Track rat getting burnt out on tracks

yz133rider
Poor prep, dusty conditions, jump fest outdoor sx style tracks for amateurs who have no business with sx is starting to burn me out.

My last crash was a good one. You hit a large step up into a slight left, into a set of six whoops, which leads directly to a triple, double. No room between the obstacles or the slight curve. What could go wrong?

Anyway I'm considering looking into hare scrambles type stuff. Where do people who are into that stuff practice? I'm in the northeast.

Two tracks within two hours rest are 2-4 hours away.

If the tracks would stop filling every Inch of the course with jumps, whoops, and combinations it would be much better. I don't mind the jumps, but it shouldn't be turn jump jump , turn jump , turn jump etc. Have some straights, some off cambers, some a turns, put some weird bumps in the center of corners, make it tricky but let us ride on the ground some time too.

|
Husky360
7/3/2017 1:24pm
I read posts like yours fairly often. How will the tracks remain open when MX racers are leaving to go off road?
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/3/2017 1:32pm
There is always the option of not hitting that particular jump, especially if you aren't in a competition setting. I love tracks with difficult jumps because it separates the men from the boys. Plus there's nothing like sending a 400 pound machine over a 100ft+ jump.
yz133rider
7/3/2017 1:34pm
Answer is, most of them won't.

Many tracks cry about poor turn out, but it's the track prep and conditions that lead to poor turnout in this area. If the track is prepped well, it's busy every single time they are open. Only problem that track is a jump fest now. I'm getting over that style of riding.
yz133rider
7/3/2017 1:37pm
bh84 wrote:
There is always the option of not hitting that particular jump, especially if you aren't in a competition setting. I love tracks with difficult jumps because...
There is always the option of not hitting that particular jump, especially if you aren't in a competition setting. I love tracks with difficult jumps because it separates the men from the boys. Plus there's nothing like sending a 400 pound machine over a 100ft+ jump.
Yes that's true, but there aren't any sections of the tracks left that aren't filled with jumps anymore is my whole point. No time to ride, set up for corners, get a good flow, and actually be on the ground it's all setting up for the next jump and landing from a jump. That's the whole lap now it seems.

The Shop

Turbojez
7/3/2017 1:55pm
yz133rider wrote:
Yes that's true, but there aren't any sections of the tracks left that aren't filled with jumps anymore is my whole point. No time to ride...
Yes that's true, but there aren't any sections of the tracks left that aren't filled with jumps anymore is my whole point. No time to ride, set up for corners, get a good flow, and actually be on the ground it's all setting up for the next jump and landing from a jump. That's the whole lap now it seems.
You definitely need some holidays in europe. With your bike. You're gonna love our tracks.
motosurf
7/3/2017 2:02pm
bh84 wrote:
There is always the option of not hitting that particular jump, especially if you aren't in a competition setting. I love tracks with difficult jumps because...
I hope your bike isn't 400 pounds
MR. X
7/3/2017 2:37pm
bh84 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
No wonder he crashed ,he tried taking an 883 sportster on an MX track.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/3/2017 2:41pm
bh84 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
I believe he rides a bike with training wheels otherwise known as a quad.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/3/2017 2:41pm
bh84 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
I'm one of those guys who raced quads and bikes growing up. Love both but there is nothing quite like hitting a jump that big on a machine that big, especially as a 150lb string bean!
Zaugg
7/3/2017 2:52pm
In the end...all riders tend towards the sumo my son. It is the way...it is the truth...it is the light.

If you guys have supermoto near you. Give it a try.

I got sick of the stretched out supercross tracks passing themselves off as motorcross tracks (I'm talking to you Pala). Tried supermoto and had an absolute blast.

All the fun of dirt and street without the expense of street but with all the grip...until you're in the dirt. haha

Take off the front brake, add some flat track tires, and you got yourself a dirt tracker. Two for one deal.

I still love my 125 though...keeps me from doing the dumb shit.

Just a thought...
crowe176
7/3/2017 3:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 3:04pm
Most tracks around here are very well prepped IMO, compared to the mid 90's.. The main issues they face are neighbors complaining.

