Track sprinkler system, who here has put one in?

Racerx930
Edited Date/Time 10/3/2022 6:34pm
OK I know all the reasons not to run a sprinkler system, own 2 water trucks etc. However this year I'm thinking about opening the track 5 days a week. I'm working on water trucks constantly and honestly I just don't want to work that hard. The idea of turning on the switch about dark and having the track ready to rip a few hours later is sounding more and more appealing.

I noticed at the big Diamond Dons vintage national his sprinkler system was ran off of a pool pump. All his lines were just water hose ran above the ground allowing him to move the sprinklers anywhere he wanted, I'm liking that idea as well. I've searched and searched for a "How to" on the subject but I haven't had much luck.

I have 2 nice high pressure Honda irrigation pumps already that I could use.
|
MR. X
1/20/2016 2:36am
We bought a shit ton of fire hose from auctions ,apparently its only good for so long . It worked great except its a bitch to drag through the grass/weeds once its full of water,we ended up dragging it around with a 4 wheeler . We used a gas powered trash pump to siphon water from a nearby pond.
ehr400
1/20/2016 4:00am
We have put them in at our local club and they work great, biggest thing is you gotta make sure people dont drive over them and you get the water drained in the winter. We used sprinkler heads in most areas which worked great and saved from having 10 people run water hoses. One thing you wanna make sure is that you have a good water pump to be able to move water if you have any elevation.
Motofinne
1/20/2016 4:25am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 4:25am
All the major tracks in Finland use sprinklers and they work great!

There will be a new track 7km from my house in 2017 and my dad and a bunch of other guys are building it and it will have sprinklers.

E: Yes, make sure that people aren't riding over the pipes.
brocster
1/20/2016 4:58am
Go talk to a greens superintendant at a golf course and model yours as a smaller version of what they use. The key is to have a open line/valve at pump start up that slowly pinches off soon after. This prevents water "hammer" that busts the joints in the pipe. I have seen sime really nice systems fail due to this and end back up in a water truck. Best Ive seen is the combonation of sprinklers in the turns, fire hoses with nozzles for jumps and water truck for the straights.

The Shop

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/20/2016 5:14am
I am facing this same decision right now. I am looking at water trucks. My track is about 250ft wide at the widest point and about 1500ft in length. I have pond about 1000ft away from one end of the track, so I'd be looking in the ballpark of 2500ft in pipe just to cover the length...

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
1/20/2016 7:31am
We have our track all setup with underground water lines. We have quite a bit of elevation change, so water trucks our virtually useless. We do have one water truck for the start stretch, and to keep dust down in the pits.

As has been mentioned, you do have to blow the lines out really good in the winter. And at least for us, we are constantly repairing water lines. We have gotten pretty efficient at it, as we usually have at least one riser get run over per race by track personnel or medics.

We probably have about 40 standard 40 ft. radius sprinklers, and 3 big 120 ft. radius cannons. We also have fire hoses scattered for "precision" watering the areas that can't be reached by sprinkler.

I believe our pump is 30hp (it has to push water up hill, across the road to our track). We don't have enough pressure to have ALL of our sprinklers open at once, but we can split the track into 1/4 sections, and just have two or three guys going around opening and closing sprinklers. We can have the track completely watered in ~2 hours.
SEE ARE125
1/20/2016 8:37am
I installed the one in my lawn. While pressure is important, more important is volume, aka gallons per minute(GPM). You need to divide it up into zones, then depending on your available GPM you can determine how many sprinklers you can run per zone. Efficiency is about 80%, so if you have 50GPM, all the sprinklers combined on a zone don't need to exceed 40GPM. Zones will also let you water individual parts of the track, so think about how you're going to lay out your zones. Put the areas that dry out quicker on the same zone. You don't want to turn on the sprinklers to water a dry spot, only to have another spot be a mud hole.

Also, I think I would go above ground for a track. It would make it easier to move things around if you ever change the track design, plus you don't have to worry about equipment tearing up the lines if they're run under the track. Having a guy ripping the track only to bust your water line wouldn't be fun. Install an air compressor fitting so you can blow the lines out come winter to prevent freezing.
JustMX
1/20/2016 9:10am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2016 9:13am
Don't really like sprinklers as much as water trucks but have a few tips.

Make sure that each head can be shut off independently. Jump faces take less water then straights and corners and if you can't shut them off you will end up with mud at the bottom.

Some corners will require more water. An example would be one on the inside that would have close to 360 swing will need to run longer than one on a straight or 90 corner.

If you are pumping from a pond it will have grit in it and if you have a good bit of pressure it may cause heads to stick when the grit gets in the seal. I actually had better luck with cheap Lowes sprinklers over top of the line rain bird heads.

Also if pumping from pond, get used to carrying a wd 40 tube and a cheap pair of pliers to remove twigs, leaves, gravel, and critters like minnows and tadpoles.

An important thing to consider on a,pump is the pressure, often referred to as head pressure. Most gas pumps have less than 100 feet. This is the distance it would pump water straight up. It is important if you have much elevation. A higher number will also make sure that your heads cover their full area.

The vest setup is to have the heads on alternating sides of the track. An example would be having heads on a straight watering half circles on opposite sides to minimize overlap and the missed areas that happen when they are all on the same side.
dirtman1
1/20/2016 9:13am
The bigger your main line the better. Keep stepping down your pipe diameter to create pressure. We used a dedicated tractor and ran a PTO pump off the back of it and it could run a ton of heads at the same time. I would also recommend putting a lot of valves in place so that you could shut down a portion of the system so you could make repairs AND still run the system in other zones and not have to completely shut down the system. If you want to do it right get the big cannons and you can elevate them several feet and cover an amazing area with less heads and less probability of them getting damaged. We put our cannons in 55 gallon drums filled with dirt and I'd guess we had them sticking out another 3 or 4 feet in the air. This keeps them from getting damaged by bikes. I'd put an inline valve on each one again so you can control each one and get the optimal number of heads running to get maximum water throw.

