If you look into the moto lore of the area its wild. Crazy videos are up on youtube showing how radical it is. There is a write up on some forum somewhere too about a guy that was riding there and fell off the edge of a trail on a cliff. He and the bike tumbled a long ways down and he broke a bunch of bones and couldn't get out. Luckily a passing group of riders heard the dude screaming for help. The riders arranged an evac and the dude lived. He never went back for his bike. Trail maintenance crews disassembled the bike and drug it out over the course of a few years.

Crazy thing about the area is Rico the town hates motorcyclists with a passion. The town website doesn't mention anything about riding and only talks about hunting. All Rico wants is hunters to come to town and spend money at the resorts. Even though motorcyclists have been riding there for decades without a problem big money hunters decided they wanted the forest all to themselves several years ago. Rico got behind the hunters and a bunch of big wigs in the area tried to shut down the area to riding. There were lawsuits going on with the NFS for a while. Luckily in the end everything blew over because the haters didn't have a case. The whole debacle is written up in the local newspaper articles online. When I finally make it out there I am not gonna spend a nickle in Rico as protest. If they don't want us riding there to the point of suing the NFS to try and get riding shutdown they ain't getting my money. All they are gonna get from me is muh BRAAAAAAAAAP!

The Shop

Manco
9/4/2017 12:02am
I undated my original post above with a map of the Peach Valley area I am planning to ride in Montrose. Hoping someone can steer me to the good stuff. So many trails out there its hard to sort them out with just google earth.
FI2T
9/4/2017 12:26am
JWACK wrote:
The ouray/silverton area is awesome for trails. I really like the imogene pass and black bear trails. Imogene is bad ass. Not extremely technical by any...
We were just in Silverton last weekend. Great views but wasn't real impressed with the trails that we went on. Lost trail was the only single track we found (really fun). Most of the other trails we did were gravel roads or utv/atv trails. Cool place to explore though, we got into some crazy old mines. We were all rookies there hopefully we just missed the fun trails.

hellion
9/4/2017 5:06am
The Silverton area, while stunningly beautiful, offers very little singletrack unless you poach the hiking trails. The BLM has closed off most of the area to anything but hiking.

No matter, the rest of Colorado is full of great riding. Do some research, the trip reports on KTM talk is a good place to start. You'll have to dig a little as most people aren't sharing trail info freely any more. If you go to Taylor Park you'll see why. What used to be a great trail riding location has been over run by quads and side by sides at the lower elevations. But, you can still find good stuff up high there, and you can still ride your unplated dirt bike right into Aspen and be welcomed by the locals. Try that here in New England!
JWACK
9/4/2017 6:52am
JWACK wrote:
FI2T wrote:
We were just in Silverton last weekend. Great views but wasn't real impressed with the trails that we went on. Lost trail was the only single...
We were just in Silverton last weekend. Great views but wasn't real impressed with the trails that we went on. Lost trail was the only single track we found (really fun). Most of the other trails we did were gravel roads or utv/atv trails. Cool place to explore though, we got into some crazy old mines. We were all rookies there hopefully we just missed the fun trails.

Nice! I haven't been back up there in a few years but next summer I'm going to bring my 5 year old for the first time! Your correct it's not tight single track stuff in that area for the most part. But still It's tough not to enjoy the ride with views like that everywhere. I really enjoy exploring the old mining stuff along the way.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
9/4/2017 8:59am
Manco wrote:
Yes I have seen the Calico trail system. I about crapped my pants the first time I saw it in 3d on Google earth. I have...
Yes I have seen the Calico trail system. I about crapped my pants the first time I saw it in 3d on Google earth. I have been trying to get out there the past few years since. Had the trip planned 3-4 times now. Every time BS gets in the way. Finally put my foot down and was ready to go next weekend then the dang weather report came in. Its all rain and lightening during my days I had planned hence deferring to Montrose instead.

The Calico trail system is the Holy Grail of high alpine single track. No one knows about it these days. Every time I've brought it up with others they look at me like I am nuts to go there as no one knows what is out there. Its insane. Its mostly all up or down steep gnarly rocky singletrack in the trees. Once on top its rolling singletrack with crazy exposure in some areas. Its all black or double black rated.

If you look into the moto lore of the area its wild. Crazy videos are up on youtube showing how radical it is. There is a write up on some forum somewhere too about a guy that was riding there and fell off the edge of a trail on a cliff. He and the bike tumbled a long ways down and he broke a bunch of bones and couldn't get out. Luckily a passing group of riders heard the dude screaming for help. The riders arranged an evac and the dude lived. He never went back for his bike. Trail maintenance crews disassembled the bike and drug it out over the course of a few years.

Crazy thing about the area is Rico the town hates motorcyclists with a passion. The town website doesn't mention anything about riding and only talks about hunting. All Rico wants is hunters to come to town and spend money at the resorts. Even though motorcyclists have been riding there for decades without a problem big money hunters decided they wanted the forest all to themselves several years ago. Rico got behind the hunters and a bunch of big wigs in the area tried to shut down the area to riding. There were lawsuits going on with the NFS for a while. Luckily in the end everything blew over because the haters didn't have a case. The whole debacle is written up in the local newspaper articles online. When I finally make it out there I am not gonna spend a nickle in Rico as protest. If they don't want us riding there to the point of suing the NFS to try and get riding shutdown they ain't getting my money. All they are gonna get from me is muh BRAAAAAAAAAP!
That's wild, I didn't know any of the story behind those trails.

I personally don't ride too much single track on the KLR, but I go high elevation adventure riding every weekend.

You come across all kinds of wild stuff above the treeline... Hope your trip works out!!!

FI2T
9/4/2017 1:18pm
JWACK wrote:
FI2T wrote:
We were just in Silverton last weekend. Great views but wasn't real impressed with the trails that we went on. Lost trail was the only single...

JWACK wrote:
Nice! I haven't been back up there in a few years but next summer I'm going to bring my 5 year old for the first time...
Nice! I haven't been back up there in a few years but next summer I'm going to bring my 5 year old for the first time! Your correct it's not tight single track stuff in that area for the most part. But still It's tough not to enjoy the ride with views like that everywhere. I really enjoy exploring the old mining stuff along the way.
Some of the atv trails were fun. I will bring my family back there as well. We crawled into a mine that had a bathroom with a bath tub, meeting or lunch room and a office. We had a great time, it's just a bummer they can't open up a few more routes for bike's. Silverton seems like it would be non existant without off roading.
Sorry to thread jack Manco, wish I had some info on the Montrose area. Let us know how it goes!

Post a reply to: Trail riding recomendations for Montrose, CO area?

The Latest