Trail carrying tools, what say you?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2020 5:43 PM

What tools, spare bits and 1st aid do you guys generally carry while riding the trails? Pics would be helpful.

|

12/23/2020 5:52 PM

Set of cheap metric end wrenches, combo flat and Phillips screwdriver, hex key set, smaller Channellocks, spark plug wrench, leatherman, some JB weld that has probably dried up, zip ties, and extra spark plugs. Small first aid kit with band aids and basic wound cleaning/disenfectant stuff. All in a Klim toolpack. I’ve ended up using it on quick car/truck fixes more than getting a bike back on trail.

|

12/23/2020 5:58 PM

About 2' of baleing wire, and about 2' of duct tape should get you back to the truck if you are handy.

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

12/23/2020 6:03 PM

In all seriousness, blue loctite everything that might come lose, and end your day. Safety wire what you can.

Is this a "trail ride" or are you carrying extra gas for a marathon?

|

Go for it! Don't let a little thing like fear, or common sense hold you back.

12/23/2020 6:42 PM

I ride with this on longer rides...it came as advertised and has saved me a time or two on the trail. Xeno here on vital hooked me up.

https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/jcr-johnny-campbell-replica-tool-kit/

|

12/23/2020 8:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2020 12:07 PM

Extra plug, plug wrench, 8,10,12 mm sockets. T- handle, zip ties, razor, knife, magnesium fire starter (yes I’ve been stranded over night). Small flat head and Phillips screw drivers. Small crescent. Small zip lock baggie with miscellaneous sized bolts, extra master link, screws and washers. Head lamp.
Acerbis makes a decent fender bag. In my camel back I just fill it with water, and snacks.
Zip tie the zippers closed. I’ve had bags come open during very long rides.
Photo

|

12/23/2020 8:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2020 8:14 PM

Harbor freight 8,10,12 wrench’s, plyers, zip ties, duck tape, spark plug, lighter, leather man all in a crown royal bag in my camal back...

|

12/23/2020 10:28 PM

Following...

|

12/23/2020 11:04 PM

I always carried a selection of nuts, bolts and washers. There are some things that zip ties and duct tape can't fix.

|

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

12/24/2020 12:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2020 1:07 AM

I use this Klim Arsenal Vest. I really like it as it allows you to access tools in the front without having to undo your pack if you only had tools in your back pack.

Purchased some stubby wrenches from harbor freight that I keep in the upper top pocket. I was having some rear brake issues on a recent ride as my fluid was toast. Had to stop and make adjustments about 5 times through the day.
You wouldn't believe how much easier it was being able to access tools and I was done in a matter of minutes.

I also have a front fender pack that I keep a 21" tube as that will work on both wheels.

Be sure to safety wire the pack, zip ties don't work believe me I learned the hard way.
|

12/24/2020 1:16 AM

Maintain your bike at home so you don’t need to on the trail. Most of the time, my rides are close enough to civilization and riding with other bro’s that packing anything more than some zip ties and a combo tool are rarely needed.

First aid and toilet paper tho.... athletic tape is the human version of duct tape.

|

12/24/2020 1:40 AM

Just some combo tools and Advil.

|

12/24/2020 8:21 AM

G-man wrote:

I use this Klim Arsenal Vest. I really like it as it allows you to access tools in the front without having to undo your pack if you only had tools in your back pack.

Purchased some stubby wrenches from harbor freight that I keep in the upper top pocket. I was having some rear brake issues on a recent ride as my fluid was toast. Had to stop and make adjustments about 5 times through the day.
You wouldn't believe how much easier it was being able to access tools and I was done in a matter of minutes.

I also have a front fender pack that I keep a 21" tube as that will work on both wheels.

Be sure to safety wire the pack, zip ties don't work believe me I learned the hard way.

I carry a knife for cutting the zip ties lol. But, that’s kinda funny.

|

12/24/2020 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2020 9:15 AM

Titan1 wrote:

I ride with this on longer rides...it came as advertised and has saved me a time or two on the trail. Xeno here on vital hooked me up.

That’s so awesome! I’ll be ordering one up now. There’s few people more qualified to tell you exactly what you NEED to pack to get you back to the truck. Now Xeno, whip me up a JCR replica track day toolbox with them fancy foam cut outs and I’ll order one of them too.

I’d also love to see exactly what the hard enduro guys are carrying on them. Perfect environment to destroy everything under the sun, yet you need to stay light enough to perform. I’ve seen a look in to Sherco’s set up, but it’d be cool to see more.

|

12/24/2020 9:29 AM

AxlBundy wrote:

Maintain your bike at home so you don’t need to on the trail. Most of the time, my rides are close enough to civilization and riding with other bro’s that packing anything more than some zip ties and a combo tool are rarely needed.

First aid and toilet paper tho.... athletic tape is the human version of duct tape.

So what if something breaks that wasn’t from lack of maintenance?

What if you ride far from civilization and don’t have bros?

I pack a very similar set up to what Titan posted. If I was in the market to start fresh I’d just order one of those and be done with it.

|

12/24/2020 9:45 AM

Titan1 wrote:

rohleder644 wrote:

That’s so awesome! I’ll be ordering one up now. There’s few people more qualified to tell you exactly what you NEED to pack to get you back to the truck. Now Xeno, whip me up a JCR replica track day toolbox with them fancy foam cut outs and I’ll order one of them too.