Motocross tracks haven't changed in 25 years around here. If anything, they've become more tame with the evolution of keeping a good flow, and making the jumps "safer". Look at Larocco's leap. It's always been huge, but I remember when the landing was the size of a whoop, and would destroy a bike if you didn't land in the 6" sweet spot.

I'm 40, and don't hit all the jumps I used to, but I like showing up to the track knowing a jump I hit 20 years ago is there if I feel froggy.

EDIT: It sounds like the tracks you ride are like shitty fair race tracks. I used to live in a area where I had to drive 3 hours to ride a decent track, and it was miserable. Ride what you can, harescrambles are a lot of fun.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
7/3/2017 3:05pm
yz133 where in the northeast are you located eh?
gt80rider
7/3/2017 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 3:13pm
bh84 wrote:
motosurf wrote:
Quad rider.... Sigh...

On the tracks... Too many track owners listening to, and building tracks for a small handful of A riders instead of where all the money is at, Vets and B/C riders....
hyler199
7/3/2017 3:10pm
Start looking at GNCC and WYNOA or however its spelt. Im lucky to have a lot of great forests around Toronto and a few local clubs for the XC/Enduro scene with tonnes of tracks and events.

As long as you start in the C class or something and just ride youll have a good time and better practice. Plus 2 hours is a lot longer than it feels and you get to watch the afternoon class after with a beer or two...

After buying my first bike a couple years ago, I wasted about 3 months till I entered C class racing and just took my time. I cant jump for shit but most tracks have a mix and catered for every body.
yz133rider
7/3/2017 3:11pm
ebers wrote:
yz133 where in the northeast are you located eh?
Just Outside of Philadelphia
mx317
7/3/2017 5:04pm
gt80rider wrote:
Quad rider.... Sigh... On the tracks... Too many track owners listening to, and building tracks for a small handful of A riders instead of where all...
Quad rider.... Sigh...

On the tracks... Too many track owners listening to, and building tracks for a small handful of A riders instead of where all the money is at, Vets and B/C riders....
This ^^^
yz133rider
7/3/2017 5:24pm
gt80rider wrote:
Quad rider.... Sigh... On the tracks... Too many track owners listening to, and building tracks for a small handful of A riders instead of where all...
Quad rider.... Sigh...

