Tracks in the Northwest

Trae_Arnold
4/30/2018 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2018 7:42am
Looking for good tracks around the Washington/Idaho area. List your favorite tracks and maybe rate it out of 10?
|
Markus422
4/30/2018 4:50pm
Riverdale and Washougal are my favorite public tracks In WA. The Ridge is great but usually way too packed imo. EMXP is small but very convenient if you live around the East Seattle area like me. Not many options for tracks out here tbh but so much great mountain and desert riding makes up for it imo
4/30/2018 5:41pm
Riverdale is pretty cool. Several tracks and you can ride all day with no separated practices.

Washougal just implemented a spectator fee. So if you plan on bringing your family make sure you bring extra cash.
cwtoyota
4/30/2018 7:18pm
Riverdale (Toutle, WA) is a lot of fun, Dan has a track for just about any kind of rider and he listens to feedback from riders. Some years the layout is better than others, but it's always a fun place to spend a day with your moto buds and/or family getting a TON of riding time. I spend a LOT of time during the winter, spring and fall at Riverdale.

Washougal is my favorite place on the planet. There are people who don't jive with the track due to the dirt, the shadows, or the wait-time between motos on practice days... The dirt will be tilled deep and watered heavy for the first practice and at the end of the day the track will morph into a hard-packed clay surface with blue-groove and some dust up at the top of the hills on a hot summer day. The whoops are big and can be gnarly. The track gets rough in places and it's a long lap time (around 2:15). The roost hurts more than anywhere else you've ever ridden. ....But, if you gel with the track layout and the scenery, there is nothing better than flowing around Washougal on your dirt bike.

Ward Creek MX (Raymond, WA) is an awesome track. It's a little narrow in places, but it's just a whole lot of fun.

Horn Rapids (Richland, WA) is a great sandy track with a hard base. They do a great job and hold some awesome races out there, especially the P.R.O. series rounds hosted by Devol (those already happened this year). They have a FAST sand track called "Area 51" that you can also ride on the other side of the property behind the main starting gate as you enter the facility. Both tracks are a lot of fun.

There's another track in the same complex with Horn Rapids... I rode it when it was brand new in 2016, it was pretty fun, but more of a stadium track than the fast, rough, tough horn rapids.

OPMC (Port Angeles, WA) One of my favorite tracks to race on. It's a club-owned track, but they have a couple of practice days a year and some awesome racing with the Washington State series and their own Fall Series. This track has a section where you can get just about any bike tapped in 5th gear up the hill, but it's fairly safe too and lots of fun.

Grays Harbor ORV (Mccleary, WA) (I haven't ridden at this track (formerly Straddleline) since RV2 and his buddy took over the lease. They've changed the layout and softened up the soil too, so I can't really say much, except that it used to be a lot of fun, even though it wasn't very demanding on skill level.

Pacific Raceway (Auburn, WA) I haven't ridden Pacific in a couple of years. It's run by Lance Smail, the former pro racer and kind of one of my local heroes growing up around here... Which is why it pains me to say that it isn't even close to the glory days when it was called Seattle International Raceway back in the 1990s. They still have a fun, safe place to ride if you're near Seattle, so I can't bag on that.

MotoWest (Bremerton, WA) This track is close to where I live, so it's nice to pop over there on weekdays and meet-up with my buds to ride practice. I think they've switched from Tuesdays to Thursday practice this year. The track layouts vary from great to just average. The trouble with MotoWest is that they lack a good understanding of the soil and how to prep the track. I have the same soil on portions of my private track here and it's no problem. They repeatedly get it wrong and it seems like they either don't know, or don't have good leadership in that area. I have been off the bike for a year (for college), but I would still go there for sure. It's close and almost always fun despite the less than perfect prep. It's not a destination track like Washougal, but it's great if you're in the area and need to get some laps in.

The Ridge Motorsports (Shelton, WA). I haven't ridden at The Ridge yet, but I plan to get out there to watch a race this summer. When I get back on the bike next year, I'll hit this track for sure. All my buddies say it's a lot of fun, fairly fast and flowing, good soil and prep, even though a lot of rocks come up to the surface during the last motos of the day.

Albany MX (Albany, OR) This one is a long haul for me, but I head down there for the P.R.O. series round most years. The track is so much fun, especially the way Devol preps all the jumps (he often makes everything a little steeper at his races).

Woodland MX (Woodland, WA) This is a winter-only track. They have a pretty good racing series during the winter.

I-90 MX (is near I-90 where it crosses the Columbia). My pals go there... I haven't been yet, since I've been off of the bike for a year.

