Track in South Jersey Stafford Township

7/2/2015 10:38am Edited Date/Time 3/21/2018 11:28am
I am headed to Long Beach Island in August to visit family for a week. I ended up perusing Google maps looking at some of the old riding spots from back in the 80's/early '90's and noticed a track (a legit looking track) at the intersection of Stephenson Rd and highway 72. Is this a public track? Is it still running? I remember hearing of a state or township owned MX facility possibly going together in the area but never knew what the outcome was.
Address and GPS coordinates:

169-199 Stephenson Rd
Barnegat, NJ 08005

39.810164, -74.401851

I also used to ride the pit off of route 9 just South of Manahawkin in Eagleswood.
GPS Eagleswood, NJ

39.673190, -74.294395

It looks like there is still a bunch of tracks and trail back in there. That place was a great spot for middle Atlantic MX riders to train and ride during the winter months. I remember running into the Denglers, Carsten and bunch of other super fast Jersey/District 6 guys during the winter in there. There was that one massive double through the trees, I cased it bad one time and got up to find my hand pointed at a 90 degree angle to the right ouch!! Good times though. I still miss the winter riding of the New Jersey pine barrens. I would love to hear whats going on down there these days.
|
Tpog496
7/2/2015 10:41am
perusing.. Nice word choice bro.
7/2/2015 10:43am
Tpog496 wrote:
perusing.. Nice word choice bro.
I doubt many "bros" use that word. BRO......
ktm212
7/2/2015 10:59am
Thats a private track, if you can somehow get in with the ~10 people allowed there or hoist your bike over a 20 foot fence then you're in but don't count on it. Place is awesome though, full watering system and everything.
7/2/2015 11:44am
ktm212 wrote:
Thats a private track, if you can somehow get in with the ~10 people allowed there or hoist your bike over a 20 foot fence then...
Thats a private track, if you can somehow get in with the ~10 people allowed there or hoist your bike over a 20 foot fence then you're in but don't count on it. Place is awesome though, full watering system and everything.
Thanks, I am not going to have my bike with me. I just thought it might have been the public track that was supposedly going in there. Are the owners local NJ pro's? Or just hardcore enthusiasts?

The Shop

njracer46
7/2/2015 2:44pm
I'm sure you will find many private tracks around that area. A track opened up at Millville speedway that is alright. I love me some pine Barron's riding though! Growing up my dad always use to take me to the forked river area but for some reason we started going somewhere else. Been going there awhile by myself so I know the area pretty well now. It's in lacy township exit 69 off the parkway. A few big open areas with some jumps and so many corner/whoop tracks around the whole place. Tons of fun trails as well. If you let me know what week in August and there isn't a race I want to do that weekend I'll come down and ride! Also there is the Clayton pits, never been but it looks alright. Doesn't look nearly as big as the place I go but you won't find 150 ft jumps where I go.

I'll be praying for rain that week if you decide to come ride!
Tom_Ryan
7/2/2015 3:50pm
njracer46 wrote:
I'm sure you will find many private tracks around that area. A track opened up at Millville speedway that is alright. I love me some pine...
I'm sure you will find many private tracks around that area. A track opened up at Millville speedway that is alright. I love me some pine Barron's riding though! Growing up my dad always use to take me to the forked river area but for some reason we started going somewhere else. Been going there awhile by myself so I know the area pretty well now. It's in lacy township exit 69 off the parkway. A few big open areas with some jumps and so many corner/whoop tracks around the whole place. Tons of fun trails as well. If you let me know what week in August and there isn't a race I want to do that weekend I'll come down and ride! Also there is the Clayton pits, never been but it looks alright. Doesn't look nearly as big as the place I go but you won't find 150 ft jumps where I go.

Could you email me directions to the pit you are talking about if you wouldn't ride I ride millville or etown every weekend and I'm looking for a pit to train at during winter just lost one in little egg harbor.
njracer46
7/2/2015 5:00pm
Tom_Ryan wrote:
Could you email me directions to the pit you are talking about if you wouldn't ride I ride millville or etown every weekend and I'm looking...
Could you email me directions to the pit you are talking about if you wouldn't ride I ride millville or etown every weekend and I'm looking for a pit to train at during winter just lost one in little egg harbor.
I can but it's alittle confusing to get to because you drive through the woods for 20-30 mins. Some days you can't even make it all the way back because of standing water. The road is pretty good right now because they fixed it in spring. There are a few turns you need to make driving in but I've got lost back there before riding and it's not fun. I'd be glad to show you around though
mxnick
7/2/2015 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 5:39pm
Couches pit, I think that is what that place was called? Looks like there is still a track out back. Man, what an epic track it was, and I remember that double in the woods. Huge, huge huge! It was really just two ant hills or something, and then someone like Dengler or whomever decided to jump it - which then created some urban legend.