We also put hose bibs and valves on each cannon to work for spot watering during an event or when a cannon malfunctions.
kkawboy14
1/20/2016 10:37am
John Deere Landscapes which has now changed their name and can't think of it right this second typically will design you a system for free if you purchase from them when you do it.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
1/20/2016 11:41am
the club i was involved in here, has a very good sprinkler system,

a sprinkler system is not a turn on and walk away type of deal either, if you want the track watered well,

they require constant maintenance, and bikes, bugs, weeds and all sorts of other things play havoc with the sprinkler heads, and when the wind changes it can mean changing the angles of the head,

you need a good water supply, and a good pump to make it work, having parts you can turn off is a good thing to, as well as being able to turn off invidual sprinklers, (we had dry breaks on most parts of the track)

they can be expensive to put in, and maintain, but they can do an awesome job as well, with less man hours on the day than water trucks,
WalksAus
1/16/2017 6:25am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2017 6:28am
shiftmx_22 wrote:
We have our track all setup with underground water lines. We have quite a bit of elevation change, so water trucks our virtually useless. We do...
We have our track all setup with underground water lines. We have quite a bit of elevation change, so water trucks our virtually useless. We do have one water truck for the start stretch, and to keep dust down in the pits.

As has been mentioned, you do have to blow the lines out really good in the winter. And at least for us, we are constantly repairing water lines. We have gotten pretty efficient at it, as we usually have at least one riser get run over per race by track personnel or medics.

We probably have about 40 standard 40 ft. radius sprinklers, and 3 big 120 ft. radius cannons. We also have fire hoses scattered for "precision" watering the areas that can't be reached by sprinkler.

I believe our pump is 30hp (it has to push water up hill, across the road to our track). We don't have enough pressure to have ALL of our sprinklers open at once, but we can split the track into 1/4 sections, and just have two or three guys going around opening and closing sprinklers. We can have the track completely watered in ~2 hours.
I'm doing this at the moment as we have the MX nationals coming to our track and it's normally pretty dry here in April. I'm looking at getting 6 or the big 120ft cannons and just going with them and moving them around the track.

We already have all the points in place so it should be as simple as moving them around but I am concerned about mud patches at the bottom of jump faces too.

How do you find the 120ft cannons go with the ground actually soaking up the water as opposed to just rolling off the side of the track? Our track is pretty loamy but gets hell dry and hard as a rock so ripping it first is difficult.

Edit: I'm not going to use the water cannons to water the track for the national, I will use it for the week leading up to get the base moisture deep into the ground. Then 2 days before we will hit it with hoses and the water truck to get it perfect all around.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
10/3/2022 9:05am
Stationary sprinkler heads on wheels away from track for safety, a pond and high pressure pump with an engine. I'm sure a costly investment but can water the sand track in basically 2 zones quick and effortlessly. Lots of equipment like this in the farming industry for irrigating crops.

Just cool to see for your reference.

Sparkalounger
10/3/2022 10:11am
Ramrod wrote:
Stationary sprinkler heads on wheels away from track for safety, a pond and high pressure pump with an engine. I'm sure a costly investment but can...
Stationary sprinkler heads on wheels away from track for safety, a pond and high pressure pump with an engine. I'm sure a costly investment but can water the sand track in basically 2 zones quick and effortlessly. Lots of equipment like this in the farming industry for irrigating crops.

Just cool to see for your reference.

This is where I would point somebody.
John Deere Landscapes / Site One is residential and golf course stuff.
I would look to the Ag industry.
Like Joe Dirt sys, "get the good stuff"

I also think you need good data.
Trying to install a system on a brand new track would be tough.
Types of dirt, run off and sun exposure can really change from corner to corner.
Properly understanding where and how much water you really need should be a priority.
JustMX
10/3/2022 2:21pm
And another point,

I know several tracks here in the south east have been sold to developers.

Devils ridge in sanford, nc had about 200 sprinklers and 2 multi cylinder water pumps.

Might be able to get a deal.

Hell, I have a brand new, never used, 10 hp 3" electric pump that was never installed.

I need to take some pics and post in classifieds.
Racerx930
10/3/2022 6:24pm
Wow, my 6 year old post revived. Not much has changed on my end other than owning a 2nd location with shittier dirt that takes twice as much water. The ideal of just "Turning on the water" still appeals to me. With as hot and dry as it is it's not uncommon for us to run 2 water trucks for 6 hours a day.
Phil109
10/3/2022 6:34pm
3 Palms action sports park in Conroe, Tx. has a sprinkler system on the main track. It’s had it for a long time. Could prob reach out to them for questions.
10/4/2022 12:25am
Diamond Dons sprinkler system basically created a big wet spot in front of each sprinkler so it’s a bad model in that respect however a little work in his system “might” make it better. I would have preferred he had a reliable water truck and crew but that didn’t work out this year either.

Build a section and see if a small “proof of concept” works for you before a full commitment. A driverless water truck sounds ideal!
10/4/2022 3:55am
If anyone wants a second opinion on irrigation designs, just hit me!
I have been working with designing irrigation system for 8 years in Denmark, for Motocross tracks, golf courses, Royal Castles etc. :-)

Post a reply to: Track sprinkler system, who here has put one in?

The Latest