I’d also love to see exactly what the hard enduro guys are carrying on them. Perfect environment to destroy everything under the sun, yet you need to stay light enough to perform. I’ve seen a look in to Sherco’s set up, but it’d be cool to see more.

Seriously its one of my best purchases...sure, I could have saved some money and bought the tools separately, but having it delivered to my door ready to go was worth it. Plus it had a bunch of stuff in there that I never even would have thought of.

I bought it when I was on a Kawi and bought the kawi kit...now I'm on a Yamaha and they sold me the axel wrench/tire iron that fits the yamaha (I left the Kawi one in the pack for an extra tire iron, and in case I'm riding with someone that needed it...it's light, I don't even notice).

Great product!

|

12/24/2020 9:47 AM

A version of the JCR kit with:
2 ASV tool-handles(2” & 3”) that has 1/4 drive heads on it.
A shortt length of chain.
Various fastened that’re known to fall out of certain bikes or get stripped.
Compact 1st Aid Kit (in pocket of riding jacket)
4 Motion Pro Al lever-wrenches that fit most axle-nuts.
Sometimes a model 26 (in the Mountains between Redding & the coast where there are “grows”)

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/24/2020 9:48 AM

AxlBundy wrote:

You never crash and break anything?

I ripped off the chain guide on a rock once...nothing I could have done at home to prevent that.

There are a million things riding that could go wrong that have nothing to do with proper bike maintenance.

|

12/24/2020 10:46 AM

AxlBundy wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

I ripped off the chain guide on a rock once...nothing I could have done at home to prevent that.

There are a million things riding that could go wrong that have nothing to do with proper bike maintenance.

And there's a very simple rule...

Chance favors the prepared.

grin

|

12/24/2020 11:13 AM

I run a poor college kid kit still. Safety wire, nice multi-tool, my ktm wrench, set of torx bits, and a lighter. Medical wise I have a 2 person "day pack" I got from REI. Has butterfly stiches, bandaids, small burn kit, sanatizing wipes.

|

12/24/2020 11:15 AM

skeef wrote:

I run a poor college kid kit still. Safety wire, nice multi-tool, my ktm wrench, set of torx bits, and a lighter. Medical wise I have a 2 person "day pack" I got from REI. Has butterfly stiches, bandaids, small burn kit, sanatizing wipes.

My sanitizing wipes say “United Airlines” on’em...got a stash on a flt last week!

|

12/24/2020 11:18 AM

skeef wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

My sanitizing wipes say “United Airlines” on’em...got a stash on a flt last week!

Mine say KFC, there was one next to my dorm. I should probably throw some honey packs in my kit too.

|

12/24/2020 11:21 AM

skeef wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

skeef wrote:

Mine say KFC, there was one next to my dorm. I should probably throw some honey packs in my kit too.

Hot Sauce, too.
I heard it kills The Virus!
cheerful

|

12/24/2020 11:48 AM

For tool bags, i have 2:
1) Giant Loop rear fender bag
2) Klim water pack with tool storage

Typical tools:
Chain link breaker & spare master link
Common sockets & ratchet
Flat Head
Spark plug & socket
Small strap incase bike gets stranded, can pull it with another

At the truck, i'll keep fluids and some more tools. Most rides aren't more than a 20 mile loop with cut out options so typically don't feel the need to carry more than is need for simple issues, and anything further i'll tow the bike to the main road and pick the bike up. 95% of the time, i ride with my wife so always an out option to get help.

|

12/24/2020 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2020 1:44 PM

Ordinarily we don't ride too far into the unknown, but there are occasions where we go that vehicle rescue accessibility is almost impossible---especially in the mountains.

I posed the same question to my buddies and here is what one carries. In a Klim back fanny.

-aluminum tire irons
- 1/4” ratchet w/ long and short extension 7mm,8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm sockets
- small channel locks
- socket screwdriver with all the little bits inside
- 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17mm shorty wrenches
- assortment of metric nuts, bolts and washers
- duct tape
- Teflon tape
- jb weld
- safety wire
- zip ties
- shorty Allen wrenches
- CO2 cartridges and co2 pump
- water proof pill capsule with Aleve, aspirin, muscle relaxer and pain meds
- survey ribbon
- $50 in $10 bills
- registration
- condom (optional but recommended)
-weasel seamen.

|

12/24/2020 12:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2020 12:36 PM

What everyone has said + Tow rope. You can wrap it around the bars.

|

12/24/2020 1:02 PM

WhipMeister wrote:

What everyone has said + Tow rope. You can wrap it around the bars.

It also works to wrap it around the foot pegs...

|

12/24/2020 1:04 PM

AxlBundy wrote:

Titan1 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:

And there's a very simple rule...

Chance favors the prepared.

grin

Very true....but another rule is that things break when the rubber side doesn’t stay down...

|

12/24/2020 1:11 PM

What are these trails you speak of? If can’t see my truck at least once a lap, I get nervous...

|

12/24/2020 3:25 PM

omalley wrote:

What are these trails you speak of? If can’t see my truck at least once a lap, I get nervous...

These trails we speak of are often referred to as “heaven”. 😁

|