Track prep...no excuses

reynardfan1
Fantasy
3626th
7/2/2017 9:32am
I just finished watching red bud and all the tracks we have visited before this in the tour need to take notes.

Red bud is always prepped perfectly, never a stupid slot car mess of mulch and mud...

Made for awesome racing and multiple lines and still the cream rose to the top...

No excuses...some tracks need to take note, this is how you do it. Millville will be amazing too...always is done well...
|
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
7/2/2017 9:37am
Red bud is gnarly bro, everyone agrees on that. Baggett seemed to disagree with you when he labeled the track as "one-lined" on the podium in moto 1. I thought it looked great and thought I saw outsides being used quite a lot.

I really think it's just the tracks towards the latter half of the year, they're just better.
DC
7/2/2017 9:48am
Guys, the weather leading up to the event has so much more to do with the way the track turns out than you realize. High Point was hit by a typhoon, and we barely rescued it. Muddy Creek, we knew it was coming and they had time to prep the track, but then it turned out to be smooth and slightly one-lined. RedBud was perfect, and hopefully Southwick will just be good old Southwick...

DC
Racer X
Crush
7/2/2017 9:55am
DC wrote:
Guys, the weather leading up to the event has so much more to do with the way the track turns out than you realize. High Point...
Guys, the weather leading up to the event has so much more to do with the way the track turns out than you realize. High Point was hit by a typhoon, and we barely rescued it. Muddy Creek, we knew it was coming and they had time to prep the track, but then it turned out to be smooth and slightly one-lined. RedBud was perfect, and hopefully Southwick will just be good old Southwick...

DC
Racer X
Hey DC...

I'm sure you have but how much thought is put into where you rip/water?

Would there be merit in really getting after it in the turns and leaving the straights quite light, to try and remove the super long balance beam ruts so the guys can move around a bit... ?

The Shop

DC
7/2/2017 10:01am
Yes, Crush, and I agree with you, we've had some long, straight rut sections that seem to need more work, but given the limited time they have between motos, jump faces are often the priority. If you go through the pits and ask a dozen guys their opinion after a moto, you will get a dozen different answers and twice as many suggestions!

DC
Racer X
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
7/2/2017 10:15am
Crush wrote:
Hey DC... I'm sure you have but how much thought is put into where you rip/water? Would there be merit in really getting after it in...
Hey DC...

I'm sure you have but how much thought is put into where you rip/water?

Would there be merit in really getting after it in the turns and leaving the straights quite light, to try and remove the super long balance beam ruts so the guys can move around a bit... ?
There's a lot of communications between the riders and folks involved who can make things happen on the track. Some of it relates to safety, some of it on track prep.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3626th
7/2/2017 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 12:04pm
DC wrote:
Yes, Crush, and I agree with you, we've had some long, straight rut sections that seem to need more work, but given the limited time they...
Yes, Crush, and I agree with you, we've had some long, straight rut sections that seem to need more work, but given the limited time they have between motos, jump faces are often the priority. If you go through the pits and ask a dozen guys their opinion after a moto, you will get a dozen different answers and twice as many suggestions!

DC
Racer X
Fair enough and I am sure the weather plays a huge role. So then My question is...(only asking to ask...not criticizing necessarily, red bud was just so good and always seems to be)

How much grooming goes on inbeteeen Moto's?

The cool thing about the 90s was watching lines develop as the race went on...the lines would get deeper and some would get faster while other lines had to be abandoned...it also slowed the race down in the beginning and allowed for riders to get faster as the lines developed...

These guys are pegs deep in ruts on lap 1...
7/2/2017 12:12pm
Given the number of riders complaining almost each week, I'd like to know if anyone is actually listening? Of course weather plays a roll, but the intentional deep ripping and watering to the point of mud in the morning on a normal race weekend is somewhat confusing.

As to jump faces being the priority - the other long standing comment from riders and "industry" people seems to be there are too many jumps... I would agree as a fan and spectator... so remove some of the SX feel to nationals and you'll have more time to work on the rest of the track. Win/win.

DC
7/2/2017 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 12:48pm
We have about ten minutes between the motos to work on the track most of the time. There's not a lot you can do, so you do it before the bike get out on the track.

"Given the number of riders complaining almost each week, I'd like to know if anyone is actually listening?"