Airway Heights (Spokane, WA) I have never ridden at this track.
Tracktor
5/1/2018 10:05am
Good write up - ^^^ However, I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone praise Ted Devols track building technique. Not a fan of his changes.

Mt View- In Sandy, Oregon. Fun layouts great play track. Not a huge fan of racing on it though as pretty narrow and technical since they do a lot of option lines on jumps. Red clay so can get extremely slick if not prepped/watered right. Ran by some of the best people in the business

Territorial MX - Eugene, Oregon. Another red dirt track but really tacky. Not many big jumps but lot's of fun corners. Pretty narrow in some sections depending on what layout they run.

Oregon Dirt Park - Prineville, Oregon. Haven't been yet but looks really cool. It's part of a Mt Bike park.

Eddieville - Goldendale, WA. Fun hilly track. Also has a 7 mile or so off road loop. Can be hit or miss on prep. Definitely has massive potential if Scott cared more about MX vs off-road. The things he could do there would put and NW track to shame.

TNMX - Portland, OR - Fun event every Thursday from spring to fall. Unfortunately the track has gone from fun & challenging to boring & lame. Same layout for about 5 years with just a rip & drag every week. Sad to see it going the way it is but probably not going to get better anytime soon.

Woodland, MX - Woodland, WA. Volcanic ash dirt. Great winter track gets really deep ruts. Can run when raining or wet. Prep is hit or miss.

I-90 MX - Semi public track in WA. heard good & bad but never been. Too far for me.

High Desert MX - Another semi private track in Central Oregon.

Alderdale MX - Somewhere in the Columbia gorge hidden. If you know, you know & miss it. RIP to one of the funnest tracks around.

Most NW tracks suffer from a lack of prep & understanding of how to build. I've built quite a few over the years including my own private track and am amazed at what passes for "product" at many tracks. I have no problem paying but the value needs to be there to get me away from my well built & prepped home track...........

The Shop

5/1/2018 10:35am
Alderdale man that track was fun but it's been closed since like 2005! I got to ride there twice.

I agree on some of the tracks if i could do a layout myself the track owners wouldn't know what to do with the increased turn out.
rosebud441
5/1/2018 11:32am
cwtoyota wrote:
Riverdale (Toutle, WA) is a lot of fun, Dan has a track for just about any kind of rider and he listens to feedback from riders...
Riverdale (Toutle, WA) is a lot of fun, Dan has a track for just about any kind of rider and he listens to feedback from riders. Some years the layout is better than others, but it's always a fun place to spend a day with your moto buds and/or family getting a TON of riding time. I spend a LOT of time during the winter, spring and fall at Riverdale.

Washougal is my favorite place on the planet. There are people who don't jive with the track due to the dirt, the shadows, or the wait-time between motos on practice days... The dirt will be tilled deep and watered heavy for the first practice and at the end of the day the track will morph into a hard-packed clay surface with blue-groove and some dust up at the top of the hills on a hot summer day. The whoops are big and can be gnarly. The track gets rough in places and it's a long lap time (around 2:15). The roost hurts more than anywhere else you've ever ridden. ....But, if you gel with the track layout and the scenery, there is nothing better than flowing around Washougal on your dirt bike.

Ward Creek MX (Raymond, WA) is an awesome track. It's a little narrow in places, but it's just a whole lot of fun.

Horn Rapids (Richland, WA) is a great sandy track with a hard base. They do a great job and hold some awesome races out there, especially the P.R.O. series rounds hosted by Devol (those already happened this year). They have a FAST sand track called "Area 51" that you can also ride on the other side of the property behind the main starting gate as you enter the facility. Both tracks are a lot of fun.

There's another track in the same complex with Horn Rapids... I rode it when it was brand new in 2016, it was pretty fun, but more of a stadium track than the fast, rough, tough horn rapids.

OPMC (Port Angeles, WA) One of my favorite tracks to race on. It's a club-owned track, but they have a couple of practice days a year and some awesome racing with the Washington State series and their own Fall Series. This track has a section where you can get just about any bike tapped in 5th gear up the hill, but it's fairly safe too and lots of fun.

Grays Harbor ORV (Mccleary, WA) (I haven't ridden at this track (formerly Straddleline) since RV2 and his buddy took over the lease. They've changed the layout and softened up the soil too, so I can't really say much, except that it used to be a lot of fun, even though it wasn't very demanding on skill level.

