Tracking device for motorcycles

zippytech
Do you any you use or know of a good tracking device in case a bike get stolen?
|
hanzhongluboy
5/6/2020 2:34pm
You can pay a monthly fee to get basically a glorified Tile Bluetooth Tracker. But even if you track it down, what are you gonna do? Pull a gun on the crackhead who stole it to get it back? Roll up on some dudes property and steal it back after confronting them? Wait for local law enforcement to take you serious (a huge lol for those that have had bikes stolen)

I would spend that money you'd pay for a tracking service in another place- namely an insurance policy that covers theft. Lots of threads on vital going over these policies. Can be found easy via a google search. Prices were reasonable; like a few hundred dollars or so per year, probably about what you'd pay for a bluetooth tracker once the monthly payments are added up.
5/6/2020 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 3:09pm
You can pay a monthly fee to get basically a glorified Tile Bluetooth Tracker. But even if you track it down, what are you gonna do...
You can pay a monthly fee to get basically a glorified Tile Bluetooth Tracker. But even if you track it down, what are you gonna do? Pull a gun on the crackhead who stole it to get it back? Roll up on some dudes property and steal it back after confronting them? Wait for local law enforcement to take you serious (a huge lol for those that have had bikes stolen)

I would spend that money you'd pay for a tracking service in another place- namely an insurance policy that covers theft. Lots of threads on vital going over these policies. Can be found easy via a google search. Prices were reasonable; like a few hundred dollars or so per year, probably about what you'd pay for a bluetooth tracker once the monthly payments are added up.
I don't know the situation OP is in, but I'll speak for myself. (Also, I'm Canadian, don't know if insurance work the same in the US)

I rebuild an 2006 CR 125, total cost of the project is probably around 15k (I don't really want to know lol)

I also wanted to insure it, I mean if it got stolen tomorrow I'm down 15k in the hole, but absolutely nobody wanted to insure it! I mean, they would insure it but for the market value of an 06 CR 125 Wich is probably $1500 or so! They didn't give a shjt about all of my bling bling and motor work. They don't insure aftermarket parts, the only parts they will include in the value of the motorcycle are option added at purchase and put on the bike before taking delivery when brand new. I asked many of them to just quote me for a 10 or 15k bike and they couldn't do anything and rightfully so, that's not or it work

So I also looked to get a tracker to hide on the bike as the only security I could get and the only thing I could find are monthly subscription tracker which, like you said, isn't 100% reliable. I would say that here, law enforcement are "more serious" than big city law enforcement and I think a tracker would be taken seriously.

Another thing is where to put the tracker, you would probably have to epoxy it somewhere on the frame
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/6/2020 5:05pm
If it’s a Bluetooth tracker, don’t you need to be within Bluetooth distance? Or do they have ones that send signal to Sattalite?

The Shop

5/6/2020 5:32pm
If it’s a Bluetooth tracker, don’t you need to be within Bluetooth distance? Or do they have ones that send signal to Sattalite?
Yes, with Bluetooth you need to be in range but yes there is some great GPS tracker by satellite
Dust601
5/6/2020 10:33pm
Around here cops will tell you they won’t get involved in something like that. Even if you go up the ladder authority wise. My friend filed a police report, and was able to show them the tracker, along with pics of people riding it at that house they told him it was a civil matter, and wouldn’t help.

We ended up going to get it back ourselves, and then the cops got involved when they called the cops on us “stealing” his bike back. The people “claimed” they paid someone $ for it, but luckily my friend has all his papers in order, and on him so they let us take it, and leave.

They told us we were extremely lucky though. Spent 15 mins telling us all the laws we broke by going onto that guys land, “stealing” bike back, and told us how lucky we were they were going to let it slide.

I honestly don’t know what someone’s suppose to do in that sorta situation. If the police are to lazy to do their jobs how are they gonna lecture someone else doing it for them. It seems like “civil matter” is just cop speak for “not my problem, and don’t make it one for me.”
kkawboy14
5/7/2020 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 3:11pm
I have insurance so I’m not real concerned about it getting stolen!
hanzhongluboy
5/7/2020 2:41pm
You can pay a monthly fee to get basically a glorified Tile Bluetooth Tracker. But even if you track it down, what are you gonna do...

I don't know the situation OP is in, but I'll speak for myself. (Also, I'm Canadian, don't know if insurance work the same in the US)...
I don't know the situation OP is in, but I'll speak for myself. (Also, I'm Canadian, don't know if insurance work the same in the US)

I rebuild an 2006 CR 125, total cost of the project is probably around 15k (I don't really want to know lol)

I also wanted to insure it, I mean if it got stolen tomorrow I'm down 15k in the hole, but absolutely nobody wanted to insure it! I mean, they would insure it but for the market value of an 06 CR 125 Wich is probably $1500 or so! They didn't give a shjt about all of my bling bling and motor work. They don't insure aftermarket parts, the only parts they will include in the value of the motorcycle are option added at purchase and put on the bike before taking delivery when brand new. I asked many of them to just quote me for a 10 or 15k bike and they couldn't do anything and rightfully so, that's not or it work

So I also looked to get a tracker to hide on the bike as the only security I could get and the only thing I could find are monthly subscription tracker which, like you said, isn't 100% reliable. I would say that here, law enforcement are "more serious" than big city law enforcement and I think a tracker would be taken seriously.

Another thing is where to put the tracker, you would probably have to epoxy it somewhere on the frame
This is a good counterpoint. I bet someone out there would underwrite this policy, would just be a question of how much $$ it would cost.

Post a reply to: Tracking device for motorcycles

The Latest