Tracks in Maryland

10/26/2009 7:32am
MX253 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely will be hittin u guys up when I get out there. Can't be riding solo all the time! ... I'm actually stoked because...
Yeah, I definitely will be hittin u guys up when I get out there. Can't be riding solo all the time! ... I'm actually stoked because I've never been to any nationals besides Glen Helen. I guess the only bummer is there's really not any SX races out there right? I only live 15 mi
n from Anaheim stadium.. So 2010 will be the first time in a while I miss it!!
I was sitting at Tomahawk yesterday chuckling about someone coming from the SoCal moto-culture to our moto culture.

That was about the time the guy on the hopped-up riding mower drove by in the pits. Yes- high performance mowers. You see, they run dirt drags at our track. I don't know if it still has the cupholder.
All day long, guys on unmuffled Banshees were riding over to our pit, turning around and practicing starts while practically roosting us. I love it.
lapper
10/26/2009 7:35am
Any bonus points for naming the shop?
I can't remember if it was the service manager, or the parts guy, but he could be a dick at times! (just kidding Lumpy)
maicocd
10/26/2009 10:30am
I remember the 80cc race at the DC Supercross.

If I recall it was actually won by John Thompson, though Shawn did give John a heck of a race. I think Shawn made a last ditch pass attempt on John that resulted in Shawn's KX80 launching in to space (without Shawn on board). I remember the crowd going nuts and it was better then the pro race that day, which I seem to recall David Baily winning.

I unearthed my CYCLE 5 jersey the other day... Unfortunately it doesn't fit anymore!!!
(and its not because I got too skinny!!!)
lumpy790
10/26/2009 10:51am
lapper wrote:
Any bonus points for naming the shop? I can't remember if it was the service manager, or the parts guy, but he could be a dick...
I can't remember if it was the service manager, or the parts guy, but he could be a dick at times! (just kidding Lumpy)
LOL....I could not remember if SND won it or not but it was one of the best races I have ever seen. Didnt Shawn crash several times but was still right there at the end?

Yep.....Lumpy worked at Cycle 5 as the service manager/mechanic after the shop was sold.

The Shop

Sanchez
10/27/2009 11:01am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:57am
jtiger12 wrote:
if we could convince the landowner to let us ride, the track would still be open and he'd be making money. I heard they closed it...
if we could convince the landowner to let us ride, the track would still be open and he'd be making money. I heard they closed it down to put in a housing development. The track is still there?
You’d think, huh? When Antietam MX closed (around 2003-04), I also recall hearing it was for developmental purposes; and/or city zoning districts having been extended in that area, making it next to impossible to insure for commercial purposes.

Regardless, the track still sits there untouched 5 years later with no signs of development going on. I checked it out about a month ago and it's mainly just grassed over & would need some good disc action to make usable. It’s a shame really, a lot of D7 tracks have gone away during the last 10-15 years.
SMITH201
10/27/2009 11:47am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:57am
lapper wrote:
Any bonus points for naming the shop? I can't remember if it was the service manager, or the parts guy, but he could be a dick...
lumpy790 wrote:
LOL....I could not remember if SND won it or not but it was one of the best races I have ever seen. Didnt Shawn crash several...
LOL....I could not remember if SND won it or not but it was one of the best races I have ever seen. Didnt Shawn crash several times but was still right there at the end?

Yep.....Lumpy worked at Cycle 5 as the service manager/mechanic after the shop was sold.
Yeah he did! I remember me and my brother were freakin out about how many times he crashed and still battlin for the win. 80 race was incredible! Also remember DB came from behind and passed both leaders that were battlin and took the win. I still have the poster and T-shirt from that race! It had an old Rec Softball shirt style to it Smile
NetMXer
10/27/2009 12:19pm
lapper wrote:
lumpy790 wrote:
LOL....I could not remember if SND won it or not but it was one of the best races I have ever seen. Didnt Shawn crash several...

I've still got a trailer full of old Maico parts I picked up from Stretch when the shop closed down. I should see what I've got out there. I could be a rich guy if I sold them on ebay.
NetMXer
10/27/2009 12:21pm
It's too bad that was the only SX ever held in DC. It was the same weekend as a Lorretta Lynns qualifier at White Oak so not many of the locals made it to the SX.
lumpy790
10/27/2009 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:57am
one of the main things I remember was the 3 digit guy.....224 hailing!

Laughing

I still have the Kawasaki parts......

SMITH201
10/27/2009 1:07pm
my brother still has the Moto-Cross magazine with the DC race review. I will see if i can get it and post pics/results Smile
10/27/2009 1:19pm
NetMXer wrote:
It's too bad that was the only SX ever held in DC. It was the same weekend as a Lorretta Lynns qualifier at White Oak so...
It's too bad that was the only SX ever held in DC. It was the same weekend as a Lorretta Lynns qualifier at White Oak so not many of the locals made it to the SX.
I was in the hospital with a broken ankle. I remember seeing Hannah in the commercial for the DC Supercross.