Pacific Raceway (Auburn, WA) I haven't ridden Pacific in a couple of years. It's run by Lance Smail, the former pro racer and kind of one of my local heroes growing up around here... Which is why it pains me to say that it isn't even close to the glory days when it was called Seattle International Raceway back in the 1990s. They still have a fun, safe place to ride if you're near Seattle, so I can't bag on that.

MotoWest (Bremerton, WA) This track is close to where I live, so it's nice to pop over there on weekdays and meet-up with my buds to ride practice. I think they've switched from Tuesdays to Thursday practice this year. The track layouts vary from great to just average. The trouble with MotoWest is that they lack a good understanding of the soil and how to prep the track. I have the same soil on portions of my private track here and it's no problem. They repeatedly get it wrong and it seems like they either don't know, or don't have good leadership in that area. I have been off the bike for a year (for college), but I would still go there for sure. It's close and almost always fun despite the less than perfect prep. It's not a destination track like Washougal, but it's great if you're in the area and need to get some laps in.

The Ridge Motorsports (Shelton, WA). I haven't ridden at The Ridge yet, but I plan to get out there to watch a race this summer. When I get back on the bike next year, I'll hit this track for sure. All my buddies say it's a lot of fun, fairly fast and flowing, good soil and prep, even though a lot of rocks come up to the surface during the last motos of the day.

Albany MX (Albany, OR) This one is a long haul for me, but I head down there for the P.R.O. series round most years. The track is so much fun, especially the way Devol preps all the jumps (he often makes everything a little steeper at his races).

Woodland MX (Woodland, WA) This is a winter-only track. They have a pretty good racing series during the winter.

I-90 MX (is near I-90 where it crosses the Columbia). My pals go there... I haven't been yet, since I've been off of the bike for a year.

There must be a reason no one mentions Hannegan Speedway up here in Bham, it must be the black sheep of Washington tracks.. idk,.,.,Myself i have a love / hate relationship with that track..

The track has been around for ever and has a long, long running Thursday night series that i've raced on and off since the early 90's...
cwtoyota
5/1/2018 12:54pm
rosebud441 wrote:
There must be a reason no one mentions Hannegan Speedway up here in Bham, it must be the black sheep of Washington tracks.. idk,.,.,Myself i have...
There must be a reason no one mentions Hannegan Speedway up here in Bham, it must be the black sheep of Washington tracks.. idk,.,.,Myself i have a love / hate relationship with that track..

The track has been around for ever and has a long, long running Thursday night series that i've raced on and off since the early 90's...
I've raced Hannegan only once (in 2012). It's at least three hours of driving to get up there and it isn't one of the better tracks I've ridden. I'll compare it to MotoWest and Pacific Raceway, in the sense that if you live close by, it's great to have a place to ride, but you wouldn't drive three hours to ride them if anywhere else were open that day.

For people in Seattle or farther north, maybe the drive up to Bellingham is more realistic.

cwtoyota
5/1/2018 1:05pm
Tracktor wrote:
Good write up - ^^^ However, I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone praise Ted Devols track building technique. Not a fan of...
Good write up - ^^^ However, I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone praise Ted Devols track building technique. Not a fan of his changes.

Mt View- In Sandy, Oregon. Fun layouts great play track. Not a huge fan of racing on it though as pretty narrow and technical since they do a lot of option lines on jumps. Red clay so can get extremely slick if not prepped/watered right. Ran by some of the best people in the business

Territorial MX - Eugene, Oregon. Another red dirt track but really tacky. Not many big jumps but lot's of fun corners. Pretty narrow in some sections depending on what layout they run.

Oregon Dirt Park - Prineville, Oregon. Haven't been yet but looks really cool. It's part of a Mt Bike park.

Eddieville - Goldendale, WA. Fun hilly track. Also has a 7 mile or so off road loop. Can be hit or miss on prep. Definitely has massive potential if Scott cared more about MX vs off-road. The things he could do there would put and NW track to shame.

TNMX - Portland, OR - Fun event every Thursday from spring to fall. Unfortunately the track has gone from fun & challenging to boring & lame. Same layout for about 5 years with just a rip & drag every week. Sad to see it going the way it is but probably not going to get better anytime soon.

Woodland, MX - Woodland, WA. Volcanic ash dirt. Great winter track gets really deep ruts. Can run when raining or wet. Prep is hit or miss.

I-90 MX - Semi public track in WA. heard good & bad but never been. Too far for me.

High Desert MX - Another semi private track in Central Oregon.

Alderdale MX - Somewhere in the Columbia gorge hidden. If you know, you know & miss it. RIP to one of the funnest tracks around.

