Trail communication

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2018 1:58 PM

Anyone try using 2 way radio while out riding with buddies?
I think it'd be fun to have some smack talk going on while riding, and would also be quite useful when one rider gets stuck behind.
What options are there besides the units you see for road riding?

|

6/13/2018 2:04 PM

this is what i use, i have a cheap ear piece that goes around my ear and out. i hook the hand-set to my back-pack or vest. never used it for moto, but it's awesome on long adventure rides, especially when there is oncoming traffic you can warn your group. they are a must in my snowmobiling groups as well.

in Baja they use much bigger and badder setups with mouth pieces and push-to-talk on the bars, etc. i used my setup with theirs last time and had no problems.

https://backcountryaccess.com/product/two-way-radios-bc-link/
Photo

|

6/13/2018 2:25 PM

Sena 10

have a few clamp kits for different helmets and just swap the headset over.

|

6/13/2018 3:07 PM

The BCA link works great summer or winter. The Sena kits are really good too. Probably hard to "smack" talk while riding because the engine noise is hard to hear and or talk over. They are great to stop and say "where you at?" or if you get separated find out what is going on, but not so much to whisper sweet nothings to your buddy while blasting down the trail.

|

6/13/2018 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 5:35 PM

|

6/13/2018 3:32 PM

What do you guys use Xeno?

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

6/13/2018 4:25 PM

Baofeng is a cheap effective route. The name sounds funny also, so we find ourselves blurting it out loud randomly around camp.

I would like to try the Sena 10 though. Lots of write ups on this over at ADV rider

|

6/13/2018 6:39 PM

I have a neat Bluetooth helmet setup that can Pair with other units. Can also take phone calls and listen to music while riding.

|

6/13/2018 10:07 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

What do you guys use Xeno?

We use Vertex Standard handheld radios that are hardwired to helmet kits from PCI Race Radios.
I attached the push-to-talk button near the shoulder cup on my chest protector. So I reach up with my left hand to push the talk button.
We just did a Baja ride and I was the designated sweep rider so I used the radio probably once or twice an hour to talk to the trail boss and the chase truck.
Radios are definitely good for safety and organization. But honestly I only wear one when I have to because I like to be alone with my thoughts when I’m out riding- that’s how I clear my head. Also the helmet speakers press against my ears and that gets slightly painful after 10 hours grin

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

6/13/2018 10:44 PM

I did a 5-day adventure bike ride down in Baja last November with Todd Huffman, Simon Cudby, TC Corbitt, Scott Cox and some other industry whackjobs...we used Cardo Scala Rider Packtalk headsets. You can have up to nine riders linked in and they work pretty good. The range is a mile between riders, five miles total. We found that having line of sight was helpful in maintaining the connection. Check them out.

|