Track or trail, and why?

RedRider31
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:41pm
Everybody in here's probably a fan of motocross, but do you personally prefer riding on an mx track or the trails? What is it about that aspect of riding that you prefer? Do some of you do both with a pretty even ratio?

I'll start. I started with a little TT-R125 about 2 years ago just to cruise the trails with a buddy that was trying to get some of his friends to ride, since he had been riding dirt for a year by himself. I never intended to go bigger because I felt 28 was way too old to start on dirtbikes, but a few weeks later, there I am trying to clear a LITTLE tabletop at a track and 4th gear pinned was barely cutting it. Got an mx bike and fell in love with riding at the track. I'll still do trails about 5 or 6 times a year, but prefer the track. Plus, it's an all day event going up into the mountains to get to the trails.
|
GHOPPER
12/8/2010 8:04am
I used to ride alot of trails because thats what my friends liked, but now that I live in so-ca I just ride tracks. The trails here suck compared to nor-cal and washington, plus I can be at the track at 9am and be done by noon.
RedRider31
12/8/2010 8:47am
Nice. Yea, quick access is nice about the tracks. I personally find it more gratifying to conquer a new jump than trail obstacles, too.
jndmx
12/8/2010 8:49am
No legal trails here in CT.
Cygnus
12/8/2010 8:58am
jndmx wrote:
No legal trails here in CT.
When trails are outlawed only outlaws will ride trails.

The Shop

jgilps617
12/8/2010 8:59am
i like to switch it up for cross training. if you can be 3rd gear wide open riding between trees that are so close you clip your handlebars it becomes easy to pass when racing gets tight on a track. i also think trail riding helps you look ahead more because when your flying threw the woods you have to be fully aware of trees, branches, etc. otherwise your ass is guna be bouncing off trees like a ping pong ball. i like track more then trail but i always enjoy a good day of blasting threw the woods to change up pace. plus trails are free to ride and it always an adventure
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
12/8/2010 9:11am
I miss riding the track, a lot, but my body can't keep up with that level of exertion for more than a 1/4 lap. But there is nothing like a great, long loop.
12/8/2010 9:14am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2010 9:16am
Track, but riding trails really helps build some skills, you don't know whats coming so you always have to look far ahead and always focus. If you go pretty fast, you will have to brake harder and maneuver the bike quicker to make a corner or tree you were not expecting! ...it made me realize I can brake much harder than I normally do on the track.
Cygnus
12/8/2010 9:15am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2010 9:47am
I have to say track due to the close proximity to my house.

Kinetic1
12/8/2010 9:21am
I like both. I ride track more just because it's easier though. To get to decent trail around here is at minimum an hour and ten minute drive. There is a trail head about 45 minutes from here but it's a litle short and no single track. I have a track at my uncles house which is 15 minutes away and a big outdoor track about 25 minutes away from my house.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
12/8/2010 9:32am
Track.

Personal preference.
12/8/2010 9:57am
I love tracks, but I would take a sick new trail up in the pines over a new track any day.

That being said, I ride tracks more often because, as has been said, they are more accessible
12/8/2010 9:58am
Track because I think it's safer. I had a buddy die trail riding as he collided with an oncoming rider.
mws02
12/8/2010 10:05am
Track; I like to break down the sections and figure out how to go faster and beat lap times.
RedRider31
12/8/2010 11:01am
TripleFive wrote:
Track because I think it's safer. I had a buddy die trail riding as he collided with an oncoming rider.
That's why I never ride Rampart. F*** that place.
RedRider31
12/8/2010 11:02am
jgilps617 wrote:
i like to switch it up for cross training. if you can be 3rd gear wide open riding between trees that are so close you clip...
i like to switch it up for cross training. if you can be 3rd gear wide open riding between trees that are so close you clip your handlebars it becomes easy to pass when racing gets tight on a track. i also think trail riding helps you look ahead more because when your flying threw the woods you have to be fully aware of trees, branches, etc. otherwise your ass is guna be bouncing off trees like a ping pong ball. i like track more then trail but i always enjoy a good day of blasting threw the woods to change up pace. plus trails are free to ride and it always an adventure
i also think trail riding helps you look ahead more because when your flying threw the woods you have to be fully aware of trees

That's a very good point!
Cygnus
12/8/2010 11:10am
TripleFive wrote:
RedRider31 wrote:
That's why I never ride Rampart. F*** that place.
I just go during the week. Not bad at all.
RedRider31
12/8/2010 11:13am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2010 11:14am
That is true. Never on the weekends, though.