Most NW tracks suffer from a lack of prep & understanding of how to build. I've built quite a few over the years including my own private track and am amazed at what passes for "product" at many tracks. I have no problem paying but the value needs to be there to get me away from my well built & prepped home track...........
Yeah, I realize a lot of people don't like the fact that Ted changes the tracks. I think it caters to the more advanced riders and it's cool if you're not a regular at that particular track. When he comes in and adjusts the track you're used to, it can throw you off big time. Overall though, even though I'm closer to the 40+A class than I'd like to think about, I still like to hit technical jumps and big nasty whoops and they usually bring a decent rider turnout at the rounds I attend (HRMC and Albany).

Alderdale MX, was that the track in the apple orchard (down in a valley overlooking Hanford) that I used to go to between 1998 through 2001 with some friends? That place was one hell of a fun track.

omalley
5/1/2018 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 2:42pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Riverdale (Toutle, WA) is a lot of fun, Dan has a track for just about any kind of rider and he listens to feedback from riders...

rosebud441 wrote:
There must be a reason no one mentions Hannegan Speedway up here in Bham, it must be the black sheep of Washington tracks.. idk,.,.,Myself i have...

Speaking of hannegan, hows it looking for this Thursday? Thinking of racing, and I know that place takes awhile to dry out...
5/1/2018 3:09pm
Alderdale was like south of Sunnyside and it was built around a ravine like area. It had a few up n down hill sections cause of it. It was opened in like late 04 and closed in 05 it wasn't open for long.

To bad burnt ridge closed at end of 2016.

Fun idaho track would be fossil bowl.
cwtoyota
5/1/2018 3:27pm
Alderdale was like south of Sunnyside and it was built around a ravine like area. It had a few up n down hill sections cause of...
Alderdale was like south of Sunnyside and it was built around a ravine like area. It had a few up n down hill sections cause of it. It was opened in like late 04 and closed in 05 it wasn't open for long.

Yeah, Burnt Ridge was a lot of fun.

I searched for an image of Alderdale... Different place entirely, but not that far away.
I used to go to this private apple-orchard track with some old-timer friends. It was in this ravine east of Hanford. You could see part of the Hanford complex from the track. I thought maybe they opened that up to the public.

That track is still like a unicorn-track in my memory.
Tracktor
5/1/2018 3:27pm
cwtoyota wrote:
Yeah, I realize a lot of people don't like the fact that Ted changes the tracks. I think it caters to the more advanced riders and...
Yeah, I realize a lot of people don't like the fact that Ted changes the tracks. I think it caters to the more advanced riders and it's cool if you're not a regular at that particular track. When he comes in and adjusts the track you're used to, it can throw you off big time. Overall though, even though I'm closer to the 40+A class than I'd like to think about, I still like to hit technical jumps and big nasty whoops and they usually bring a decent rider turnout at the rounds I attend (HRMC and Albany).

Alderdale MX, was that the track in the apple orchard (down in a valley overlooking Hanford) that I used to go to between 1998 through 2001 with some friends? That place was one hell of a fun track.

Riders don't like Ted's changes because he has no clue about what he is doing? Putting random corners in places, kickers on downhills,etc. I know he has done a lot for NW MX but he has no clue about track building, IMO. I love big technical jumps but they still need to be well built.

Yep, Over in the middle of BFE. Tracks is still there and being ridden from what I heard recently. Lot's of good memories from there. Goodnoe Hills, not so much. Only track I was actually scared to ride a second moto on!......
ACBraap
Fantasy
444th
5/1/2018 4:09pm
Territorial is very soil condition dependent. On the right day, the dirt is like velcro and the place is magic. The wrong day, and its either greasy clay that builds up on everything or a dry slick dust bowl.

Albany also changes a lot with prep, but can handle a much wider range of conditions IMO. The dirt can be concrete like when washing your bike later. Back in the day layouts were changed constantly, new sections added, and maintenance was really good. That slipped a lot in the mid 90s. I'd really like to get back there.