I told myself not to worry because Supercross would be back in DC.

Still waiting 25 years later! Pinch
Matt Wozney
10/27/2009 1:40pm
MX253 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely will be hittin u guys up when I get out there. Can't be riding solo all the time! ... I'm actually stoked because...
Yeah, I definitely will be hittin u guys up when I get out there. Can't be riding solo all the time! ... I'm actually stoked because I've never been to any nationals besides Glen Helen. I guess the only bummer is there's really not any SX races out there right? I only live 15 mi
n from Anaheim stadium.. So 2010 will be the first time in a while I miss it!!
I was sitting at Tomahawk yesterday chuckling about someone coming from the SoCal moto-culture to our moto culture. That was about the time the guy on...
I was sitting at Tomahawk yesterday chuckling about someone coming from the SoCal moto-culture to our moto culture.

That was about the time the guy on the hopped-up riding mower drove by in the pits. Yes- high performance mowers. You see, they run dirt drags at our track. I don't know if it still has the cupholder.
All day long, guys on unmuffled Banshees were riding over to our pit, turning around and practicing starts while practically roosting us. I love it.
tAfter a meeting a bunch of SoCal media guys at Budds for the Yamaha YZ450 intro at Budds, it seemed like they thought the east coast was a different world after they asked me about the races here, how they are run, how the tracks are, etc.....
maicocd
10/28/2009 8:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:58am
I came across a stack of '83 DC supercross pictures yesterday.

My Dad took them and actually got some pretty good 35mm shots as we were down on the floor of the stadium. As MAMA members we were there helping out with flagging and various other duties. I could have participated in the 80cc race, but was only informed when I arrived w/o a bike & gear. (this was in the days without the internet, so communication was not as sleek and easy as we now take for granted!)

I will try to scan some-- I know I have a couple of #224 (16 year old Lechien) for you Lumpy.
There is one of RJ tossing a thumps up over the finish on his #8 Yamaha, as well as one of Bailey doing his "no handed" victory finish.
I will try to get them posted. If I get them sanned and posted I'll probably post them in the Vintage section of Vital.

On a side note-- and I think a couple of you will agree-- we need a "D-7 Memories" website or webpage. I'd be happy to help/contribute or have entertained setting one up myself if I have to. I'm not website savy myself as far as setting one up, but I think one is long overdue.
I have boxes of pictures and negatives as well as some CyclingEasts that span my Dad's and my brother & my years recing D-7 (1973-1996). Antietam, Budds, Aquasco, Big Berm, etc.
I think it is fun to reconnect too, as I am going mountain bike riding this weekend with an old MAMA friend of mine that I had not seen or heard from in years. (I apparently can't get him back on a MX bike... YET at least!)

I am like everyone else-- just need the time to get something like a website going!

What do you old D7 racers think?
10/28/2009 8:53am
maicocd wrote:
I came across a stack of '83 DC supercross pictures yesterday. My Dad took them and actually got some pretty good 35mm shots as we were...
I came across a stack of '83 DC supercross pictures yesterday.

My Dad took them and actually got some pretty good 35mm shots as we were down on the floor of the stadium. As MAMA members we were there helping out with flagging and various other duties. I could have participated in the 80cc race, but was only informed when I arrived w/o a bike & gear. (this was in the days without the internet, so communication was not as sleek and easy as we now take for granted!)

I will try to scan some-- I know I have a couple of #224 (16 year old Lechien) for you Lumpy.
There is one of RJ tossing a thumps up over the finish on his #8 Yamaha, as well as one of Bailey doing his "no handed" victory finish.
I will try to get them posted. If I get them sanned and posted I'll probably post them in the Vintage section of Vital.

On a side note-- and I think a couple of you will agree-- we need a "D-7 Memories" website or webpage. I'd be happy to help/contribute or have entertained setting one up myself if I have to. I'm not website savy myself as far as setting one up, but I think one is long overdue.
I have boxes of pictures and negatives as well as some CyclingEasts that span my Dad's and my brother & my years recing D-7 (1973-1996). Antietam, Budds, Aquasco, Big Berm, etc.
I think it is fun to reconnect too, as I am going mountain bike riding this weekend with an old MAMA friend of mine that I had not seen or heard from in years. (I apparently can't get him back on a MX bike... YET at least!)

I am like everyone else-- just need the time to get something like a website going!

What do you old D7 racers think?
I would be willing to put a section on my site (it will be back up momentarily). That would be perfect.

I have an FTP site where people could put stuff, or people could email it to me.