mx317 wrote:
This ^^^
I'd agree with that. And as far as rolling things you aren't comfortable with, before you know it your rolling more than half the track and then it's absolutely zero fun. Less jumps more riding. Old school Mx style or gp style tracks is what I want.
Hut
7/3/2017 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 7:10pm
I heard they separated the men from the boys with a prybar in the "quad community"
Naanak
7/3/2017 6:03pm
FOD? Going by the section description it sounds like that. if it is that section it was fine before they put the whoops. If they got rid of them it would be fine. Overall that track isn't sx like at all but the whoops are sketchy.
yz133rider
7/3/2017 6:30pm
Naanak wrote:
FOD? Going by the section description it sounds like that. if it is that section it was fine before they put the whoops. If they got...
FOD? Going by the section description it sounds like that. if it is that section it was fine before they put the whoops. If they got rid of them it would be fine. Overall that track isn't sx like at all but the whoops are sketchy.
Nailed it. My problem with fod now is they keep adding more and more jumps. They used to have several corners with straights between them, and now they keep filling them in with jumps. Small jumps, dopey jumps, lots of jumps, everything they can think of. Less is more sometimes.
Naanak
7/3/2017 6:42pm
Naanak wrote:
FOD? Going by the section description it sounds like that. if it is that section it was fine before they put the whoops. If they got...
yz133rider wrote:
Nailed it. My problem with fod now is they keep adding more and more jumps. They used to have several corners with straights between them, and...
Nailed it. My problem with fod now is they keep adding more and more jumps. They used to have several corners with straights between them, and now they keep filling them in with jumps. Small jumps, dopey jumps, lots of jumps, everything they can think of. Less is more sometimes.
Yeah I agree. I still like it how it is but I can see what your saying. It was fun being wide open in a few straights.
yz133rider
7/3/2017 6:54pm
Naanak wrote:
Yeah I agree. I still like it how it is but I can see what your saying. It was fun being wide open in a few...
Yeah I agree. I still like it how it is but I can see what your saying. It was fun being wide open in a few straights.
Fod is the best track around for sure they really stay on top of maintenance and prep so that's huge. Nice that you somewhat see what I'm saying, most people seem to want to jump all over anyone who thinks more jumps is bad, they are fun but they shouldn't be the whole track.
7/3/2017 7:00pm
Next time you are at your local track or any track, count how many jumps that track has. My standard has always been 10-12 jumps is plenty on any outdoor track. Do the math. On a track with 10 jumps you will be in the air over 200 times if you run two 5 lap practice sessions and two 5 lap motos. Ride two classes with practice that goes up to 400 times you are in the air. Okay, now 12 jumps------480. Almost 500 times in the air. Starting to sound crazy? How many more jumps do you need where you ride?
7/3/2017 7:03pm
Next time you are at your local track or any track, count how many jumps that track has. My standard has always been 10-12 jumps is...
Next time you are at your local track or any track, count how many jumps that track has. My standard has always been 10-12 jumps is plenty on any outdoor track. Do the math. On a track with 10 jumps you will be in the air over 200 times if you run two 5 lap practice sessions and two 5 lap motos. Ride two classes with practice that goes up to 400 times you are in the air. Okay, now 12 jumps------480. Almost 500 times in the air. Starting to sound crazy? How many more jumps do you need where you ride?
This is actually a pretty good rule of thumb that I haven't heard before. It's nuggets like this that get me through the endless stewart/dungey threads and keep me on Vital.
nate1001
7/3/2017 7:05pm
Look into a reading anthracite pass. $125 a year and you can ride any of their 1000's of acres. Lots of single track, double track, hill climbs, wide open play areas, etc... All kinds of terrain too. Dirt, sand like coal, rocks. Lots of racers around here ride there.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
7/3/2017 7:14pm
yz133rider wrote:
Poor prep, dusty conditions, jump fest outdoor sx style tracks for amateurs who have no business with sx is starting to burn me out. My last...
Poor prep, dusty conditions, jump fest outdoor sx style tracks for amateurs who have no business with sx is starting to burn me out.

My last crash was a good one. You hit a large step up into a slight left, into a set of six whoops, which leads directly to a triple, double. No room between the obstacles or the slight curve. What could go wrong?

Anyway I'm considering looking into hare scrambles type stuff. Where do people who are into that stuff practice? I'm in the northeast.

Two tracks within two hours rest are 2-4 hours away.

If the tracks would stop filling every Inch of the course with jumps, whoops, and combinations it would be much better. I don't mind the jumps, but it shouldn't be turn jump jump , turn jump , turn jump etc. Have some straights, some off cambers, some a turns, put some weird bumps in the center of corners, make it tricky but let us ride on the ground some time too.

Do you live anywhere near where the J Day events are being held? Those things look AMAZING!
ruskymx
7/3/2017 7:47pm
Did you ever go to Sleepy Hollow? It's not a jump filled track but there are some. I'm not sure how they prep it for practice weekends. It's probably about 1.5 hours from you. Head up the NE extension and then 78 west until exit 1.

Also, the Reading Anthracite land has tons of area to ride. I grew up riding on that stuff before you had to pay. Idiots would damage equipment and I'm guessing a lawsuit(s) brought on the pay to play deal. It's been years since I rode on that property so I couldn't tell you how it is recently but I do see a lot of bikes/quads heading up that way on the weekends. I used to know the trails up there like the back of my hand. I lived in Pottsville at the time and could get just about anywhere in Schuylkill County all through trails with a few road crossings here and there.

I recently picked up a 2004 YZ125 (and still rebuilding a 2000 YZ250) and was thinking about getting a pass so I had somewhere to ride without having to worry about being chased/fined.

Post a reply to: Track rat getting burnt out on tracks

The Latest