I don't know these numbers of actual racers complaining. We hear more from the riders when the tracks are too smooth, and that makes it hard to pass. So yes, someone is listening. But you prepare for the worst from the weather, and we often get it.

We are six rounds down, six to go, good racing in both classes, low injury rate (knock on wood)... I believe those are the win/wins that matter most.

DC
Racer X
philG
7/2/2017 12:50pm
Can we get a sniper to take out the towel spinners... another retard with a yellow one on top of a blind jump...

And the more we get the more we complain....

NBC Gold is awesome, pic quality is great, but jesus H christ , if i was at the races , the guy announcing the riders would be top of my 'gotta go ' list.

Motofinne
7/2/2017 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 1:19pm
philG wrote:
Can we get a sniper to take out the towel spinners... another retard with a yellow one on top of a blind jump... And the more...
Can we get a sniper to take out the towel spinners... another retard with a yellow one on top of a blind jump...

And the more we get the more we complain....

NBC Gold is awesome, pic quality is great, but jesus H christ , if i was at the races , the guy announcing the riders would be top of my 'gotta go ' list.

I think the tracks have been providing good racing this year. Some of them were way too deep and soft but i feel like Red Bud provided with the best track so far. There were ruts and berms in the corners and only holes/bumps in the straights.

But the idiot team members with waiving towels 30 cm from the track and sometimes on the track needs to stop. I see zero purpose with the waiving towels. Will the riders be 2 seconds/lap slower if MX Sports removes them or what?

There have been situations where the towel/arm has almost hit an other rider.

It's ridiculous. Get them off the track.

Bearuno
7/2/2017 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 2:54pm
Seriously, there was a f**kwit besides the track waving a yellow towel?

The only people near the track should be flaggers / Marshalls / medical and emergency personal and Media people that take responsibility for their own safety (and don't endanger others, like that twat who took out Courtney Duncan last year).

For me, seeing these towel waivers / team people out around the course at US Nationals has always been a head scratcher. Why in hell is this allowed? They should only be in a pit row or designated signalling row. If a team wants spotters, let them be back behind the spectator fence. A long established 'Boys Club', I think it might come down to.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
7/2/2017 3:10pm
Bearuno wrote:
Seriously, there was a f**kwit besides the track waving a yellow towel? The only people near the track should be flaggers / Marshalls / medical and...

The only people near the track should be flaggers / Marshalls / medical and emergency personal and Media people that take responsibility for their own safety (and don't endanger others, like that twat who took out Courtney Duncan last year).

For me, seeing these towel waivers / team people out around the course at US Nationals has always been a head scratcher. Why in hell is this allowed? They should only be in a pit row or designated signalling row. If a team wants spotters, let them be back behind the spectator fence. A long established 'Boys Club', I think it might come down to.
I agree with your last statement. The team guys inside the fence has always been an issue for me. It comes off as amateurish at best. You don't see Repsol Honda guys standing at the apex of a turn, or along some straight waiving towels and clapping for their riders in MotoGP.

Flaggers and Officials only along the track please...
KDXGarage
7/2/2017 3:15pm
Yes, get rid of the company cheerleaders.

Also, are there no local people who would go pick up rocks off the track? Why so many rocks?? They serve no benefit.
downard254
7/2/2017 3:24pm
kzizok wrote:
Hut wrote:
Is that thread title trying to imply that people complaining is why Red Bud was awesome?...lol
kzizok wrote:
I think so.Blink
Nope, that's not what it was implying, all it was implying was that somehow, the last two weeks the tracks have been awesome in my eyes. You can disagree if you'd like, but for whatever the reason, and I really don't care how it all came about, but the last two weeks that tracks have been prepped to a level not seen for a while and I for one, approve.
mb60
7/2/2017 3:52pm
Is that why the top 12 in the 250 class ran the same for 30 minutes ?? Come on man it's motocross !!!!!
brimx153
7/2/2017 4:07pm
mb60 wrote:
Is that why the top 12 in the 250 class ran the same for 30 minutes ?? Come on man it's motocross !!!!!
On Tv ,There were 18 passes shown ,in moto 1 450s , that does nt even count Anderson passes . Track prep was great imo
BobPA
7/2/2017 5:28pm
MX Guy wrote:
Red bud is gnarly bro, everyone agrees on that. Baggett seemed to disagree with you when he labeled the track as "one-lined" on the podium in...
Red bud is gnarly bro, everyone agrees on that. Baggett seemed to disagree with you when he labeled the track as "one-lined" on the podium in moto 1. I thought it looked great and thought I saw outsides being used quite a lot.