That place was epic, as was the old DMV track (which was better, in my opinion), and the track behind the shopping center / mall where you paid the guy $10 or whatever. Miss those days. Used to park in the woods and ride all three places and connected by the GSP. We used to cross the GSP as well, that was kinda nuts but not that bad.

Whoever has the private track probably isnt pumped to have the GPS coordinates posted, but then again, its all right there to see on the internet....

edit: pics are from DMV track. Golf course now, I think.

Milk Man
7/2/2015 5:36pm
It would be much appreciated if you did not post GPS coordinates of the tracks we ride. The last thing we need is a bunch of people showing up and ruining our local riding spots. Thanks.
JerseyFresh
7/2/2015 6:04pm
I'm not going to copy/paste the OP, buuuuut.....winter training in SJ? As if it's drastically warmer than North Jersey? Most fast guys go to Florida for Winter AMs. Still cold as shit and sand still freezes.
JerseyFresh
7/2/2015 6:07pm
Foreman's was the best track in SJ til they moved. I rode one bad ass one in like 08 up near Six Flags. HUGE jumps. Have no clue who owned it though, it was a $10 donation as I recall.
njracer46
7/2/2015 6:16pm
I'm not going to copy/paste the OP, buuuuut.....winter training in SJ? As if it's drastically warmer than North Jersey? Most fast guys go to Florida for...
I'm not going to copy/paste the OP, buuuuut.....winter training in SJ? As if it's drastically warmer than North Jersey? Most fast guys go to Florida for Winter AMs. Still cold as shit and sand still freezes.
Exactly what I thought when I read that, still freezing temps and frozen ground. Some areas have really deep beach sand but most I've ridden have a harder base. Which will freeze and you will be skating around on ice in no time.
Talispam
7/2/2015 6:18pm
I was riding alone at a sand pit in southern jersey a little over a year ago and i ran into none other than Jason Lawrence and a few of his friends riding there, the guy absolutely rips, it's unbelievable how fast he still is.
7/2/2015 7:14pm
Milk Man wrote:
It would be much appreciated if you did not post GPS coordinates of the tracks we ride. The last thing we need is a bunch of...
It would be much appreciated if you did not post GPS coordinates of the tracks we ride. The last thing we need is a bunch of people showing up and ruining our local riding spots. Thanks.
That's what the guys before you started coming used to say lol ...
JerseyFresh
7/2/2015 7:21pm
Milk Man wrote:
It would be much appreciated if you did not post GPS coordinates of the tracks we ride. The last thing we need is a bunch of...
That's what the guys before you started coming used to say lol ...
The 'Man's got a point. Kinda weak move.
Tom_Ryan
7/2/2015 7:28pm
Tom_Ryan wrote:
Could you email me directions to the pit you are talking about if you wouldn't ride I ride millville or etown every weekend and I'm looking...
njracer46 wrote:
I can but it's alittle confusing to get to because you drive through the woods for 20-30 mins. Some days you can't even make it all...
I can but it's alittle confusing to get to because you drive through the woods for 20-30 mins. Some days you can't even make it all the way back because of standing water. The road is pretty good right now because they fixed it in spring. There are a few turns you need to make driving in but I've got lost back there before riding and it's not fun. I'd be glad to show you around though
Can you send me the directions. Maybe whenever you are free and i am not at the track we can meet up. shoot me a email tryan165900@gmail.com Thanks
iro
7/2/2015 7:28pm
Foreman's was the best track in SJ til they moved. I rode one bad ass one in like 08 up near Six Flags. HUGE jumps. Have...
Foreman's was the best track in SJ til they moved. I rode one bad ass one in like 08 up near Six Flags. HUGE jumps. Have no clue who owned it though, it was a $10 donation as I recall.
It was probably lepis' track. Not far off 195 about 15 minutes from 6 flags...
JerseyFresh
7/2/2015 8:45pm
Tom_Ryan wrote:
Can you send me the directions. Maybe whenever you are free and i am not at the track we can meet up. shoot me a email...
Can you send me the directions. Maybe whenever you are free and i am not at the track we can meet up. shoot me a email tryan165900@gmail.com Thanks
You see, now these guys' track is gonna get mobbed by bennies. Fuckin twat.
DL
7/2/2015 10:22pm
My old stomping grounds. Brings back good memories.
7/3/2015 12:26am
DL wrote:
Glad I could help bring back a good memory for ya DL Smile and to the other guys that didn't cry because I posted some google links . I had some of my best days riding with friends down there in South Jersey and some of my worst too. I learned a lot about how to ride a dirt bike in those pine barrens. In some of the shittiest weather too. Belle plains, Millville, Florence(where Tony D got hurt) Port Elizabeth and Manahawkin. Sorry to offend you real pro's that don't ride up north outside of June thru fucking September but back in the '80's we fucking went and rode South Jersey in the fall,winter,spring and loved every minute of it. Every day wasn't frozen and coming from Pa it was heaven (that time of year). In my view Jersey has some of the best unknown riding in the US. It's an epic training ground. Sand whoops that are three feet deep and sharp. as well as endless technical trails and features not many places have. I grew up in Pa live in Oregon but will always be fond of South Jersey.
mxnick
7/3/2015 12:41am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2015 12:42am
DL wrote:
Glad I could help bring back a good memory for ya DL :) and to the other guys that didn't cry because I posted some google...
Glad I could help bring back a good memory for ya DL Smile and to the other guys that didn't cry because I posted some google links . I had some of my best days riding with friends down there in South Jersey and some of my worst too. I learned a lot about how to ride a dirt bike in those pine barrens. In some of the shittiest weather too. Belle plains, Millville, Florence(where Tony D got hurt) Port Elizabeth and Manahawkin. Sorry to offend you real pro's that don't ride up north outside of June thru fucking September but back in the '80's we fucking went and rode South Jersey in the fall,winter,spring and loved every minute of it. Every day wasn't frozen and coming from Pa it was heaven (that time of year). In my view Jersey has some of the best unknown riding in the US. It's an epic training ground. Sand whoops that are three feet deep and sharp. as well as endless technical trails and features not many places have. I grew up in Pa live in Oregon but will always be fond of South Jersey.
Very well said!