Up at Divide, even on summer Saturdays, you rarely come across other riders. Trails are better, too, IMO.
friday10
12/8/2010 11:17am
I like to do both equally, I am happy on my motorcycle!
BKoonts
12/8/2010 11:40am
I learned how to ride in the trails of central NJ (translation - I got my ass kicked all over the trails) so I stayed away from them for years once I had access to tracks. But, in Florida I can register my bike with the DMV and ride legally in any state park so I have been reacquainted with trail riding and I must say it is a lot of fun for a change of pace.
12/8/2010 12:14pm
I like to hit the trails with friends and family, and moto with the boys.
12/8/2010 12:16pm
jgilps617 wrote:
i like to switch it up for cross training. if you can be 3rd gear wide open riding between trees that are so close you clip...
ah ya beat me too it, the idea of tight woods riding making passing easier on the track is
a great point also, and if you have gone trail riding with a buddy and he's ahead of you, often the urge to pass is too much so it makes for some close bar to bar battles which is great fun.

The only issue I have with trail riding is my sense of direction is non existent and the possibility of a mechanical issue or injury in no man's land! A basic tool pack, GPS and cell phone would be essential for those issues.

I recall Pingree trail riding with some buddys and one of them broke his neck, Dostal was it? He would have been screwed if he could not have called in medivac.
Titan1
12/8/2010 12:53pm
After riding exclusively tracks my entire life, I was introduced to single track about 10 years ago...and to be honest, the desire to ride a track completely left me after my first true single track ride.

I still ride tracks though (depends on who I'm riding with), and I've gotta say, after pushing it for miles and miles and miles and miles on single track, it drastically changed my line selection on the track.

I'd say trail riding made me a better track rider...
TeamGreen
12/8/2010 1:24pm
Why not ride it all?

Moto, Baja, H & H, HS...etc.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
12/8/2010 1:25pm
I was primarily a track rider when I raced almost every weekend but now since I don't race much anymore I have been trying to hit the trails a lot. Had an awesome ride a couple weeks ago in about 6 inches of snow with a big group of riders. Easily one of the best times I've ever had on a motorcycle.
TeamGreen
12/8/2010 1:28pm
NV825 wrote:
I was primarily a track rider when I raced almost every weekend but now since I don't race much anymore I have been trying to hit...
I was primarily a track rider when I raced almost every weekend but now since I don't race much anymore I have been trying to hit the trails a lot. Had an awesome ride a couple weeks ago in about 6 inches of snow with a big group of riders. Easily one of the best times I've ever had on a motorcycle.
Please STOP displaying that video of me on my KX!
race
12/8/2010 1:59pm
GHOPPER wrote:
I used to ride alot of trails because thats what my friends liked, but now that I live in so-ca I just ride tracks. The trails...
I used to ride alot of trails because thats what my friends liked, but now that I live in so-ca I just ride tracks. The trails here suck compared to nor-cal and washington, plus I can be at the track at 9am and be done by noon.
You just need to figure out where the good stuff is. You got the wide open desert and mountains full of trails.

On some rides you can start on the desert floor in 100 degree temps and 40 minutes later you're up in the mountains railing some singletrack thru a forest with snow on the ground still. How about an endless shallow canyon with rollercoaster lines crisscrossing the canyon walls. How about humongous hillclimbs that will have your throttle hand cramping from being held WFO so long. And if you want sand whoops there's no shortage of those either in every size.

Having said that I'm more into tracks for the challenge and being able to gauge one's progress and technique. But we still try to get in one or two days of trail riding in the desert ... if we're lucky right after a rain. Usually 4-5 of us just playing follow-the-leader.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
12/8/2010 2:02pm
Trails. I do ride moto on occasion...so my ratio is probably 90/10 or 85/15.

I grew up riding trails with my family and it's just something I love to do. Moto is almost foreign to me, but I still like to go and practice corners and attempt to go fast.
12/8/2010 2:08pm
I prefer the track but the trail is easier to get to, I hate getting lost! I believe the track is safer
RedRider31
12/8/2010 2:14pm
There's something satisfying making a huge loop through the mountains and woods with out breaking yourself or your bike on a rock, but it just seems more "WOOHOO!" when you're having a good day flowing on a track. I guess I'm just not fast enough through the trees to have as much fun as I do on the track.
12/9/2010 12:11pm
I guess right now in my life, with the mind of a young man, I'm more suited for a track. I don't really enjoy riding as much unless I'm on the edge. Riding on the edge through trees on blind trails is just not my cup of tea.

Post a reply to: Track or trail, and why?

The Latest