I really think it's just the tracks towards the latter half of the year, they're just better.
From my couch it looked kind of hard to pass at Red Bud...
PastranaWho
7/2/2017 6:26pm
Do you still follow supercross and motocross on TV?
Oh yeah, I watch all of the races. I also read all the stuff online as well. I would say the thing I don’t like now, is that they try to make every track have the best dirt, and that kind of takes away from some of the variations that tracks had in the past. If you look back to 2004 and Hangtown, that place was really hard packed. And some places were dusty, or Southwick was more sandy, but to me, now the dirt is all kind of the same. I would leave the tracks in their elements and leave them as they are.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/06/27/where-are-they-now-broc-hepler
DC
7/2/2017 7:03pm
"How about at least 1 track on the national schedule that's just grass with no bulldozers or ripping allowed. Just water the grass and let the tack do what it's gonna do. You know, a real old school track like Unadilla use to be a long time ago."

Reese, that's a really good idea, and maybe worth a try at some point!

DC
Racer X
PRM31
7/2/2017 7:16pm
Old school Unadilla-like!

I rode the Castle Rock, CO track the week after the national in '82(?) and it was brutal! Prep for that national mainly consisted of cutting grass. By late in the day it was rough!

Please, please, please, no deep ripping rut fests!!!!
JustMX
7/2/2017 7:23pm
Bearuno wrote:
Seriously, there was a f**kwit besides the track waving a yellow towel? The only people near the track should be flaggers / Marshalls / medical and...

avidchimp wrote:
I agree with your last statement. The team guys inside the fence has always been an issue for me. It comes off as amateurish at best...
I agree with your last statement. The team guys inside the fence has always been an issue for me. It comes off as amateurish at best. You don't see Repsol Honda guys standing at the apex of a turn, or along some straight waiving towels and clapping for their riders in MotoGP.

Flaggers and Officials only along the track please...
I agree so much with this.

Why should factory teams have the advantage of all these guys spread out everywhere? They can't help the riders except in the mechanics area.
All of the waving towels really looks rinky dink.
byke
7/2/2017 7:25pm
Grass? Remember Stewart in 2009 at Daytona? Don't think many riders would like grass, way too slick.
FTB
7/2/2017 7:27pm
MX Guy wrote:
Red bud is gnarly bro, everyone agrees on that. Baggett seemed to disagree with you when he labeled the track as "one-lined" on the podium in...

Tomac was on the wrong line for half of moto 2. Might be some truth in Baggets words,
Hut
7/2/2017 7:51pm
PRM31 wrote:
Old school Unadilla-like! I rode the Castle Rock, CO track the week after the national in '82(?) and it was brutal! Prep for that national mainly...
Old school Unadilla-like!

I rode the Castle Rock, CO track the week after the national in '82(?) and it was brutal! Prep for that national mainly consisted of cutting grass. By late in the day it was rough!

Please, please, please, no deep ripping rut fests!!!!
I heard there was a pro race at Corvallis Montana like that back in the day. Cool
7/2/2017 8:07pm
I was more concerned with Webb getting launched off his bike and coming like a foot short of being impaled by a wooden stake that holds the repeater banners up. I get you can never make motocross safe but man there has to be a better way to hold those things up.
Crush
7/2/2017 8:34pm
DC wrote:
Yes, Crush, and I agree with you, we've had some long, straight rut sections that seem to need more work, but given the limited time they...

DC
Racer X
Is it about he work in between Motos or before the race.

If you only ripped and watered the turns and prepared the straights as if there was rain coming then the riders could make line choices coming into turns instead of the slot-car track stuff...

I definitely agree whatever time between Motos should be about safety.
Jrewing
7/3/2017 2:48am
DC wrote:
"How about at least 1 track on the national schedule that's just grass with no bulldozers or ripping allowed. Just water the grass and let the...
"How about at least 1 track on the national schedule that's just grass with no bulldozers or ripping allowed. Just water the grass and let the tack do what it's gonna do. You know, a real old school track like Unadilla use to be a long time ago."

Reese, that's a really good idea, and maybe worth a try at some point!

DC
Racer X
1327 over 50 Vet class riders just got their first erection without the aid of blue pills!!!!

Post a reply to: Track prep...no excuses

The Latest