Those were the days before the training facilities (MTF, Club Moto, GPF, etc) down in the deep south existed, and besides, who had the money or time to go all that way anyway? South Jersey was like a mecca back then.

The weather was always a little milder as compared to home....and the sandy soil didnt really freeze (as compared to PA or NY or wherever the dirt was hard packed and frozen), and if it did, you could ride on top of it and it would break up within a few laps.

And it might have been cold, but that didnt stop anyone from riding!

I used to wear the old Fox H2O paws and a extra jersey when the temps got below 40 degrees.During the winters of the very early 1990's I spent literally every day I was not in school riding down there. It was a 120 mile drive (each way) down the GSP, and we would ride 2+ tanks of gas through the bikes on each trip.

Very fond memories indeed.
7/3/2015 12:44am
mxnick wrote:
Very well said! Those were the days before the training facilities (MTF, Club Moto, GPF, etc) down in the deep south existed, and besides, who had...
Very well said!

Those were the days before the training facilities (MTF, Club Moto, GPF, etc) down in the deep south existed, and besides, who had the money or time to go all that way anyway? South Jersey was like a mecca back then.

The weather was always a little milder as compared to home....and the sandy soil didnt really freeze (as compared to PA or NY or wherever the dirt was hard packed and frozen), and if it did, you could ride on top of it and it would break up within a few laps.

And it might have been cold, but that didnt stop anyone from riding!

I used to wear the old Fox H2O paws and a extra jersey when the temps got below 40 degrees.During the winters of the very early 1990's I spent literally every day I was not in school riding down there. It was a 120 mile drive (each way) down the GSP, and we would ride 2+ tanks of gas through the bikes on each trip.

Very fond memories indeed.
Right on brother!!!!! Smile
7/3/2015 12:49am
njracer46 wrote:
I'm sure you will find many private tracks around that area. A track opened up at Millville speedway that is alright. I love me some pine...

That's what I love about South Jersey. You can find a sand pit and link together pieces of old tracks and create a sweet new one in just a few minutes and have epic battles with your buddies all day. The place is killer !!
7/3/2015 12:55am
Tom_Ryan wrote:
Can you send me the directions. Maybe whenever you are free and i am not at the track we can meet up. shoot me a email...
As it says in your sig "Lighten Up" Ya Twit Smile
7/3/2015 1:01am
mxnick wrote:
Couches pit, I think that is what that place was called? Looks like there is still a track out back. Man, what an epic track it...
Couches pit, I think that is what that place was called? Looks like there is still a track out back. Man, what an epic track it was, and I remember that double in the woods. Huge, huge huge! It was really just two ant hills or something, and then someone like Dengler or whomever decided to jump it - which then created some urban legend.

