Track fees being raised in the Southern California region

SwingHard
6/1/2022 9:20am
SwingHard wrote:
$30-$40 for Unlimited laps on Practice days=Bargain!
$70-$100- on Race day for roughly 10-15 Total laps!
That $70-$100 is paying for a lot of resources not necessary and not utilized during a normal practice day. Flaggers, registration and scoring staff. Gas for...
That $70-$100 is paying for a lot of resources not necessary and not utilized during a normal practice day. Flaggers, registration and scoring staff. Gas for tractors. Tractor operators. Water. Insurance.

It is expensive to put on a race.
And I understand that completely but,at the end of the day it's still only a handful of laps.
walent215
6/1/2022 9:31am
The two tracks in NJ charge you 55 bucks.
walent215 wrote:
Is it a quality facility with good prep that you enjoy going back to ?
100 percent.
Annnd there it is !!
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
6/1/2022 9:42am
Lately I have been paying $45-50 at tracks, even the state park is charging $35 per bike just to ride trails.
I can understand the price increase, its hard to find people to work these days, especially when fast food joints are offering $18/hr.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3993rd
6/1/2022 10:02am
I don’t mind paying an extra 10 bucks. It’s already a 100 dollar day easy. Now with that being said, LE and Perris need to do there part on this trade off and provide the weekend crowd with some real prep.

The Shop

Motodave15
6/1/2022 10:08am
I guess none of you guys have other hobbies lol.

Golf - 18holes on a decent course - north of 50$ to 100$+
Track day - willow springs - 50$
Hockey - 25$ for a hour of ice-time (California, I know its cheap asf in Minnesota)
MTB Park - 55$

its all relative, but MX by far has the cheapest price to do lol.
6/1/2022 10:13am
15 min drive outside of Green Bay 200 for the yr 100 if ya race a off rd event. Not a full blown Mx track any more triples etc taken out. Another track in the pits. Technical trails in a small woods. Pic is 38 degrees in April wind and rain. Free camping. Kinda hard pack except for the back section. 1969 to aprox 2015 they had Mx races. Yrs ago it was rough with square holes and hard pack. It was only worked for a race then it was nice loam tilled deep with wood chips mixed in.

SoCalMX70
6/1/2022 10:28am
SwingHard wrote:
$30-$40 for Unlimited laps on Practice days=Bargain!
$70-$100- on Race day for roughly 10-15 Total laps!
That $70-$100 is paying for a lot of resources not necessary and not utilized during a normal practice day. Flaggers, registration and scoring staff. Gas for...
That $70-$100 is paying for a lot of resources not necessary and not utilized during a normal practice day. Flaggers, registration and scoring staff. Gas for tractors. Tractor operators. Water. Insurance.

SwingHard wrote:
And I understand that completely but,at the end of the day it's still only a handful of laps.
Depending on your age... The vet clubs put on long races. OTHG is timed motos 14-20 minutes depending on skill level with Support classes going 15 mins. So, 4 motos can easily be over an hour of riding (90 minutes if you do morning practice). Members pay $60 (for class + support) then $10 if transponder rental is needed.

Yes, it's expensive to put on a race and you will always get more potential laps with a practice day. Practice isn't racing though so it comes down to what you enjoy doing and whether or not you're a competitive person.

Personally, practice days are hardly ever enjoyable to me. I love racing, so it's an easy decision.
6/1/2022 10:39am
As others have mentioned, it’s comparatively very cheap compared to other hobbies. Don’t see many track owners getting rich off this, it seems to be subsidized by passion for the sport for many of them.
LungButter
6/1/2022 11:54am
$7/gallon diesel.....

What does a CAT burn while pushing dirt 7-8 gallons an hour?

4-5 MPG in a Water Truck running a PTO?

5-6 gallons per hour in a front end loader?

I'm not an equipment operator....those are mostly just guesses from conversations I've heard over the years.

I'd say buckle in, if tracks wanna stay open the fees are gonna keep going up...not just in Cali either.
Hammer 663s
6/1/2022 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2022 12:22pm
I'm probably in $3000 so far this year on my track. Mostly rental of heavy equipment, and I have a hookup with great pricing. But me and my boy have gotten at least 20-30 ride days and with the continued rain here we are not done yet. Plus some of my friends ride with us, and contribute to diesel for prep. I spend maybe $40 a week on diesel plus race gas for bikes, but we get the place all to ourselves and can put in a ton of laps in a short time. 2-3 ride days a week usually.