I even have some old Cycling East and some old Antietam photos.
3/1/2020 5:46am
Hey guys, anyone in the MD/DE area know the status of Snake Creek, Speed Citi, The Landing Mx? Seems they are closed, but was wondering if any are making a comeback.
3/1/2020 7:05am
The landing is still there I believe, speed citi is on and off so much. I live in Maryland and haven’t been to the landing in so long. Budds, tomahawk, happy ramblers, doublin, and njmp are our go too’s
3/1/2020 8:38am
The landing is still there I believe, speed citi is on and off so much. I live in Maryland and haven’t been to the landing in...
The landing is still there I believe, speed citi is on and off so much. I live in Maryland and haven’t been to the landing in so long. Budds, tomahawk, happy ramblers, doublin, and njmp are our go too’s
Thanks Luke. Yeah, seems like the Eastern Shore mx options have wound down in recent times. I live in Annapolis, so I was hoping someone knew if they were coming back or not. Besides Budds, the rest of those are far for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more local stuff. Thanks for the updates
lumpy790
3/1/2020 9:00am
This post is a ...... Blast from the Past!

Budds Creek long lives and is open for riding during the week !

Eastern shore is nice .... till Ocean City traffic makes it a PAIN!!!

Speaking of OC Another Blast from the past. Who can name the 100% sand track we used to race 2 times a year in Ocean City? Had a great A class payout too!

Me and a couple buddies quit racing and would drive to PA to hit the pay to ride places and ride all day for $30 and even they are gone now. Tower City was one of them.
3/1/2020 9:02am
The landing is still there I believe, speed citi is on and off so much. I live in Maryland and haven’t been to the landing in...
253 wrote:
Thanks Luke. Yeah, seems like the Eastern Shore mx options have wound down in recent times. I live in Annapolis, so I was hoping someone knew...
Thanks Luke. Yeah, seems like the Eastern Shore mx options have wound down in recent times. I live in Annapolis, so I was hoping someone knew if they were coming back or not. Besides Budds, the rest of those are far for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more local stuff. Thanks for the updates
Yeah I’m sure fb has updates, I really miss blue diamond, to many sue happy people in this country. The eastern shore being so close to the bay and stuff I’m sure isn’t Easy to do anything that has to do with run off. That eastern shore dirt is beautiful
3/1/2020 9:03am
lumpy790 wrote:
This post is a ...... Blast from the Past! Budds Creek long lives and is open for riding during the week ! Eastern shore is nice...

Speaking of OC Another Blast from the past. Who can name the 100% sand track we used to race 2 times a year in Ocean City? Had a great A class payout too!

Me and a couple buddies quit racing and would drive to PA to hit the pay to ride places and ride all day for $30 and even they are gone now. Tower City was one of them.
My friends father has trophies from when they raced on the actual oc beach. Could you imagine that now?!
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
3/1/2020 11:41am
253 wrote:
Thanks Luke. Yeah, seems like the Eastern Shore mx options have wound down in recent times. I live in Annapolis, so I was hoping someone knew...
Yeah I’m sure fb has updates, I really miss blue diamond, to many sue happy people in this country. The eastern shore being so close to...
Yeah I’m sure fb has updates, I really miss blue diamond, to many sue happy people in this country. The eastern shore being so close to the bay and stuff I’m sure isn’t Easy to do anything that has to do with run off. That eastern shore dirt is beautiful
Blue Diamond was fun!!! I rode there when I was stationed here during 2007-2008. It was a cool place. The tolls to get there weren’t cheap though. Lol
lumpy790
3/1/2020 12:12pm
lumpy790 wrote:
This post is a ...... Blast from the Past! Budds Creek long lives and is open for riding during the week ! Eastern shore is nice...

My friends father has trophies from when they raced on the actual oc beach. Could you imagine that now?!
Bay side by the 60th st bridge.

Talk about FUN .... go carts with all the racers till they kicked everyone out! LOL
motogrady
3/1/2020 12:58pm
For the outlaws. I don’t know if u can still get back there. Been a long time since I did. Pulled it up looks like the trails are still open. Somebody is riding there.

It’s in Baltimore City limits. Curtis Bay. Beware.

Turn down Aspen at Pennington. All the way back, behind the strip joint. It’s the red dot.
jtiger12
3/1/2020 2:09pm
Speed Citi, done.
Blue diamond, done
Snake Creek, done
Budds creek, close to done

Not alot of Moto around here..
3/1/2020 8:03pm
motogrady wrote:
For the outlaws. I don’t know if u can still get back there. Been a long time since I did. Pulled it up looks like the...
For the outlaws. I don’t know if u can still get back there. Been a long time since I did. Pulled it up looks like the trails are still open. Somebody is riding there.

It’s in Baltimore City limits. Curtis Bay. Beware.

Turn down Aspen at Pennington. All the way back, behind the strip joint. It’s the red dot.
Yeah don’t bring a dirt bike anywhere near here, no matter where you live, it will be gone lol
3/1/2020 8:04pm
jtiger12 wrote:
Speed Citi, done.
Blue diamond, done
Snake Creek, done
Budds creek, close to done

Not alot of Moto around here..
Budds close to done? No he just bought new equipment

Post a reply to: Tracks in Maryland

The Latest