That place was epic, as was the old DMV track (which was better, in my opinion), and the track behind the shopping center / mall where you paid the guy $10 or whatever. Miss those days. Used to park in the woods and ride all three places and connected by the GSP. We used to cross the GSP as well, that was kinda nuts but not that bad.

Whoever has the private track probably isnt pumped to have the GPS coordinates posted, but then again, its all right there to see on the internet....

edit: pics are from DMV track. Golf course now, I think.

Those pics bring back memories! Thanks for posting them. I wish I had pics from back in the day. I remember getting calls from my buddies on a Saturday or Sunday morning, weather was questionable and we'd go for it anyway and end up in Millville or Port and have the most epic day. Sand, perfectly moist, the sun would come out and it would be 48-52 degrees and it was on! We would ride two or three tanks of fuel. Couldn't get enough....
njracer46
7/3/2015 8:39am
Yes except where I'm talking about is not a private track or anything like that. And it's a huge area with multiple pits with trails everywhere. I see a lot of people back there from other bikers, quads, side by sides, off road trucks going mudding. It's the people that ride around without helmets on leaving trash everywhere that I don't like. You act like these areas are super restricted private places. ( which technically they are) If you spent money to have a track built and a fence put up I understand you want to keep it a secert. This is not the case for the area I'm talking about, anyone can go and I see a lot of people every time I go. Just watch out for the park rangers, never go on holiday weekends. I always bring a trash bag or two and bring some trash out everytime I go.
scooter5002
7/3/2015 9:19am
Cold? Shit, used to ride in Calgary when it was -20C, back in the mid 90's. Rode til your hands went numb, then jump in the van to get warm again. Track was blue groove hardpack, frozen or otherwise, you ran the same tire, and it was no different for traction. I draw the line at just above freezing now, that's if I can get off the couch on a Sunday afternoon in January.
resetjet
7/3/2015 10:00am
Most of couches/frenchies/tuckerton/otis bog pit is still open. Walmart only took the north side and most of the trails. Probably won't be long though. The track on 72 is off limits as the other guy said. There are others. There is a track at PALS in egg harbor township, but a million dollars to join. Field of Dreams in millville and of course good ole raceway park in englishtown. As for pit riding in the pines, there are alot of them, but most just sandy whooped out stuff.....You can ride in the winter if you like ice and frozen sand......Just be careful in the pines, if a ranger sees you with no tags, they impound your bike on the spot.
njracer46
7/3/2015 10:29am
resetjet wrote:
Most of couches/frenchies/tuckerton/otis bog pit is still open. Walmart only took the north side and most of the trails. Probably won't be long though. The track...
Most of couches/frenchies/tuckerton/otis bog pit is still open. Walmart only took the north side and most of the trails. Probably won't be long though. The track on 72 is off limits as the other guy said. There are others. There is a track at PALS in egg harbor township, but a million dollars to join. Field of Dreams in millville and of course good ole raceway park in englishtown. As for pit riding in the pines, there are alot of them, but most just sandy whooped out stuff.....You can ride in the winter if you like ice and frozen sand......Just be careful in the pines, if a ranger sees you with no tags, they impound your bike on the spot.
I've been riding in a few areas in sj 50-100 times. Only had one run in with a ranger because we were riding a short cut back to our campsite really close to the parkway. I guess it depends which ranger you run into but we got about 500$ in tickets. That was well over 6 years ago, no problems since then. My dad and his friends got less because they all have a license, registration,where I had none of that so they just got a trespassing ticket. Dam crazy lady jumped out in front of my dad's friend in a blind corner and he almost ran her over.
7/3/2015 10:34am
njracer46 wrote:
I've been riding in a few areas in sj 50-100 times. Only had one run in with a ranger because we were riding a short cut...
I've been riding in a few areas in sj 50-100 times. Only had one run in with a ranger because we were riding a short cut back to our campsite really close to the parkway. I guess it depends which ranger you run into but we got about 500$ in tickets. That was well over 6 years ago, no problems since then. My dad and his friends got less because they all have a license, registration,where I had none of that so they just got a trespassing ticket. Dam crazy lady jumped out in front of my dad's friend in a blind corner and he almost ran her over.
That, is one of the reasons I left the East. Out West you can ride for days and never see another person, let alone law enforcement. I feel for you guys having to put up with illegal seizure of your property. That's fucked up....

Post a reply to: Track in South Jersey Stafford Township

The Latest