It's gotta be brutal running a public track now with costs are high as they are. I've no idea how anyone can turn a profit.

Mike
6/2/2022 9:07am

SwingHard wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Depending on your age... The vet clubs put on long races. OTHG is timed motos 14-20 minutes depending on skill level with Support classes going 15...
Depending on your age... The vet clubs put on long races. OTHG is timed motos 14-20 minutes depending on skill level with Support classes going 15 mins. So, 4 motos can easily be over an hour of riding (90 minutes if you do morning practice). Members pay $60 (for class + support) then $10 if transponder rental is needed.

Yes, it's expensive to put on a race and you will always get more potential laps with a practice day. Practice isn't racing though so it comes down to what you enjoy doing and whether or not you're a competitive person.

Personally, practice days are hardly ever enjoyable to me. I love racing, so it's an easy decision.
I,ve gone to a race numerous times with no practice for months. Sign up for 3 classes and let er rip. Work 4 weeks out of st or the country hhg drilling fly home load the bike up and race. I saw 5-29 Millville had 12 in 50a hoping 5-30 had more riders but they didn’t. The 125 class had 20 or 22 sat , sun the #,s fell off. Gate fee is free for 55 and up but there is no discount for multiple classes anymore. I think yt bids of racing will b big this yr because riders want to see what the event was like or I planned on doing the series this yr and now I can’t. Because of the cost.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
6/4/2022 5:43pm

SwingHard wrote:
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Depending on your age... The vet clubs put on long races. OTHG is timed motos 14-20 minutes depending on skill level with Support classes going 15...

I remember when the OTHG had enough members/racers we could charge $25 or $30 to race and still be in the black.

bvm111
6/4/2022 8:32pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Is Mesquite the only track you guys have locally now?
bvm111 wrote:
No the new management team closed it for the summer like two months ago, I ride Sandy Valley most weekends when i can ride just south...
No the new management team closed it for the summer like two months ago, I ride Sandy Valley most weekends when i can ride just south of vegas. It’s a smaller track but it’s only about an hour from the house and it’s fun overall. Mesquite is my kryptonite track, no matter the lay out or prep i ride like a compete beginner there… but if it’s my only choice i’ll ride there anyway!
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I didn't realize Sandy Valley was open again. I rode there once when I lived in Henderson and enjoyed it. It was good for night practice.
yes they opened back up maybe 2 years ago, it’s the same layout as you probably rode… not the greatest but it’s fun and you can get your laps in! Just slippery as hell after they water which is when the wrecks happen unfortunately, have to wait 15-20 minutes after the truck pulls off. They do regularly bring in fresh sand and make small changes to keep it interesting so that’s cool.
Yeti831
6/4/2022 9:12pm
They should raise track fees to $50 or more, simply to keep the degenerate riff-raff away from these tracks. $500 season pass. It's anywhere from $50-$75...
They should raise track fees to $50 or more, simply to keep the degenerate riff-raff away from these tracks.

$500 season pass. It's anywhere from $50-$75 for a bike park lift ticket at pretty much any of the West Coast ski resorts. If you can afford to load up and drive to a track, you can afford to pay extra for entry.
This.

OCA in Utah is $1000 a year, $500 for a working membership if you volunteer 20hrs each year.

They send you a key card in the mail, go whenever you want year round and it’s 10min from my house.

Jordan River used to have season passes precovid but they are only open 2-3 days a week and only from like 8am-2pm or something on the weekends.

6/4/2022 10:20pm
I watched the new Topgun this morning with my wife and spent close to $50 on a small popcorn, small soda, water bottle, hot dog and box of candy (not including ticket costs). I’d say $40 for a day of riding is a bargain these days.
alex69
6/5/2022 12:20am
In the USA the gear prices en fuel are cheap but the riding fee's are definitely not.
On my local track the fee is €120 p/y and you can ride twice a week on a good prepped and If needed watered track, there's also an €90 insurance needed for the amateurs that guilty on the most tracks in the Netherlands.
If you a pro you need a different license
If you not a member the fee is mostly €15/20 a day.
The biggest difference is we don't have commercial tracks here, they are run with volunteers.
Al the machinery are owned by the club and running and maintained by the members.
Our track has now the eye-track system that's only running on practice days so we don't need flaggers.

Post a reply to: Track fees being raised in the Southern California region

The Latest