Tracks near Boise for beginner

doodle
My first post, hope it’s in the right place.

I’m new to the Boise area and MX, but not motorcycles. I did just get a 2020 YZ250X and am hoping to get into some MX riding near Boise. Looking for tips on the best place to break into it in the area and general tips for getting started. Maybe some references for groups to join, general useful info will be much appreciated along with specifics for jetting, suspension, bike setup etc. I’m 30 yrs old, 5’10, 180 lbs. decent enough shape...I expect the suspension to be just about right for my weight/ability. Maybe harsh at first but I expect that I’ll grow into it as my skill gets better.

Some personal background for reference:
I’ve done 30k+ miles on street bikes (FJ-09, R6, CBR600) and some 1.5k miles of desert/woods riding on a KTM 250 XC-W in the Reno/Tahoe area. I got rid of the K to get the FJ09, but that was a mistake and I’m stoked to be back on dirt this year. I have all the safety gear and have watched some YouTube vids on technique, body positioning, etc, all easier said than done of course, but I feel like (hope) the combination of my street riding, trail/desert riding, and dh mtb will help me pick things up fast.

Thanks for any advice in advance, and happy new year!
|
Broseph
12/29/2019 7:54am
doodle wrote:
My first post, hope it’s in the right place. I’m new to the Boise area and MX, but not motorcycles. I did just get a 2020...

I’m new to the Boise area and MX, but not motorcycles. I did just get a 2020 YZ250X and am hoping to get into some MX riding near Boise. Looking for tips on the best place to break into it in the area and general tips for getting started. Maybe some references for groups to join, general useful info will be much appreciated along with specifics for jetting, suspension, bike setup etc. I’m 30 yrs old, 5’10, 180 lbs. decent enough shape...I expect the suspension to be just about right for my weight/ability. Maybe harsh at first but I expect that I’ll grow into it as my skill gets better.

I’ve done 30k+ miles on street bikes (FJ-09, R6, CBR600) and some 1.5k miles of desert/woods riding on a KTM 250 XC-W in the Reno/Tahoe area. I got rid of the K to get the FJ09, but that was a mistake and I’m stoked to be back on dirt this year. I have all the safety gear and have watched some YouTube vids on technique, body positioning, etc, all easier said than done of course, but I feel like (hope) the combination of my street riding, trail/desert riding, and dh mtb will help me pick things up fast.

I’m somewhat familiar with the area. If you want to ride a track, there’s Skyline and OMC. If you’re looking for offroad, cruise out to Hemmingway Butte in the winter or Black’s Cr in the summer. Best way to make riding buddies is to talk to people out on the trail or staging area.

What made you move to Idaho?
endurox
12/29/2019 8:39am
TVTMA is a great off road club. They have meetings once a month. OMC also has an endurocross and trials area along with a few moto tracks.
mwssquad827
12/29/2019 8:51am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2019 8:52am
Best riding is Back in California!!😂😂
Spudnut
12/29/2019 9:19am
I hear nothing but great things about OMC.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
12/29/2019 9:27am
Heys guys,

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks in advance!
doodle
12/29/2019 11:14am
doodle wrote:
My first post, hope it’s in the right place. I’m new to the Boise area and MX, but not motorcycles. I did just get a 2020...

Broseph wrote:
I’m somewhat familiar with the area. If you want to ride a track, there’s Skyline and OMC. If you’re looking for offroad, cruise out to Hemmingway...
I’m somewhat familiar with the area. If you want to ride a track, there’s Skyline and OMC. If you’re looking for offroad, cruise out to Hemmingway Butte in the winter or Black’s Cr in the summer. Best way to make riding buddies is to talk to people out on the trail or staging area.

What made you move to Idaho?
Thanks for the input. I’ll definitely look into those tracks.

A combination of work, cheaper cost of living, and good outdoor recreation brought me to Idaho.
doodle
12/29/2019 11:15am
endurox wrote:
TVTMA is a great off road club. They have meetings once a month. OMC also has an endurocross and trials area along with a few moto...
TVTMA is a great off road club. They have meetings once a month. OMC also has an endurocross and trials area along with a few moto tracks.
That sounds awesome, thanks! I’ll check out the group.
racerxx276
12/29/2019 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2019 1:01pm
With a 250x you will want to head up to idaho city in the spring to get in some trail riding.

If you want to practice your jumps go to OMC, it's jump, jump, jump bowl turn , jump, jump, jump bowl turn , jump, jump, jump bowl turn . Dirt is good, just not really moto. 10 years ago it had a great layout, the guys just spend too much time watching SX and will flame you if you say anything..
doodle
12/29/2019 1:16pm
racerxx276 wrote:
With a 250x you will want to head up to idaho city in the spring to get in some trail riding. If you want to practice...
With a 250x you will want to head up to idaho city in the spring to get in some trail riding.

If you want to practice your jumps go to OMC, it's jump, jump, jump bowl turn , jump, jump, jump bowl turn , jump, jump, jump bowl turn . Dirt is good, just not really moto. 10 years ago it had a great layout, the guys just spend too much time watching SX and will flame you if you say anything..
Oh yeah, I’m definitely most looking forward to getting up to Idaho city. Woods was always my favorite type of riding back when I had the XC-W. Super excited to try the 250x with better suspension, higher first gear, and hopefully smoother power delivery.

Never really hit any real jumps on a dirtbike, but did plenty of jump lines on dh mtb trails, definitely not my strong suit though. That’s partly why I started this post for “beginner” tracks. I don’t expect to be doing doubles or triples probably...ever...but we’ll see. I just wanna have fun and not get hurt or get in anybody’s way as I develop skills. I’m definitely more interested in flowy style tracks.

I saw a video of the mammoth Mx track and it looked like a blast, that’s the kind of riding I’m looking for here. Not so much “big jump arena” SX.
racerxx276
12/29/2019 2:12pm
If you want to try some harder trails than idaho city head up to McCall and ride the Burgdorf area. Drop the guys a line at CITRA, they might take you out for a ride.. Central Idaho Trail Riders Alliance http://www.citra.rocks/

Post a reply to: Tracks near Boise for beginner

The Latest