Clarks Branch in Roseburg is really fun, but I believe is only open for special events now.
ob
5/1/2018 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 4:52pm
My god Eddieville could be the spot. I loved that place. If anybody goes to The View this week tell Jenny hi for OB.
ob
5/1/2018 4:55pm
Dang the dirt in the NW is fickle, I can say that. One moto your dragging your ball sack in it “Dan”, and the next it’s hard as a rock. Lol inside joke
Doddy
5/1/2018 5:49pm
There is also a mx track in the summer(ax track in winter) at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe WA. It's not very. Haven't ridden it yet, so I can't really tell you that much about it.
Johnny Ringo
5/1/2018 8:28pm
I’d rather self perform a vasectomy than ride Horn Rapids
Johnny Ringo
5/1/2018 8:31pm
Ted can’t build a track either. That guy is stuck in 2001 and can’t get out.
smit9722
5/1/2018 8:57pm
I second tracktor
TJ 755
5/2/2018 7:10am
Cadillac Ranch is having 2 track days this year. That place is really fun and close
TJ 755
5/2/2018 7:18am
rk601 wrote:
I've been trying to get accurate information on tracks for a motocross track directory I'm building MapMoto.

Here's what I've got Idaho https://mapmoto.com/tracks/in/idaho and Washington https://mapmoto.com/tracks/in/washington

Toes is done and gone, has been for years. The guy that helped out there has his own track now in George WA. called I-90 MX and it is pretty good. Also Ephrata hasnt run in years but it may come back some day.
Nice list you got going there.
also Straddline is now Grays Harbor ORV GHORV
potatoflake
5/2/2018 7:45am
All these places listed are pretty awesome! I live across the river from horn rapids and they do a ton of amateur racing and are open basically every weekend there’s not a race as well as Friday’s right now

I-90 I rode for my first time 2 weeks ago and that place is awesome only one track but it flows really nicely and the atmosphere is nice and laid back for pro practicers like myself. I’ll definetly be going back there

Airway mx Park is super fun as well they have a summer sx series I always liked a lot and the layout doesn’t ever seem to get old

Welcome to the upper left!

potatoflake
5/2/2018 7:50am
Alderdale was like south of Sunnyside and it was built around a ravine like area. It had a few up n down hill sections cause of...

cwtoyota wrote:
Yeah, Burnt Ridge was a lot of fun. I searched for an image of Alderdale... Different place entirely, but not that far away. I used to...
Yeah, Burnt Ridge was a lot of fun.

I searched for an image of Alderdale... Different place entirely, but not that far away.
I used to go to this private apple-orchard track with some old-timer friends. It was in this ravine east of Hanford. You could see part of the Hanford complex from the track. I thought maybe they opened that up to the public.

That track is still like a unicorn-track in my memory.
You wouldn’t be talking about “ossmans” place are you? Right across the river from Hanford Near some orchards? It kinda weaves through some trees and is a little narrow but awesome as hell? I grew up riding there with my father and all his friends! Best days of my life right there!
Tracktor
5/2/2018 9:36am
Har, as is Dave Eakin who builds PIR................It was in late '90s that Ted had a race at Washougal and built a kicker just before the drop at the very top of the uphill. The section they rarely run anymore. Ralph(or maybe it was Crandall this was a long time ago) was doing morning prep on dozer and just dropped the blade and took it out before anyone got killed by launching down the dropoff. Needless to say Ted wasn't happy......
Wade221
5/2/2018 11:31am
TJ 755 wrote:
Cadillac Ranch is having 2 track days this year. That place is really fun and close
In Ranier? Proposed dates?
TWag113
5/2/2018 1:05pm
TJ 755 wrote:
Wade221 wrote:
In Ranier? Proposed dates?
June 16th/17th and July 7th/8th
cwtoyota
5/2/2018 1:50pm
Tracktor wrote:
Har, as is Dave Eakin who builds PIR................It was in late '90s that Ted had a race at Washougal and built a kicker just before the...
Har, as is Dave Eakin who builds PIR................It was in late '90s that Ted had a race at Washougal and built a kicker just before the drop at the very top of the uphill. The section they rarely run anymore. Ralph(or maybe it was Crandall this was a long time ago) was doing morning prep on dozer and just dropped the blade and took it out before anyone got killed by launching down the dropoff. Needless to say Ted wasn't happy......
That sounds pretty sketchy... I'm sure you could land at the bottom of that thing just coming off of the flat ground if you gave it the berries.

There are kind of two ways to go up there though. Sometimes you go all the way down "Crandall's Cliff" while other times you just blend back into the straight before the ski-jump. I love it when they do both added sections.

I've seen Huffman hit the edge of the track on the right where it banks up to the grass up there on top in a moto. Pretty sweet vet-line; you get a tiny bit of air, skip the edge of the drop and land on the down-slope.
endurox
5/2/2018 3:04pm
OMC in Boise is a membership track. Put in your hours and ride all you want.
Todd D
5/2/2018 4:44pm
Boise a couple weeks ago
The vintage race

Post a reply to: Tracks in the Northwest

The Latest